Kiki Kaikai/Pocky & Rocky [Arcade/MSX/PCE/SFC/SNES/GBA]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Kiki Kaikai/Pocky & Rocky [Arcade/MSX/PCE/SFC/SNES/GBA]

Post by Perikles »

Since SAM doesn't seem to be active anymore, I'll just take over the thread. The old one can be found here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6217

Please use the default settings for all of those games, and only one credit, of course. SAM didn't want to include autofire scores for the arcade version for some reason, I'm just going to take a separate note for it since I don't see a reason why it should be banned.

Kiki Kaikai (Arcade)

Code: Select all

Name       Score   Scene  Platform  Autofire
1. Square_Air  508,100    10     MAME      Yes
2. Perikles    390,900    11     MAME      Yes
3. SAM         356,700    10     PCB       No
4. Bloodreign  102,500    3      MAME      No
Kiki Kaikai (MSX)

Name       Score    Scene
1. Shatterhand    7,400      1
Kiki Kaikai (PCE)

Name        Score   Scene
1. Perikles      347,350   ALL
2. project_ako   193,550    6 
3. Bloodreign     58,100    2 
Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto/Pocky & Rocky (SFC/SNES)

Normal

Name       Score   Scene  Character 
1.  Perikles     612,510   ALL     Sayo 
2.  Macaw        592,390   ALL    Manuke
3.  CIT          533,700   ALL     Sayo
4.  Kino         516,110   ALL     Sayo
5.  Fogelmir     500,760   ALL     Sayo
6.  GaijinPunch  500,610   ALL     Sayo
7.  Edge         491,630   ALL     Sayo
8.  SAM          252,020    4     Manuke
9.  OneEyedJack  153,700    3      ???
10. Carmen       134,320   ???     Sayo
Hard

Name       Score   Scene  Character 
1.  Perikles     589,470   ALL     Sayo 
Kiki Kaikai: Tsukiyozoushi/Pocky & Rocky 2 (SFC/SNES)

Name       Score     Scene
1. Fu        9,999,990    ALL 
2. Perikles  1,051,063    ALL
3. Edge       329,244      7
4. Carmen     273,107      6
Pocky & Rocky with Becky (GBA)

Name   Score   Scene  Character
1. Andi  126,700    7      Manuke
Last edited by Perikles on Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ProjectAKo

Re: Kiki Kaikai/Pocky & Rocky [Arcade/MSX/PCE/SFC/SNES/GBA]

Post by ProjectAKo »

http://www.twitch.tv/project_ako/c/5662276 at 20:17

PC Engine. Score when I lost the 1cc was

Name			Score	Scene
project_ako	193550	6	
Kino

Post by Kino »

Old score from a couple years back.

Kiki Kaikai SFC
Kino - 516,110 - ALL - Sayo

Akuma pose
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Kiki Kaikai - PCE

Perikles - 347,350 - ALL

Well, well, would you look at that! After many botched attempts I managed to beat the game without dying even once. Could've been a lot better scoringwise, but I'm more satisfied with this result. :)

Edit: Looks like the other host I used is out of business, added a working picture.
Last edited by Perikles on Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice job! I've been trying to get into the arcade version more, but the random enemy and item drops make progression difficult. Is the PCE version any different in this regard, or perhaps easier?
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I haven't played the arcade version as of now (I do need to rectify that, I own a copy of the Taito Legends 2 compilation after all) but it looks like the arcade version might be slightly more difficult (just judging from a video). However, you don't have as much space to move around in the PCE version, so it might balance itself out. The PCE versions seems to be a very faithful port overall. Item drops are random except for a few hidden ones. I believe that most enemies in both versions spawn in fixed locations unless you back off and push the screen - madness ensues if you try to run away. It reminds me a lot of Ninja Gaiden (the NES/Famicom game) which also punishes you severely for not pressing forward all the time. I'll contribute more substantial thoughts once I actually played the arcade version. :)

I just noticed a rather enthralling thing: SAM denoted that he reached Scene 10 - yet the game ends after Scene 8. Does the arcade version loop? The PCE version definitely ends after one loop.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Might as well add my newer Kiki Kaikai: Tsukiyozoushi score I got a while ago:

Perikles - 1,051,063 - ALL

Got a few more points (end-of-level bonus), but whatever. Found out that it is indeed possible to counterstop this game with enough patience. Takes a two-digit amount of hours, though. Respects to Fu for having such a sturdy disposition.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Arcade

Perikles - 390,900 - 11/2-3 - MAME - Yes

Video

I originally wanted a clean 1LC of the first loop, but that heroic pièce de résistance in scene 7 was just too good to not let it be the run to post. One particularly nasty critter (Rumuru) managed to grab poor Sayo-chan, dragging her along on the slim gangplanks. I try to fend him off for a moment and then I make a run for it - and survive. :mrgreen: Great fun was had, probably my favourite personal shmup moment this year alongside the dodging session in Image Fight's harrowing 2-7 (Japanese version). Lovely, lovely game, will learn the second loop at some point, too, it's refreshingly mean. :o

As for your question, EmperorIng (better late than never, I suppose): the PCE's boss fights are definitely harder due to the smaller screen (especially the fifth boss can be really troublesome), the stages on the other hand are tougher in the arcade version. It's not a huge difference overall, though, if you can beat the one you can beat the other game, too.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ha ha, I've since grabbed the PCE port. I'm always a slavish idiot for Taito. :mrgreen:

Both in the arcade and the PCE version, the boss hitboxes always feel really funky to me. It feels as if you are not hitting them at precisely the correct spot, you're doing less than nothing.

