Blue Wish Resurrection/Plus

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Blue Wish Resurrection/Plus [PC]

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sure, I'll upload both so you can see edit: youtube upload here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu2ZwwoAIZM - I'm sure you could beat my score as I'm nowhere near as consistent as I'd like to be, I found it was just a matter of learning to squeeze out points out of all the ideal cancels as possible. Watching your run, I was really inspired to try and reach at least that next extend, but I found to get there I had to play way more anal-retentively about scoring, and even then I wouldn't have been able to reach your score without watching your run, I never even thought to bomb at the end of stage 4 for those chests (and it took me forever to think about bombing the midbosses, all my non-Plus BWR scores were done without either, ick). I had a Mediafire account I think but I can't remember what it is, so I'm making another one now.

Stage 1 is by far the finickiest to learn the super optimal bits (I found by not killing fewer enemies to get more bullet cancels helped a lot), and even then I rarely hit 3.9 mil end of stage, I usually get 3.85 mil... Not sure what happened on that stage 2 of my current best run, I think I screwed up and missed the cancel on that giant bullet spray the midboss uses.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/lv4fry7qv ... eplay2.dat - the one with better st1, 2 and 3 scores

http://www.mediafire.com/view/373yvktye ... eplay3.dat - my high scoring one

I don't know if 54 mil is possible with Hope outside of ridiculous amounts of pointblanking and a perfect run. You certainly can't get it by using the rapid shot to milk bosses since it does comparable damage to the laser, and the laser actually seems to give you more points when I did tests in Practice (it's not like Peace where you can use the weak shot type to get a ton of extra points)...

A lot of my favourite games seem to involve pointblanking for scoring (Futari, SSS, now this)... >_>;
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Sure, I'll upload both so you can see - I'm sure you could beat my score as I'm nowhere near as consistent as I'd like to be, I found it was just a matter of learning to squeeze out points out of all the ideal cancels as possible. Watching your run, I was really inspired to try and reach at least that next extend, but I found to get there I had to play way more anal-retentively about scoring, and even then I wouldn't have been able to reach your score without watching your run, I never even thought to bomb at the end of stage 4 for those chests (and it took me forever to think about bombing the midbosses, all my non-Plus BWR scores were done without either, ick). I had a Mediafire account I think but I can't remember what it is, so I'm making another one now.

Stage 1 is by far the finickiest to learn the super optimal bits (I found by not killing fewer enemies to get more bullet cancels helped a lot), and even then I rarely hit 3.9 mil end of stage, I usually get 3.85 mil... Not sure what happened on that stage 2 of my current best run, I think I screwed up and missed the cancel on that giant bullet spray the midboss uses.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/lv4fry7qv ... eplay2.dat - the one with better st1, 2 and 3 scores

http://www.mediafire.com/view/373yvktye ... eplay3.dat - my high scoring one

I don't know if 54 mil is possible with Hope outside of ridiculous amounts of pointblanking and a perfect run. You certainly can't get it by using the rapid shot to milk bosses since it does comparable damage to the laser, and the laser actually seems to give you more points when I did tests in Practice (it's not like Peace where you can use the weak shot type to get a ton of extra points)...

A lot of my favourite games seem to involve pointblanking for scoring (Futari, SSS, now this)... >_>;
Cool, thanks. I'm always curious about what I could not know about at this point.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Improved Hope and Peace scores. The Peace score is still garbage, a 1 Miss with not enough boss milking. I had a great Peace run going tonight but then it fell apart at stage 5 and I'm tired, so bedtime. :/

Blue Wish Resurrection - Heaven - Green Hope
BareKnuckleRoo - 37,917,450 - ALL - Guard Off

Blue Wish Resurrection - Heaven - Green Peace, not the hippie kind
BareKnuckleRoo - 34,910,790 - ALL - Guard Off

maybe i'm a tad obsessed with Heaven
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I thought I was going crazy, but I've run into a run-ending bug twice now in the vanilla version. Basically, you'll randomly have one of your movement directions 'stuck'. One time I couldn't stop moving up (except by pressing down), and another time as Peace I couldn't stop moving left. It's an extremely rare bug, but pausing, dying and bombing don't fix it. It's really weird when it happens horizontally since it screws up the graphics too. My ship was constantly stuck in the moving left animation, even when I was pressing right and moving right.

