Zero Gunner 2

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Battletoad

Re: Zero Gunner 2

Post by Battletoad »

Kollision wrote:Now I played in 5 (Arcade), and it's noticeably more difficult. I don't remember any 2nd loop suicide bullets in diff. 4. :?

Should I keep on playing? Nah.....
Well then you definitely remember it wrong. 4 (normal) also has suicide bullets in the 2nd loop.
If you don´t care about the 2nd loop maybe you could at least milk the 1st one a bit more. There are still some more points to get (at least 150,000). If that´s worth it for you. ;)
TLB

Post by TLB »

Alright! I started playing this again a day or two ago and now, when I'm not false-starting for an hour or two at a time (this really does happen ;_;), I'm getting well into 1-6 regularly. My best score is now 874k (previously 725k), but I don't even want to post one until it's a million or a 1st loop clear.

I feel like such a noober because I can't handle the 1-5 boss with anything but the Apache -_- Hopefully I can no-miss through 1-6 and still have enough charge shots left to stomp out everything in 1-7. There's a lot going on in 1-7 that I'm not experienced with, so perhaps i should spend a day credit-feeding to learn how to play it.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

@ TOM
Well, you´re maybe not a noober, the 2nd part of the stage 5 boss is kind of a bitch. The standard attacks don´t bother me much, but his "berserk" move where all the drones fire and he spins around... this is just sick. Sometimes I avoid this attack but I don´t really know how. With the Apache I always use two special attacks there (right when he releases the drones) and then he´s done without any trouble. ;)
Maybe Rob knows something about avoiding this attack...?

Hope to see a score of yours soon. :)

@ topic

Battletoad - 1,636,750 - 2-1 - Comanche
Almost 100,000 better. I´d like to beat Rob´s score here, too, but that won´t be easy. CSP's Comanche superplay has 1.8 million after the first loop which is giving me some hope... But I really suck at the stage 6 boss. He is extremely difficult with the Comanche, especially for milking.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Battletoad wrote:@ TOM
Maybe Rob knows something about avoiding this attack...?
Any strategy would involve destroying enough of the drones to survive, but not all of them, since doing that will make it shoot out another batch of them immediately. This is probably the toughest part in the game since the drones have suicide bullets in the loop too.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 1,795,050 - 2-2 - Hokum

Much better score in the first loop (1.64 million), I´m really content with that now. I gotta force me to practice the loop stages as I always don´t want to continue when I´m on a good run. ;)

Battletoad - 1,731,200 - 2-1 - Comanche

Coming closer...
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 1,827,650 - 2-2 - Hokum

Slightly better. My deaths were rather unlucky in this run. On a credit feeding run, I already made it from 2-1 on to the 2-3 boss losing only two lives. In general, I slowly get a better feeling in the 2nd loop. It´s indeed really fun and motivating apart from some unfair passages. Expecting to reach 2-3 soon.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 1,865,900 - 2-2 - Hokum
Damn train boss! Only a few seconds more and I would have defeated him and reached 2-3. Well next time I guess...

Battletoad - 1,788,500 - 2-2 - Apache
Just played 2 credits with the Apache for the fun of it. Now I just need THIS score with the Comanche and everything´s fine. ;)
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Finally... First place get! :D

Battletoad - 1,832,350 - 2-2 - Comanche

I no missed the 1st loop and even stage 2-1 (Sea of Cloud). but how I did 2-1 was extremely lucky (and funny to watch). Almost reached 2-3 here as well, but I´m glad I made it this far with the Comanche. I´ll upload the replay as soon as possible as I won´t play with the Comanche again. Never. Ever. Seriously, it´s too damn hard... ^^

Here´s also a slight improvement of the Hokum score, but the next one I post shall be a 2-3 score.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Ooh. I want to beat this now.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Do that, but as I said I probably won´t follow you. ;)

Battletoad - 1,984,450 - 2-3 - Hokum
2 million, here I come (soon)!
No miss in the 1st loop, then some of my most ridiculous deaths and some great luck at other passages. The Train boss killed me of cause...
The stages became a lot better, I mostly die on the bosses. Especially the Train boss (both parts) and Marine boss (fist part and the midboss before) still scare the shit out of me. But this is the 4th time into 2-3, the next two stages are very much in reach.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 2,137,250 - 2-5 - Hokum

Wow that was much faster than I expected! Got my 2nd place back. :D
One death each in Marine Base (usual), Submergence City (stupid one) and Alpine Armored Train (happy that it´s not more). Then No Miss Sea of Cloud although there I startet to get really nervous. Also had a little luck here and there which is kind of necessary. I´m still very motivated and I feel it in my veins that there´s still more possible. So I won´t stop yet.

Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 1,920,550 - 2-3 - Apache

Hey Apache is really not as bad as I thought in the 2nd loop. Well the stages are horribly difficult (slow speed, forward shot, lots of enemies), but some of the bosses really become a lot easier. Not only because of the ridiculous special attack, but you also have to deal with less suicide bullets, for example on the Submergence City boss. I even no missed Alpine Armored Train, should be the first time ever. :lol:
2 million would be cool with this ship, then I´d be done.

I also continued practicing with the Hokum and got to the 2-5 boss. Only his last turn killed me... No new high score though as I didn´t milk anything in the first loop. Takes too much time if I do that in every run.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 2,026,400 - 2-4 - Apache
Done with the Apache. :)
One death at the very beginning of Marine Base, another death on the 1st boss part from Sea of Cloud (this superfast pattern is really a bitch). No miss on Submergence City, this stage plays really awesome with the Apache. The train boss (and a bullet in the stage) finished me off then. I saved the replay, want to upload it soon together with the Comanche replay. But I´d like to try to record it from another TV (mine sucks...). So it might take a little time.

Battletoad - 2,266,350 - 2-5 - Hokum
New high score here, too. Got to the boss again, this time with milking in the 1st loop. This was a very weird run though, I screwed up the first part(!) of the 1-5 boss, was in his back for too long, thus he made his berserk attack earlier than usual. Then I only lost one life in 2-1 to 2-4, survived the beginning of 2-5 without special attacks ( :lol: ), came well through the stage and still had 2 lives when getting to the boss. Then I fly stupidly into a single bullet, due to lack of concentration I guess... and my sucky TV (the very top and bottom of the screen are missing on my TV). So I couldn´t destroy the arm early enough, stayed too long in the back of the boss again and died...

I´m feeling a bit burned out. I´ll continue a little bit, but will take a break soon. I hope to maybe reach the 2-6 boss, but then it´ll take too much work... for now.
Oh almost forgot to say: I´m working on the stage and boss waklthroughs for my ZG2 Shmup Treatise. For those who might be interested.

TLB

Post by TLB »

Awesome! I can't wait to see the replays and the updated ST!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Ok I decided to do it from my own TV as the other one caused some different problems. So here´s the Apache replay with the usual issues of partly bad quality, some background noises and my TV missing a bit from the top, bottom and left side of the screen.

Apache, 2,026,400 points, stage 2-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90yIViddmEo - 1-1 to 1-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKIJd2DR_8 - 1-4 to 1-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ld8vGzc5Ro - 1-7 to 2-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJaGxCoPeMw - 2-3 to 2-4

EDIT:

Hokum, 2,266,350 points, stage 2-5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOewf1qNzgM - 1-1 to 1-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1rZI5GFgO0 - 1-4 to 1-6 (1st half)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oviIFJgp8NI - 1-6 (2nd half) to 1-7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6ZInfMHvc - 2-1 to 2-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbQ7lBPP7ms - 2-5

If anyone has tips for improved strategies with the Hokum in loop 2, I´d be glad to hear them.
And don´t say anything about my deaths on the 2-5 boss, I don´t know how I "managed" that. :lol:

Comanche replay coming soon.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Battletoad wrote:If anyone has tips for improved strategies with the Hokum in loop 2, I´d be glad to hear them.
And don´t say anything about my deaths on the 2-5 boss, I don´t know how I "managed" that. :lol:
Well, you were doing excellently up until that point.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Possibly so...

Battletoad - 2,332,450 - 2-5 - Hokum

2nd boss part, but died a few seconds before defeating him (which I had expected). The score jump came mainly from the 1st loop.
Right after playing this, I watched my Comanche replay and discovered a safe spot for the insane pattern from the Sea of Cloud boss (first part). This should save me a little trouble from now on.

