Subterranean Animism (Touhou 11; ZUN, 2008)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Observer

Post by Observer »

Well, SA just did it for me and I'm preordering it. Really good Touhou game since Imperishable Night.

I redid a run with RaymooA and, sadly, I died three times so that hindered my final score (which I guess would'be been around the 400 million or so) but... man, this is pretty fun even on easy!

Now, gotta continue my attempts of 1ccing DoDonPachi...

Oh, yeah:

Observer — 353,806,080 — ALL — Reimu-A — 0.2%

Replay

I managed to capture the last spell as well. The nuclear-fusion girl is surely a nice final boss and the whole 'graze like mad' is really making me want to play Psyvariar 2 more.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Gah, had such a nice Normal mode session going, outperformed Shion by some 14 mil by the start of stage 4 already (68k pv, 4k graze) but got completely humiliated by Satori and the entire stage 5. :\
It looked about exactly like this.

Anyway, there's a new Lunatic record for those of you interested. Has nice strategies for stage 4 in particular.

[EDIT]

Normal:
moozooh — 206,526,330 — 6 — Reimu-B — 0.4% (replay).

Meh. The run's pretty bad (well, actually, very bad), but it could've been enough for the first place. Still a far cry from the failed Marisa-B attempt I was talking about earlier.

Also, Observer, try to avoid uploading anything to Rapidshare or other temp storage. It can be a pain getting something from there, not to mention that it quickly expires.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

For some reason when I did a score run with ReimuA I got less points than my first ever clear with MarisaC...

Also, it seems there's a slight bug with Extra.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4369650
Shion

Post by Shion »

moozooh:

Do stage 5 in practice over and over until you can perfect it. Then try a regular normal game. Although I still died a lot in the stage when it came down to it, I had mastered the boss pretty well. I'll give this game some time in a few days, so you better put up a nice score for me to beat! :)

Taylor:

It's not very surprising, as Marisa can graze a lot easier. You have to hug the bullets closer as Reimu to get the same effect.
And using that bug on Sanae is pretty stupid, scoring wise. There's even a safe spot in her last pattern I believe, which can lead to a LOT of graze points.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Shion wrote:Do stage 5 in practice over and over until you can perfect it. Then try a regular normal game. Although I still died a lot in the stage when it came down to it, I had mastered the boss pretty well. I'll give this game some time in a few days, so you better put up a nice score for me to beat! :)
Working on it, man. Stupid deaths are still my archnemesis, it seems… Look here, for instance. It's a perfect stage 1, followed by a virtually flawless stage 2 and a decent stage 3 up until the point where I die on one of the easiest cards. Then, to add insult to the injury, the game crashes at stage 6 midboss when I have almost 10k graze, so I can't even save the replay. >_<

As for stage 5 Normal, I've managed to make a decent route through it. My best attempt in practice mode so far has been 69 mil (with one death, in a place where I usually never die). I will make at least ~450M all-clear when I have a clean enough playthrough. My Easy goal is 500M, btw.
Shion wrote:It's not very surprising, as Marisa can graze a lot easier. You have to hug the bullets closer as Reimu to get the same effect.
Can you confirm this in some way?
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Observer

Post by Observer »

moozooh wrote:
Shion wrote:Do stage 5 in practice over and over until you can perfect it. Then try a regular normal game. Although I still died a lot in the stage when it came down to it, I had mastered the boss pretty well. I'll give this game some time in a few days, so you better put up a nice score for me to beat! :)
Working on it, man. Stupid deaths are still my archnemesis, it seems… Look here, for instance. It's a perfect stage 1, followed by a virtually flawless stage 2 and a decent stage 3 up until the point where I die on one of the easiest cards. Then, to add insult to the injury, the game crashes at stage 6 midboss when I have almost 10k graze, so I can't even save the replay. >_<

As for stage 5 Normal, I've managed to make a decent route through it. My best attempt in practice mode so far has been 69 mil (with one death, in a place where I usually never die). I will make at least ~450M all-clear when I have a clean enough playthrough. My Easy goal is 500M, btw.
Shion wrote:It's not very surprising, as Marisa can graze a lot easier. You have to hug the bullets closer as Reimu to get the same effect.
Pay close attention to Marisa's hitbox. It's always bigger than Raymoo's. (There is a thin red outline around the hitbox, which increases the grazing area, Sakuya in PCB had an even bigger hitbox for increased grazing)

This has been a constant since PCB.

