shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:47 am 


Banned User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Location: Taunton
Plasmo wrote:
Nice progress! :D

Do you have the run recorded?

Very close to the top score now! Can you do it? :wink:


I haven't checked the inp but i do indeed have it recorded (i'll check and share it shortly), worth noting i collected a 3rd life twice by accident so rank was bonkers. It was so close to a clear as well but such is life as for the last question i haven't really thought about anything further than i really enjoy this game and i want further refinement with a relatively clean H,xxx clear before i submit the replay so we'll see i guess.

Edit: inp here https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqeeuxwh54ghw ... r.inp?dl=0


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:12 pm 


Banned User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Location: Taunton
Advance
clp - H,271,380 - 9(ALL) - Car-Pet (S) - Shmupmame v3.0

Smallest pb ever but it's a H clear so good enough to warrant a break for a little whilst. Rng was a mix of very good and dire shit which landed me around 500k behind pace overall but a decent last stage and clear pipped it over. This run will be uploaded at some point but i'm definitely not done just wanted a H clear in the bank before i go on at a not so later date.

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:15 am 


Banned User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Location: Taunton
Advance
clp - I,093,390 - 9(ALL) - Car-Pet (S) - Shmupmame v3.0

Image

Of course this run happens after i submit the H score video, great run with a full medal chain of the whole game and i missed an extend getting trolled by bashi-r. A fairly average/weak early game that took off around first bashi giving god tier missile spam milk.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm 


Banned User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Location: Taunton
Advance
clp - I,249,920 - 9(ALL) - Car-Pet (S) - Shmupmame v3.0

New western record for solo and almost up to aqys team score. The first 3 stages were complete wank leaving me 500k down on pb pace but stage 5 on were just insane, had a bomb shortage and had to go yolo on pretty much all of the last stage including that turret wall but somehow pulled it off. This was a great run overall and no desync on the inp which is nice.
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 3242
Location: In a storm
:shock:

Almost there! Keep up the excellent work!

The weird split in the tables is kinda unfortunate. You never know who's first now and have to scroll and search first.
_________________
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:39 pm 


Banned User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Location: Taunton
cheers plasmo, if everything hits my current pb pace markers for each stage at an absolute squeeze i believe a J would be my absolute limit and i agree there's way to much fracturing in the scoreboard. Any chance we could just have it as team/solo/boss rush normal/advance? as those are the only lines the game itself draws.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:21 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 955
nicely done I with Carpet isn't easy!

global board + individual boards can coexist, maybe put the latter in spoilers
_________________
ImageImage
my blog mostly about stgs, progress etc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 3205
Location: the black gate
Plasmo wrote:
The weird split in the tables is kinda unfortunate. You never know who's first now and have to scroll and search first.

Why I didn't really want to do it! Batrider has WAY too many possible categories, you need to build a fancy website specifically for it. Funny weekend web design project??? Maybe someday. I do want to make a fancy automated scoreboard with nice buttons and themes for specific games etc (and most importantly comments and/or forum thread-type things) someday.

I was specifically asked to do it, probably because of things like Car-Pet dominance. If anyone wants me to go full global again, I'd be fine with that, but I'm not doing both. I mean at this point I really should just start saying "global boards don't exist" everywhere, not interested in another seven years of "debating" this. And again, Batrider is really not the game you want to split everything for, I'm still amazed people wanted me to do it. If people had suggested "split by button" as well back then, I'd probably have condemned the thread.

If every game was as simple as a CAVE game, things would be better. They'd also be more boring though, I guess.

I can't merge everything today, I should be able to Wednesday though.
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 3242
Location: In a storm
I fully agree that Batrider is awfully complex in regards to character selection (simply fits the rest of the game). It makes no sense to even try to have separate tables for everything. In an extreme case such as this, I would just model the scoreboard after Arcadia rules which means one table for Advance. As a bonus we can also have the other modes. Separate tables for solo vs. mixed team feels strange. Planning out an efficient team is the first hurdle a player has to take. Solo Carpet/Garegga/Strawman might be easier at the beginning, but is ultimately handicapped for high scoring. Mixed team is the only way to go if you are serious about this game.
_________________
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:52 pm 


Banned User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Location: Taunton
Plasmo wrote:
Separate tables for solo vs. mixed team feels strange.


