Gunbird 2

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Square_Air

Re: Gunbird 2

Post by Square_Air »

Tavia
Square_Air - 1,278,200 - 2-2 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

1-Miss loop 1. Slowly crawling through loop 2.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Tavia
Square_Air - 1,316,900 - 2-3 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Alucard
Square_Air - 1,127,200 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Not a fan of Alucard's shot or bomb. That slow melee is really strong though.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

wow!! cool scores!!!
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Thanks. Just havin' some fun with the other characters.

Marion
Square_Air - 1,200,700 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Aine
Square_Air - 1,140,500 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

I think I still prefer Tavia over Aine. Marion turned out to be better than I expected, I'll probably play a bit more of her some time.
Last edited by Square_Air on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Valpiro
Square_Air - 1,099,400 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Hei-Cob
Square_Air - 1,113,700 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Scores for the big boiz. Valpiro is neat. Hei-Cob is a spicy meme.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Hello, it is me, Mr. Gunbirdo. Big post time, updates for all arcade characters.

Tavia
Square_Air - 1,483,400 - 2-3 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

First loop is starting to get somewhat consistent for NM, but NB still needs work. Full frog milk from the final boss, but the second loop was too choppy. Time to switch back to loop 2 practice methinks.

Marion
Square_Air - 1,406,700 - 2-2 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Still my favourite character to play after Tavia. I've managed to make it to 2-3 once with Marion, so I'm not far behind my Tavia progress. If only I could figure out how to dodge the 2-6 boss without cancelling bullets... one step at a time. :roll:

Aine
Square_Air - 1,270,300 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Still not really a huge fan of Aine in this game, which is strange because I play so much Aine in both of the Sengoku games and he's still great here. I just find his movement speed to be a little uncomfortable, and that straight shot can make things a little difficult sometimes. That melee is stupid strong though, everything melts.

Alucard
Square_Air - 1,370,600 - 2-2 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Had a pretty good Alucard run despite not playing him too much. He's kind of like a budget Aine with a bit more width to his shot, but the barely slower speed (at least I think?) makes him easier to control. Maybe that's why I found more success with him?

Valpiro
Square_Air - 1,227,600 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Really not that bad of a character. He's certainly weaker than all of the ones above, but all his qualities besides speed are pretty decent. Rocket punch isn't as good as it was in GB1, but melee's are just great in general in GB2. Really nice main shot.

Hei-Cob
Square_Air - 1,214,700 - 2-1 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

This character hurts my brain to play. His bomb is good, but everything else is just "why"? How the fuck did Zil have the patience to 2-ALL with this goofball?!?
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

You became the Gunbird!

Thanks, I hope to see more of this from other players.

Imagine trying to do the NMNB with Hei-Cob.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Ty, one day I'd like to do the same for Gunbird 1, but all those 1-ALL scores are too bare bones at the moment for my liking to post.

Tavia
Square_Air - 1,562,400 - 2-5 - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Loop 2 practice is starting to pay off, finally broke into 2-5. That 2-ALL is actually starting to look like a reality.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Greetings, Despatche! It's been quite a while, hasn't it? :)

I've come here today to post the score of my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 that I got earlier today back at noon! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tavia
VioletHatPurple - 2,896,600 - ALL - ShmupMAME 4.2 (International Ver. B)

Video of my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2! =D

ShmupMAME 4.2 INP file
ShmupMAME 4.2 NVRAM file

Screenshot below:
Spoiler
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, from the time period of Dec. 30th, 2019 up to now, I've been playing Gunbird 2! :)

When I started playing Gunbird 2, I got to learn the game at-large, starting from the 2nd loop. I did a few full runs back at February of this year, but at the time, I didn’t have much time to do full runs of Gunbird 2, so not much happened there initially, so from that time up to May 5th, I practiced a little bit every day & after May 5th, I finally got time to play full runs of Gunbird 2 again & so, I did full runs until I got my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 earlier today (Incidentally, it's my 2nd Psikyo 2-ALL)! :)

A few things about this run…

I did a NMNB of the 1st loop (I always want to NMNB the 1st loop of Gunbird 2 first before going into the 2nd loop, so if I were to die in the 1st loop, I just restart the run & do it again. It happens to me more often than I care to admit, let’s just say, though I got to be more consistent w/ my NMNB 1st loop consistency little by little, as I played more & more full runs of Gunbird 2).

