Raiden

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
SPM

Re: Raiden

Post by SPM »

Despatche wrote:Congrats, pretty sure I'd hate the game even more if I could actually fucking clear it properly though. Raiden is such a twisted distortion of one of the already distorted Toaplan titles (Kyukyoku Tiger) that Hi Sho Zame is a very different kind of game in comparison.
Yeah, it may be more Kyuukyoku Tiger than it is Hishouzame, but they're close enough IMO (apart from length and accessibility).

You only like the latter out of the three? For me it goes Hisho > Raiden > Ktiger
(but I've just tried Raiden DX and it may blow all of them out of the water based on first impressions, we'll see)
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I utterly despise old Raiden. If it wasn't for Raiden Fighters and new Raiden, I'd want it all deleted from history.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Damn :shock: You should give them another go, they're fun! In this game in particular I'd highlight stages 3, 4 and 5, especially from halfway through stage 3 up to (but not including) the 5th boss. :D
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Arcade - Normal - 2P
maximo - 3,106,360 - 2-3 - Yes - MAME (US Set 1)

Replay

Came back to beat an old foe. Haven't done much practice with loop 2 yet, but a death without a P is extremely hard to come back from there.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Congrats, updated. (I mean, I updated it earlier, but whatever.)

Think I'd better make some kind of official statement on the player sides. Raiden II just had a similar mechanic made more obvious to the public. I see no reason to do anything special there, because that's Raiden II and you'll need all the help you can get, and really it's not any different from Yagawa attract rank madness. Likewise, I do not see some pressing need to split by player side in Raiden here, as I imagine people will appreciate the freebie more than not. That being said, you may notice that I actually did split for Same! Same! Same! 2P versions, which have a very similar mechanic. To be completely honest with you, I'm not really sure why I did anymore. I am actually kinda hoping people really want me to split player side in Raiden for this reason. It'll make the boards look awful, but the boards already look awful, and nothing can really be done about that for this particular game without making separate threads for every conversion. Which I still want to do, to be totally honest.

Anyway, if people really want me to split by player side in Raiden, I'll do it. Alternatively, if people want me to merge player side in Same! Same! Same!, I'll do that too.
atro_city

Post by atro_city »

I guess I'll post my arcade PB although it's not very good.

Arcade - Normal - 2P
937,640 - 1-6 - 2P - PCB (No Checkpoints)

This was a while ago but it's the first and only time I've made it to Stage 6.
Steven

Post by Steven »

This game is hard

Arcade - Normal
Steven - 432,150 - 1-3 - 2P - Yes - PS4 (ACA version 1.01. Rank change Off)
Spoiler
Apparently the starting rank changes depending on what the attract mode is displaying when you put your coin in. On ACA there is a setting that lets you change the starting rank from 1-4, presumably having something to do with this, but it also has an OFF setting, which it defaults to, although I'm not sure if it disables this entirely or it makes it behave like the PCB.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Oh boy, more stupid bullshit hidden mechanics. Thanks Raiden. Fuck Raiden.

Thank you for detailing this. I'm gonna leave this alone... for now.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh yeah, I forgot that I was going to look into this. I think BIL checked the English ACA manual and although it did say something about it, it wasn't really useful. I can check the Japanese manual to see if it says anything more useful. Might as well check to see what the English one says while I am there.

Japanese ACA manual just says that the rank changes depending on when you put the credit in, and to try different timings. That's not very helpful. Too lazy to change my system language to English right now, but I think BIL said it basically says exactly the same thing but in English.
atro_city

Post by atro_city »

Went to Japan and had the opportunity to play a real cabinet for the first time in almost 30 years (I just have the bare PCB at home). The responsiveness combined with the massive CRT was a great experience.

After some practice I finally broke new ground and got some ways into Stage 7 aka. sniper hell. This was on a machine with checkpoints enabled. It felt good to actually be able to start recovering from deaths and not just lose all my lives in succession.

1,214,910 - 1-7 - 2P - No autofire - PCB (checkpoints enabled)

On another note, I forget which attempt I did this on but I was finally able to recover once (without a fairy or P powerup) from the checkpoint of death (the one before the Stage 5 boss) that kills a good portion of my runs.

Despite the progress it feels like I'm approaching my skill cap with this game. Would love to get the 1CC someday but the harder I push, the further away it feels.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

So not only is it a dumb hidden mechanic, but also it's a mechanic with no obvious explanation as to how it works.

I just wanna say that I respect anyone who dares to sit down in front of this game with no autofire. I'm too weak for that.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Raiden seems to be like Marmite, either love it or hate it - personally it’s one of my favourites, though at the same time one of the most frustrating experiences of my gaming life - a year or so ago I put a good 3 months in, playing almost exclusively, with an aim of getting the 1CC. I used the blue ship and auto fire…

… Suffice to say it’s not very fun, practising the same bosses 100 times+ and not getting the desired 1CC.

I did make it to the final boss once, on my last life and only half powered, suffice to say I promptly died. That was the closest I ever came and was never able to replicate that.

I’ve not really been playing for score (more survival - long ago got over trying to save bombs in stock for points etc) but may get back into it and try and post a score as just getting far on one credit gets you a better score than most, in this game.

One thing I’ve always wanted to know, never been able to figure out and no info seems to be available online:

What in the hell, causes the secret car which you can shoot for points on stage 2, to appear?!

I’ve been working on the theory it’s something like Tiger-Heli where it is dependent on your screen position, but I’ve pretty much flown all over the screen in the area just before the bridge and never triggered it. Some console versions of the game, it just always appears and I used to get it quite a lot on PS1 Raiden Project, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on ACA and MAME.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think I kind of don't really like this game very much.

Arcade - Normal
Steven - 787,630 - 1-4 - 2P - Yes - PS5 (ACA version 1.01. Rank change Off)
Spoiler