Comanche, 1,832,350 points, stage 2-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wZKRloBmU - 1-1 to 1-3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrKfcTCWd8c - 1-5 to 1-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moHDYH2Nvmw - 1-7 to 2-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7RL3SmmS2o - 2-2
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 1,863,650 - 2-3 - Comanche

Expect some updates (boss strategies) on my Shmup Treatise before STGT... and hopefully some more after it. I have a lot of fun playing this again and got motivated to finish at least the boss strats within the next time. Or let's say this year. I've been lazy long enough.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 2,504,500 - 2-6 - Hokum

Yeah, now what do you say to that, you fucking game? I've already spent quite some hours of tourment, suffering and failure (not to forget tons of fun) back into Zero Gunner 2 and in this run it finally started to pay off. This was the best, weirdest and most hilarious run I ever had in any shooting game. My heart and hands are still shaking like mad. Two of my stupidest deaths ever... In 1-3 when milking the trainboss I died shortly before him and on the 1-5 boss I changed directions and flew back into the crossfire.

But all that was followed by my best scoring run (1,734,000 points after 1st loop) including a new personal best in stage 7 (654,000 points) and an incredible 2nd loop performance. Hell, I even no missed my hate stages Alpine Armored Train and Marine Base even though it was very tight. I was lucky at certain parts for sure. 2-5 boss also... don't know why his berserk pattern wasn't that bad this time.

Game over at 2-6 battleship.

Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 2,589,450 - 2-6 - Hokum

Screwups in 1st loop are getting more frequently. :/
On the other hand I get more and more comfortable in the loop. I even have good chances to survive most bosses, including the plane in Marine Base and the tank in Alpine Armored Train. The only places where I keep dying regularly are Marine Base midboss, 2nd part of Train boss (I survive it surprisingly "often" though) and 2nd part of 2-5 boss. I even have mastered the 2-6 battleship up to the end part with the lasers. No problem in loop 1, but now these popcorn helicopter bastards with their suicide bullets are getting nasty. In this run I died shortly before the lasers with a rather dumb death. Could have made it to the mecha boss.

Currently I need that much special attacks per 2nd loop stage:
  • Alpine Armored Train
    using 3 or 4: midboss, tank boss, mecha boss (1 or 2)
    using 1 more at beginning of stage if many specials in stock
    gaining back 2?
  • Marine Base
    using 3: beginning of stage, midbosses/plane boss (2)
    gaining back 2?
  • Sea of Cloud
    using 1: midboss
    gaining back 2?
  • Submergence City
    using 3: part with durable planes in beginning/middle of stage, submarine boss, mecha boss
    using 1 more on midboss if many specials in stock
    gaining back 2
  • Asian Slum
    using 4 or 5: beginning of stage, middle of stage, end of stage/midboss, spider boss (1 or 2)
    gaining back ??
  • Orbital Elevator
    using 7 or 8: part with durable planes near beginning, midboss, battleship boss (2 when beneath, 2 when inbetween), mecha boss (1 or 2)
    gaining back ??
EDIT: 2,000 points better in my last run. :lol:
I didn't do extensive boss milking though in the first loop and almost reached stage 2-7.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 2,636,550 - 2-6 - Hokum

Wow, how could I not make to 2-7 this time? First time with only one (unnecessary) miss until stage 2-5, then one dumb mistake on 2-5 midboss, a little luck on 2-5 boss, dumb death on the laser part from 2-6 battleship (if I had started shooting again just a tenth of a second later I wouldn't have had to deal with the suicide bullets from the helicopters) and the next mistake right at the beginning of the mecha boss fight.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 2,695,750 - 2-7 - Hokum

I guess I should be happy, but it's hard. :lol:
Man, I did so well just to end my run with stupid actions once again. One death on Marine Base midboss (stage 1-4), then no deaths at all until the laser part from the 2-6 battleship! But then a laser just barely hit me (must have been that one magic pixel that I needed to be farer away)... Then because of that I went into the mecha fight not fully powered up and/or didn't have the special attack on concentrated fire because I carried it over from the battleship instead of starting a new one... so I underestimated the first attack from the orbs and died once more. End of the story: I did finally reach stage 7, but with no specials in stock and this of course resulted in a quick Game Over even though I barely made with luck.