Disagree i think it makes perfect sense, it's only an unfortunate oversight that the game didnt do this but then again garegga doesn't either yet every ship is recognized separately afaik?

Plasmo wrote:
Mixed team is the only way to go if you are serious about this game.


I disagree with this to, team offering the highest scoring potential has nothing to do with seriousness or whatever bollocks it just literally means the score ceiling is higher. It's like saying "oh if you're serious about garegga you must play gain" and ignore the efforts with other (imo more interesting) ships, as for "muh arcadia" my feelings on giving 2 fucks about anything japan does like some weaboo cocksniffer are probably well known enough elsewhere, we should instead just opt for what makes sense to the most amount of people directly involved.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 3242
Location: In a storm
Cool opinion man. Let's perhaps also keep it civil, will ya.

It's difficult to ignore Japanese rules for shooting games since they have an active community chasing high scores in Batrider for 20 years now. Believe it or not, we are hard-pressed to treat 99,9% of their scores as world records. Since there already is an established community with such great achievements, why not simply play after their rules? Does it hurt your ego that much?

And if we split mixed team and solo, why would there be any reason not to split solo into the character chosen, i.e. have 20 different tables or so (i.e. what we have right now)? It's just not worth it with as few players as we are here. Having only this one big split between mixed and solo, but treat solo Carpet the same as e.g. solo Strawman feels just completely arbitrary to me.
_________________
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:48 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 3205
Location: the black gate
Two top Batrider players strongly disagreeing, hoo. I'll just have a merged copy floating around then.

To be fair, it's generally understood that Arcadia categories are strange. They seem to split based on a mysterious list of traditions rather than based on the game itself. CAVE games that aren't Dangun are great examples, particularly DDP/DOJ with their powerups (more important than ship choice half the time) and Futari 1.5 with its neglected extra types (BL fusing them was a pretty Not Bad idea). However, what they're doing is clearly better than the general desire by westerners to not split at all even when it's reasonable (DDP/Eiyashou/Psikyo wastelands etc), so I think the "weeaboo cocksniffer" stuff can take a timeout for now.

I should also point out that very few people are going to need to worry about getting limited by solo characters. As long as they can get a clear or Big Points with their top tier of choice, they're happy. And so we get things like Border Team in Eiyashou (which most people play despite technically being the worst team), or Strawman/Car-Pet in this game. Assuming solo limiting is actually the case, anyway, which I have heard before.

Really, the "framework" to split has always been there, it's just never happened. That's the whole issue, you've got everyone wanting to playing a specific set of characters because a single board will encourage you to. To be honest, that's not as much of a problem with Batrider yet. It's a HUGE issue with Eiyashou and certain other games, and it was why I begged moozooh for years to split his threads.

But, yes, Solo absolutely needs to be split by character, it makes no sense at all otherwise. Teams are variable and there are hundreds combinations, but there are only so many individual characters. I do want to have boards for at least the three default teams though, I just think that's cool and a big part of the game. It'd be nice if people actually tried to do something with them.

Fun fact: there are 816 possible teams without buttons, 59,640 possible teams with buttons, and 357,840 possible teams with buttons and team orders. Dead yet?

final a/b and solo characters (except youkai they're fine) in eiyashou are fucking stupid and i hate zun
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 1688
Location: Massachusetts
Feveron not being split by shot type is as stupid as any of the decisions Arcadia has made for Cave games. There's no way Lock/Roll/Bomb scores are comparable.
_________________
Youtube | Twitch & Scores


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 955
Despatche wrote:
Two top Batrider players strongly disagreeing, hoo.


