Border Down (new thread #2)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Plasmo

Re: Border Down (new thread #2)

Post by Plasmo »

Congrats T4N3! :D

Could you post your score in the correct format please?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
T4N3

Post by T4N3 »

Oops my bad, fixed (Idk how to make colors :oops: )
Beam Duel is a religion.
Twatter|Soundclown
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

T4N3 and Plasmo, if you know this:

I have seen that the highest scoring video available is a 318M, but I remember that at some point a 6D score around 371M was available. Has it disappeared? I remember that we found a trick/hack to get half a bar of energy after each boss battle with a higher frequency auto-fire rate. Was it banned, at some point?

Also: I have watched the replay (finally!), and I noticed that the run is a bit conservative. Say, 32-33 M on the first stage are not hard to pull off, the second boss was a bit slow, you canceled the pods on the first form of stage 3's boss early, and so on. I think that you have a 320 M run within reach, but I am wondering if you are feeling unsure about any of the passages (who wouldn't?).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I am pretty confident to say that no 371m video was ever available.

Maybe you mix up 371 with 317?
I like chocolate milk

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

EDIT: never mind the previous post, please.
I am fairly confident that at some point at least a 6D in the 360M region appeared on NicoNico (not youtube), and I blogged about it.
I take it that the old blogs are lost, so this information might remain a mystery forever.

What are the official top scores for the other routes, if accessible? I can only see the 6D one.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

6A 360,356,870
6B 327,419,320
6C 385,816,160
6D 390,261,940

All done by the same player, YOH.
I like chocolate milk

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thank you; these scores look like they will remain mysterious for a while...
T4N3

Post by T4N3 »

Randorama wrote:T4N3 and Plasmo, if you know this:

I have seen that the highest scoring video available is a 318M, but I remember that at some point a 6D score around 371M was available. Has it disappeared? I remember that we found a trick/hack to get half a bar of energy after each boss battle with a higher frequency auto-fire rate. Was it banned, at some point?

Also: I have watched the replay (finally!), and I noticed that the run is a bit conservative. Say, 32-33 M on the first stage are not hard to pull off, the second boss was a bit slow, you canceled the pods on the first form of stage 3's boss early, and so on. I think that you have a 320 M run within reach, but I am wondering if you are feeling unsure about any of the passages (who wouldn't?).
Hi

I have never heard of a 371Mil replay, nor I know about that autofire trick. Wouldn't that just fire homing lasers instead?
I have studied the first boss a lot and my best is close to 31 millions. Surely, if 32 or 33Mil is doable at all, which I doubt, it would certainly not be an easy thing to do. The second boss ended up in negative which cost me 2 millions, and to be honest I fail to understand how I could possibly make more points off the first form of the third boss, but surely you know better. Sorry to disappoint but 320Mil is not possible with my current route, but beating that one good replay on YT might happen one day.

Thank you, and sorry if that wasn't too impressive for your visibly high standards.
Beam Duel is a religion.
Twatter|Soundclown
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

T4N3 wrote:
Hi

I have never heard of a 371Mil replay, nor I know about that autofire trick. Wouldn't that just fire homing lasers instead?
I have studied the first boss a lot and my best is close to 31 millions. Surely, if 32 or 33Mil is doable at all, which I doubt, it would certainly not be an easy thing to do. The second boss ended up in negative which cost me 2 millions, and to be honest I fail to understand how I could possibly make more points off the first form of the third boss, but surely you know better. Sorry to disappoint but 320Mil is not possible with my current route, but beating that one good replay on YT might happen one day.

Thank you, and sorry if that wasn't too impressive for your visibly high standards.
Hello T4N3, just to be sure, I personally don't have high standards to impose on other players' skills; I am deeply impressed by your run, so I wouldn't be so negative.

Said this:

I would need to actually to re-read my own guide (I cannot find the guide I wrote 12-13 years or so, but it should be on this website), but I believe that 32-33 M on the whole of stage 1 are possible, though certainly hard to get consistently.

On the third boss, I remember starting the destruction of the pods a bit later than what you show on your replay, possibly around the 750 hits or so. This is VERY dangerous (timing must be perfect or you won't destroy the first form), but it could give you another 4-5 M. I remember achieving 92-93 M, even if never in a full run.

Your fifth boss is astounding, and probably so is "Donburi". I couldn't think of further improvements, from the video (well, bordering down on 6D :wink:).
The other possibility would be bordering down on stage 6D, and I think that you would get a few more millions on the purple ship with the laser and the bosses.

