G.I. Joe [Arcade]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

G.I. Joe [Arcade]

Post by Despatche »

is too a shmup
----------
2 lives, difficulty 4/Medium. Every version has different default loop settings: Japan has one, world has two, and US has infinite. There are probably gameplay changes as well.

Please don't use autofire for this game.
----------
Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

VERSION
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - PLAYER SIDE/CHARACTER - DETAILS
DETAILS is for what model of console and release of cart/disc, or what emulator and version. If you have a board of this game and it has something different, please mention this... and please send it to MAME!

1. BareKnuckleRoo - 2 8 2 1 -  ALL  - 1P/Roadblock  - MAME Plus v0.168
 2. DenT4F         - 2 2 3 8 -  2-2  - 1P/Scarlett   - ShmupMAME v4.2
EAB (World)

1. Despatche      - 1 3 7 6 - 1-2-1 - 1P/Snake-Eyes - ShmupMAME v3.0b
UAB (US)
Last edited by Despatche on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: G.I. Joe [Arcade]

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Wow, wasn't expecting to even see a scoreboard for this here. Posting stuff from Calice Cup. It's a lot of fun to play, hadn't had the opportunity to try it before, but I'm a huge fan of Wild Guns and that sort of game. I was apparently the only person to 1CC this during it, though teammate Jakazam also posted a solid score that ended at the final boss and I think a few other people made it there but not quite at the clear.

All the characters are functionally identical as far as I can tell. The ones with smaller sprites are a bit better for visibility perhaps, but Roadblock has spicy MR BODY MASSAGE MACHINE memes going for him, so I used him.

It's surprisingly forgiving since there's tons of health items in this even if you screw up. However good luck 1CCing it if you can't no-miss to the final boss. Getting there really isn't too difficult to learn to do reliably and consistently until you reach Destro who is a huge asshole of a boss where he has tons of giant attacks, sends speedboats to ram you, and has massive and difficult to dodge sweeps that really demand missiles to cancel them on his final phase. I had a bunch of trouble until I realized that on his last and most difficult phase, you can damage him directly instead of the hovercraft to stagger him, and you can get a feel for the stagger timing on him to interrupt him just as he starts doing the ultra dangerous sweep.

The last stage isn't too bad, though it feels like it takes forever to get a rapid item back if you got hit during Destro (and you probably did). Cobra Commander himself is extremely difficult and I find a bit of luck is involved in hoping some of his attacks don't hit you since they're massive. The electric beams are super fast, and his flame wave seems very hard to misdirect reliably. Quick killing his orbs is very useful for the first phase in stopping the electric beams, whereas the last phase seems to follow a learnable pattern, and you can cancel the dangerous grenades he tosses if you have trouble dodging them. He also can be staggered there which helps if it happens right as he starts an attack as it interrupts that one and forces him to use the next.

Japanese Version
BareKnuckleRoo - 2787 - ALL - 1P/Roadblock - ShmupMAME 4.2, no autofire as per tourney rules (my poor finger though, went through most of the Destro fight, final stage, and final boss without a rapid item)

(the reason it shows 2nd place in the screenshot is because I had a run where I gameovered at final boss prior, and popped in a credit to finish him off, which apparently doesn't reset the score, so credit feeding can apparently score higher than a 1cc, go figure)
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I'm just glad to see someone submit something. Thank you!
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Japan
DenT4F - 2238 - 2-2 - 1P/Scarlett - ShmupMAME v4.2

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd like to thank the Destro fight for ACTUALLY COOPERATING WITH ME FOR A CHANGE and for Cobra Commander for unexpectedly dropping A HEALTH ITEM DURING HIS FIRST PHASE <3.

Japanese Version
BareKnuckleRoo - 2821 - ALL - 1P/Roadblock - MAME Plus 0.168 (just to see if I could get a working INP file, seems like it)

Note: I used autofire for this because after testing it seems there's no penalty for using it, the game doesn't care in the slightest and nobody likes that button mashing in the last stage after you've inevitably taken a hit on Destro and a rapid only drops at the end. If you don't want to accept the score, that's fine, but because there's a hard cap on how fast the game registers button inputs you can't ever fire faster than you would with the Rapid item. And there's no damage advantage of playing with autofire vs just pressing the button very quickly or having the rapid item, so autofire basically just removes the decidedly un-fun mechanic of the game penalizing players who take a hit with having to button mash. Later games in the same style such as Wild Guns evolved to be made with autofire in mind (with minor spurts of mashing to lasso enemies), and there were at least a few players who've tried this and were discouraged from playing it further due to the lack of autofire. G.I. Joe also has little to no reason to ever stop shooting at any time, aside from not killing the second yellow crane in the cavern too quickly (or it'll drop on your head and hit you).

Rapid items normally don't take too long to drop if you lose it, but there are still spots where you will have to go a minute or so without seeing a Rapid item, and as previously mentioned, if you got hit during Destro (and you probably did), you'll go the entire final level without seeing a Rapid item drop except near the very end from the last few waves of purple helicopters. Exciting! :/

You get your choice of video, either the run itself on Youtube or the original live recording on Twitch and the chat replete with the dankest of G.I. Joe memes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3CH2PVUVlc

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/519951735