Shouldn't that be two to one since I'm the one who suggested splits in the first place, obviously I still think splits is the correct way to go about it, the only thing I can agree with on the other side is that there's not that many people playing, hence splits aren't as useful as they would be if the game was more popular. I also don't think you should give extra credence to someone's opinion based on their score in the game, just focus on the substance behind the arguments.

Solo runs and team runs are utterly incomparable and it is very disrespectful to solo players to say that their efforts don't count for anything because only team runs is the real deal. If I went back and worked on my team run I wouldn't consider the score superior to my Car-Pet run unless I beat it by at least like 5 million points or so? Team runs are harder yes but you also get a lot more score for playing them, so there's not much reason to compare a solo score with a team score by putting them in the same scoreboard, It's two completely different ways to play the game and the team way scores much higher yes that doesn't mean it's the only real way to play the game. Solo is interesting in its own way and all different characters have different gameplay and score potential meaning that obviously they should be separated like in other games like that. Team runs are also harder in the long run for an already really rough game so the option of playing solo is often enticing and I think that splitting characters also encourages the player to try out another character and see what you can do with them. Contrary to popular belief no characters in Batrider are "useless", useless for WR team composition yes, better or worse than others yes, but like in any other game with character selection, playing a certain character means you are playing a game with that character, that means that comparisons with scores done with a different character are always faulty since characters are different. Sure, to a degree you can always compare on some level, but Batrider is a good example of a game where different characters, and solo/team difference is simply too huge. Really, some people enjoy playing underpowered characters and seeing what you can do with them, and there's a lot of these to choose from in Batrider.

Yes, you end up with a fuckload of categories, but the only reason it looks like clutter and is disorienting is because the community itself doesn't get enough submissions, so you have almost all half-empty categories. All I can say is you have to ask yourself if you think doing it the right way is worth that extra trouble, and that I think that it is. Things should be done properly and that means splitting all the categories. I still maintain my previous suggestion that an overall leaderboard on top of the character splits is the best way to go about combining being proper and thorough with an accessible and easily understood format, thereby pleasing everyone.
_________________
ImageImage
my blog mostly about stgs, progress etc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:34 am 


Banned User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Dec 2013
Posts: 380
Location: Taunton
Plasmo wrote:
Cool opinion man. Let's perhaps also keep it civil, will ya.

It's difficult to ignore Japanese rules for shooting games since they have an active community chasing high scores in Batrider for 20 years now. Believe it or not, we are hard-pressed to treat 99,9% of their scores as world records. Since there already is an established community with such great achievements, why not simply play after their rules? Does it hurt your ego that much?


Ego? christ no i'm and adult and this is all just silly video games for fun. Arcadia covers very specifically literally 2 arcades in Japan and only log those which due to the vibrancy of the scene does happen to contain a majority of WR's (not all though and i don't see them recognizing the new DDP DOJ record because the legitimacy policy they have in place is isolationist in the most absolute manner, more a fact than a criticism but irrelevant in the internet age none the less). Why not play by their rules? because we are grown adults with our own minds and as a community can analyze and improve/disregard elements of the system they have in place that may not make complete sense, why stick to a limiting system that discourages and forces everyone into playing a game in one very strict tight way if they intend to compete? Stop appealing to the "authority" of japan as it's high time to shed the teenage weaboo act and start thinking for yourself? generally not personally. Arcadia has no relevance to us and we should have no issue taking things they do which make sense an improving on things which don't from the perspective of THIS community.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2014
Posts: 3119
Location: Ringing the bells of fortune
I personally would like to see some categories for "special" teams such as the "default" Batrider teams, all-Garegga teams, all-Mahou teams, etc. but that could easily get out of hand. Hard to satisfy everyone without a queryable database...

I think the current layout is pretty reasonable, covers all the distinctions that I think are actually important (let's not go as far as distinguishing between different button variants). I see that there are even headers for the default teams but they're all empty (first time I've noticed them myself, are those new? Maybe I'll put some more effort into those teams now). A combined board in addition to the existing splits might make sense but I don't think it's much of a loss to not have one, if you're really interested it's not that hard to parse the scores yourself.

