Slap Fight (Alcon)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
ben.shinobi

Re: Slap Fight/Alcon

Post by ben.shinobi »

Great video! Very thorough showing bonuses with all the weapons.
For reference I also once or twice got the second free life bonus (for reference the time of the video is 8:33 ish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyGbH_HG4jE). I shall analyse the video and see if there is a pattern.

Two more things:
1. I have heard a rumour that the helper is with you and you beat the final boss a 100k bonus is awarded?
2. **what you said about the speed up trick**
Best thing would be to ask to Saigononindou on the comments. Probably, he knows the pattern.
About the 100k pts on the last boss with helper, I really don't know !!
It's already possible to get more than 100k pts bonus.
For me, it depends of the time you kill the boss (faster you kill it and more you get points, but maybe I'm wrong ??)
All I know is from my expereince and also these 2 jap blog site:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161102143 ... f_tec.html
http://khex.blog42.fc2.com/blog-entry-499.html
I don't remember any speedup trick ??
SFKhoa

Re: Slap Fight / Alcon

Post by SFKhoa »

Slap Fight MD - MD Mode
SFKhoa - 3,773,940 - 6-77 - Yes - Mednafen
https://twitter.com/dwrkoa/status/14923 ... Inb9A&s=19
Steven

Re: Slap Fight (Alcon)

Post by Steven »

I've been playing this game a lot recently.

Slap Fight MD - Normal mode
Steven - 2,128,630 - 4-40 - yes - Mega Jet

https://imgur.com/a/BgItrag
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Mega Jet, huh? Must be nice...

Everything updated, I hope.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Slap Fight MD - MD Mode
Steven - 1,516,700 - 3-82 - Yes - MiSTer

https://imgur.com/a/hO7ew3X

I love this game so much. Just mentioning the fact that it exists makes me want to play it, so I did. No Mega Jet this time. The MiSTer was already set up, so MiSTer it is.

Actually, looking at the screenshot, I'm not really sure which area I should say it is. High score area says 3-82 but the actual area I'm in is 3-83. Maybe it's because I died against the final boss or something. Not sure which one should be used, so I think I'll let you decide which one you think is more appropriate.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Yeah, weird bug, I remember this. Pretty sure the current score is right, so I'm putting you down for 3-83.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Beat my previous score even though I didn't get as far. The bug happened again, but yeah, I think the area on the bottom is the correct one, so let's use that.

Slap Fight MD - MD Mode
Steven - 1,708,080 - 3-78 - Yes - MiSTer

https://imgur.com/a/Vp4PZEh
Steven

Post by Steven »

Never thought I'd get my first 4-ALL and 5-ALL in the same credit, but I somehow did. This game gets pretty scary when you die on loop 6...

Slap Fight MD - MD Mode
Steven - 3,292,320 - 6-52 - Yes - Cart + Japanese Mega Drive + Mega-CD + Super 32X

https://imgur.com/a/sTEZTtz
Steven

Post by Steven »

Picked up the PCB 2 days ago and finally got around to playing it. I kind of suck at the arcade version...

Arcade
Steven - 519240 - 139 - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)

https://imgur.com/a/bBT82Ns

Oh, and BTW, if anyone ever says shit about someone playing arcade Slap Fight with autofire ever again, they have Slap Fight at Mikado right now and it has autofire. Autofire is legit, and if you don't like it, too bad.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Doubled my score or whatever. Not a bad improvement in only 2 days. I love this game so much.

Arcade
Steven - 1,063,220 - 248 - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
I see you up there at the top, stupid bootleg score, and I'm going to beat that score. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't a bootleg, but it's a bootleg.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I'm super tired and my back hurts for some reason, but I somehow still made a ~20% improvement. Playing this game for score is a hell of a lot of fun, even if I'm still super terrible. I'm not sure if I will ever go for the counterstop, but maybe I'll try for it someday.

Arcade
Steven - 1,255,060 - 255 (loop 3) - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

Getting closer. I would have taken that top spot just now if I hadn't made a really stupid mistake and chain deathed my credit away, as I would have had no problem getting those extra 400000 points that I need.

