Raiden

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
EmperorIng

Re: Raiden [Arcade/Various]

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm sorry to post a second score. I'll refrain from doing so again once I get the 1L clear (famous last words):

Colonel:
EmperorIng - 1,036,110 - 1-6 - 1P - YES - Real PS1

Level 6, man. What a bitch. No-Missed up to stage 1-5 though. Getting better!

Is there really a point to using the blue weapon after stage 4?

I used it on the giant battleship boss, which worked well enough, but after a point, the stages become too hard to not rely on wide-range vulcan support.

I am very pleased with my progress though. The game is akin to Twin Cobra in that careful exploitation of enemy AI can get you as far as hard-memorization; ie, you don't necessarily need to know what's coming up ahead if you can lead aimed shots away from you. Obviously though, that means new enemies are the biggest threat. What killed this run were the large planes that shoot out the cluster bombs.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

i was told that you only need the blue laser to lower health and for boss 5
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Playing some Raiden Densetsu tonight because I have shitty taste:

SNES

ACSeraph - 2,849,700 - ALL - 1P - Yes - Japanese Cart
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

the md version isn't too bad
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Arcade - Normal
saucykobold - 12,918,370 - 4-2 - 2P - Yes - MAME (No start back)

Yesss. 3-7 and 3-8 are so rough that I really considered switching to a version of the game that would let me checkpoint milk and reach the 10m mark without clearing loop 3. But, stuck with things and this happened!
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I thought 10mil was the counter stop in Raiden? In the forum's hi-score/WR index, scores higher than 10m aren't listed.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

For a lot of infinitely looping arcade games (Gradius, lots of Toaplans), Japanese record-keeping publications have considered ten million to be a cut-off point and don't track any higher than that. So while Twin Galaxies would want to know if you scored 11.5m in Salamander or whatever to that guy's 11.2m, I think Gamest/Arcadia's approach is to just recognize the first player to hit 10m.

Raiden actually counterstops at 99m but shots will become undodgeable blurs well before you could clear the 12 or so loops needed for that.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Yeah, the bullet speed was kind of unbelievable in loop 4. You weren't dodging shots anymore so much as moving continually so that the lightspeed bullets don't hit you =P.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

and people complain about quick man lasers. so much for loop 3 being impossible... maybe it's loop 4 instead, i forget
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

PC Engine version

Perikles – 2,950,700 – 2-4 – 1P – Yes – PC Engine Duo-R

Mega Drive version

Perikles – 1,825,400 – 1-9 – 1P – Yes – Japanese version

Super Famicom version

Perikles – 3,345,00 – ALL – 1P – Yes – Japanese cart

The reason for the huge discrepancy between the scores lies in the different regional versions. There is some kind of a bug (?) in the SFC version which grants you 3,000,000 points upon destroying the seventh boss (1,000,000 if you used the blue laser). A lot of the other point values got changed around in the US version, too. It's probably best to split between the US version and the Japanese version.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Raiden Trad (SNES) on Pro Difficulty:

Pegboy - 1,111,950 - ALL - 1P - US Cart/US SNES

Video
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Super Famicom version

Perikles - 4,116,400 - ALL - 1P - Yes - Japanese cart

I don't even know why I bothered to play this port again. :lol:

PCE CD version

Perikles - 4,157,500 - 2-9 - 1P - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

Congrats to Kollision for his monstrous score. Looks like I died too often and bombed too much, eh?

Edit: Looks like the other host I used is out of business, added working pictures.
Baron Rojo

Post by Baron Rojo »

Hi

Arcade - Normal
Baron Rojo - 2,886,620 - 2-1 - 2P - No Autofire - ShmupMAME 4 (No start Back)

Evidence:Replay

thanks for the tips guys about this game, I always played with the red ship, and never pass the seventh stage, try blue ship and the first time I managed to reach the last level, a few games later managed to finish the game :D
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Arcade version - Normal difficulty

Perikles - 3,692,100 - 2-4 - 2P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (No start back)

Extremely satisfied with this. I was shocked how much harder the arcade version is compared to the PS1 version (speaking of which: there is no way to disable the checkpoints in the JP version of the Raiden Project for the first Raiden, unfortunately; only the PAL and US releases give the player a choice). Had to practice a few rough parts (particularly stage 7, those gliders are just way too fast), but the result was well worth it. I'm just astounded at saucykobold's unreal performance, I cannot even image clearing the second loop, let alone the third one! :o
The Armchair General

Post by The Armchair General »

Hello~

Arcade - Normal
The Armchair General - 2,474,270 - 2-2 - 2P - Autofire - ShmupMAME 4.2 (No start Back)

replay.

