Subterranean Animism (Touhou 11; ZUN, 2008)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Updated, and welcome to the board.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
TheRealZero

Post by TheRealZero »

Thanks, moozooh. Good to be here.

And I see that you updated the WR for Normal and Lunatic. Atu broke 1 billion for Normal? Just wow. :shock:
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Yeah, "just wow" is a good way of putting it. Although I'd say that the current Lunatic records for both Reimu-A and Marisa-B are jawdropping as well, especially the former (wtf, 69k graze).
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
TheRealZero

Post by TheRealZero »

Yeah, it blows my mind how high those scores are. That's something that I'll never be able to do. I'm having trouble just 1ccing Hard mode as it is. I need moar practice. Also, I know that I don't graze enough in my games. Since high scores were never my goal, I never tried to graze needlessly.

Not to be picky, you updated the high scores in the code section, but you forgot to under the top scores section. Can you update it, please? Thanks.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Good point. All updated, now with a new Hard mode WR, too.
TheRealZero

Post by TheRealZero »

Thanks, moozooh.

Geez, another Hard mode WR? It just keeps going up and up. I'll be happy once I can just beat it, no matter what my score ends up being.

I've noticed that a lot of people use Reimu-A. Her abilities are pretty sweet. For some reason though, I'm continuing to practice with Reimu-B. And I just can't use Reimu-C effectively. I'm terrible with her. I can't keep re-aiming properly when I'm trying to dodge bullets. I do love her bomb though since it's the only offensive one that follows you around; perfect for rushing up the screen.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Reimu-B and Reimu-C are about the worst characters for scoring. Reimu-A allows farming tons of graze and killing bosses fast; Marisa-B can kill every single enemy before they escape, regardless of her position on the screen; Marisa-A has good damage output and lots of bombs with adjustable damage to toy with. Only these characters can score effectively, the rest can be good for survival, but that's it. That being said, if you want a universal character that can guarantee some degree of freedom, it's most definitely Marisa-A.
TheRealZero

Post by TheRealZero »

Reimu-A is definitely one of my favorite types to use. I like her options, she can wrap shots around the stage, and she can teleport to save my ass. And as you said, she can graze like crazy with her bomb.

Reimu-B is nice for me because I tend to run into situations where I can't move over fast enough to grab the falling items, so it's better to grab them at a low point value than no point value at all. Her shots can home a little which helps, and her bomb is okay.

Reimu-C I just plain suck with. She probably gives me the most trouble with beating the game.

Marisa-A I have some trouble with. I do like having a few more bombs to work with, but the duration of the bomb feels shorter, and I often bomb, try to rush up for a few seconds, then back off only to die to a stray bullet. While her wide shot is great for the regular enemies, it bothers me during the bosses. The main reason is that it's opposite of what I'm used to. While unfocused her bullets converge to a point, and focused her shot spreads. I mostly stay in focus fire, so it hurts me during a boss fight.

Marisa-B is cool since being able to change your shot type can handle a variety of situations. It can be a little tough to change types in a tight spot, though. I don't care for bomb that much.

Marisa-C is awesome for me because I'm used to playing for survival and not score. It can be a little tough since her shot is concentrated, but I simply love her bomb. I loved having the Spiritual Border in PCB, and it's nice to have a similar effect. I like her bomb the best because it gives me protection from death, it clears the screen of bullets when hit, it doesn't make me lose the spell card bonus if I don't get hit, and probably the best reason is that if the timer runs out I get back 0.50 power back. I think that was a great idea. It makes me not as hesitant to use a bomb if I'm in danger but have a chance to survive it.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

By lgb's request, I'm now splitting the boards to (hopefully) allow a broader competition scope. This is a test phase, so provide feedback or, better yet, new score submissions. The split occurs after I have more than 5 scores for either Reimu or Marisa on any given mode (which so far happened with Easy and Normal), and all the split boards will be limited to 10 entries per character, which should be enough.

Please note that now you can effectively have two scores per difficulty (one for Reimu and one for Marisa), so be sure to submit everything you got and clear those shameful early scores off the boards. :P
Observer

Post by Observer »

Game arrived two days ago with Darius Gaiden. Hell, yeah! Expect some scores submitted soon.

And, hey, I love my shameful scores obtained through panic bombing. =P
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Mega bump.

OH YEAH! Make me a space in the hall of fame I could finally 1cc SA in Normal! RaymooA I love your firepower.

If I see that kitty one more time... And jeez, the health bars are way too long. That's just not funny.

Anyway, I just realised I can't play Touhou with any music other than Touhou. I've tried with classical music to calm myself and crap. I ended up picking Magical Astronomy (lucky I bought the music CDs first) and beat Utsuho at the (ironic) rhythm of Necrofantasia. Damn if that isn't timing.

Normal:
Observer - 207,285,490 - ALL - ReimuA - 0.1% (Replay)

If anyone could share tips with Marisa to avoid getting owned so much by walls of unavoidable and colourful danmaku it'll be thanked.

Most of Orin' spells had me screaming "Bullshit!" half of the time. There is this spell where slow bullets start falling and rolling ghosts come down but the visuals absolutely cover them... You can only guess that the next wave will hit the last spot where you were standing a second ago but sometimes it appears to be random. Gosh, I hate that one.

Time to try Extra!
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Does the custom.exe work for most of you? If so, can someone send me their .cfg file with 16bit turned on? 32bit hates me for some reason.