For the 2nd loop, I got to NMNB stages 2-1 to 2-3, so I got the bomb bonus in those 3 stages, but in stage 2-4, I messed up my execution of the stage a bit, so I had no choice but to bomb (They were unplanned) a couple times to salvage the route. I also had to do an unplanned bomb in stage 2-6, due to nerves. I got to No Miss up to stage 2-7, a first for me in full runs of Gunbird 2. :)

Stage 2-7, though… When I got to that stage, because I got to No Miss up to that point in a full run of Gunbird 2 for the 1st time ever, I got so nervous, that I had the worst panic ever (It was bad, like, I lost my head and couldn't think clearly kind of bad), and I proceeded to just bombspam like nuts throughout the stage like I've never done before. My performance in stage 2-7 was so bad, oh man. -_-;; That ending, too… That quite was a laugh, I do have to say, haha! :lol:

Alright, so I think I’m going to do a little more stuff with Gunbird 2, as, well, my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 didn’t quite have that sense of finality, especially with the way I seriously messed up stage 2-7 (Yeah, nerves collapsing completely on me for stage 2-7 certainly won't do). I did learn how to No Miss, No Bomb the entire game in savestate practice back at Mar. 20th of this year, so lots of improvements can be made over my run, indeed. Plus, I actually got some time to spare (meaning I'm actually in no particular hurry to go to the next game, at least, for the time being anyhow), seeing as how I got my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 soon after May 5th, so let’s see how much farther I can get in Gunbird 2 with the spare time I actually have. :)
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Wow. Congrats to both of you.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

That was an insane run to watch Violet! Thanks for the upload.

So close to a no miss as well. The next goal seems obvious. Even better when you can combine that with climbing up the community ladder by one step. The top spot though... that score is silly. Can you do it?

Keep it up! :D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

That's a hell of a replay indeed, an absolute pleasure to watch! You really have some crazy good routing.

Congrats on the 2-ALL and good luck in future runs.
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Despatche wrote:Wow. Congrats to both of you.
Plasmo wrote:That was an insane run to watch Violet! Thanks for the upload.
Battletoad wrote:That's a hell of a replay indeed, an absolute pleasure to watch! You really have some crazy good routing.

Congrats on the 2-ALL and good luck in future runs.
Thank you, Despatche, Plasmo and Battletoad! :D

Yeah, it was nice that things came together for me pretty fast for me to get my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 since I resumed doing full runs after May 5th, though since I did a little savestate practice every day (No matter how busy I am, I always make sure I put aside time every day to play, even if it's just for a little bit) from Dec. 30th, 2019 to May 5th ,2020 (There was that little bit of me doing full runs of Gunbird 2 briefly near the end of February, but that didn't really go anywhere much at the time), perhaps it's not all that surprising, to me anyways.
Plasmo wrote: So close to a no miss as well. The next goal seems obvious. Even better when you can combine that with climbing up the community ladder by one step. The top spot though... that score is silly. Can you do it?

Keep it up! :D
Hmm... Well, I can start off by saying this... Between the time of near the end of February and May 5th, I got to study CAT's videos more closely, to where I savestate practiced accordingly, which was ultimately key to me learning how to NMNB the entire game in Mar. 20th.

Alongside that, between after Mar. 20th and May 5th, there were a few times, where I very nearly NMNB all of the 2nd loop starting from a savestate I have that starts at the very beginning of stage 2-1, and there was that 1 time I pulled off a NMNB of stages 2-5, 2-6 & 2-7 starting from a savestate that starts at the very beginning of stage 2-5, so I'd say the potential for me to be able to pull off a NMNB 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 is there. :)

Plus, well, I was quite sore about messing up stage 2-7 quite badly in my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 due to nerves, since I didn't get to demonstrate the proper way to handle stage 2-7 without using bombs in that run of mines. Ever since, yeah, I really want to do an improvement over my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, since that's just not going to cut it for me.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not in any particular hurry to go to the next game I have in-mind for the time being, so I actually got some time to spare in improving over my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2. I'll see what more I can do in Gunbird 2 while I got some time to do so. :)
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Not that it's going to move me up in the leaderboards for Tavia in Gunbird 2, but I got another 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 a few hours ago today that I liked better than my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, so I thought I'd take the time to post it here, because, well, why not. :)