By the way, using the "start" rank (holding start on boot) is allowed and assumed, right? That's one other thing you could split by. :P
_________________
Image
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 3242
Location: In a storm
Quote:
I also don't think you should give extra credence to someone's opinion based on their score in the game, just focus on the substance behind the arguments.


I disagree. The maintainer of a scoreboard over here should always listen to what the crowd says because he's doing it for them. Ideally, of course, the crowd gives reasonable arguments and everything tourns out fine in the end. It should be a perfectly democratic process though. At the moment it looks like it's a good idea to have more than one scoreboard since I am outnumbered.


Cee wrote:
Plasmo wrote:
Cool opinion man. Let's perhaps also keep it civil, will ya.

It's difficult to ignore Japanese rules for shooting games since they have an active community chasing high scores in Batrider for 20 years now. Believe it or not, we are hard-pressed to treat 99,9% of their scores as world records. Since there already is an established community with such great achievements, why not simply play after their rules? Does it hurt your ego that much?


Ego? christ no i'm and adult and this is all just silly video games for fun. Arcadia covers very specifically literally 2 arcades in Japan and only log those which due to the vibrancy of the scene does happen to contain a majority of WR's (not all though and i don't see them recognizing the new DDP DOJ record because the legitimacy policy they have in place is isolationist in the most absolute manner, more a fact than a criticism but irrelevant in the internet age none the less). Why not play by their rules? because we are grown adults with our own minds and as a community can analyze and improve/disregard elements of the system they have in place that may not make complete sense, why stick to a limiting system that discourages and forces everyone into playing a game in one very strict tight way if they intend to compete? Stop appealing to the "authority" of japan as it's high time to shed the teenage weaboo act and start thinking for yourself? generally not personally. Arcadia has no relevance to us and we should have no issue taking things they do which make sense an improving on things which don't from the perspective of THIS community.


It is a silly old videogame. It is also a hobby for many of us and we spend many hours playing them in our freetime. This way, it forms a big part of our lives at least for some of us. If something is important and means something to you, it doesn't make it less fun and vice versa.

I'm not sure how serious you are with "literally 2 arcades in Japan". But maybe just to clarify: The scores published in Gamest/Arcadia magazines and nowadays by JHA online were achieved in hundreds of different arcades in dozens of different cities. Around 99% of all STG players worldwide can potentially submit their scores. However, the tiny fraction of people who play STGs outside of Japan cannot submit their scores. It's just a plain fact, that these silly old games are not very well known, let alone played competitively outside of Japan. This forum is the 1%. We can have our own rules, fair enough, but since we are so few people, the tables will look very empty. Only under these circumstances, I would suggest having one table. I would be more than glad to see more score submissions and more filled up tables.

Ignoring the 99% authority and feeling so very mature about doing things differently as the 1% feels kinda awkward. But this forum is full of awkward people, why not.

Also, since I am playing with a mixed team, I don't mind having other tables that much. I simply don't care about them. I would be pissed though if I would get a really good score with a solo team and still my score wouldn't be able to compete with the mixed team scores (at least visually, without too much scrolling). If solo team players do not feel the same, that's great.


Cee wrote:
not all though and i don't see them recognizing the new DDP DOJ record because the legitimacy policy they have in place is isolationist in the most absolute manner


It does not get recognized because it was done on a different hardware. This is the privilege of a really big community. We as the 1% do not make any distinction between hardware and throw them all together in one table. It's kinda schizophrenic to split boards for mixed team vs. solo but not to have different tables for emu scores and pcb scores.

Again, I'm all for one shared board and this is only because of the circumstances we are dealing with. The bigger the community gets, the more sense I see in making more divisions grounded on gameplay, hardware, gender of the player etc. The bigger we grow, the less impact Arcadia has on us. But as things stand today, it's naive to ignore the monument of competitive STG gaming Japan has created. The scores are for centuries to beat.
_________________
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 3205
Location: the black gate
For what it's worth, Plasmo, you have always been 100% excellent with everyone, and I'd be willing to make special exceptions for someone like that. This, unfortunately, is not a special exception, but a pretty big deal.