Ironically, the fact that I tend to forget this detail is what gets me dozens of stupid deaths because you can do some really "impossible" bullet escapes with Reimu that will otherwise get you killed with Marisa and make you swear a lot at the hitbox.

I'm preordering the game. Stage 5/6 left me enchanted after seeing how damn in-synchrony is everything. Stage 5 is by far one of the coolest and longest tunes I heard from ZUN and the end of the song is the cherry of the cake.

Working on another Easy run without so many misses.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Observer wrote:
moozooh wrote:

Pay close attention to Marisa's hitbox. It's always bigger than Raymoo's. (There is a thin red outline around the hitbox, which increases the grazing area, Sakuya in PCB had an even bigger hitbox for increased grazing)

Ironically, the fact that I tend to forget this detail is what gets me dozens of stupid deaths because you can do some really "impossible" bullet escapes with Reimu that will otherwise get you killed with Marisa and make you swear a lot at the hitbox.

I'm preordering the game. Stage 5/6 left me enchanted after seeing how damn in-synchrony is everything. Stage 5 is by far one of the coolest and longest tunes I heard from ZUN and the end of the song is the cherry of the cake.

Working on another Easy run without so many misses.
I'm going to preorder it as well. Perfect Cherry Blossom, despite being my all-time favorite, can wait.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Observer wrote:Pay close attention to Marisa's hitbox. It's always bigger than Raymoo's. (There is a thin red outline around the hitbox, which increases the grazing area, Sakuya in PCB had an even bigger hitbox for increased grazing)

Well, if talking about PCB, I can definitely see the outline, but it doesn't look much bigger, if any.

Image Image Image

I don't expect that to be a realistic portrayal of Sakuya's advantage in grazing distance, which should theoretically be around 4 pixels in diameter.

In any case, Reimu's hitbox is actually only one pixel smaller in diameter compared to Marisa, which is the reason both can actually fit between the bullets as shown in this short demo, except Reimu has a slightly higher success chance. In fact, it might be that hitbox boundary is defined in subpixels for better precision, in which case it's impossible to tell its actual size without checking the RAM address value. I might just do that, though, it's not really hard or anything.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Ah, I’ve caused a ruckus. I have the replays for both runs and I think Marisa’s graze is the same; I’m embarrassed to say it seems the score disparity simply comes from me cocking up more on the 'score' run and losing more than I gained.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

A little off-topic, as I have made no progress since my first 1CC--

I saw an Extra Stage replay, and I have to say it's my favorite one so far. Koishi is my new favorite Extra boss, as a future Psychology major myself. (Read up on TouhouWiki if you don't understand what I mean-- and her spell cards have a lot of references to Freud, Rorschach, etc.). That aside, Satori is my new favorite overall character though. :o

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether I should go for a better Easy score or a Normal 1CC. What do you guys think I should go for?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Doesn't matter. The experience you gain by succeeding in one choice will help you with the other. I do note that higher score is the purpose of posting here, though. :P
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Well, this was funny. An hour ago, after another half-hundred of restarts at stage 1, I decided: "alright, no more scoring, just make a very clean run without any risky tricks". Marisa-A was the choice just because she relieves the bother of aiming. Decided it would be a pure survival run. Haha.

First I died on Parsee's last spellcard. That set the tone for the run up until Satori, where I captured all spellcards despite encountering them for the first time. Then a clean no-miss stage 5. Died twice on Orin's third regular (just wow) but captured all spellcards with ease. Stage 6 offers the most stupid deaths to be seen, particularly the magnificent "go up during the second spellcard to collect the extend" and subsequent "try bombing at 0 power" which ultimately secured my demise.

moozooh — 240,598,840 — 6 — Marisa-A — 0.2% (replay).

But what's most funny of all, this failure of a run takes 1st place on the board (otherwise I wouldn't even bother with it). ;_;
Zhiver

Post by Zhiver »

Yess, new score:

Easy:

Zhiver - 363,988,190 - ALL - Reimu-A - 0.3%
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

Well I wasn't going to post this, but since I'm going on holiday I'll just drop it in as a placeholder.

Normal:
Ravid — 332,772,550 — ALL — Marisa-A — 0.0% (replay)
Shion

Post by Shion »

moozooh wrote: But what's most funny of all, this failure of a run takes 1st place on the board (otherwise I wouldn't even bother with it). ;_;
I wasn't trying to score well on my Normal run either ;P

Been trying to get better scores myself, but even stage 1 is almost impossible to perfect with Reimu A or B. Destroying all the random comets, angels, and still getting a decent graze is a game of luck, since the spawn locations seem completely random. This makes it incredibly frustrating to try and set a good base for the later stages. I think only once I managed to get a perfect 41k point value and ~500 graze before the boss (on easy).
Marisa A/B doesn't have this problem, because she has a spread shot to take care of the random comets. Sadly, I can't handle her HUGE hitbox and speed :(
Anyway, nice scores guys :)
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

Shion wrote:
moozooh wrote: But what's most funny of all, this failure of a run takes 1st place on the board (otherwise I wouldn't even bother with it). ;_;
I wasn't trying to score well on my Normal run either ;P

Been trying to get better scores myself, but even stage 1 is almost impossible to perfect with Reimu A or B. Destroying all the random comets, angels, and still getting a decent graze is a game of luck, since the spawn locations seem completely random. This makes it incredibly frustrating to try and set a good base for the later stages. I think only once I managed to get a perfect 41k point value and ~500 graze before the boss (on easy).
Marisa A/B doesn't have this problem, because she has a spread shot to take care of the random comets. Sadly, I can't handle her HUGE hitbox and speed :(
Anyway, nice scores guys :)
I wouldn't worry too much about perfecting stage 1. Getting the extra point item value doesn't matter that much when you're maxing out on stage 4 anyways, and the difference between a good and perfect run in terms of graze is about 100 (excluding boss obviously) which is worth about 650k over the whole game. Also, you can't get a perfect run with Marisa A really either; it's just Marisa B as far as I can tell.
What Marisa A can do that no one else can is get 3000 graze on stage 2 boss (ijji modo) :shock:
Shion

Post by Shion »

Terrible Normal run, but I have to reclaim the #1 spot here :D

Shion - 374,894,030 - ALL - Reimu A - 1.1%
Replay

It wouldn't have been half such a bad run if I didn't die in stage 2 on a popcorn enemy ;_;
Decided to finish it anyway for good practice.
Other things that didn't go well were the graze chains at the start of stage 4 and 5. Getting point items at minimum value sucks.
For some reason, on Orin all the patterns I normally fail on went very well, and all the ones I was confident about... Well, let's not talk about that.
Anyway, still a decent score thanks to the 15k graze I guess.

Edit:
Also a new Easy score to add to the table:

Shion - 494,885,060 - ALL - Reimu A - 1.2%
Replay

Yup, only a few points better than Ravid, even though I had much more graze. It's probably impossible to surpass the 500 mil with Reimu, since there's a few enemy groups she cannot kill (blue lazer ones in stage 4, for example). Thus missing a lot of valuable items. The suicide bullet enemies in stage 5 are also though to kill (and survive) without spread.

Now it's time to stop being a pussy and clear some Hard/Lunatic!
Last edited by Shion on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shion

Post by Shion »

Ravid wrote: I wouldn't worry too much about perfecting stage 1. Getting the extra point item value doesn't matter that much when you're maxing out on stage 4 anyways, and the difference between a good and perfect run in terms of graze is about 100 (excluding boss obviously) which is worth about 650k over the whole game. Also, you can't get a perfect run with Marisa A really either; it's just Marisa B as far as I can tell.
What Marisa A can do that no one else can is get 3000 graze on stage 2 boss (ijji modo) :shock:
The earlier you max out point value, the better. And usually I just die trying to destroy all comets. I just can't ignore them :(
I still prefer Reimu, for reasons mentioned. The screen-wrap ability Reimu A has comes in handy too in several situations. You just need to remember the option to ;)
Momijitsuki

You've got to be kidding me.

Post by Momijitsuki »

I practically double my old score and I still only move up one place. I would have done much better if I hadn't died so much against Rin.

Easy:
Momijitsuki - 317,341,780 - ALL - MarisaA - 0.1%

EDIT: Also, how DO you get 3000 grazes against Parsee with MarisaA? Also, I'm having trouble with Utsuho's second spell card. What's the trick to not dying on that one?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Lol, I'd love to be playing this, but the tourney is going to be taking up all my video graham time
moozooh

Re: You've got to be kidding me.

Post by moozooh »

Haha, that's some ninja shit you've pulled with Ravid there, Shion, nice job! I've updated the boards.
Momijitsuki wrote:Also, how DO you get 3000 grazes against Parsee with MarisaA?
During her regular attacks, of course. When she's ready to shoot, stand to the side, press bomb and move right onto the center of her sprite. If you did everything right, most (or all) bullets will spawn in your graze area, bringing you about half a thousand points with each volley. Reimu-A is better for that particular purpose, but she doesn't have as many bombs as Marisa-A does.
Momijitsuki wrote:Also, I'm having trouble with Utsuho's second spell card. What's the trick to not dying on that one?
Bawmb!
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Holy shit, finally a 2 billion Lunatic ALL!

