Touhou Koumakyou ~ the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. [PC]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
marus

Re: Touhou Koumakyou ~ the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. [PC]

Post by marus »

I still mess up Meek more than I'd like too. It sucks, but it's just one of the things I've come to terms with. I definitely understand the feeling though - stage 6 has made me quit too, since there's so many places where you can screw up and by that point you (ideally) have no spare resources to spend in case you make a mistake.

I'd like to beat ISO's score at some point too, but I really need to revise my patterns before that becomes a feasible goal. There are lots of spots where I'm not sure why I'm losing points; on one of my free days I want to just sit down with MATSU's and my videos side-by-side and take a bunch of notes on how I can improve my runs.
chum

Post by chum »

What I did was write down MATSU's score, graze, point item count for every little section in every stage (and after every boss nonspell or spellcard) and then I've used that to compare to what I have at various point in stage practice. It worked pretty well to figure out I'm doing wrong/what needs improvement. Would recommend!
marus

Post by marus »

Yeah, that was exactly my plan : :o I did that to a small extent a long time ago for stage 3 (which used to cause me a ton of trouble), and it really helped me nail down what parts I needed to focus on. I want to do the same thing throughout the entire game, and in great detail.

Back when I played more frequently, I also used to keep a notebook/diary with a bunch of random notes and ideas, plus thoughts on my runs and achievements. I need to dig that out and start adding to it again, haha.
Vanhaomena

Post by Vanhaomena »

Lunatic - ReimuA
Vanhaomena - 318,620,220 - C - 0.337% - Replay

Lunatic - MarisaA
Vanhaomena - 251,172,700 - C - 0.327% Replay

Lunatic - MarisaB
Vanhaomena - 339,859,690 - C - 0.301% Replay
Zengeku3
Banned User

Post by Zengeku3 »

I don't have anything for this game. Except this little thing. :3

ReimuA - Easy
Zengeku - 96,491,140 - C - 0,174% - http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=31049
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Guess beating the WR on Stage 1 is something worth posting about.
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=31124
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Lunatic - ReimuB
Cactu - 558,929,700 - C - 0.184% - replay

Very happy about this run.
Spark

Post by Spark »

Cactu wrote:Lunatic - ReimuB
Cactu - 558,929,700 - C - 0.184% - replay

Very happy about this run.
Congrats Cactu! :3

EDIT: Just in case:

Extra - MarisaB
Spark - 383,108,480 - C - 0.219% - Replay
DA ZE ~★
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Lunatic - ReimuB
Cactu - 574,250,780 - 6 - 0.045% - Replay

Would have been 600M if I cleared :<
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Lunatic - ReimuB
Cactu - 605,804,580 - 6 - 0.046% - Replay

Yay :3
marus

Post by marus »

You're a beast. Good job! :o
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

Finally, my 1st 1CC!!

Normal - ReimuA
kevinmaccioly - 90,020,820 - C - 0,346% -

chum

Post by chum »

Lunatic - ReimuB
chum - 379,947,280 - 6 - 0.245% - Replay

Looks Like I'm finally playing the category that Cactu wants me to. Nothing too serious (saving the serious mentality for Fairy Wars and only Fairy Wars) I'd be absolutely thrilled if I could even get 450 million at this point, let alone 500, which is probably the absolute maximum that my strategies can allow for. Of course, there is a hope that I can improve my methods and eventually go for 500 even with a "weaker" run like Cactu can.

I was hoping to 400 million this run since I entered stage 6 with 343 which is more than enough even with shitty scoring, but unfortunately I got the game over as usual.

Remilia is just playing hard to get, I know she wants me.
kevinmaccioly wrote:Finally, my 1st 1CC!!
A bit late but congratulations, nailing the first clear is sweet. I hope you'll keep playing this wonderful game!
chum

Post by chum »

Lunatic - ReimuB
chum - 398,499,690 - C - 0.212% - Replay

Fucking hell, me.

Stop being so terrible at a game you've played for hundreds and hundreds of hours.
chum

Post by chum »

Lunatic - ReimuB
chum - 419,005,910 - C - 0.288% - Replay

I lost 3 lives unintentionally on stage 3, 2 on the opener and 1 after the midboss. let's assume 100 millions were lost. Ok maybe a bit less but still.
Cactu

Re: Touhou Koumakyou ~ the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil [PC]

Post by Cactu »

Lunatic - ReimuB
Cactu - 647,096,010 - C - 0.061% - Replay

ヽ(*・ω・)ノ♪
Spark

Post by Spark »

Cactu wrote:Lunatic - ReimuB
Cactu - 647,096,010 - C - 0.061% - Replay

ヽ(*・ω・)ノ♪
pls how do i become asian ;;
DA ZE ~★
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Spark wrote:pls how do i become asian ;;
idk i am trying to become one myself
Last edited by Cactu on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Cactu - 563,655,380 - C - 0.047% - Replay

My attempt at scoring Extra mode. Pretty happy about this.
marus

Post by marus »