I don't really see the comparison between platform and character. Character choice changes the game in a big way, and you've stated so yourself. Barring severe emulation bugs, an emulator would be largely identical. This is why GareMAME exists.

What I do has little to do with Arcadia, though it never hurts to see what they do. What I do concerns the nature of the game itself, and that generally has precedence over what the community wants, because people have this really bad habit of not using other characters when they don't "have" to (which would probably still happen if there was an overall board). In all the years I've been here, I've heard about splits scaring people away, but I simply haven't seen it in practice... and there's a very clear reason for that.

iconoclast wrote:
Feveron not being split by shot type is as stupid as any of the decisions Arcadia has made for Cave games. There's no way Lock/Roll/Bomb scores are comparable.

This guy gets it, though it would immediately become the CAVE game with the most categories, even when you start putting multiple versions together for some games. If I do that, then we're gonna have 20 boards at the bare minimum, Speed probably isn't a big enough deal. Does anyone else really want that? I mean, hey, I kinda do. But CAVE games are the ones that get the most traffic, even the older ones... I don't want another DDP on my hands, you know? One really old member and his buddy can cause a lot of trouble. You don't have that as much with something like Touhou, unless we resurrect someone from the forum graveyard somehow. I did have endo try to chew me out over Gunbird, though, so I guess Psikyo can be scary territory when it wants to be...

chum wrote:
Shouldn't that be two to one since I'm the one who suggested splits in the first place, obviously I still think splits is the correct way to go about it, the only thing I can agree with on the other side is that there's not that many people playing, hence splits aren't as useful as they would be if the game was more popular. I also don't think you should give extra credence to someone's opinion based on their score in the game, just focus on the substance behind the arguments.

I just meant Cee and Plasmo going at it.

It's not so much that I'm giving extra credit, just that... the forum is looking dire, you know this. The only people that submit scores at all anymore is that small handful of people who really know or care about any of these games. What they say is really important, such as with iconoclast's post. That's something I've always wanted to do, but I made that board back when I wasn't sure people were gonna be okay with 20 boards for a game that used to have 4, and... only iconoclast has really chimed in on how it should be run. At some point I realized most people just don't care and started doing ridiculous things like Eiyashou etc.

This would be that reason I was talking about earlier.

I still want to open no-resource boards for Touhou... those should be separate threads though, and I want to at least be able to fill up Easy and Normal before I even think about posting such a thread. You could treat them like the No Laser stuff, it'd work out.

chum wrote:
Solo runs and team runs are utterly incomparable and it is very disrespectful to solo players to say that their efforts don't count for anything because only team runs is the real deal. If I went back and worked on my team run I wouldn't consider the score superior to my Car-Pet run unless I beat it by at least like 5 million points or so? Team runs are harder yes but you also get a lot more score for playing them, so there's not much reason to compare a solo score with a team score by putting them in the same scoreboard, It's two completely different ways to play the game and the team way scores much higher yes that doesn't mean it's the only real way to play the game. Solo is interesting in its own way and all different characters have different gameplay and score potential meaning that obviously they should be separated like in other games like that. Team runs are also harder in the long run for an already really rough game so the option of playing solo is often enticing and I think that splitting characters also encourages the player to try out another character and see what you can do with them. Contrary to popular belief no characters in Batrider are "useless", useless for WR team composition yes, better or worse than others yes, but like in any other game with character selection, playing a certain character means you are playing a game with that character, that means that comparisons with scores done with a different character are always faulty since characters are different. Sure, to a degree you can always compare on some level, but Batrider is a good example of a game where different characters, and solo/team difference is simply too huge. Really, some people enjoy playing underpowered characters and seeing what you can do with them, and there's a lot of these to choose from in Batrider.