I also already beat stage 2-7 on a practice run only losing one life. I am very close now. :)
Still might take a lot of time though.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 2,789,250 - 2-7 - Hokum

Only 100,000 to go for the Western record. :D
Nontheless I am still aiming for the 2-ALL of course which should give me at least 3 million points.
This time one life (no special attacks) left entering stage 2-7, so now I made it to my most hated part where enemies enter from all sides of the screen at once (shortly before the return of the planes with these fast aimed bullets and the snake midboss). That part is a bitch, way harder than any of the bosses.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

I did it!! :D

Battletoad - 3,093,500 - ALL - Hokum

Survived the the beginning of stage 2-7 miraculously without special attacks. The bosses went real well, the core just before the final boss died a tenth of a second before he would have hit me. Then I did way too weird things on the final boss, but never mind... Even one life left in the end.

I barely can't believe this is already happening. My first and ever only Psikyo 2-ALL. Very probably. :mrgreen:
Photo coming tomorrow, replay soon.
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Awesome job, man. I was following your progress for a little while so it's cool to see you get the clear. Between this and Azinth's GB2 score it's a good day for Psikyo games, haha.

...Any plans to clear S99 in the future? :P
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
azinth

Post by azinth »

Congrats Battletoad! Getting a Psikyo 2-All is truly exhilarating, and you beat Rob's score too. :D Do you think you'll try to push your score any further after this?
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Holy shit. Every new western record is always amazing to see. Good job.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Excellent dedication and a worthy score! I knew you could do it and I'm glad that you've pushed it that far. Outstanding!

You rule man, this is your day!

:D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Thanks a lot everybody!

Sapz wrote:Between this and Azinth's GB2 score it's a good day for Psikyo games, haha.

...Any plans to clear S99 in the future? :P
1. Absolutely. :)

2. That's a heavy question. Zero Gunner 2 has been the only game so far that made me forgot my hate on looping games because it is my favourite shmup. I assume Strikers 1999 is quite a bit harder than the Zero Gunner 2 2-ALL, but it looks like masochistic fun, too. (You even made it look somewhat "easy" in your replay. :P ) I will try to beat a few 2nd loop stages at least, but not too soon.
azinth wrote:Do you think you'll try to push your score any further after this?
No, I can't really imagine... Stage 6 and 7 Bosses could be milked slightly better, but apart from that I could only milk more of the popcorn helicopters during bossfights which is tedious and not worth much. And no one could ever bring me to milk anything in the 2nd loop. I will give the other ships another try though, 2 million with the Comanche would be sweet.

Oh and Plasmo, thanks for the nice competition last year.

I've just been interested and looked through my old posts to resume the development of my high scores. It's been a long journey, but well worth every second I've spent on it. The two very long breaks inbetween were necessary to keep the fun alive and somehow didn't hurt that much. Luckily Zero Gunner 2 isn't too hard to get back into.

Code: Select all

Hokum scores only, these were my top scores all the time anyway

06.06.2009 -   ordered
15.06.2009 -   544,650
17.06.2009 -   590,650
26.06.2009 -   685,850
01.07.2009 - 1,064,200 (1-7)
03.08.2009 - 1,090,000
08.08.2009 - 1,229,800
14.08.2009 - 1,274,050
17.08.2009 - 1,561,000 (2-1)
25.08.2009 - 1,582,800
03.09.2009 - 1,603,050

06.11.2009 - 1,730,550 (2-2)

03.07.2010 - 1,795,050
05.07.2010 - 1,827,650
06.07.2010 - 1,865,900
07.07.2010 - 1,874,700
08.07.2010 - 1,984,450 (2-3)
09.07.2010 - 2,137,250 (2-5)
26.07.2010 - 2,266,350
02.08.2010 - 2,332,450

03.11.2011 - 2,504,500 (2-6)
09.11.2011 - 2,589,450
10.11.2011 - 2,636,550
12.11.2011 - 2,695,750 (2-7)
12.11.2011 - 2,789,250
15.11.2011 - 3,093,500 (ALL)
Last edited by Battletoad on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

:O congratulations. Finally you beat this game.