Trigon/Lightning Fighters [Arcade]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Trigon/Lightning Fighters [Arcade]

Post by Perikles »

I'll gladly take over this thread with Ed Oscuro's permission, thus rounding off my small collection of obscure Konami arcade shmups. The old thread can be found here.

As with some other Konami shmups from that era, there are substantial differences between the original Trigon and the Western Lightning Fighters. The boards are split for that reason.

Since it's such an important (and rather opaque) aspect of the game, I'll quote Nifty's observation regarding the firepower in Trigon:
Nifty wrote:Found another trick too. Picking up the S weapon will increase the number of shots allowed on screen, but only as long as the fire button remains held down (visible here, in fact). Letting off the fire will set it back to 3. Moreover, the limit boost changes based on the current power level. Including the base level (counted as level zero), there are five levels of power, and the shot limit changes in a pattern of 3-4-!6!-4-3, giving a huge power/reliability boost to level three and especially level two compared to max power.
That's also the reason why you want to kill the stage 7 boss as fast possible, if you let it live long enough it will spew out so many missiles that your autofire starts to fail, thus resetting your firepower.

Emuser informed me that it makes quite a difference whether you play on MAME or on the PCB when it comes to the screen scrolling/bullet wobble, that's why I also think it's a good idea to keep that information.

Ergo, this would be the format:

Version
Name - Score - Stage - Autofire - Format

Trigon

Code: Select all

Name                 Score     Stage     Autofire    Format    
1. Emuser             2,357,550    2-8        Yes        MAME
2. Perikles           1,837,750    ALL        Yes        MAME         
3. DoubleThink          555,770    1-7        Yes        MAME   

Lightning Fighters

Code: Select all

Name                 Score     Stage     Autofire    Format    
1. DEL                 725,710     1-8        No         PCB
Last edited by Perikles on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perikles

Re: Trigon/Lightning Fighters [Arcade]

Post by Perikles »

Trigon

Perikles - 1,837,750 - ALL - Yes - MAME

Video

My recent 2-ALL. Didn't do any of the double K.O. shenanigans on the final boss because I really wanted to keep my lives together. Have to say that this is a nerve-racking second loop, dying in the last two stages is mostly out of the question, and considering how rough some of the sections are (such as the beginning of 2-9), you can lose your run in an instant.
tognirob

Re: Trigon/Lightning Fighters [Arcade]

Post by tognirob »

tognirob - 1,026,540 - 2-2 - Yes - MAME
Video