Gunbird 2

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Sapz

Re: Gunbird 2 [Arcade]

Post by Sapz »

SPZ - 1,136,000 - 2-1 - Aine

Late to the party, but this game is awesome. Why so few Aine scores?
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Sapz wrote:SPZ - 1,136,000 - 2-1 - Aine

Late to the party, but this game is awesome. Why so few Aine scores?

Well done on reaching the loop.

...and I always found Aine very hard to master, especially his melee attacks. I guess everyone is of the same predicament.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

I don't find Aine's melee attack to be so different to use from all the others. It even seems to be the most powerful one besides Morrigan (while she can use it way less often than Aine). The charge shot is also very powerful. What I don't like so much is that Aine just shoots forward and isn't too fast to compensate it either. But still great fun to play.

The reason I don't play him that often is that he is the greatest character in the game... exactly like every other Gunbird 2 char except Hei-Cob. I am happy to mostly stick with two of them (Morrigan and Alucard). It's so sad, you just can't do the awesome character variety in this game justice.

Ah yeah, and congrats for the 1-ALL!
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Alucard? He feels mostly like a gimped version of Tavia to me. I didn't like Aine too much because starting out he's got a peashooter and you have to balance that out by point-blanking or melee attacks, which are hard for noobs like me.

Hei-Cob is intentionally gimped because his melee attack is awesome. The bomb he throws can stop lots of annoying patterns in their tracks.
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Thanks. Here's a run with better scoring, though I still died right at the start of 2-1. The loop really doesn't mess around, damn.

SPZ - 1,224,400 - 2-1 - Aine - Shmupmame
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Nice job.

Personally, I don't like Aine for his shot. It's just a little too weak for me, although his melee is nice. Much better than Tavia's.

Are you going to work on the loop? My score is pretty easy to beat for anyone who knows how to chain.
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Thanks, man. The main advantages for me are the speed and the melee, which combine to take out a lot of problem enemies before they become problematic. He seems a little like the X-36 from Strikers 99 to me, with the melee largely replacing the laser.

And yeah, I'm definitely going to work on the loop since I'm having a lot of fun with this. Seems like quite the challenge, though - it's looking harder than S99's so far. At least it doesn't have those popcorn formations during the loop bosses. :P
azinth

Post by azinth »

Finally got back into this game about a week ago.

Azinth - 1,762,400 - 2-4 - Tavia - MAME

The randomized loop stages are much more manageable than I remember them being, though I still suck at America. The first round, however, is still really damn inconsistent; got to 2-1 with one extra life this run. I really want to be able to NMNB it, but I just can't get through the whole thing without making a stupid mistake somewhere. :x
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Damn, nice score. I dont get that much until 2-7.

Whats your score like at the end of the first loop? Are you going to try for the ALL?
azinth

Post by azinth »

My score after the first loop varies depending on how well I chain. Usually I'm about 1.4 million. Once I managed to get just a little under 1.5, which I'd kinda like to be able to do consistently. I milk the 1-7 boss, go for all gemheads, and put some effort into chaining, though the latter is definitely the hardest to pull off. Not dying would also help.

I'd really like to get the ALL, but this game can be really frustrating, even if it's probably my favorite shmup. I had pretty much ragequitted it for over a year because the loop seemed so daunting and the first round just wasn't coming together. Maybe this time around it will go better.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

1.4 million for the first loop is impressive. I think I could work in the gemheads and 1-7 boss milking, but chaining is hard for me. Best I can manage is around 30, and thats not very often. I stopped going for it when trying to beat the game because I knew I would get more points from the 2-6 and 2-7 bosses and midbosses. A 2 million ALL is pretty anemic though.

The loop is a lot of fun (and pain) once you dig into it. 2-6 is 3 minutes of terror and may be the greatest stage in shooters.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

@ NTSC-J
I'm a bit late to the party, wanted to download your inp file, but it's no longer available. Could you put it up again please?
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

azinth

Post by azinth »

Small improvement. I made it to the 2-4 boss with an extra life but fell apart quickly since I haven't really practiced much. Probably about time I did. :P

Azinth - 1,814,400 - 2-4 - Tavia - MAME
Coin Chain: Azinth - 45

I used the default stage order for this run (USA - Italy - Japan - England). I'm sort of tempted to do this from now on, since otherwise it feels impossible to score consistently in the first loop. USA stage is just worth way too much more than the rest. Is there a general consensus around here about using default stage order in Psikyo games? Is it not considered a big deal or is it frowned upon?
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

A lot of replayers use default order. It's not to be frowned upon since it's technically something that you could do in the actual arcade.