Arcade
Steven - 1,398,940 - 255 (loop 3) - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

Damn it. I was so close.

Arcade
Steven - 1,524,140 - 255 (loop 4) - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

Despatche wrote:If anyone has the power to thoroughly kick this guy's ass without autofire, please do so. If I had the money, I'd probably make it a bounty.
Done. 1 day short of exactly 5 and a half years later, but done. GTFO, bootleg, I'm #1 now.

Arcade
Steven - 1,970,420 - 255 (loop 5) - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
I actually broke the 1.8 million mark on loop 4, too, but I kept going. Barely killed the final boss on my last extend. I really wanted the 2 million, and I was so close, but not this time. Those little Roomba things at the beginning of the loop got me...

I'm going to take a break from playing this game for score for a little while. I do really wish more people would play it, as it's so good.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Got his ass. Thank you, seriously.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Sure, no problem. It looks like he doesn't come here anymore, but it was nice to have some goal other than to simply beat my own high score for once.

I'm thinking of going for the counterstop; I went to Mikado a while ago and I watched a dude there counterstop the game and he told me it takes about 2.5 hours to do it. Maybe I'll do it myself, but I'm not sure yet. I worry that that would just be frustrating instead of fun, but this score is already about 20% there, so I'll think about it.

I played the MD port for the first time in a while and beat my own high score; it's super easy after playing the arcade version a lot. I'll go find the picture of my score eventually. I don't remember exactly what it was, and it's not a huge improvement, but I think it will move me up by one position on the list.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Uh

this happened

Slap Fight MD - Normal mode
Steven - 9,999,999 - 13-28 - Yes - MegaSD + Japanese Mega Drive + Super 32X
Spoiler
Extend counter rolled over once, so I'd have to die like 50 or 60 times to get to the game over screen, so I'm just going to call it good here and shut off my Mega Drive. I guess I'm done with the Mega Drive port of the arcade version.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Ye gods, well done!
Spoiler
One day I hope to clear the first loop of the arcade version. For now, dooming my run by picking bomb at the second boss(? - the extendo-arm fella) is the best I've managed :oops:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks. MD version's difficulty is probably coded to be identical to the arcade version, but in practice the MD version ends up being significantly easier for a few reasons, like having less enemies on screen and the game's own built-in autofire being completely broken when you have shot, so practice on that version and then move to arcade. The MD version is not completely identical, as aside from the shield not timing out by default here, you can destroy the bomb plants in the MD version but not the arcade version, but they are so extremely close that you'll barely notice any differences other than the screen size and the shield. Colors and animation frames are reduced on Mega Drive, but those don't affect the gameplay at all, and the FM music is very nice.

Bomb is actually pretty viable for that boss, though, at least for the first few loops, if you're willing to get close enough to use it, and you will also want to go into that fight with enough powerups to switch to bomb immediately anyway, as you want to switch to bomb the instant he's dead before picking up the next star, which will let you get some bomb plants between the second and third crab things. Then keep picking up stars until you can switch to missile the instant it's available and reveal the missile panels right there, as the missile panels give a large amount of score when they are revealed. They don't really give a lot of score when destroyed, though. If you want to fight that boss with bomb, switch to bomb the moment he appears, use the ~2 seconds of invulnerability you get after switching to go destroy an arm to give yourself room to move (I think it only takes like 1 or 2 hits with bomb to destroy the arms), and then you can do your little figure 8 maneuver around his aimed shots while you blast him in the face with bomb until he dies. It's really satisfying to use bomb on him, actually, but destroying the second arm is relatively risky without the invulnerability from the switch, so be careful if you go for the second arm.