Tavia
VioletHatPurple - 2,949,500 - ALL - ShmupMAME 4.2 (International Ver. B)

Video below:
Gunbird 2 - 2-ALL 2,949,500 Tavia 【ガンバード2】

ShmupMAME 4.2 INP file
ShmupMAME 4.2 NVRAM file

Screenshot below:
Spoiler

This time, I managed to NMNB from stages 1-1 through 2-5, a 1st for me, in-terms of doing full runs of Gunbird 2! :D

It's a bit of a shame how I messed up stage 2-6 in this run, though (I died 2 times in that stage). :( However, I did get to show a little bit more about how I know how to do stage 2-7 without using bombs (Yes, yes, I still used a few bombs in stage 2-7 in this run, but it's not as bad as what went down back in my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2). Not quite there yet, but it's a better showing of stage 2-7 compared to what happened in my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 (To name a couple things that occurred in stage 2-7 of this particular run, I got to show how to do the beginning of stage 2-7 without using bombs a little bit, and I did do a NMNB of both the stage 2-7 midboss and the stage 2-7 bosses). :)

Incidentally, this is actually my 3rd 2-ALL of Gunbird 2. I got my 2nd 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 back at May 19th, but it didn't beat the score of my 1st ever 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, so there wasn't much to write home about for that one, except, well, for that other run, I died in stage 2-1, but I was still able to 2-ALL Gunbird 2, despite such a disastrous mistake.

Alright, well, let me get back, and go to improve on this run, as there's still more for me to do in Gunbird 2! :)

PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

This submission won't move me up in the leaderboards for Tavia in Gunbird 2, but I managed to get my 1st ever 3+ Million 2-ALL of Gunbird, as of a few hours ago earlier today! :D I even got to No Miss, No Bomb stage 2-7 in this same run, which is a 1st for me, in-terms of full runs of Gunbird 2! :)

Tavia
VioletHatPurple - 3,035,800 - ALL - ShmupMAME 4.2 (International Ver.B)

Video below:
Gunbird 2 - 2-ALL Tavia 3,035,800【ガンバード2】

ShmupMAME 4.2 INP file
ShmupMAME 4.2 NVRAM file

Screenshot below:
Spoiler

Okay, so, in this run, I No Miss, No Bomb the 1st loop, as usual.

For the 2nd loop, I, once again, No Miss, No Bomb stage 2-1 through stage 2-5 (Incidentally, I found the actual way on how to manipulate the stage 2-5 boss’s 4th attack. It turns out that I actually misunderstood the whole time how to manipulate it, as I’ve come to find out a couple days ago. The way I do it in this run shows how you actually should manipulate it).

Now, for stage 2-6... Well, I messed up stage 2-6 catastrophically. :( That had to be my worst ever stage 2-6 performance yet, so that threw my nerves off considerably. >_<;;

However, I was able to re-bound and get my focus back by the time I reach the moai statues part of stage 2-6. From there, the rest of stage 2-6 went okay, with me even getting a No Miss, No Bomb of the stage 2-6 boss! :)

For stage 2-7, I got to No Miss, No Bomb all of the stage in its entirety, a 1st for me, in-terms of doing full runs of Gunbird 2, so I’m very pleased about it! :D

Yes, indeed, this was the stage 2-7 performance I wanted to show in a full run setting of Gunbird 2. :)

All-in-all, I’m quite pleased with getting the stage 2-7 NMNB and me getting over 3+ Million in Gunbird 2! :D

Alright, well, I’ll continue to work on Gunbird 2, as there’s still yet more for me to do in this game. :)

wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Well the replay you referred to is very good. Though I would also quite like to see a Marion NMNB replay (with sufficient chaining). Her spread on main attack (making it difficult to focus) and slow charge shot speed seem to make her a weaker character. Even her melee is slower.