Now, 1-2 M on the first stage, 2 M on the second boss, 4-5 M on the third boss would net you 8-9 M more. Maybe the final stage could be squeezed to get the other 9 M to reach 320 M.
I wish I could help with finding videos, but the one on the "best replays" thread is all we still have on this forum.

For the auto-fire: I remember that I was using an over-clocked joystick with over-clocked auto-fire, and from time to time I would get half a bar of energy when I would finish a laser battle exactly at the end of the energy bar. Another user (Thunderhawk?) investigated the matter and was positive that a higher frequency auto-fire can be used to consistently get extra energy at the end of each laser battle.

We did find a 6C and 6D complete runs (well, some user shared them with us) where this trick was used consistently, and scores were quite high (365 M or so on 6D, which is nevertheless lower than the record of 390 M). Those videos seem lost, anyway, and I never had any idea on how the record holder could reach those much higher scores.

Hopefully you will keep posting improvements and awesome videos: having someone to play this game after 13 or so brings me back to youthood :wink:
T4N3

Post by T4N3 »

Thank you Rando, I will definitely keep playing and try to update my current score because I love this game to death, sadly this game doesn't get enough love, whether it be here in the west or in Japan, which is a shame really because it's a spectacular audio-visual experience, and personally my favourite shooter. Concerning the autofire trick, I will have to try it one of these days, but I'd like to not rely on it for now.

With proper timing and positioning I could probably get around 750 hits on Ranatus in 6D, which would be a huge increase in score if done in red border. I will try to investigate how to increase my gains on the points you mentioned, but for now I'm currently going back to G-Darius to get a decent amount of points on Lambda route, and then work the Embryon route.

Thanks again for the feedback, I will keep spreading the beam duel gospel and hopefully post a score update in a not too distant future.
Beam Duel is a religion.
Twatter|Soundclown
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Hello T4N3, I agree that BD is great, and seeing that it can get love after all these years is heart-warming, indeed!

I believe that the auto-fire trick requires a change of auto-fire frequency via hardware, so it may not be easy to handle. I never really figured out how to do it, otherwise.
For Ranatus: around 12:22 or so, in your video, you start canceling. I *believe* that you could try to slightly change the angle at which the pods shoot at you (perhaps a bit more bckwards), so that you can reach 750 hits quicker. I cannot access the game now, so you might be tempted to experiment on this aspect, at some later time.

And of course, I will be in anticipation for any of your updates :D
fran

Post by fran »

hello everyone , i hope this is the correct thread for all things border down

always liked the game but only finally managed to dedicate some time to the cause in the past couple days
gotta say,i am even more of a fan now : lovely game

i've been watching runs on nico,youtube,etc and i think i have a decent understanding of the game mechanics but there are still quite a few things i can't really figure out / i am not entirely sure about
i will post my questions soon but for now here's my scrubby score
i've been playing both the original version and the remixed one but since the remixed game seems to be so unpopular (?),let's give it some love

humm

fran - 39,538,440 - Y Y Y / G GY Y / G YR R
Randorama wrote:Alternatively: how powerful a PC should be, to emulate the game?
bella il mister

nulldc emulates the game decently enough and hardware requirements are super low ; pretty amazing
demul is slightly better in general for dc / naomi emulation but you need a pretty beefy pc (i5+decent gpu at least ?)
i haven't tested bd on demul but i don't see why it shouldn't run well
fran

Post by fran »

just a little improvement

fran - 68,807,300 - Y YR R / Y YR R / Y YR R / YR R

so,yeah,the level 3 boss is stealing my soul and the rank system is still not 100% clear to me

my initial plan was to 1cc this game without worrying too much about score,thought i'd simply jump between green and yellow borders
the problem is that on green and yellow borders you end up facing that insane second form of boss 3 so i decided to change route
wish me luck

edit : 56

edit 2 : level 4
andrew_F-91

Post by andrew_F-91 »

I literally just dealt with the exact same scenario (though your scores are much better). After realizing I had to go Y/R/R in order to get a stage 3 boss that I could at least imagine a scenario in which I not only beat but did so within the time limit. That finally happened this morning out of nowhere. Got him with just -1 left and scored the "normal" clear so I could border back up to yellow for the first time (granted this is only the second time I've beaten the stage 3 boss period but the other time was -15 and forced into red).

1. g/g/y/r
2. y/y/r
3.y/r/r
4.y-r-death
https://twitter.com/AndrewTorriente/sta ... 36/photo/1
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Can you please post your score in the desired format? It's not possible to interpret the stage progressions and the places where you've died with the information you provided.
name - score - stage route (e.g. G G G / GY Y Y / YR etc.)
I like chocolate milk