No idea what triggers this, but it's not a keyboard issue from the looks of it or an OS issue... maybe I'll try using compatibility mode though...

edit: this might be something system specific to me as I had it on Embodiment of Scarlet Devil too. Pressing the corresponding arrow on the NUMPAD actually fixed it (i.e. if I'm moving left, pressing numpad left fixed it).
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Cannot say that I have heard or seen anything like that before :?:
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I've had it happen in various Touhous and Crimson Clover. Sometimes tabbing out of the program and back in helps, sometimes I have to just close it down and restart. I've only had it happen in doujin shmups for some reason.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
MaasBiolabs

Post by MaasBiolabs »

prales wrote: BW info
Thanks! That is all super-useful. I'm a heartbeat away from the record in another shmup, but once I've got that, you'll be having some competition here! Though having only just got a 1CC with Blue Peace, I recognize I'm a way off :)
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

BWRP - Original - Hope
Iori Branford - 36,067,760 - All - On/On
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Blue Wish Resurrection - Heaven - Green Peace
BareKnuckleRoo - 40,593,290 - ALL - Guard Off

Managed to finally get a No-Miss with Peace today during a break from work. Some bad scoring mistakes in general, especially screwing up the major Stage 5 boss's second phase (I trapped myself and had to bomb it when it had a sliver of life left) and being fairly low on the screen on stage 5 in general.

Blue Wish Resurrection Plus - Heaven - Blue Wish
BareKnuckleRoo - 49,470,810 - ALL - Guard Off, Wait On

Ick. I wasn't aggressive enough when scoring (killed several bosses with subpar cancels) to get the ninth extend at the end of the game.

Edit: HNNNNNNNNNNNNGHHH

BareKnuckleRoo - 53,427,050 - ALL - Guard Off, Wait On

I wimped out and lasered several of the bosses because I was getting tired. Serves me right to get a #2 score for it I guess. :/

EDIT: Hell yeah!

BareKnuckleRoo - 53,792,180 - ALL - Guard Off, Wait On

I wouldn't have been able to push myself to get this score if it hadn't been for Emuser's gigantic scores inspiring me to push my score to the limit. Thanks everyone for posting such inspiring scores! When I first got into shmups I remember finding this and thinking it was super hard compared to my Touhou games... But now that I've improved I can see it's such a fantastic game, though I still suck with the Peace ship >_>.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Nice one sir, don't think I wouldn't notice a bump in this topic. Congrats :p

I haven't been playing this lately since I can't figure out a way to get this to show in full screen on windows 8 without being locked to 30 fps, I streamed it a couple of times through a tiny window because I didn't want to bother with my screen resolution.

There is some minor optimization I could make with my scores since I last played, but I need to see if I can fix this issue first.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Oh, that sucks that it's not working for you. I'm afraid I don't have a Windows 8 machine or I'd test it and mess around to see if it's fixable. :(
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

8.1 to be exact. Where there is a will, there is a way...unless you wanted to play the original Blue Wish full screen lol. That is a hopeless endeavor. I'm sure once I really want to get at it on this again I'll stumble upon a way, I did it with Kaikan and I"ll do it with this.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Blue Wish Resurrection Plus - Hell - Red Hope
BareKnuckleRoo - 38,633,580 - ALL - Guard Off, Wait On

First clear of Hell. So many freaking lives in Hell, and I would've had more if I a) didn't miss the damn Stage 3 1UP, b) stopped dying constantly in stages and messed up the end of stage bonus, and c) actually used my bombs.

Granted I bombed like crazy but I still had a couple of deaths with bombs left in stock. ;_; I swear some parts have such insanely WALL OF PAIN attacks that I don't know how you're expected not to bomb (the insane popcorn enemies in stage 3).