I'll be glad to watch your run and gain some tips; the agonizingly erratic thunder boss usually ruins my run and my powerups in the arcade, whereas the PCE port allows me to live for at least another stage or two. I already notice that you keep slightly off-center of the tengu boss on st3 to keep him from using those wind-attacks with the stupidly-huge hitboxes.

EDIT: My reaction during the dock sequence in your video. Do those things really hold on for that long?

And do those items you find in the final escape sequence have any significance, or are they just points bonuses?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Is there anything interesting about Knight Boy?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Pardon the late response, guys, I really wanted to get Tatsujin Ou out of the way before looking into Kiki Kaikai again. :)
EmperorIng wrote:I already notice that you keep slightly off-center of the tengu boss on st3 to keep him from using those wind-attacks with the stupidly-huge hitboxes.
Yes, that's the idea. As you pointed out already it's surprisingly tough to hit those bosses despite their size, but I rather approach them methodical than getting hit by some of their nastier attacks.
EmperorIng wrote:Do those things really hold on for that long?
I have the suspicion it's random. Sometimes they come off really fast, sometimes they cling onto you forever. I've read that you can get rid of them by standing near a lamppost, I think that's just fiendish slander, though.
EmperorIng wrote:And do those items you find in the final escape sequence have any significance, or are they just points bonuses?
You need all three scrolls or else the stage never ends. I just did a bit of testing, you can get massive points out of this section. Just hug the left wall, run all the time and shoot diagonally. The death cloud (which spawns everywhere in the game when you take too long) will never catch up with you, so provided you can dodge the projectiles you're fine. If you still have one of those freezing orbs: they last an absurd amount of time in this section, I had to fast-forward for quite a while before I died. That's probably the counterstop bug the Japanese players discovered.

Despatche wrote:Is there anything interesting about Knight Boy?
Played a few stages, seems pretty identical on first glance. No apparent differences whatsoever, at least in the beginning.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for the info; I don't know if I would have figured out the three-scroll thing. MAME replays tend to unload autofire to kill most bosses quickly - though when I try that I find myself vulnerable more often than not.
Perikles wrote:I've read that you can get rid of them by standing near a lamppost, I think that's just fiendish slander, though.
I'm sure you know, but I thought it was a neat trick that walking through a torii gate kills monsters. It makes sense since that is supposed to be the entrance to a sacred space.

EDIT:

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED. Please post scores in the new score thread.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Square_Air - 508,100 - 10/2-2 - ShmupMAME v4.2 - Yes

The Mars Matrix procrastination continues. Kiki Kaikai was a fun excursion despite the silly RNG, daft hitboxes, and a few nasty checkpoint recoveries. If this game had some of its kinks ironed out I'd say it was among the best, but it settles for just being pretty good instead. My score is decently high for the point in the game I made it to solely because I had a freezing orb left at the 8th scene which allowed me to milk an easy 100k. Making it to the final stage in any loop with plenty of blue orbs seems to be the ideal scoring method, excluding the infinite. You can also get a small amount of extra points by milking the skeletons (Garakotsu) from behind the walls of the boss arenas before you activate said encounter until the death cloud shows up. I wish for great misfortune to fall upon all the red huggers (Rumuru) and the jumping fish (Hashiri Tai).

The ending just cracks me up though. After you toil to rescue all the Gods they're just like "Sayo, where the fuck is our boat?" The last stage is just getting their boat back so they can go get lit in Hawaii or whatever. As soon as you see the boat the game abruptly ends and rolls the credits like finding this boat was the true purpose of your adventure. Genius.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto

Normal

Perikles - 612,510 - ALL - Sayo

Hard

Perikles - 589,470 - ALL - Sayo

Loved every second of it, can most certainly imagine to improve those scores further! Still one more life to sacrifice, and one of those given up already might be spent elsewhere.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Kiki Kaikai: Nazo No Kuro Manto
Normal

Square_Air - 535,760 - ALL - Sayo

Cleared Pocky & Rocky a few days ago, loved it so much that I went for the 1 life clear in the Japanese version. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse by saying this, but this is easily one of the best console shmups. I'll probably try and figure out some milks in this one for giggles eventually, just as an excuse to return to this game.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |