* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:57 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams [Arcade/PCE/X68000/PS1/NG
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:35 pm 

PC Engine

Perikles - 564,820 - 2-ALL

Aw yeah, bow down before my (not so) awesome Cotton skills! :mrgreen: Ever since I saw you guys getting the 2-ALL I knew I had to do it, too. Refined my survival strategies considerably, there was probably not a single spot during the second loop where I had less than 12+ lives. Once you know the appropriate modus operandi for all the bosses it becomes fairly easy (still not so sure about the dragon, though, it's still awkward to dodge the whirling fireballs if you're on top of him; there's a safespot in the lower left for most of his patterns, but not all of them). Great, great game, seriously considering giving it a spot on the upcoming top 25! It's such a jest trying to get the secret bonus, too, unlike in Cotton 100% where I can never get it for some reason.

Will post a Cotton Original score next time I dig out my PS1, I've cleared it quite a while ago, score's pathetic, however. Say, Kino, is it challenging to 2-ALL the arcade version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:09 am 

Damn, nice one! How many hours did you milk the Stage 1 boss? :mrgreen:

The arcade version isn't that tough to 2-ALL, but you'll likely want to enable autofire (I've never 2-ALL'd it any other way...) The lack of safespots during the Stage 5 & Stage 6 boss fights can be troubling, if you're more used to the PCE version.

From most to least difficult, I'd rank them like so;

X68K > Arcade > PCE >>> PS1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:41 am 

Kino wrote:
Damn, nice one! How many hours did you milk the Stage 1 boss? :mrgreen:

Not at all, actually. I got eight secret bonus rounds and a lot of points for picking up crystals/orbs while being maxed out. I murdered the first boss right away on either loop. :)

And thanks for the information! How come that the X68000 version is harder than the arcade game?

Edit: Great videos you got there! Ultra rapid sure helps out for Cotton Original's Hard difficulty I'd surmise? :o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:36 pm 

Ah, that's right. I'd forgotten how much of a difference not bombing and only collecting red/blue crystals makes...

The X68000 port altered the level design considerably, certain bosses have been replaced with new ones (the sphinx of Stage 4 was replaced by a flying serpent, for example), and existing bosses have new (less predictable) attack patterns. Even though it lacks the second loop, and even though it's more forgiving about powering you down when you die, I'd still say it's a trickier clear than the arcade overall.

The harder difficulty modes are amazing, btw. "You Do!" mode comes highly recommended by yours truly. 8)

Perikles wrote:
Ultra rapid sure helps out for Cotton Original's Hard difficulty I'd surmise? :o

For sure, but it's not like the game even needs it. Between lowered HP for bosses, Hard mode's shrunken hitbox (quite handy for the Secret Bonus!), and complete invincibility during Barrier magic, a 1-life clear is already a trivial affair. I'd have improved that modest score I posted by now, if I didn't find the PSX port so wholly unsatisfying.

EDIT: This thing

Cotton X68000
Kino - 1,272,630 - Hardest - ALL
Part 1 Part 2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:38 am 

Cotton Original - Normal

Perikles - 929,310 - ALL

I don't want to play this any longer, it really is disappointing compared to the splendid PCE CD port. I also hate, hate, hate playing without autofire - yes, it's absolutely not necessary in this game, I still despise having to tap or mash buttons, it's a pet peeve of mine ever since. Furthermore I'm convinced that this particular port just loves to rain on my parade, I never get more than two secret bonus rounds for some godforsaken reason (here I got one in stage 1 and one in stage 5 (!), both stage 2 and 3 screwed me over in the last possible moment with an unavoidable wall of tea cups :roll:). I shall return with an arcade score one day!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:42 am 

Indeed. It's by far the worst port of Cotton that's still worth playing. (Although I must admit, I quite fancy Hard mode's hitbox. Makes obtaining the Secret Bonus almost as consistent as the later games! Didn't mind having to tap for rapidfire, either.)

Good luck with the arcade score! I myself have been trying to uncover the secrets to that WR lately... not having much luck. Beyond getting a NMNB, only picking up red/blue crystals, getting the secret bonus, and destroying the idols, no one seems to know how scoring works. The only bosses you can milk are the tree mid-boss (who times out after 40 seconds) and Medusa (who times out after 3:30), so clearly there's something else going on. I'm curious as to whether it has something to do with the bubbles in Stage 1? (you get a bit of points by 'grinding' them... perhaps by keeping them on screen the entire level, that would account for 700k or so?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:05 am 

Keep it up, im sure you can figure it out through testing stuff in savestates

http://www.twitch.tv/project_ako/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:52 am 

Perikles wrote:
I never get more than two secret bonus rounds for some godforsaken reason (here I got one in stage 1 and one in stage 5 (!), both stage 2 and 3 screwed me over in the last possible moment with an unavoidable wall of tea cups :roll:).

