Solid State Survivor

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Sasupoika

Solid State Survivor

Post by Sasupoika »

Download this shmup from here:
http://www.geocities.jp/sp1_ssr/s3.htm

Secret ship is not allowed at this point because I have no idea how it scores or works.
Please post in this format:

Code: Select all

Score - Name - Ship ( A or B ) - Stage - Autobomb ON/OFF 

#### EASY #####
1. -
2. -
3. -
4. -
5. -

#### NORMAL #####
1. - 251,457,841 - Sasupoika   - A -  Stage 6 -       Autobomb ON
2. - 203,875,383 - BareKnuckleRoo - A - ALL - Autobomb OFF
3. - 155,903,214 - BPzeBanshee - A -  ALL -           Autobomb ON
4. -
5. -

#### HARD #####
1. - 282,087,347 - Scionox - B - Stage 6 - Autobomb ON
2. -
3. -
4. -
5. -
Last edited by Sasupoika on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage
Sasupoika

Re: Solid State Survivor

Post by Sasupoika »

NORMAL
217,649,286 - Sasupoika - A - ALL - Autobomb ON

Yay.
This thread is so empty...
ImageImage
TLB

Post by TLB »

Play DOJ.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

NORMAL
251,457,841 - Sasupoika - A - Stage 6 - Autobomb ON

Blah.
ImageImage
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

This looks interesting but whenever I try to play it all of the HUD and the screen are covered in blank white bars. Is there a fix for that?
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

I got the same problem. Back to Skyrim! :D
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

RNGmaster wrote:This looks interesting but whenever I try to play it all of the HUD and the screen are covered in blank white bars. Is there a fix for that?
You might need to fiddle with Windows 7's compatibility settings; a few people seem to have that issue, myself included when I tried it on my Windows 7 box (I have an XP machine I use normally for games, works fine in XP).

NORMAL
138,615,975 - BKR - Type B - ALL - Autobomb ON

I thought I'd never clear that game, I still have serious issues with all the speedy bullets and constantly mess stage 5 up. Next goal is to clear it without autobombing!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

NORMAL
155,903,214 - BPzeBanshee - A - ALL - Autobomb ON

How the fuck did you manage to get 250 mil Sasupoika? I truly thought I'd hit the scoring cap of sorts till I saw yours. :P
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You get a clear bonus for each life remaining in stock, but it's only 8 million with all 7 extra lives stocked. ((#extra lives + 1) x 1,000,000)

I'm guessing he's much better at pointblanking stuff in the stages; that's really where the bulk of the points come thanks to the massive boost to the combo meter. On the plus side, even a newbie who isn't good at scoring is pretty much guaranteed to get all three extends by stage 5.

Now that I think about it, the stage 4 miniboss encounters would give out a ton of combo/approach for the bullet cancel sections afterwards if you used bombs to stay close to the miniboss as much as possible. Perhaps Stage 4 would net you a crazy score if you pointblanked the minibosses nearly constantly by using bombs for score (which normally hurt score by killing enemies too quickly or destroying bullets you'd want to get a cancel bonus from).

Edit: HOLY CRAP. The first Stage 5 midboss has a speedkill weakness to rapid shots, not the laser. Killing it in a few seconds causes a whole SHITTON of enemies to pop out that are super easy to laser to death at close range - I almost got a 3000 approach built up before the train tracks appeared in training mode!

Edit: 145,701,515 - BKR - Type B - Stage 5 (stupid giant boss lasers ;_;) - Autobomb *OFF*

For fuck's sake. I woulda cleared the game if I hadn't died FOUR FRIGGIN TIMES with 3 bombs left in stock in the middle of Stage 5. I managed to reach Stage 5 with 6 lives, 1 bomb (5 bombs in Stage 4 :| ) and messed up badly (started by ramming the first midboss, derp). Gotta remember I turned autobomb off...

Also, where the hell is Sasupoika's score coming from?! Best I've managed is 32 mil from Stage 1, 11 mil from Stage 2, 60 mil from stage 3, and finally entering stage 5 with 100 or so million points. 200k I can see reaching with some serious pointblanking, but there must be some scoring mechanic (like the medal x2 chaining?) that I'm missing here, because 250k seems crazy huge. How is he getting such a massive score? Help!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

177,233,813 - BKR - Type B - Stage 6 (stupid TLB ;_;) - Autobomb OFF

Damn. Missed the stage 3 1up and died once against TLB with full bomb stock. No missed up to Stage 5 though, so other than missing that 1up and some silly deaths in Stage 5, pretty happy with this. So close to getting the 1cc with autobombs off. It seems a huge chunk of score comes from raising the multiplier as much as you can against the Stage 5 boss and bullet cancelling (its last form's missile->blue ball attack seems to give a massive chunk of score).