With Marisa-B, no less. :D
Shion

Re: You've got to be kidding me.

Post by Shion »

Momijitsuki wrote: EDIT: Also, how DO you get 3000 grazes against Parsee with MarisaA? Also, I'm having trouble with Utsuho's second spell card. What's the trick to not dying on that one?
Try to find the gaps between the huge bullets that slowly become smaller. Predict where you can pass through them by looking ahead. Just don't let the initial size of them confuse you. Also pay attention to the smaller blue bullets, which tend to get you if you focus on the red ones too much.
moozooh wrote:Holy shit, finally a 2 billion Lunatic ALL!

With Marisa-B, no less. :D
Impressive, good show. Sacrificing all his extra lives to get that 21k+ Graze at the end of stage 2? Wow, what a hero.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

You're all cowards, I'm posting a Hard run.

Hard :
Danbo Daxter - 349,042,530 - All - MarisaA - 0.1% - Link

Also someone tell me if MarisaA is good or not because I can't tell.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Danbo Daxter wrote:You're all cowards, I'm posting a Hard run.

Hard :
Danbo Daxter - 349,042,530 - All - MarisaA - 0.1% - Link

Also someone tell me if MarisaA is good or not because I can't tell.
Wow, nice job.

And yes, MarisaA is good. I prefer her to the rest of the character setups.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Nice job Daxter, but I'm positive you can do better. :P Look, I just did a random try with with Reimu-B, a much worse scoring character, and maintained a scoring advantage up until the part where I gameover'd!

moozooh — 273,291,240 — 6 — Reimu-B — 1.9% (replay).

Anyway, score table updated (we need more Hard, Lunatic, and Extra runs, people! Make sure to remedy this once STGT is over). There are new Lunatic and Extra WRs too, as you might notice; the Extra one is a slight update (nothing considerably different, just more milking), the other is tremendous improvement, trampling the previous record into the ground. The person who uploaded it decided not to give away their name (I hope the reason for this is that they're working on a better score as we speak, to be submitted on the official scoreboard rather than the uploader), but put that aside and enjoy this beautiful 3.19 BILLION (!) Lunatic 1CC with Reimu-A. :)
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

You're gonna distract me from Dangun Feveron... here's a slightly better run.

Hard :
Danbo Daxter - 430,095,690 - All - MarisaA - 0.2% - Link

I guess I have the first 4 stages down pat. Orin's spellcards are incredibly annoying if you don't have much power, I don't think I managed to capture a single one. Subterranean Sun is pretty easy for being the last card in the game. So, that's the highest scoring Hard replay on gensokyo.org, but I'm still not particularly happy with this run.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

A couple new world records arrived down the pipe:
1.06B Extra by taro (Reimu-A), 611M Easy by LIDERA (Marisa-A!).

Both get over 20k graze points.

[EDIT]
A good Normal run as well now: 816M by y (Marisa-A, and it's the first run I have seen that maxes out the point value by the end of the game).

It's now been confirmed that you get a silent bonus of 1000 * point value as well as the clear bonus announced on the screen. This is important at least on Easy and Normal. Don't die even once, don't bother with graze milking, and you'll still manage at least 500M easily.
Zhiver

Post by Zhiver »

Normal:
Zhiver - 201,649,650 - ALL - ReimuA - 0.1%

My first normal 1cc! finally, after months of practice
TheRealZero

Post by TheRealZero »

Hi, everyone. New guy here. Been following this topic for a while now.

Normally, my main goal when playing any Touhou game is to just 1cc clear it on the toughest difficulty that I can, usually Normal or Hard mode. Forget Lunatic mode. I'll never be able to do that. :shock:

This is the first time that I've actually attempted to get a high score to post somewhere. Usually, I know that I don't stand a chance when I look at other people's high scores. For some reason, I found that I had at least a decent chance with SA. I'll probably just get trampled quickly, though. :P

Anyways, here it is:

Normal:
TheRealZero - 409,785, 310 - ALL - Reimu-B - 0.1% (Replay)

My replay desyncs at Utsuho, though. But it seems to be a common problem with other people as well. Hopefully it'll work for at least some of you.