Well that was some fast improvement. Congrats!
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Normal - ReimuB
Cactu - 316,954,330 - C - 0.072% - Replay (Video, replay in description)

There we go, got the second highest score for normal mode in the world. It was during a livestream too, which is cool! I made a bunch of mistakes on every stage after stage 2, but I didn't make any really big ones. I could get about 350M if I played perfectly, so I'll probably go for the WR and once I get it, stop playing this mode and go back to Lunatic.
Thanks to Chum and Vanhaomena for helping me with coming up with new routes, and everything else!
marus

Post by marus »

Wow damn, I wish I had time to watch this right now. Congrats!
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

Thanks, marus! Tell me what you think of it once you can watch it. I used your replay for reference for some things, so thanks for that.
marus

Post by marus »

I finally got around to watching it - that was definitely very entertaining! I like your bomb routes for sure - it's just a shame you mistimed a lot of them. Between the stage 6 mistimings and the stage 3 death, you could definitely beat the WR if you have another good run. Otherwise, your movement and sight reading is really good - I'm sure Normal mode patterns must feel really easy after tearing up Lunatic. I'm not sure that I like your liberal use of pausing, but I guess there's technically no rule against that.

Also this has nothing to do with the run specifically, but I'm always impressed how people can time some of the bombs with other music running. I always use the game music to time a lot of stuff (particularly in stage 5) so I'm impressed when I see other people do it so well off visual cues or muscle memory.
Cactu

Post by Cactu »

I guess pausing is a bad habit that I have picked up, and can't seem to stop using it for stuff like reading power item spawns and thinking of what to do next. I think it's acceptable as long as I don't pause buffer to dodge patterns. I'll do my best and try to get the WR! Stuff like Princess Undine and Marionette are total run killers though, haha. That shit is hard as balls.
marus

Post by marus »

I just have a natural aversion against pausing just because I started playing shmups in the arcade, where there is no real pause button, outside of the end-of-stage screens and sometimes cutscenes before bosses. To me, being able to come up with a plan and make decisions when unexpected mistakes happen is part of the appeal of this game. But then, this isn't an arcade game and nobody has explicitly set any rules against it, and like you said you're not pause-buffering or anything, so I'm not against it enough to make a big deal out of it.

Anyways, I look forward to seeing your continued improvement in this game! Also I know what you mean - Princess Undine destroys so many of my runs. I gave up on not quick-killing it just because I got so tired of getting randomed out by it - dying there isn't the worst thing in the world but it's still frustrating when it happens repeatedly.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

pause buffering is still leagues better than all those idiots who think savestating to beat games is okay
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

I recall seeing some thread before, where some guys raised a fit about people pausing in games, and that apparently caused quite a commotion. That thread goes back at least a year and a half, and boy, was that thread quite a work, it went places alright, and it sure looked quite nasty. I never even considered that pausing could be considered cheating. I thought one just pauses to cool off, take a slight break, go to the restroom, and whatnot. I mean, dang.

You know, the funny thing is, I have no idea what is a savestate still. I hear it all the time, but I have no idea what that is. All I do is just hit practice mode/training (If applicable. They have this for every shmup game I play) and just practice stages and the bosses in it. Hopefully, that's not what they mean by a 'savestate.' :?

By the way, incredible job on that playthrough, Cactu! Watching your playthrough really got me back into playing EoSD, as well as helping me in improving my own EoSD runs (As well as getting a better idea on how to score in this game. I should really post a Touhou score sometime soon), to where I almost got Hard mode down for that game very quickly (I've been playing other shmups, so that might have helped a bit, too), and hopefully, in the near future, do Lunatic mode! Can't wait to hear about your WR run, when it happens! I would think MATSU and that other guy, Ichizoku, are both feeling rather nervous about you right now! :)
Last edited by PurpleTheGuy on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

a savestate is something in emulators that allows you to save EXACTLY what you were doing at any time, completely separate from the actual game. this kinda functions like a lot of pc games do, and it's already bad enough there.

in games that are supposed to be beaten in one shot (such as most shmups), savestates make the game's challenge even more pointless than continues do. aside from such foolish people (who don't really get much fun out of this anyway, i don't know why they bother), far less foolish people have turned it into a training tool for games that don't have training/stage select modes (such as most arcade games).
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Ah, so that's what it is. Now that I know what it is exactly, I've seen some who use this, what you're describing, when playing certain RPGs in their emulators, and it looked pretty funny. So that's what it is. Yeah, that does sound pretty, well, very overpowered, so to speak. Never thought one could even use such a thing in shmups. Well, anyway, I haven't really used them, so I can't say much about it, otherwise, other than I think one would use it to try to scope out new routes or strategies, something like that, my guess. It does seem like a useful training tool, indeed, if there isn't any practice/training mode.

Until now, I thought it referred to the practice mode/training mode option to practice stages and bosses given in shmup games in-general, like in many PC shmups and in game console shmups, and that some didn't like that option merely because the original arcade machines have no such thing as practice mode/training mode.
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome