Great Mahou Daisakusen (Dimahoo)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
DMC

Re: Great Mahou Daisakusen (Dimahoo)

Post by DMC »

Prickly Angler wrote:Wow mpressive score :shock: :D, keep it up !

Hope you get to do a yt commented video for this one 8)
Thanks, man!

That's the aim. I'm starting to regularly complete the ordinary sets by the beginning of stage 4 except maybe 1 or 2 items. So a pretty good foundation at least.

I have noticed a weird thing lately. I wonder if this is some visual glitch, so that if you nail exactly the borderline of level 6 and level 7, the meter will say 6 but give you level-7 items. Is this a well known issue?
I recorded it so it wasn't a mistake on my part. The indicator at the bottom says 6 but I get level-7 items.
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

Now that you've mentionned it it rings a bell, not sure how exactly can it happen though.
Stan

Post by Stan »

DMC wrote:
Prickly Angler wrote:Wow mpressive score :shock: :D, keep it up !

Hope you get to do a yt commented video for this one 8)

I have noticed a weird thing lately. I wonder if this is some visual glitch, so that if you nail exactly the borderline of level 6 and level 7, the meter will say 6 but give you level-7 items. Is this a well known issue?
It happens to me me also on regular basis playing the game in MAME.

One thing I also noticed but it only happened a few times is what I call "magic cancel".
Hard to explain, it goes like this: you start to load your magic but in the same moment you realize you want to continue shooting, so you switch right to C-button auto fire. As a result at least one item is released according to the current level of the magic meter by the shot down enemies while your are NOT in the magic mode. I use Solo-bang most of the time.
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

Dimahoo (Euro)
Dumple - 2,320,900 - ALL - Birthday - 42 items - WolfMAME 0.238

Finally learned this and got a 1cc for the 2022 Summer Yolympics.

My clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdRTVIZAMn8
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

@ DMC : congrats for your PB! What version of Dimahoo do you play, US or Euro?

Great Mahou Daisakusen (Japan) - Grimlen
Feedbacker - 55,391,450 - Stage 6 - 104 Items - ShmupMAME v4.2
DMC

Post by DMC »

New pb and first time I cleared the game. 4 bombs on gigafacer and then dodged 1 bullet. 8)

Dimahoo - Miyamoto
DMC - 63,454,090 - ALL - 104 items - Mame
(inp and pic posted at restartsyndrome.com, shmupmame v.4.2, 0.148)
Feedbacker wrote:@ DMC : congrats for your PB! What version of Dimahoo do you play, US or Euro?
Thanks!
I'm playing Euro. Do you know any difference between US and Euro?
And how do you like the Japanese? At some point I'd like to switch myself, but want to improve on Dimahoo first.

Stan, thanks for confirming the issue with the charge meter. I noticed something similar to a "magic cancel" too, but extremely rarely here.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

GG for the clear and nice score. YOU ARE GREAT! 8)

Dimahoo US is the same as GMD, it's only the euro version that has lower difficulty. At first I didn't really like GMD because of stuff taking ages to die compared to Dimahoo EU but now that I'm accustomed to it I like it better. I don't plan to go back to Dimahoo EU any time soon.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Great job DMC, big congratulations! Especially with so many items collected too.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!
DMC

Post by DMC »

Feedbacker wrote:GG for the clear and nice score. YOU ARE GREAT! 8)

Dimahoo US is the same as GMD, it's only the euro version that has lower difficulty. At first I didn't really like GMD because of stuff taking ages to die compared to Dimahoo EU but now that I'm accustomed to it I like it better. I don't plan to go back to Dimahoo EU any time soon.
I played the US version tonight, and it seems you are right it is slightly more difficult than the EU version. The last boss gigafacer seemed a bit more challenging, some of my strategies there did not seem to work anymore, because greater hp, faster and a few more bullets. A handful of additional sections in the game seemed a bit more busy in the US version. Quite subtle differences nevertheless, difficult to say to what extent my expectations and rank influenced my experience.

So you're saying GMD and US Dimahoo should be merged, and EU Dimahoo splitted? Anyone knows what version Zeron played?
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

Huge congrats DMC, impressive achievement :D !!
DMC

Post by DMC »

Dimahoo (Euro) - Miyamoto
DMC - 82,912,740 - ALL - 107 items - ShmupMAME v4.2

Great Mahou Daisakusen (Japan) - Miyamoto
DMC - 62,612,200 - Stage 6 - 105 Items - ShmupMAME v4.2

New pb, but unfortunately I messed up the recording in shmupmame. I had assigned the L button on the Saturn pad to a save state function, and of course I accidently hit it right before the last few bosses on stage 6. Pressed ESC to keep playing but the recording stopped there. Anyway, the inp is uploaded on restartsyndrom and I have also uploaded a 78.6M inp that is complete. My aim is to record a new one that I can do a commentary on for youtube.