Anyway, I think it would be quite good if the game showed the whole "coin chain" history. Well, to expect this in an arcade game is not realistic, but this seems to be a good idea for ports (both for this game and strikers-3). But anyway, even showing the top-10 or top-5 chains (in the order they occurred) might be pretty good. If I was playing for score I would quite like to see that kind of statistic after a run. On that note, it is a bit surprising that (possibly after completion) the game doesn't reward you an extra bonus based on "max chain" (since that requires good skills).

Another thing is there doesn't seem to be that many gemheads triggered even in the 4M+ replay you described (in loop-2) ....... I think? I didn't count or look through very carefully so I could be wrong. On that note, it might also be interesting if the game tells you after the run how many gemheads were triggered and how many gems collected.
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Alright, now we're talking! It took a bit more time than I would have anticipated, but I finally got to defeat Azinth's best score in Gunbird 2! :D This also counts as my 1st ever No Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, a 1st for me, in-terms of full runs of Gunbird 2! :)

Tavia
VioletHatPurple - 3,297,300 - ALL - ShmupMAME 4.2 (International Ver.B)

Video below:
Gunbird 2 - 2-ALL 3,297,300 Tavia 2 Miss, No Bomb【ガンバード2】 タビア 2周 2ミスノーボム

ShmupMAME 4.2 INP file
ShmupMAME 4.2 NVRAM file

Screenshot below:
Spoiler

So, about the run itself… Well, you know me, it’s a NMNB of the 1st loop as always. I NMNB stages 2-1 through 2-4.

There was a silly death that happened in stage 2-5 that I didn’t expect would happen, so that was a shame. However, that death didn’t mess up my route bad enough, to where I didn’t need to use any bombs to salvage the route there.

There was another silly death that happened in stage 2-6. The manner of how I died this time in stage 2-6 was annoying, but that, too, didn’t mess up my route bad enough, to where I also didn’t need to use any bombs to salvage the route there.

From there, though, the rest of the run went quite well, and I got to NMNB again from the moai statues in stage 2-6 to the end of the game, allowing me to get a sizeable endgame bomb bonus for once! :D

All-in-all, I’m quite pleased with this run, seeing as how it’s the 1st time I did a No Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, and there’s the whole thing with me beating Azinth’s best score in Gunbird 2 as well! :)

All that being said, there’s still a bit more left for me to do in Gunbird 2, so this isn’t the end yet for me in Gunbird 2, in-terms of playing as Tavia, anyhow, so I’ll get down to that. :)
wiNteR wrote:Well the replay you referred to is very good. Though I would also quite like to see a Marion NMNB replay (with sufficient chaining). Her spread on main attack (making it difficult to focus) and slow charge shot speed seem to make her a weaker character. Even her melee is slower.

Anyway, I think it would be quite good if the game showed the whole "coin chain" history. Well, to expect this in an arcade game is not realistic, but this seems to be a good idea for ports (both for this game and strikers-3). But anyway, even showing the top-10 or top-5 chains (in the order they occurred) might be pretty good. If I was playing for score I would quite like to see that kind of statistic after a run. On that note, it is a bit surprising that (possibly after completion) the game doesn't reward you an extra bonus based on "max chain" (since that requires good skills).

Another thing is there doesn't seem to be that many gemheads triggered even in the 4M+ replay you described (in loop-2) ....... I think? I didn't count or look through very carefully so I could be wrong. On that note, it might also be interesting if the game tells you after the run how many gemheads were triggered and how many gems collected.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I tried to look around to find a Marion NMNB 2-ALL replay myself that I could study up on, but I couldn't find such a replay like that online, so, yeah, it is a bit of a shame, indeed, in that regard. :(

Also, yeah, in CAT's No Miss, No Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 with Tavia video, he didn't trigger any of the gempots in the 2nd loop. Triggering the gempots in the 2nd loop is a whole deal more challenging (if not, dangerous) to try doing compared to the 1st loop, so I'd say CAT was playing it safe, in that regard. However, if you're going for 5+ Million in Gunbird 2, then yeah, I'd say triggering the gempots consistently in the 2nd loop without dying & bombing would start to matter, as GODHAND's Gunbird 2 World Record run with Aine would suggest.

Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Very nice replay again. The 2nd death was really unfortunate, but otherwise a great run.
Congrats on this score!
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

wiNteR wrote: On that note, it is a bit surprising that (possibly after completion) the game doesn't reward you an extra bonus based on "max chain" (since that requires good skills).
Alright I noticed I was wrong about this. There is bonus for it in endgame (maxchain x 1000). Though, quite clearly, the bonus is disproportionately low compared to effort/skill required for it.

To get an idea as a rough estimate, with 200 (close to actual value) as theoretically max game long chain, we get around 0.2M maximum bonus (in theory). But it seems to me that this is a bit low. For example, maxchain x 5000 would have been better, giving around 1M maximum bonus (in theory). I understand that ultimately its quite arbitrary really, but I wrote the last sentence based upon effort/skill required for it (which is obviously far far more than just a nmnb of the game). As comparison, in the game, nmnb already gives 1.2M extra points.
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hello once again, Despatche and everyone here in the Gunbird 2 Hi-Score Leaderboards thread! :)

I've come here once again to submit the score of my 1st ever 1 Miss, No Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 that I got, as of earlier today! :D

Tavia
VioletHatPurple - 3,658,700 - ALL - ShmupMAME 4.2 (International Ver.B)

Video below:
Gunbird 2 - 2-ALL 3,658,700 Tavia 1 Miss, No Bomb【ガンバード2 】タビア 2周 1ミスノーボム

ShmupMAME 4.2 INP file
ShmupMAME 4.2 NVRAM file

Screenshot below:
Spoiler

Yeah, so, I got this run earlier today. It was a little unexpected to get this kind of run so early in today's playing session, as I kinda started off on the sleepy end when I began to do another round of playing full runs of Gunbird 2. I was going to call it quits early, but I changed my mind about that, and wanted to do at least a few more full runs, so I did that, and, well, I got this run as a result. It was a pleasant surprise, considering that I was kinda a little on the sleepy side when I was doing this particular full run. =)

A little bit about this run... I made some improvements to my route in a number of areas, to where it helped with my consistency, all of which is demonstrated in this run.

Indeed, I got to No Miss, No Bomb from stage 1-1 through stage 2-6 in a full run setting for the 1st time ever, a 1st for me, in-terms of full runs of Gunbird 2! =) I even got to collect all of the 700,000 pts worth of max bomb collection bonus in this run, too, another 1st for me, in-terms of full runs of Gunbird 2! :D

As for the 1 Miss that happened in that particular part of stage 2-7, well... Let's just say I expected that it would, of course, happen in a full run setting, especially since it's my 1st time doing a NMNB up to the stage 2-7 boss in a full run.

I braced myself for that chance it would happen, so that it would save me the disappointment for if it actually does happen, which, sure enough, it did. It also helps, that I was a bit on the sleepy side at the time, so it made it easier to temper myself, in that regard. :P

A bit of a shame I died in that 1 area in that particular part of stage 2-7, but all things considered, this run went pretty well, considering that, well, I was a bit on the sleepy side at the time, and was almost gonna decide to call it a day early before changing my mind about that & do another full run instead.

Alright, so, this is the final stretch before I finally get the No Miss, No Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2. Let's see how it goes! :)
wiNteR wrote:
wiNteR wrote: On that note, it is a bit surprising that (possibly after completion) the game doesn't reward you an extra bonus based on "max chain" (since that requires good skills).
Alright I noticed I was wrong about this. There is bonus for it in endgame (maxchain x 1000). Though, quite clearly, the bonus is disproportionately low compared to effort/skill required for it.

To get an idea as a rough estimate, with 200 (close to actual value) as theoretically max game long chain, we get around 0.2M maximum bonus (in theory). But it seems to me that this is a bit low. For example, maxchain x 5000 would have been better, giving around 1M maximum bonus (in theory). I understand that ultimately its quite arbitrary really, but I wrote the last sentence based upon effort/skill required for it (which is obviously far far more than just a nmnb of the game). As comparison, in the game, nmnb already gives 1.2M extra points.
Ah, right, I didn't notice that bit off of your previous post before this latest post you made here. I should have caught that one, but I didn't. My bad. I guess I was way too focused on discussing the gempots aspect of Gunbird 2 at the time, haha. :P

Indeed, in-regard to the medals, in the endgame bonus, it's your maxchain (The longest coin chain you have done in that run when you 2-ALL it) x 1000 (i.e. maxchain of 13 x 1000 would be 13,000 pts).