If it weren't for defaulting, my Dragon Blaze scores would be awful. Water or Sky at Stage 4 = hell.
azinth

Post by azinth »

Good to know, thanks.

One more run for the day. Didn't bother uploading a screenshot this time, it's a tiny increase:

Azinth - 1,847,500 - 2-4 - Tavia - MAME

NMNB first loop! Hell fuckin' yeah! I have wanted to do that for so damn long. Even managed to get the 100k bomb bonus in 2-1. Unfortunately everything after 2-1 kinda sucked, so my score didn't go up too much in the end. I really need to get 2-4 down, it's a huge jump in difficulty compared to all of the previous stages.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

RNGmaster wrote:A lot of replayers use default order. It's not to be frowned upon since it's technically something that you could do in the actual arcade.
Unfortunately you can't do it on the Dreamcast though if I remember correctly. Plus even if it would be possible there, no one could make me restart the game all the time since it lasts ages (I'm not sure if soft reset would really count). I don't mind the random stage order too much. It makes it way more difficult, but more fun, too, at least in Gunbird 2. I don't play as serious as a lot of guys here though... :lol: Or at least not yet. To me always using default order shouldn't be a problem.

There is one Psikyo game where I even love to avoid the default stage order: Strikers 1945 II. I think it is the worst order for scoring since there are no gold bars to collect in 1-1 and the most in 1-4.
azinth

Post by azinth »

Azinth - 2,014,300 - 2-5 - Tavia - MAME

Holy Shit. Best run ever. One-bomb first loop (stupid blunder on the 1-5 floating turrets), then I managed to no-miss/no-bomb all the way to the 100k bonus in 2-2. Then right afterwords I died with 9 bombs and clumsily brute-forced my way to the 2-5 boss. Nice performance on the 2-4 boss too, iirc I one-bombed it.

I might just have to go for the 2-All now. :(
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Do it bro. You might just have convinced me to go for the all, too, after I can no-miss the first loop of DB.
Battletoad wrote: There is one Psikyo game where I even love to avoid the default stage order: Strikers 1945 II. I think it is the worst order for scoring since there are no gold bars to collect in 1-1 and the most in 1-4.
Why did I never think of that.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Despatche, can you remove my Marion score? Thanks. Valpiro is my guy!
azinth

Post by azinth »

Azinth - 2,261,400 - 2-6 - Tavia - MAME

\o/

No-miss/no-bomb all the way up to the bomb carrier in 2-2, which is pretty much exactly what I've been shooting for. First loop was kinda sloppy in a lot of parts, lots of broken chains and small mistakes with my routes, but I still got the NMNB so whatever. Then after I got that second bomb bonus I just went full kusoplayer mode and bombspammed like I've never bombspammed before. First miss was in 2-5, game-overed right before 2-6 boss.

inp (shmupmame 3b)
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Aww.... you made an inp and it's on a version of shmupmame that doesn't work for me.

Oh well, it doesn't matter. Incredible job, man. Is the 2-ALL in sight?
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Insane replay, thanks for sharing.
To me the loop looks just ridiculous, but it would be too great if you could get the 2-ALL. Keep going!
azinth

Post by azinth »

Thanks, and sorry about the inp. I know a lot of people have trouble with 3.0b, but unfortunately I find it the best for playing Psikyo games, especially GB2. One of these days I'll buy a non-crap computer so I can actually record a few runs.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I'm humbled by your skills, azinth. You definitely deserve the top spot.

How are you doing with the 2-5, 2-6 and 2-7 bosses? I think the 2-7 boss is pretty manageable, but 2-5 and the 2-7 mid-boss give me a hard time.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

That replay was pure, edge of seat joy throughout. Very, very well done Azinth!
azinth

Post by azinth »

NTSC-J wrote:I'm humbled by your skills, azinth. You definitely deserve the top spot.

