Metal Hawk [Arcade]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
maximo310

Metal Hawk [Arcade]

Post by maximo310 »

Use the defaults given in the settings which include- 3 lives, extends at 3,000, 6,000 and 9,000 points. Bonus, Timer, and Difficulty should be all set to B.
Post scores as

Code: Select all

NAME - SCORE - STAGE - AUTOFIRE - VERSION
Version will indicate if you've played the Japan or World version.
Edit: I think I just released that the revision F rom ( Japan) cooresponds to New version, while the regular world version ( Revision C) is for old version.

1. maximo - 10405 - ALL - Yes - Shmupmame v4.2 (Japan, Revision F)
2. BIL - 10,381 - ALL - YES - ACA HS Mode, PS4
World board (Old Version)

1. maximo - 10922 -  ALL  - Yes - Shmupmame v4.2 (World, Revision C)
Last edited by maximo310 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:30 am, edited 18 times in total.
maximo310

Re: Metal Hawk [Arcade]

Post by maximo310 »

maximo-4976- 6- MAME 0.172 (World)

Would have gotten further if I hadn't lost 3 lives on mission 5, but I not a fan of doing the Flying Fortress mission first.

Edit:

maximo- 6534- 6- MAME 0.172 (World)

Different stage order, but the game crashed on me in MAME during the middle of stage 6. It's a pretty big problem with this game, as all of my runs in the last two days have had MAME crash at different points.

Edit 2:
maximo-8,239-7- MAME 0.172 ( World)

Probably could have been more careful and gotten to mission 8.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

maximo-8925- ALL- No- MAME 0.172 (World)

Finally got the clear on my third run of the morning. Overall, I probably could have cleared with 2 extra lives instead of 1, but I wanted to play it safe on the final stage.
Youtube vid: https://youtu.be/M8-cmKknc1Q

Some tips for others:
- The Flying Fortress mission is good to kick out first, since the turrets aren't too aggressive and it makes it easy to get your first extend.
- Cross Fire is one of the harder missions just because of the aggressive turrets on those ships.
- Knowing the map layout is key to getting a huge score and staying alive, since the arrow can sometimes direct you to places that you don't want to go.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

maximo-9626-ALL-No-Shmupmame 4.2 (World)

https://imgur.com/sc50egS

Cleared w/ two extra lives.
- Lower rank stages should be easier to plan out know that I kinda have the turret timing down.
- Attack the Airbase has a really easy 1,000 pt strat ( got 930 on this run).
-Abuse altitude for higher rank stages.

My goal is to push past 10k, and make a vid when I get to a good point total that I feel satisfied with. Good thing is that this game is super easy to come back and throw a credit or too thanks to its short runtime.

Edit 1 (6/15/2018): After dealing with a heart breaking game over on the last stage, got this a few runs later:

https://imgur.com/fOVBWtu

maximo - 10033 - ALL - No - Shmupmame v4.2 (World)

Finally got 1,000 on the Attack the Airbase stage. Need better score strats on Tank Buster & The Last Target stages ( possibly first stage as well). Also, i recc Shmupmame v4.2 as that seems to crash less often than other versions. When I tried using older MAME versions used in clears on MARP ( 0.67 & 0.69), the controls were extremely floaty, so idk how people cleared w/ that version.

Edit 2 (6/16/2018)
https://imgur.com/2QY8qDW

maximo - 10187 - ALL - No - Shmupmame v4.2 (World)

Edit 3 (6/22/2018)
https://imgur.com/DlDibXc

maximo - 10624- ALL - No - Shmupmame v4.2 (World)

Decided to do Taskforce first.... along with a better time in Cross Fire resulted in some nice gains.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Two new scores since I realized that the Japan rom has differences vs the World rom ( although I think that's because the former cooresponds to the New version, while the latter is for Old version)

After getting a very dicey 1cc, I've found a few differences w/ the Revision F JP rom compared to my previous clears on the Revision C World rom:
- After completing the first 2 stages, the helicopters that spawn in the stages afterwards will start firing bullets aimed at your direction
- As you complete more stages, the frequency of helicopter spawns increases ( possibly more than the World version)
- In addition, you have a few new enemy types, such as a black/grey plane that take a few hits to destroy (canal zone/cross fire iirc), & a twin blade helicopter that fires a four bullet spread ( canal zone). There might be more differences; will have to check later, but I can defenitely say that the New version is a tougher clear than Old version.

- I also found out that there's also an extend at 12,000 points, but based on the replay I've seen, you need to be efficiently speedkilling turrets and clear the stage with as much time as possible using auto for your main & ground bomb shots. Link to said replay ( 13,781 ALL at Mikado; player: Zn-T) : https://youtu.be/5-VF2hBiLzk

Japan:
maximo - 10405 - ALL - Yes - Shmupmame v4.2 (Japan, Revision F)

World:
maximo - 10922 - ALL - Yes - Shmupmame v4.2 (World, Revision C)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Didn't realise we had a thread for this superb time attack STG! Here's my early attempt. I was going more for survival than score, 80s action hero style. :mrgreen:

BIL - 10,381 - ALL - YES - ACA HS Mode, PS4

Replay

Apologies if I screwed up the version listing; from what I can tell, the ACA release includes JP and World versions, both based on the NEW revision; the Hi Score Mode forces you to play the latter, but AFAIK, there's no actual difference, beyond the opening message being in English.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

BIL wrote:Didn't realise we had a thread for this superb time attack STG! Here's my early attempt. I was going more for survival than score, 80s action hero style. :mrgreen:

BIL - 10,381 - ALL - YES - ACA HS Mode, PS4

Replay

Apologies if I screwed up the version listing; from what I can tell, the ACA release includes JP and World versions, both based on the NEW revision; the Hi Score Mode forces you to play the latter, but AFAIK, there's no actual difference, beyond the opening message being in English.
Added; great run! If the ACA release includes JP/World new revisions, I'll have to take a look around and check out some of the other vids out there to see if the enemy differences ( in my previous post) are just a JP-only change.