Yes, you end up with a fuckload of categories, but the only reason it looks like clutter and is disorienting is because the community itself doesn't get enough submissions, so you have almost all half-empty categories. All I can say is you have to ask yourself if you think doing it the right way is worth that extra trouble, and that I think that it is. Things should be done properly and that means splitting all the categories. I still maintain my previous suggestion that an overall leaderboard on top of the character splits is the best way to go about combining being proper and thorough with an accessible and easily understood format, thereby pleasing everyone.

This is basically me for the past seven years. Other than the bit at the end, we will always always always agree on this much. This is really important for games that have a very clear "best" character like Strikers 1999.

For the bit at the end, see the DDP mess. I do not believe in "pleasing everyone" by wasting space on an entire section of duplicate information in an intentionally misleading way, especially when "everyone" is a very small number that mostly consists of you guys. I sound like a database class now, don't I? Oh well.

Shepardus wrote:
I personally would like to see some categories for "special" teams such as the "default" Batrider teams, all-Garegga teams, all-Mahou teams, etc. but that could easily get out of hand. Hard to satisfy everyone without a queryable database...

I think the current layout is pretty reasonable, covers all the distinctions that I think are actually important (let's not go as far as distinguishing between different button variants). I see that there are even headers for the default teams but they're all empty (first time I've noticed them myself, are those new? Maybe I'll put some more effort into those teams now). A combined board in addition to the existing splits might make sense but I don't think it's much of a loss to not have one, if you're really interested it's not that hard to parse the scores yourself.

By the way, using the "start" rank (holding start on boot) is allowed and assumed, right? That's one other thing you could split by. :P

I wish there were real Garegga/Mahou teams! Hard to do much with four+four selectable characters in a three-team game, never mind poor Car-Pet over there.

Yeah, I made the default team sections when I made the split. I thought I said something? Maybe I should have said something...

Start rank trick is absolutely allowed, same as Garegga. I noticed some typos with the board, let's call that one of them.

No, we gotta split by Stage Edit too! And then have a section for random teams! Pray you get your top tiers.
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Last edited by Despatche on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 3205
Location: the black gate
Actually, seriously, putting this in a separate post and all, a Batrider random teams week for an STGT would be hilarious. Someone make it happen.
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 1688
Location: Massachusetts
Despatche wrote:
This guy gets it, though it would immediately become the CAVE game with the most categories, even when you start putting multiple versions together for some games. If I do that, then we're gonna have 20 boards at the bare minimum, Speed probably isn't a big enough deal. Does anyone else really want that? I mean, hey, I kinda do. But CAVE games are the ones that get the most traffic, even the older ones... I don't want another DDP on my hands, you know? One really old member and his buddy can cause a lot of trouble. You don't have that as much with something like Touhou, unless we resurrect someone from the forum graveyard somehow. I did have endo try to chew me out over Gunbird, though, so I guess Psikyo can be scary territory when it wants to be...

Nah, there's no point in changing anything about Feveron. It's not a very popular game and there are only a few TLB clears, so it's fine to keep everything together. It's hard to even find Japanese Lock/Roll scores to compare with since Arcadia decided everyone should use Bomb. It can't be helped.
_________________
Youtube | Twitch & Scores


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 3205
Location: the black gate
The eternal dilemma.

I should play games more. But it's hard to right now.
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 955
Despatche wrote:
I still want to open no-resource boards for Touhou... those should be separate threads though, and I want to at least be able to fill up Easy and Normal before I even think about posting such a thread. You could treat them like the No Laser stuff, it'd work out.


There's really no point in shoehoerning touhou into this website. There's already a thread on eientei that documents as many LNNS as people can find. http://eientei.boards.net/thread/527/to ... nnn-thread

Touhou doesn't get any submissions here with or without restrictions, most good players use royalflare or get documented some other place such as PNDs list, and the 99.999% majority of mediocre players well obviously they are nowhere in sight here either so I advice you to stop trying and just go where the action is if action and activity is what you want.