Yeah, I could only ever get it on the first 3 stages, too many tea cups after that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:03 pm 

ProjectAKo wrote:
Keep it up, im sure you can figure it out through testing stuff in savestates

Savestates for this game are all screwy in mame, unfortunately. Aside from that, I'm quickly losing my motivation. There are much more interesting (not to mention much less cryptic) Cotton games to play for score, after all.

Also

Kino wrote:
The only bosses you can milk are the tree mid-boss [...] and Medusa

lol i'm so full of shit sometimes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:10 am 

Cotton Arcade

Kino - 2,376,380 - 2-ALL - 30Hz

Second loop didn't go well at all. Was 1 for 6 with the secret bonus, and I found out the hard way that Sphinx-milking doesn't work in loop 2 (not the way it does in loop 1, anyhow)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:02 am 

Cotton Arcade

Kino - 2,409,280 - 2-ALL - 30Hz

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 am 

Arcade

Perikles - 2,113,190 - 2-ALL - 30Hz

Video

Maaaan! I was of course not expecting to come even close to Kino's score after just a few hours of playing the game and not learning the proper milking routines, but I'm bummed nonetheless. Didn't lose a single life all the way to 2-6, and then I die twice to those dumb idols. While these are just plain silly (not enthusiastic about the high resilience of enemies in the second loop) I don't have any excuse for my horrendous performance on the dragon afterwards. Oh well. I was playing "cottonja" in case it's important.

At least now I know why the PCE port explicitly asks you whether you want to play the second loop or not. It always struck me as odd, I couldn't presage that you have to actually put in a second coin in the arcade coin to play the second loop, that's rather insolent! And like Kino I also have no idea how on earth to get 4m or more in this game, even with perfect milking, every secret bonus, no lives lost and a lot of colored crystals you're not even going to hit 3m...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:07 pm 

After owning and enjoying this game for a while I'd like to add my say to the scoreboard. :mrgreen:

PCE CD version:

EmperorIng - 2-3 - 312,850

Man, I screwed up a lot during that first loop. I somehow misjudged the 5th-stage boss's safe-spot, sending me all out of whack and underpowered for the final stage. Thank goodness for that generous safe-spot for the dragon, or else I don't know how I would have dealt with him otherwise. The final boss was cheesed accordingly, as well.

I guess it's kinda bad that so many bosses, especially at the latter half, can be dispatched with a few simple tricks, but this game's ginormous hitbox makes me nervous enough as it is despite the lives being handed out like Willow candies. The lack of fire-power really makes you vulnerable in the later stages since everything just has much more health.

My quick death into the second loop was due to the newfound realization that every enemy has more health now, so my simple strategies of bombing particular larger enemies (notably stage 1's midboss) left me woefully unprepared for a nasty surprise.

Still, this was a perfect shmup to open up the Halloween season with! :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:48 pm 

Hey guys. I just started playing this game a little bit myself. It wont help your scores out very much but on stage 1 after the first stone head (not sure of the logistics of this) but you go about an inch away from the bottom right of the screen and constantly drop bombs it will reveal another stone head just before "stone face."

There are probably more of these reveals throughout the game but definitely not 2m worth. Also, the bubbles (at least on stage 1) do not stay on the screen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:35 pm 

Yeah, that hidden idol in stage 1 is a tricky one to get. Even if you activate him, he might fly too low on his trip back to grab the imprisoned fairy.

At this point, the only theory I have left on where that last million comes from.... I think it has something to do with those invincible stack-of-pumpkin enemies in stages 2 & 3. If you can somehow get the faeries to stay punching one of them for the entire level, that should make up the difference easily. Haven't yet figured out a way to make it happen, though.

With any luck, Ako will take up this game at some point. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 pm 

As I've recently come to learn, this is, in fact, a thing. So now only that last 800K remains shrouded in mystery.

Progress.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:12 pm 

Kino - 2,536,760 - 2-ALL - 30Hz
Replay

Sphinx Milking Strategy 2.0 payed dividends. Got a respectable increase in spite of a dismal showing at Tea Time (Success and their luck-based scoring mechanics strike again :roll: ), and being a total pussy w/r/t destroying the idols during Loop 2's later half.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:17 am 

Kino - 1,287,330 - ALL - You Do!
Replay

Piece of cake. 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:26 pm 

Cotton You Do! is such a troll difficulty. But I'm glad you persevered! You make me want to try my hand at finally beating the 68K remake... But anything harder than the PCE is 2hard 4 this scrub :oops:

Offline Profile