Mr. Heli no Daibouken [Arcade/PCE]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Mr. Heli no Daibouken [Arcade/PCE]

Post by Perikles »

Also known as Battle Chopper. Exquisite little game that may fool you with its cute appearance – it's quite tough, just like some other Irem games. There are quite a few ports for various home computers (C64, Amiga, Spectrum, etc.) which I will include in case of interest.

Please tell me everything what might be important regarding the arcade version, I recall reading that there are some significant differences between the regional versions, that might be completely wrong, though.

As always, one credit only.

Please format your submissions like in this example:

Name - Score - Stage - Autofire - (plus the regional version in case of the arcade version)

Arcade

Code: Select all

Name         Score     Stage   Autofire    Version       
1. Perikles     303,430     ALL       ON       Mr. Heli      
2. Dumple       287,110     ALL       OFF    Battle Chopper 
PCE

Arcade Mode

Name         Score     Stage   Autofire     
1. Perikles     462,000     ALL       ON        
Normal Mode

Name         Score     Stage   Autofire     
1. Perikles     477,220     ALL       ON       
Last edited by Perikles on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
Perikles

Re: Mr. Heli no Daibouken [Arcade/PCE]

Post by Perikles »

PCE – Normal Mode

Perikles – 466,860 – 2-5 – ON

I should try to clear the Arcade Mode one of these days. It's mercilessly cruel, but also a ton of fun.

Edit: Why did I call it "Original Mode"? It's "Normal Mode".
Last edited by Perikles on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

PCE - Arcade Mode

Perikles - 446,350 - 2-5 - ON

Gotcha now, Mr. Heli! I even got as far as I did on Normal Mode, the 2-5 boss is as terrifying as ever. After failing again and again I figured out how to cope with Arcade Mode: rank management. Enemies get way too aggressive when you buy all the missile and weapon upgrades, it's decidedly more prudent to stick to one weapon upgrade and perhaps one missile upgrade (I do recommend buying all the bomb upgrades, though). Another odd thing is the life bar: you can invisibly prolong it by buying the cheaper item, buying the more expensive one seems to be detrimental, even! Can't wait to check out the arcade game itself. :)

Also got a smug picture of Mr. Heli posing for the camera after killing the final boss:

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Arcade

Perikles - 303,430 - ALL - ON - Mr. Heli

Video

Please add whether you've played Mr. Heli or Battle Chopper for the arcade version, considering that there are so many Irem titles with (partly) significant regional differences it's probably prudent to note that just in case.

Anyway, I was quite surprised that Mr. Heli does not loop, unlike both modes on the PCE! Really cements the superb action platformer quality which is also big part of the reason why my score is fairly low: I played it as brisk and uncompromising as I could (within methodical boundaries, of course, reckless abandon will only reward you with an early grave in this game, it's definitely the hardest Irem 1-ALL I've seen so far even though it might look easy) and managed to beat the game on one life which I consider to be much more fun than to stall the clock and milk enemy waves. Wouldn't want to ruin such a stylish game solely for points.

The strategies I developed for the PCE arcade mode worked out perfectly even though the arcade game is even harder than the already tough arcade mode on the PCE. I explained the general approach as well as the quirky nature to the health system once more in the video description in case anyone is interested. Also found a trademark Irem safespot for the final boss. Image

At first I thought the arcade game just might be an iota too difficult for its own good, now I think of it as one of the finest action platformers that happens to be a shmup, too! This is one of the quintessential games for every Ninja Ryukenden Task Force member, smugly walking around and tossin' bombs on unaware enemies is the most satisfying thing since languidly turning bosses to shred with the whirlwind slash.

The only tantalizingness to this glorious success is the fact that I'm slowly running out of Irem games. :[
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

PCE - Arcade Mode

Perikles - 462,000 - ALL - ON

PCE - Normal Mode

Perikles - 477,220 - ALL - ON

Not much of an improvement in score (no loitering/milking, as usual), getting the 2-ALLs is what counts! After getting the 2-ALL in the Normal Mode with minimal effort I thought it shouldn't be too daunting to repeat that process in the Arcade Mode, was beatifically grinning when the game tore me apart at first. It's astounding how minimal changes of the parameters (more projectiles, harsher damage with enemy bullets) can change the overall rhythm so much. Such an incredible effort that they appended a second loop as they were wont to do in many of their games, it fits like a glove, I genuinely missed it in the original arcade game since I played the port first. I also find it interesting that you always start the second loop fully powered up, I still like to play the port with my low rank strategy, but there's no denying that you have a much easier time early on in the loop. There's no way I could beat the 2-5 boss with missiles that are upgraded beyond level 1, it's worth the one life overall, though. Almost adds a layer of rank control to the game, not entirely unlike Gokujou Parodius. Haaaaa, nothing like 16-bit Irem/Konami. Image
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

Arcade

Dumple - 287,110 - ALL - OFF - Battle Chopper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyHD9aZQzzE

Note that recent MAME versions (including 0.193) softlock on Mr.Heli during stage 1 when the autoscroller starts; for whatever reason, Battle Chopper is unaffected.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Spoiler
ImageImage
Arcade
Kino - 422,490 - ALL - ON - Battle Chopper
Kino

Post by Kino »

Spoiler
Image Image
Arcade
Kino - 961,760 - Stage 6 - ON - Battle Chopper

Did the stage 6 leech, I regret nothing.