Quote:
This is really important for games that have a very clear "best" character like Strikers 1999.


Or Batrider (teams by far better, major differences among solo chars)

Quote:
For the bit at the end, see the DDP mess. I do not believe in "pleasing everyone" by wasting space on an entire section of duplicate information in an intentionally misleading way, especially when "everyone" is a very small number that mostly consists of you guys. I sound like a database class now, don't I? Oh well.

I don't really get the problem... don't see how doing both is a waste of space. Having the option of seeing the overall highest score quickly is nice.
_________________
ImageImage
my blog mostly about stgs, progress etc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2014
Posts: 3119
Location: Ringing the bells of fortune
Despatche wrote:
Actually, seriously, putting this in a separate post and all, a Batrider random teams week for an STGT would be hilarious. Someone make it happen.

For a while I passed the time by playing random teams and random stage order and I can assure you it is quite fun.

Despatche wrote:
Yeah, I made the default team sections when I made the split. I thought I said something? Maybe I should have said something...

You mentioned it, I just didn't notice among all the text. Either way I'm glad they're there, makes me tempted to pick up this game again and go for some of those clears.
_________________
Image
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2014
Posts: 3119
Location: Ringing the bells of fortune
Alright here's a bunch of not-very-impressive clears I just got today after not having played this game for months. I may have gotten higher scores before but I didn't record them and they wouldn't have been much higher anyway. "Start" rank used for all three runs.

Normal Course
Shepardus - 4,511,970 - ALL-5 - Police Team (A) - MAME 0.188
Image

Normal Course
Shepardus - 4,103,440 - ALL-5 - Psychic Team (A) - MAME 0.188
Image

Normal Course
Shepardus - 4,122,450 - ALL-5 - Criminal Team (A) - MAME 0.188
Image

Someone please beat these scores, it'd be embarrassing for these to be at the top for long.

By the way, for the solo character normal course scores, most of the "ALL-?" entries can be assumed to be ALL-5, since ALL-6 is only possible with Mahou Daisakusen characters. The one ALL-? in the advanced course solo character table can also be assumed to be ALL-7 since it's with Strawman. Also, I'm not sure how Squire Grooktook got an Advanced Course ALL-9 with solo Shorty, unless he counted Blunt and Envy as an additional two.
_________________
Image
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 3242
Location: In a storm
I found these last posts to be a very interesting read. Maybe it is a good idea to split team and solo scores after all. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
_________________
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 3205
Location: the black gate
Forgot to add a field for TEAM TYPE when I made the split.

Yeah, I kinda just left those spots intentionally blank. Went ahead and tagged anything with a Mahou character as -6 and anything without as -5. Let me know if that wasn't the case for any of those scores (really depends on a very key factor).

Attempting to restart Touhou on this site, which has a lot of history on here, is bad, but plugging a dead-end site like Eientei, on a forum that supposedly hates Touhou, is good? Kinda makes you wonder how things like these old Toaplan games manage it...
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Sweden
A new challenger arrives!

Was super fortunate to pick up this board from a person I haven't spoken to since ~2007. Been playing it on my Astro these past few days, trying to get a somewhat decent score. Happy starting out with this score but I'll be working on this as my vacation starts Tuesday 8)

29. youngmoneySWE - 4,590,940 - 5 - Strawman (C)/Flying Baron (B)/Miyamoto (C) - PCB (Japan ver.B)

I just took a photo with my cellphone to confirm it so... hope that's acceptable

https://ibb.co/fbwsXy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 3205
Location: the black gate
Welcome to the boards! Nice to see an actual PCB score for a change.
_________________
In 1989,The Great Wall was discoverd
In 1990,The Picket Fence was also discoverd


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Armed Police Batrider [Arcade]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Mar 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Sweden
Thanks!

Haven't been able to beat my score outside of a few k's, the 1CC still eludes me... Great game however, taking a short game, but pretty eager to return to it rather sooner than later.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group