This, obviously, assumes 32bit is default like usual.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Global fix! It seems to be a recurring problem. Just set a compatibility mode (any os should do) on the custom.exe and it shall open. I thank a kind nameless fairy, haunt of poolshmer.
TheRealZero

Post by TheRealZero »

It's been almost two months since I last got to play SA. I'm having some computer problems and school has been keeping me busy. But I'm trying to get back into it right now.

Since moozooh split the boards, I wanted to go for a Normal Marisa run:

Normal:
TheRealZero - 398,485,720 - ALL - Marisa-B - 0.0% (Replay)

I completely blew it at the end, though. At least one death against Orin was expected, but this time it was a stupid mistake on my part. I'm actually surprised that besides the early death, I didn't lose any more lives to Orin for once.

I screwed up so bad against Utsuho, though. Everything was going pretty good up until the 2nd to last spell card. Since I'm out of practice, I was too nervous at that point. I simply choked. Then, I died twice to her last card. I could have had 3 more extra lives and a much higher score if my fingers hadn't been shaking so damn much.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Board updated.

There are also a few recent world records that you guys may or may not know about. They're pretty fabulous, to say the least!

Easy 668M (Marisa-A) by LIDERA;
Normal 1.1B (Marisa-B) by Atu;
Normal 1B (Reimu-C) by AKST;
Lunatic 4B (Reimu-A) by AM — fucking 82.8k graze points;
Extra 1.1B (Reimu-A) by AM.

Have fun. :)
javel

Post by javel »

Easy:
Javel - 364,202,780 - ALL - Marisa B - 0,2%

Normal:
Javel - 452,750,010 - ALL - Marisa B - 1,3% - Replay

There's practically no grazing at all in these runs (theres some pathetic attempts at the 2nd & 3rd boss in the normal run, but I really don't know what I'm doing...) but I did manage to clear the game on normal w 7 or 8 lives left. Replay desyncs somewhere on stage 6.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Updated. I mirrored the file on a permanent replay uploader as well.
javel

Post by javel »

Normal:
Javel - 510,074,970 - ALL - Marisa B - 1,2% - Replay
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

Easy:
Heartbeam - 539,105,780 - ALL - Reimu A - 0.1% - Replay
Heartbeam - 546,036,460 - ALL - Marisa B - 0.1% - Replay

Normal:
Heartbeam - 785,194,190 - ALL - Reimu A - 0.1% - Replay
Heartbeam - 681,493,540 - ALL - Marisa B - 0.1% - Replay

Hard:
Heartbeam - 1,266,625,090 - ALL - Reimu A - 0.1% - Replay
lmagus

Re: Subterranean Animism (Touhou 11; ZUN, 2008)

Post by lmagus »

Easy:
lmagus - 177,687,460 - ALL - ReimuB - 0.0% (Replay)

Finally beat this game! And it was on my first try tonight too...
I don't really like EoSD, already beat IN... Maybe I'll try PCB next, but i think it's so much harder than MoF and SA...

I wanna move on to Normal already, but i get my head handed to me whenever i try...

edit: now that i think about it, i could have gotten a much better score if i hadn't died so many times on the last boss, specially that last death after she had already been defeated lol...
makes me feel bad :(
manatworks

Post by manatworks »

hi!,I just got my hand on the game so i think it's good for my second attempt to contribute a score here,hope that people still playing this game.

i haven't play touhou since IN, my skill getting really rusty when i start playing this, but i'm thinking of go for normal 1cc when i've got more time.

Easy:
A.H.W - 264,987,890 - ALL - Reimu A - 0,1%
replay : http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=4009

There's a few of stupid deaths in this replay, the one that is my epic fail is the hit i taken when i take that Nuclear girl down : (
I've to change my habit on ship types selection too since Zun dumped down "safe-and-easy" homing type in this game a lot ,after messing around with 6 type of ships, i've found that Reimu-A is my best choice for me in this game.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Touhou ships ftw.
manatworks

Post by manatworks »

moozooh wrote:Touhou ships ftw.
oh well,yeah yeah,that's my bad habit to call every player's sprite in every shumps as "ship" :oops:
SiestaCephei-

Post by SiestaCephei- »

I'm new into Shmups. I have been playing for barely a year now.

Normal:
SiestaCephei - 626,762,800 - ALL - ReimuA - 0.0% - Replay

Good luck.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

That's… a great result for a year's practice. :o
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

About a year late to the party.

Normal:
moozooh — 422,693,800 — ALL — Marisa-A — 0.0% (replay).

Guess I'll shoot for my original goal, 450 million. Could've gotten it here already, but the last spell… ugh…

Extra:
moozooh — 258,452,450 — X — Marisa-A — 0.1% (replay).

I believe I see why nobody is playing Extra in this game: it takes a lot of effort to just stay alive. :o
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Finally.

Normal - ReimuA
Momijitsuki - 271,558,570 - ALL - 0.050% - Replay
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Easy - ReimuA
Momijitsuki - 412,222,470 - ALL - 0.2%
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Nice job.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

I was excited until I noticed that it re-locked Extra Stage on me. I worked so hard to unlock that, damn it! :|

I might as well post my Extra Stage progress though, just to get it up there:

Extra - ReimuA
Momijitsuki - 222,605,110 - X - 0.1%

Koishi's not as easy as she looks. :?