I can't believe I no missed Raiden!
seraph

Post by seraph »

arcade (US set 1) - normal
creams. - 3,048,490 - 2-2 - 2P - auto on - mameuifx64 0.168, no checkpoints

screenshot

video
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

PCE CD version

Perikles - 7,732,900 - 3-7 - 1P - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

Finally got the run I wanted! Lost my first life in the beginning of 2-10, took me some eight lives to conquer the dreadful checkpoints, but I emerged victorious in the end. Couldn't get my strategy to work on the 3-7 boss since the small increase in bullet speed is enough to render it substantially harder.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I just cleared Raiden Trad (Genesis) playing on hard.

Pegboy - 1,938,350 - ALL - 1P - Yes - Played on JVC X'EYE + US cart

I also beat the special stage after the credits. This game is so much harder than the SNES version it isn't even funny.

I can't believe they kept the checkpoints in this game. Talk about making recovery impossible outside of being lucky and getting a "P" powerup from the fairy (i did this in stage 7 and miraculously survived the rest of the game). I actually was dreading the final boss on stage 9 because in all my practice runs (using an emulator to practice the special stage) I had 2 or 3 bombs when I faced the boss. This time, I made it with only 1, and somehow dodged his silly attack.

I'm very fucking proud of this run, this was the first time I ever really reached stage 5 in a real run (i.e. non-emulated), and managed to take it all the way to the end.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Here's the video of the Raiden Trad clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9thtumEZSI
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

MD version, Normal difficulty

Perikles - 2,390,450 - ALL - 1P - Yes - Japanese Cart

All credit goes to pegboy! I never would've attempted the special stage without your superb video, that's for sure. :) Refined my bomb allocation, too, only used one on the stage 3 boss and two on the stage 8 boss (didn't quite deal enough damage for one bomb). I actually died on the TLB, but one carrier spawned on the checkpoint and gave me a P icon - it's actually easier to fight this guy without missiles since you cannot inadvertently hit him which might cause him to spew out his garbage at unfortunate times, I thought I was a goner. :D
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Awesome, and a very high score too! I also noticed in my practice runs that recovery on the boss was possible but only if the "P" powerup spawns (which it does 100% of the time if you no-miss up until that point). The final stage really isn't too bad provided you know exactly what to do but without save state practice it seems like it would be impossible to figure out.

I'm not exactly sure how those P icons work though, because in the run I posted I got 2 of them from the fairy, 1 on each death, which was practically a miracle. In most of my practice (using save states), the P was never spawned from the fairy at all. Either I got massively lucky or there is some pattern for how they spawn.
seraph

Post by seraph »

arcade (jp set 1) - normal
creams. - 3,497,610 - 2-3 - 2P - auto on - mameuifx 0.168, yes checkpoints

screenshot

replay
seraph

Post by seraph »

creams. - 3,664,540 - 2-2 - 2P - auto on - mameuifx 0.168, yes checkpoints

screenshot

replay

First loop was no miss.

sage
seraph

Re: Raiden

Post by seraph »

Since every other thread is doing it, I recommend different tables at least between the Japanese and international arcade versions because of the lack of checkpoints in the latter. Being able to continue with full power after a death makes a tremendous difference.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

And ships should be split as well. Playing as player 1 makes the game significantly harder.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I'd love to do it. Too many tables, not enough info. Sorry.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Arcade - Normal
Vludi - 2,466,280 - 2-1 - 2P - No - Mameui 0.161 (No start Back)

Jesus christ this run. When i killed the third boss some weird graphic glitch appeared in the top of the screen, i had to play the rest of the run with that annoyance. Somehow no missed the game up to stage 7 boss, in stage 8 i died a lot, made it to the final boss with one life in the stock, run to the safe spot and died again, the tension was real on my last life but thankfully the safe spot worked now and i cleared the game.
Anyway, pretty happy that i finally cleared Raiden, even if it's the version with no checkpoints. Thanks for all the videos uploaded by you guys, they helped a lot.
seraph

Post by seraph »

Despatche wrote:I'd love to do it. Too many tables, not enough info. Sorry.
Isn't that your goal?
seraph

Post by seraph »

cream-s - 3,734,600 - 2-3 - 2p - auto on - shmupmame 4.2 (mameplus 0.148), checkpoints yes
screenshot - replay

No miss first loop. Died immediately on entering the second loop (stupid >_< ). Still a small improvement.
seraph

Post by seraph »

cream-s - 4,081,420 - 2-4 - 2p - auto on - shmupmame 4.2 (mameplus 0.148), checkpoints yes
screenshot - replay

Second loop is nasty. also I meant to write CRM