Also started playing the Japanese version. A bit more tricky in a few places although most strategies work on both versions.
Meriscan

Post by Meriscan »

Sick new scores DMC! Really awesome to see you've sticked to this game! 80 million is a huge achievement!

As usual, looking forward to the commentary replay.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Whoa, insanely good scores DMC! I look forward to seeing the replays. You've been killing it with this game.
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

GG ! You've really become the indisputable non-Yagawa Raizing master over the years 8)
DMC

Post by DMC »

I have been making some progress on the Japanese version. Aim has been 80M but this is the closest so far.

DMC - 76,296,920 - ALL - 107 Items - ShmupMAME v4.2
(inp can be downloaded from https://www.restartsyndrome.com/userrpy ... 801402.inp)

About the run: Besides an intentional death on Stage 1, I think I one-lifed to the final boss, and then did pretty poorly there and lost three lives and some items, but managed to scrap a clear with a bomb.

Prickly Angler wrote:You've really become the indisputable non-Yagawa Raizing master over the years 8)
I am starting to get a feel for how his enemies behave. :mrgreen:
The RNG can be so cruel sometimes though. Particularly stage 5 boss Infernon who has some very easy but one insanely difficult attack.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

There's been some recent interesting developments with this game.

See the video of the overlay in action

EmperorIng - 7,676,520 - 5 - 84 Items - MAMEUI 248 with M4 Gadgets

(and if anyone knows what to do with this asshole's machine gun attack when you destroy one of the sides, I'd be all ears)
DMC

Post by DMC »

Wow, interesting indeed! That rank info in particular looks juicy. Some mod you're working on?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I haven't been working on it, but I've been following the progress that a prolific shmup modder and an artist have been doing the last few months, and this is the culmination of their efforts. I made a thread about it here with the requisite link:
Great Mahou Daisakusen Mame Gadgets
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Interesting, I seem to get about this amount of items in each of my runs, and once again die to this shitty spam Infernon. Though this time, My score is nearly 1m higher. Game is kind of terrible a lot of the time :oops:

I am hopeful the overlay makers hear the call for a charge meter gadget, which would be extremely helpful.

EmperorIng - 8,590,700 - 5 - 84 Items - MAMEUI 248 with M4 Gadgets

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1946304400

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

EmperorIng - 11,338,840 - 5 - 93 Items - MAMEUI 248 with M4 Gadgets

Starting to think I will never make it past stage 5, just nonstop cluttered bullshit. The score improvements comes almost entirely from bullet sealing turtles with 4 bombs to get their secret items.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Feedbacker - 62.659.540 - Stage 6 - 106 Items - ShmupMAME v4.2
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice score! Did it come crashing down on the ninja or Giga Fucker?
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Thank you! It came tumbling down before even reaching the boss rush. I'm clueless about boss 5 and stage 6.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Good stuff, Feedbacker! Infernon is just a game of luck for me. Laser beams and it's manageable, bullet hell attacks and it's most likely over.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

These gadget mods are getting pretty sophisticated. Still not sure why only the first Mahou has any recent release...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
DMC

Post by DMC »

Finally reached my goal of 80M on the Japanese version, all items too. :D

DMC - 80,409,040 - ALL - 108 Items - ShmupMAME v4.2
(inp can be downloaded from https://www.restartsyndrome.com/userrpy ... 115222.inp for shmupmame 4.2 Mameplus 0.148, if anyone wants to help me convert it to avi for youtube, please send a pm)
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Huge score, congrats! Definitely gonna watch that .inp later. Will you keep pushing the scoreplay further?
DMC

Post by DMC »

Thanks! I feel pretty done with it right now, and there's some other things I want to do in my leisure time--so I dare not set another goal.
It's incredibly fun though, and I hope you keep pushing it.

Ps. I tried to gadgets version. quite interesting to see the exact numbers after having guessed how it works for a few years.
My first impressions from a just single run of the Japanese version with these gadgets.
  • Rank works like a percentage, it often hits maximum within a stage, but it is reduced at the onset of every stage (for instance, if you end stage 1 with max rank (100%), then you begin stage 2 at about 66%).
  • The greatest factor influencing rank seems to be the elapsed time, so if one wants to keep rank low mid-bosses and bosses should be dealt with quickly.
  • Taking full sets or grabbing items doesn't seem to affect rank very much it seems? But grabbing the secret items increases it noticeably, by about 2-3 % units.
  • Picking up power ups doesn't seem to influence rank much at all, although I did not check if they moderate the effect of time
DMC

Post by DMC »

Youtube video with my 80M run, all items, with commentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV7R-aZgSjU
Image quality is so-so, I tried my best. :|