You definitely will want to use missile on that boss for the later loops, though; once you get to loop 8, the bullets become terrifyingly fast, like in 1P Same! Same! Same!, so use the missile so you can stay away. You probably may not want to switch to bomb once he's dead on the later loops to get the bomb plants after him, though, as the next section becomes significantly harder with bomb on the later loops and the bomb plants are not worth nearly as much as the missile panels, it's probably better to just play safely and keep the missile. The speed resets to loop 1 speed on loop 9, though, which was oddly satisfying. Once I got there and saw the extremely slow speed of everything, I knew I had the counterstop at that point, and I just kind of went through the motions of the next few loops with muscle memory until it happened.

I may try to counterstop the arcade version now. Not sure yet.
NMS

Post by NMS »

Steven wrote:Thanks. MD version's difficulty is probably coded to be identical to the arcade version, but in practice the MD version ends up being significantly easier for a few reasons, like having less enemies on screen and the game's own built-in autofire being completely broken when you have shot, so practice on that version and then move to arcade. The MD version is not completely identical, as aside from the shield not timing out by default here, you can destroy the bomb plants in the MD version but not the arcade version, but they are so extremely close that you'll barely notice any differences other than the screen size and the shield. Colors and animation frames are reduced on Mega Drive, but those don't affect the gameplay at all, and the FM music is very nice.

Bomb is actually pretty viable for that boss, though, at least for the first few loops, if you're willing to get close enough to use it, and you will also want to go into that fight with enough powerups to switch to bomb immediately anyway, as you want to switch to bomb the instant he's dead before picking up the next star, which will let you get some bomb plants between the second and third crab things. Then keep picking up stars until you can switch to missile the instant it's available and reveal the missile panels right there, as the missile panels give a large amount of score when they are revealed. They don't really give a lot of score when destroyed, though. If you want to fight that boss with bomb, switch to bomb the moment he appears, use the ~2 seconds of invulnerability you get after switching to go destroy an arm to give yourself room to move (I think it only takes like 1 or 2 hits with bomb to destroy the arms), and then you can do your little figure 8 maneuver around his aimed shots while you blast him in the face with bomb until he dies. It's really satisfying to use bomb on him, actually, but destroying the second arm is relatively risky without the invulnerability from the switch, so be careful if you go for the second arm.

You definitely will want to use missile on that boss for the later loops, though; once you get to loop 8, the bullets become terrifyingly fast, like in 1P Same! Same! Same!, so use the missile so you can stay away. You probably may not want to switch to bomb once he's dead on the later loops to get the bomb plants after him, though, as the next section becomes significantly harder with bomb on the later loops and the bomb plants are not worth nearly as much as the missile panels, it's probably better to just play safely and keep the missile. The speed resets to loop 1 speed on loop 9, though, which was oddly satisfying. Once I got there and saw the extremely slow speed of everything, I knew I had the counterstop at that point, and I just kind of went through the motions of the next few loops with muscle memory until it happened.

I may try to counterstop the arcade version now. Not sure yet.
Nice job.

I'm curious, has scoring changed in the MD port? I looked at some arcade replays and they seem to get the counterstop around loop 17 despite being quite optimized, so a CS in loop 13 seems impressive. Is there something like the autofire giving you more tick points from the flowers or the space invaders guy compared to arcade? Or is it simply better survival from you, meaning you could for example get more points from the 6 flowers just after the antepenultimate boss thanks to having consistently more wings? (referring to the boss where the scrolling stops, with the 6 turrets on the side, since it's not always clear what's a boss and what isn't)

Anyway, not like it would matter too much, since as you said, if you can clear 8 loops the speed rolls back to loop 1 speed, so it means you can keep playing infinitely and get the counterstop eventually. I'm just curious about version differences.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I have not actually compared the scoring between versions, but I know at least one thing is probably different: the bomb plants. You can't destroy them on the arcade version, but you can on MD and I think they give points when destroyed. The laser plants and the missile panels give more score than the bomb plants do, though, and I usually ignore the bomb plants after the first loop anyway, as having bomb after first loop is a bit scary for me due to its short range and the fact that the enemy shot sealing distance decreases dramatically, which combine to greatly increase your chances of getting point-blanked.