How are you doing with the 2-5, 2-6 and 2-7 bosses? I think the 2-7 boss is pretty manageable, but 2-5 and the 2-7 mid-boss give me a hard time.
Thank you for the kind words. They actually mean a lot, since your 2-All was one of the things that inspired me to pick this game up again.

I have a lot of practicing to do on the later bosses, but I think with enough time they'll become manageable. The 2-5 boss's first form is relatively simple enough when you know what's coming, but it's pretty easy to clip his patterns, especially the ones with the red floating turrets. It's second form requires at least two bombs for those two crazy-ass yellow deathsprays. The first one I'm pretty sure I won't want to try and dodge in a real run for a long long time. The second one seems like it might have some trick to make it easy, but I'm not sure. I dodged it in my previous run, but that was pretty much just me randomly flailing around and getting lucky. :P

The 2-6 boss has two trouble spots: the openers of each form. I sort of know how to dodge them, but they require a lot of precision and I'm afraid of clipping them so if I'm lucky enough to get there with some bombs, I'll definitely use them on those. Unfortunately the boss uses its second form opener twice before dying, so I'd have to hope that I have three bombs going into the fight.

The 2-7 midboss... well, if I get there with at least two bars worth of charge shot, I should be able to cheese through him with Tavia's bullet canceling. Even with that though, his patterns and movement can be really random, so I'll sort of have to hope for the best. I really hate that thing, even on the first loop he's so hard to predict and easy to screw up. God knows how many no-miss first loops I've lost from clipping one of his patterns.

The final boss actually seems pretty simple. The only part I'm really having trouble figuring out is the last pattern in the pirate battle. It obviously alternates between bullets aimed at and away from you, but I haven't gotten the timing to dodge it down yet. On the other hand the elephant is pretty easy as long as you pacifist through the six-pill wave. I'm almost tempted to learn how to milk him (almost). Kinda anticlimactic really. Dragon Blaze final boss this thing certainly aint.

And of course the stages in this game are usually just as brutal as the bosses, sometimes even more so. Those damn suicide bullets in 2-4 and 2-5 ;_;
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I think the 2-5 boss is the hardest in the game for his second form alone. The first form is actually very manageable and I rarely screw it up, but I always use 2 bombs for the rest of the fight. I just cant find a reliable way to dodge those patterns and considering how many bombs I have to risk at that point (in an ideal run) it isnt worth the trouble.

The 2-6 midboss can be very tricky if you draw the wrong two floating heads. The main head makes me nervous because I need to use my secondary attacks just right or I mess it up. Same with the 2-7 midboss.

I also have a hard time with the last pattern of the pirate battle. I can do it maybe half the time in practice, but thats not consistent enough for me to risk it in a real run. The first loops safe spot really spoils me on that one.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

winteR - 1,196,600 - 2-1 - Marion - MAME

Coin Chain:
32 - winteR

Incidentally the coin chain is for the same run I got the clear.
azinth

Post by azinth »

Azinth - 2,748,600 - ALL - Tavia - MAME

FFFFF YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME

THE ONE FUCKING RUN OF THE DAY WHEN I FEEL TOO LAZY TO MAKE AN INP I DO THIS

welp, now I gotta go beat this score ;_;

Here's some stuff that I remember:
-NMNB until the bomb carrier in 2-2 once again. I'd really like to be able to do this consistently.
-No-miss until the 2-5 boss. Went into it with one bomb, so I was kinda screwed
-Second death in 2-6 to the pellet-storm between the pots and the midboss. Brain-fart, wasn't streaming properly, tried to dodge through a cluster of bullets :v
-Third death to the spinny statues in the beginning of 2-7. Once again, my execution was faulty. I went to the left too fast and got trapped.
-I got to the elephant with one bomb. I might've been able to NMNB it for an extra 100k of endbonus, but I really didn't want to risk it and just bombed the second wave of frogs

Goddamn, for some reason this just feels like it came out of nowhere. This has been my favorite shmup for almost two years, and I've sunk an absolutely unhealthy amount of time into it. Until a few months ago an ALL in this game seemed like a pipe dream to me, but here it is. This doesn't quite have the feeling of finality that I thought it would though. I definitely plan on trying to beat this score in the future. And hopefully make a replay too :P