What are the TLB requirements? Not having any luck finding those.

Wait makes Hell's patterns more interesting and manageable (not to mention arcade-y) than outright bullshit, and works well with the "wait for the screen to fill with bullets" scoring system. But I wonder how hard Hell is generally considered to be in the vanilla BWR compared to other shmups where you get far fewer screen cancelling enemies, no wait option, and only 5 extra lives max? The combination of density and speed is frightening.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

The requirement for Plus is to do a No Death run of Hell. The requirement for original is to 1cc, so you can't 1cc hell on the original without the TLB.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:The requirement for Plus is to do a No Death run of Hell. The requirement for original is to 1cc, so you can't 1cc hell on the original without the TLB.
So it's essentially Futari Ultra vs Futari God, you've got one insanely hard difficulty with a mandatory TLB, and a much easier mode with way more strict TLB requirements. Good to know, thanks. I hear they upped the TLB difficulty in the plus version for a few of the patterns, is that true?
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Yes, the 1st pattern is a bit harder, pattern 2 is actually easier imo than in BWR, patterns 3 and final are like 2x the number of bullets as BWR.

The only reason to really go for a TLB encounter is to say you've done it, otherwise your score will be lower than dying once at the very beginning of the game thanks to how hard the TLB is...unless you figure out a way to somehow not die against the TLB, which would be just unreal.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The pattern where it clones itself and takes up the top and bottom of the screen is absolutely insane. I've no-missed to that pattern and then it just demolishes me - bombing basically gives no breathing room whatsover, even compared to say your average Hibachi fight! ._.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Yea, BWR+ is really stupid. They crank up the ridiculousness of the last 2 forms but you have so many lives at that point that the only way you would game over on it is if you somehow got to it with autobomb off.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Not a highscore, but as practice for BWR Hell, I cleared BWR+ Hell with Wait Off (and Guard off as usual). Basically, once stage 3 hits, I'm bombing constantly, it's madness. Not a single boss phase from the stage 3 boss onwards can I beat without using at least one bomb. The stage 4 boss is harder for me than the stage 5 boss, that first attack is ridiculously wallgasmic. Beat this one just barely with zero lives and bombs left (died to the stage 5 boss with 2 bombs in stock which really made me panic, I thought I was gonna gameover on the last phase just as it was about to die).

BWR+ scoring feels designed around the use of the Wait function, especially in Hell. It's goin' back on and staying on. On to BWR!

The bullets in vanilla BWR Hell feel faster. o_o Maybe it's just my perception. Is it just me, or are the colour palettes and the music way better than in the plus Version?
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Music and all that is up to perception really, but I prefer BWR+ for music and backgrounds and whatnot. I say that but I would shuffle music around all the time to not go too crazy from stage 1 restarts. Probably a nostalgia thing in my case :/
Prales

Post by Prales »

Last edited by Prales on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I meant to upload these to Youtube earlier but I was having issues with Virtualdub not running the game at full speed while recording the replay. I managed to get things working better by using a different codec and heavily tweaking the settings to the point where it runs fullspeed except for a minor hiccup here and there (second phase of st3 boss, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Z8bXaymeQ (BWR Heaven - 37,917,450 with Hope)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu2ZwwoAIZM (BWR Plus Heaven - 53,348,460 with Hope)
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Hey there.

Since I've already introduced myself in the introductions thread, i though of posting my first score ever.
It's nothing special, but it's the first time I've 1cc this game.

Here it is:

Blue Wish Resurrection - Heaven - Blue Wish
__SKYe - 27,399,210 - ALL - Guard Off

Don't know if it's needed, but the 60FPS setting is ON.

Replay

EDIT: Kinda late, but my monitor has a refreh rate of 75Hz, which is why I use the Timer option, to get the standard 60FPS.