It's also to be noted, that when you start up your coin chain in Gunbird 2, you start off by getting 2000 pts from it. The 2nd time you get the timing right for the coin chain, you get 2000 pts + 500 pts bonus. The 3rd time, you get 2000 pts + 1000 pts bonus and then the 4th time and onwards, you get 2000 pts + 2000 pts bonus. Of course, if you mess up the timing of getting the coin chain, it resets back, and in that case, when you get the timing right on the coin chain again after breaking the previous chain, you start off by getting 2000 pts in it, and, well, you get the idea from there.

With that in-mind, you actually can get a pretty good amount of score from coin chaining, but you'd want to get a pretty good coin chain going to start to get a good amount out of it. I've heard you can get a potential of up to 1 million pts or so worth in score from coin chaining, which is including the endgame bonus factored in to that as well. It's, of course, well, easier said than done, suffice to say.

Really, the bulk of your score in Gunbird 2 would depend on getting as much of the max bomb collection bonuses as you can in the 2nd loop, starting from stage 2-1 (100,000 per stage in the 2nd loop, meaning you can get up to 700,000 pts total from doing this), and getting as much as you can from the endgame bonus, in-respect to lives and bombs (100,000 pts per life (Up to 300,000 pts potential), 100,000 pts per bomb (Up to 900,000 pts potential), so that's up to 1,200,000 pts you can get overall from the endgame bonus, in-respect to both lives and bombs factored in).

Indeed, if one were to really want to score well in Gunbird 2, you'd want to start off by trying to learn how to NMNB as much of the entire game as you can. In this initial part, I wouldn't worry too much about coin chaining here.

From there, as you get to develop your route more and more and get more comfortable with your route execution, then you can gradually start to incorporate learning how to coin chain here and there in a way that your route permits you to do so and just do what you can from there, and one can also start to get how to activate the gempots in each stage and collect as many gems out of it as possible in a way that wouldn't put you in unnecessary danger (It's to be noted, that trying to activate the gempots in the 2nd loop is a whole deal more challenging than in the 1st loop, so I'd say I wouldn't worry about trying to activate the gempots in the 2nd loop unless you're trying to go for 5+ Million in Gunbird 2 and/or if you're gonna try to compete for the world record in Gunbird 2).

You can also milk both the stage 1-7 boss and the stage 2-7 boss for some extra points, as well (You can get up to a total of 360,000+ something-ish pts (Rough estimate) from doing this (i.e. Up to 180,000+ something pts or so (Rough estimate) from milking the 1-7 boss, and up to 180,000+ something-ish pts or so (Rough estimate) from milking the 2-7 boss)).

There's a number of assorted scoring tricks out there as well, like powerdown milking, but I'd say I wouldn't worry about doing that sort of thing unless you're trying to go for 5+ Million in Gunbird 2 and/or if you're gonna try to compete for the world record in Gunbird 2.
Last edited by PurpleTheGuy on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Greetings once again, Despatche and everyone here in the Gunbird 2 Hi-Score Leaderboards thread! :)

It's been quite the ride for me in Gunbird 2 up to this point, but now, I finally defeated Zil's best score in Gunbird 2! :D This is my 1st ever No Miss, 1 Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2! It also doubles as my 1st time ever reaching 4+ Million in a full run of Gunbird 2! :mrgreen:

I am now the new community record holder here for the Tavia category in Gunbird 2, and thus, the new overall community record holder here for Gunbird 2! :D It's also my 1st time ever holding an arcade community record here in Shmups Forum! :mrgreen:

Tavia
VioletHatPurple - 4,205,300 - ALL - ShmupMAME 4.2 (International Ver.B)

Video below:
Gunbird 2 - 2-ALL 4,205,300 Tavia No Miss, 1 Bomb【ガンバード2 】タビア 2周ノーミス1ボム

ShmupMAME 4.2 INP file
ShmupMAME 4.2 NVRAM file

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Alright, so a little bit about this run… In my 1st ever No Miss, 1 Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, I NMNB through stages 1-1 up to the stage 2-7 boss. It’s the 2nd time I did that in a full run setting of Gunbird 2, and I got to, once again, collect all of the 700,000 points worth of max bomb collection bonus in this run, too, which is the 2nd time I did that, in-terms of full runs of Gunbird 2.