One thing that gives a lot of score on MD is the super busted autofire with shot. That gives you a stupid amount of points from the Space Invaders aliens, the laser plants when you switch to shot, and, curiously, when your ship is in its smallest form, the final boss, which you can basically insta-kill without it ever shooting at you at all, but only when you are small, and I typically get an extend or 2 just from doing that. It's honestly probably worth intentionally suiciding at some point to fight the final boss while small, but I'd have to check. I absolutely abused the hell out of that last set of 6 laser plants by switching to shot and using the autofire. I have no idea how to get autofire on my Astro City, though, so I can't say how autofire affects the arcade version, but I imagine it's something similar.

Anyway, it's almost 0200 now, so I'll compare the scoring between the arcade and MD versions once I get some sleep.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Okay, I checked the first part of the game. I went until area 1-13 on the MD version's HUD, doing exactly the same things on both versions, and taking the bomb to get the bomb plants (and destroy them on Mega Drive, which definitely gives additional score) instead of missile to get the missile panels, and I found something interesting: the scores don't align. I forgot what I ended with on the arcade version, but I want to say it was 32030 or something like that, but on MD, I have 31150. Looks like Ichikawa and his guys made some changes for some reason. I'd have to do more testing to be sure of the exact changes.

Well, I guess it's time to check out how autofire works on the arcade version. I hate playing on emulators, but since I don't know how to give the Astro City autofire, no choice.

I tested it on MAME using the same A77 ROM set that I have on my PCB and the 20Hz autofire on my arcade stick, as I have no idea how to get MAME's autofire working, but I can say that the autofire on MD is WAY faster than 20Hz, so I wasn't able to get nearly the same amount of points from the Space Invaders alien or the laser plants using shot as I was on MD. Maybe someone who knows how to work MAME better than I can can figure it out with 30Hz or something.
Steven

Post by Steven »

2 million get

Arcade
Steven - 2,264,930 - 255 (loop 5) - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
Steven

Post by Steven »

Despatche, looks like you put my MD version counterstop on the wrong game mode; it's for normal mode. I do want to counterstop the MD special mode eventually! I have so far been unable to get anywhere near the same amount of points in one loop on special mode as I can on normal mode, unfortunately, so a counterstop on special will possibly take about twice as long as it does on normal.

Since I am here, I might as well mention something interesting; I met Ichikawa-san the other day and although I completely forgot to ask him about the scoring differences, he did say that the Slap Fight MD's normal difficulty is lower than the lowest difficulty on the arcade version, and I think he said that MD hard is somewhere between easy and normal on the arcade version, although I unfortunately don't exactly remember 100% in the case of the latter. MD normal is absolutely easier than arcade easy, though. He is extremely talkative and loves this game, so if I run into him again I will be sure to ask him about the game again.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Man, I hate when I get the MD modes mixed up. Sorry, fixed.

It's nice when a dev comes out and says they actually really like this old thing they did.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Time to try the game with autofire. I don't think it really helped all that much, but I also haven't played the game for a long time. I think I like the game more without auto.

Arcade
Steven - 1,310,870 - 255 (loop 3) - Yes - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
Steven

Re: Slap Fight/Alcon [Arcade/Mega Drive/Others]

Post by Steven »

Despatche wrote: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:52 pm btw if anyone wants to play on hardest or w/e i'd be more than happy to put up a section for it
It's been almost a decade since you said this, but I'm interested. I don't think anyone here really cares about this game except for me, though, so I doubt anyone else will play it.

Well

I played it on the highest difficulty setting just now to see how it is. I like it this way and I think it's really cool. If you want to consider this an initial submission for hardest, here you go. If not, feel free to disregard. I got a pretty okay score for my first attempt, too. I think it probably had something to do with all of the Kyuukyoku Tigering that I have been doing recently.

Arcade - Hardest
Steven - 1,876,690 - 255 (loop 4) - No - PCB (Japanese A77 set)
Spoiler
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I said that I would do it so I gosh darn done did it. Especially since you're probably the only person who's ever going to submit anything to any of my threads ever again. Sigh. Thank you.