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's an actual difference in gameplay (speed or otherwise) when the in-game FPS is higher than 60 (does it affect gameplay speed or simply gives smoother scrolling/animation)?
I haven't been playing this lately since I can't figure out a way to get this to show in full screen on windows 8 without being locked to 30 fps, I streamed it a couple of times through a tiny window because I didn't want to bother with my screen resolution.
Since this was posted last year, my post may be redundant.
I have Window 10, and Blue Wish Resurrection would not run in fullscreen (a black window would show, but quit afterwards).
The fix to this, is to run in compatibility mode with Windows Vista (you could run in Windows XP compatibility mode too, but it forces you to run with administrator privileges, which is a bother).
A similar thing happens with Eden's Edge, in which the game does run, but at 3~4 FPS.
The fix is the same as BWR+, except it will only work in fullscreen mode (in windowed mode, I still get 3~4 FPS).

EDIT: Updated links.
Last edited by __SKYe on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Oh sweet Jesus yes, ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 this game runs at full speed full screen...maybe it's time to bust this game open again.

Also, welcome. There isn't any reason to play above 60 fps unless you want to.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Also, welcome. There isn't any reason to play above 60 fps unless you want to.
Thanks, it's good to be here!

Since I registered here I already 1cc more shmups than in the rest of my life (most on the easiest settings though).
Seeing everybody else's scores and 1cc lists is really motivating.

Incidently I just 1cc BWR+, on Heaven. The score's nowhere near the top (including yours, haha) but it's something, especially since I finished it on the first run (having previously finished BWR vanilla, of course).
I'm biased to think it went that well, because I feel the game is easier, even with Wait off. Particularly the bosses which have less HP (I noticed it because I've been playing BWR only, and when I played BWR+, the bosses patterns would end quicker than normal).
Well, it's either that of Blue Wish's gotten stronger, although the rest of the level feels pretty much the same...

Anyway here's the score.

Blue Wish Resurrection Plus - Heaven - Red Wish
__SKYe - 33,775,220 - ALL - Guard Off / Accel off / Wait off

Here's the Replay

EDIT: Updated links.
Last edited by __SKYe on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Yea all of the bosses past the first have less health in +, that's cool though. I don't think any of the ships got stronger because the midbosses play out the same across both versions. Always interesting to see newer people since this place has been around for ages, even before I showed up around 2008 or 2009.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Emuser wrote:Always interesting to see newer people since this place has been around for ages, even before I showed up around 2008 or 2009.
Especially on a scoreboard you know just deserves more love and attention! <3
__SKYe wrote:I'm biased to think it went that well, because I feel the game is easier, even with Wait off.
BWR Plus absolutely is the easier game. There's two major contributing factors to this, and neither one has anything to do with the Wait mode. First, you get more lives. There's almost double what you can get in the first game, so survival is much easier. Second, more enemies have the "clear all onscreen bullets when killed" property, meaning you get a good deal more breathing room in many stages. If you want, you can even count the easier Hell difficulty due to the TLB being much harder to trigger (meaning you can clear the game without activating the TLB).
MaasBiolabs

Post by MaasBiolabs »

I've sadly had to upgrade to Windows 7, and now I can't play BWR :\. I've tried every compatibility setting I can think of. Has anyone found a way to get it working on Win 7?!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Is the program simply failing to start? I also use Windows 7, and all of x.x's games work well enough for me without having to worry about compatibility settings. If you haven't tried using a locale program (like AppLocale) or setting Windows to Japanese locale, you definitely want to.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
MaasBiolabs

Post by MaasBiolabs »

EDIT: Ha. I meant Windows 10, not Windows 7. That shows you how au fait I am with operating systems! Yeah, everything works perfectly on windows 7, but not on 10.

Hmm, damn. I'm running Win 10 64-bit, if that's any help; are you on 32-bit?

I haven't tried those; do you think something like AppLocale could help it run? And yeah, it just doesn't start. The screen goes black, then there's a white flash; I can hear the menu background sounds of the demo playthrough, but I can't see anything, and I'm not sure if keypresses register...