I can see maybe getting to 200k someday, but I'm finding it hard to see how much higher than 200k I could get it. Where is most of your score coming from Sasupoika? I can get 100 mil by the end of stage 3 now, but I'm having trouble pushing my score up there. Are you bombing the stage 5 boss purposely in order to stay in close range for as much of a multiplier boost as possible?

Also, I tried fiddling with the compatibility settings in Windows 7, could not get it to work with it at all no matter what. Rather disappointing, especially for people with newer operating systems.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Dayum you beat my score. :P

Yeah, Sasupoika must know something we don't. Too bad he's busy as hell these days.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Woah, scores!
Updated ( I thought no-one played this game! ).

The trick is to chain everything and point-blank like madman. Almost every stage can be fully chained ( except 2 ). As long as your aproach is high your chain won't break.
Point-blanking increases aproach and increases chain more rapidly. The bullets cancelled into gold give huge-ass bonus in score ( the score from gold is based on chain ).

BareknuckleRoo:
Most of my score comes from stage 5. Stage 5 has huge score-potential, especially the last boss if you have huge chain.
IIRC, stage 5 is like 100-150 millions of my score.
ImageImage
Rex Cavalier

Post by Rex Cavalier »

Epic bump! Point blanking + Suicide bullets = !!Fun!! :lol:

HARD
206,613,044 - Scionox - B - Stage 6 - ON

Screwed up alot on stage 5, might have been 1ALL otherwise. Oh well, guess next time!
Rex Cavalier

Post by Rex Cavalier »

Update!

HARD
220,249,421 - Scionox - B - Stage 6 - ON

Screwed up even more in stage 5 but still managed to get higher score. :o

Edit: Up-Date

HARD
225,216,190 - Scionox - B - Stage 6 - ON

Getting waaaay to risky with point blanking
Rex Cavalier

Post by Rex Cavalier »

HARD
246,699,158 - Scionox - B - ALL - ON

Finally 1-ALL on hard, and with it new highscore! :)
Rex Cavalier

Post by Rex Cavalier »

HARD
263,714,742 - Scionox - B - Stage 6 - ON

Not an 1ALL this time, but higher score, got way too risky with ye olde suicide bullets and then went on and perfected TLB first form only to die on the first attack of second one. :lol:

Edit: Minor update

HARD
267,228,304 - Scionox - B - Stage 6 - ON
Rex Cavalier

Post by Rex Cavalier »

HARD
282,087,347 - Scionox - B - Stage 6 - ON

Some progress, getting closer to 300mil. Is this board even getting updated? :?:
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Yes.
Just pretend I am a ghost.
ImageImage
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The secret ship's reflect instead of bomb mechanic can be easily abused. It's not like Giga Wing where there's a cooldown time between shielding - by tapping the bomb button, you can get a longer shield effect by draining the meter less, and the extra damage boost from absorbing shots makes things even easier. It seems the basic shots/laser actually do a bit extra damage compared to the A/B types, though I could be wrong here.

I'd treat it like SDOJ's 360 Port's extra shot type and make its scoreboards separated from the others. The C shot's ability to absorb nearly everything (including the final boss/TLB giant lasers) make it an absolute beast - it should have its own scoreboards. It might actually be tougher to score with since you kill everything so quickly... and you get no autobombs (but autobomb off is the default setting anyways, it only comes turned on with the config file when you first install the game, going into the options and resetting to default disables the autobomb).

Also, nice to see another B type player. Some damn fine scores, Hard mode's pseudorandom revenge bullets are absolutely brutal to deal with.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

THE WEBSITE LINK IS DOWN, OH NO. I popped the zip for the last version I have on here, I assume this is a legit filesharing service: https://gofile.io/?c=QU1BOl

We need to get the game hosted elsewhere so people can play this gem. Note that if you want to play it at a higher resolution than 640 x 480 you can edit config.ini under the config folder:

[Resolution]
dispx=1280
dispy=960

Note that the zip file the game originally came with (and that I've uploaded here) has autobomb set to ON but if you go in the Options menu and reset to default, the game sets autobomb to OFF. I don't think there is a scoring motivation to play with it OFF though, unlike Blue Wish Resurrection where the clear bonus is increased by a huge amount.

Edit: Score improvement! Run's up on YouTube:

203,875,383 - BareKnuckleRoo - Type A - ALL Clear - Autobomb OFF

No-miss to the S5 boss, died once with a bomb stocked, then died a few times on TLB with bombs remaining. Otherwise happy with the run, with a couple lives still in stock after a TLB fight that more or less went how I wanted it to. Recorded in high res (1280 x 960), upload to come to Youtube.

How do you deal with the stage 5 boss's 3rd attack with Type A? I have huge problems dodging it whereas Type B can just wide dodge around the beams.