My end of 1st loop score is 1,374,100, which is the highest I've achieved yet, in-terms of full runs of Gunbird 2, so that was pretty notable for me, as that was the closest I've come yet to getting over 1.4+ Million by the end of the 1st loop in Gunbird 2.

As you all might recall, back in my 1MNB 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, I died once to the stage 2-7 boss.

Basically, when I got there again in a full run setting on NMNB pace, I didn't want to risk dying there again, since I just really wanted to get past 4+ Million in Gunbird 2 as well as No Miss Gunbird 2, so I used just 1 bomb on the stage 2-7 boss accordingly.

Otherwise, except for that 1 bomb I used on the stage 2-7 boss, I NMNB everything else, so indeed, I did that just so the question of me getting past Zil's score, break 4+ Million in Gunbird 2 and No Miss 2-ALL Gunbird 2, all for the 1st time, can all be out of the way.

Also, CAT did a similar thing himself, where he got a No Miss 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 before he got the NMNB 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 (He did that for both Alucard & Tavia), so I took a page out of CAT's book, in this regard. :P

I also did a couple changes to my route again, namely, in the way I handle the crystals part of stage 1-7, as well as the stage 1-7 midboss, as my previous strategy for it turned out to be not so efficient, so I switched back to the strategy that CAT uses in his NMNB 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, as that was the better strategy to do there.

All-in-all, I’m super happy to have gotten my 1st ever No Miss, 1 Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2! :D It was a long time coming, but here we are! :)

I guess all that’s left now to do from here for me is to go get the No Miss, No Bomb 2-ALL of Gunbird 2.

azinth

Post by azinth »

Hey, just dropping by real quick to give you my congrats Purple. :) It's about time someone here managed to No-Miss this game, and your speed of progress over the last two months has been incredible. Do you plan to continue scorerunning the game after you NMNB? Gunbird 2 is definitely one of the most rewarding Psikyo games to play for score. :mrgreen:
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

azinth wrote:Hey, just dropping by real quick to give you my congrats Purple. :) It's about time someone here managed to No-Miss this game, and your speed of progress over the last two months has been incredible.
Thank you, Azinth! :D It means a whole lot that you took the time to come say that to me here! :) You were a real inspiration to me, as someone who started off playing STGs/Shmups through Touhou, as you showed to me, that Touhou is Harder, that Touhou Players can handle other STGs/Shmups outside of Touhou and that one shouldn't be ashamed at all for starting out in STGs/Shmups through Touhou and that one shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise, and so, I’m grateful to you for that! I'll always remember it! :)

It’s been quite the ride for me in Gunbird 2, and I got much farther into the game than I initially would have expected. It’s been quite a fun experience, if I had to say so myself. :)

At first, when I started playing Gunbird 2 back at Dec. 30th of last year, the initial idea was that I was gonna practice just enough (Like 1 month of practice) to go get my 1st ever 2-ALL and be done with it after that, but then things got real busy on my end for back at February of this year, leaving me with no real time to do full runs of Gunbird 2 (Well, there was that brief period where I had time to do full runs at mid-late February, but that didn't go particularly anywhere (I did manage to get my 1st ever NMNB of the 1st loop on Feb. 22nd, so I did that much, at the very least. I remember being happy about that :)) and it got busy on my end very quickly again after that, to where I, once again, had no time to do full runs), so from late February to May 5th of this year, I decided to spend my then limited free time further practicing Gunbird 2, where I eventually decided to go learn how to NMNB the 2nd loop stages past 2-2 and it all went from there.

At that time, I reasoned to myself, that if I wasn’t gonna have any real amount of free time to do full runs of Gunbird 2, then I might as well spend my limited free time giving it a shot at further learning the game, as I felt that would be a better use of my then-limited free time rather than try to do full runs. It was during that time, that I’ve come to find out that I’m capable of doing much more in Gunbird 2 than I initially thought, which ultimately led to me wanting to do more in Gunbird 2 past getting my 1st ever 2-ALL out of it.

Since I took the time to sit down and actually really learn Gunbird 2 like that within that time period, it was made possible, that I was able to make such progress in Gunbird 2 when I finally had time to go do full runs of Gunbird 2 after May 5th of this year. :)
azinth wrote:Do you plan to continue scorerunning the game after you NMNB? Gunbird 2 is definitely one of the most rewarding Psikyo games to play for score. :mrgreen:
Hmm, me continuing to scorerun in Gunbird 2 after I get the NMNB 2-ALL… If I had to admit, after I get the NMNB 2-ALL of Gunbird 2 with Tavia, that probably might be it for me, since that would be the final thing I’m looking to do for Gunbird 2.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a blast for me to make it this far into Gunbird 2. :) However, I’m not too sure, if I’m up for having to do stuff, like learning how to activate the gempots in the 2nd loop stages consistently without dying, power-down milking, other scoring techniques out there (i.e. destroy those two parts in both the stage 1-6 (When I used to do this for a time, I wasn't very consistent at it, which increased the amount of times I had to reset a run, but I might maybe give it another go) & 2-6 boss, milk both the stage 1-7 & 2-7 midboss, etc.), or even just get a higher coin chain than the best I was able to get in a full run setting (The best coin chain I was able to achieve so far in a full run setting is 55). I know those things will be a whole deal more challenging to do, but who knows? I'll put it as a maybe, and I might just give it a shot anyway, but really, I think getting a NMNB 2-ALL would be enough for me.

However, I do like to play as the other characters in Gunbird 2 at some point after I get the NMNB 2-ALL with Tavia, particularly with Alucard and Marion. Hei-Cobb and Valpiro are maybes. I haven't thought particularly much about Aine, but I suppose he's a maybe, as well.

Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Wow, congratulations Purple, that's an insane run. Makes me want to pick this up again and push for that elusive 2-ALL. Good luck on the NMNB, I look forward to seeing your results from other characters as well!
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Square_Air wrote:Wow, congratulations Purple, that's an insane run. Makes me want to pick this up again and push for that elusive 2-ALL. Good luck on the NMNB, I look forward to seeing your results from other characters as well!
Thank you, Square_Air! :D

So, well... As it ended up happening, a week after I defeated Zil's score in Gunbird 2, I ended up deciding that I give Gunbird 2 a break, since I got more interested in playing other games, and there were other reasons that ended up persuading me to give Gunbird 2 a break, at least for now.

Really, I was after defeating Zil's score in Gunbird 2, and since I did that, I ended up being satisfied with what I have done for Gunbird 2, at least for now. :) One of these days, I'll come back to go get the NMNB 2-ALL of Gunbird 2, but for now, I'll just put it on ice in-favor of other games.

Also, I'm very sorry about the very late response on my end. Let's just say it's been busy on my end for quite some time.

Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

This has become my favourite STG, but given that I only really dove face-first into the genre in the spring after playing casually forever, it's also a steep mountain to climb. Monkey & Child difficulties went down quickly enough, but I've been inching my way forward in Very Easy (which is anything but) for months now. I can get to the end of 1-6, but playing on Switch without save states I don't know how I'm going to handle that last boss. But if people are doing it on PCB then I have nothing to complain about. Seeing how many of you guys have been putting major effort into this game is more motivating than you know. Seeing how much time serious players have put into it is a thought that often flashes through my mind when I'm faced with situations that seem impossible. Of which this game has many.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Valpiro
Vludi - 2,389,500 - ALL - MAME 0.217 (Japan)
Replay

Probably will improve score and/or change ship, very fun game even if I like the music/visuals in the first one better.
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Congrats on the clear Buffi. Nice to see my old PCB getting some play time now! :mrgreen:
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Rastan78 wrote:Congrats on the clear Buffi. Nice to see my old PCB getting some play time now! :mrgreen:
Haha yeah, it's an enjoyable game.
It had some graphics glitches btw, but they were just due to poor connections of a graphics rom so was a very simple fix.