Progear no Arashi HS Thread! (US/JPN) UPD Aug2021

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
STG

Re: Progear no Arashi HS Thread! (US/JPN) UPD DEC 2016

Post by STG »

ArrogantBastard wrote:If you beat my score, it'll have taken someone over 7 years to finally beat me. Crazy.

I have no plans of ever picking up the game and going for a higher score again. I've been pretty much retired from shmups for over 7 years since I set the high score in Progear.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks man!

Indeed, you set the benchmark quite high AB, 221 mil is a phenomenal number! :) Judging by your score/end bonus I'm sure you score much higher than me in the first loop, which is something I should start investing more time into myself. Just a higher gem/ring count going into the second loop alone would boost up my numbers instantly.

Would have always liked to see some of your runs/strats you used when you played... And wow, I didn't realize it's been that long.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

STG wrote:Thanks man!

Indeed, you set the benchmark quite high AB, 221 mil is a phenomenal number! :) Judging by your score/end bonus I'm sure you score much higher than me in the first loop, which is something I should start investing more time into myself. Just a higher gem/ring count going into the second loop alone would boost up my numbers instantly.

Would have always liked to see some of your runs/strats you used when you played... And wow, I didn't realize it's been that long.
I don't remember what my score was at the end of the first loop, but I do wish I had recordings of my run if I had the hardware to hook up to my buddy's supergun and PCB. (He no longer has them and sold off all of his collection)

As for my strats, I pretty much followed closely with Futobishi's run in his grainy as fuck video that was on Ikaruga.co.uk's hidden public directory before it showed up on super-play.co.uk. I didn't have any other strats other than what I copied from that video. That, and I had way too much free time from being jobless and going through bad times with relationship and life crap. That's what pretty much drove me to insanity with Progear.

Edit: Can't wait to see you beat my score. I think I might feel a little sad seeing my long-standing #1 score get beaten.

Edit #2: I do remember losing a couple of chains in the first loop that cost me a lot of points, but I pretty much NMNB up until 2-5 with dropped chains from 2-1 between 2-5. Can't really remember 100% because, as I've said, it's been years since I touched it.
STG

Post by STG »

Yeah, capture technology today is just so much easier and more widely available than what it was back then. Being able to watch myself play certainly helped in learning the game, especially since like you I'm only playing on PCB.

I kind of figured Futobishi's run is the one you most likely studied, as I didn't see Clover-TAC's replay online until semi-recently. Still, you had to adapt your play style using Chain which is impressive, along with a NMNB that far into the game. You definitely had to finish the first loop with a higher score than me, for example I usually finish the first loop with about 230,000 rings, Futobishi in his run has about 50,000 more than me. My guess is you were probably a bit closer to his totals than mine.

Glad to hear you got through that rough period of your life AB, cause yeah that sucks. And you never know if you ever get that itch to play again, hell I stopped playing games completely at one point myself and just explored other hobbies/interests for a number of years. Between all that and especially work (which I truly enjoy), sometimes I wish I simply had more time! :)
ArrogantBastard

STG wrote:Yeah, capture technology today is just so much easier and more widely available than what it was back then. Being able to watch myself play certainly helped in learning the game, especially since like you I'm only playing on PCB.
I agree about capture technology being easier and more accessible than it was 7-10 years ago. I recall one guy (somewhere in this thread) from here accusing me of cheating for not wanting to switch back to playing MAME emulator and making an .inp replay because I had no other other way to show off the gameplay. It was disheartening being accused of that, but then I remembered that I didn't pick up & play the game just to appease everyone, because I picked up the game to challenge myself.

Way back in 2004, when I started playing Progear, I pretty much played it exclusively in MAME with a shitty PS2 controller (don't ask me why), I didn't know too much about input lag and replay recording function (I don't think the regular MAME had this option) so I played it for fun and really liked the art style / design a lot. When I saw the Futobishi video, something inside me just pretty much went "I can play better than how I play the game!" and I went off into the deep end of the pool with the game. A guy I knew (who would later become one of my good friends) noticed that I was pretty into arcade games, and told me about his small & growing collection and that he had a JP Progear board. So of course I took the chance in asking him to borrow the supergun, his monitor, and the board so I could play it for hours. The lack of input lag made playing the game so much better.

I had a difficult time switching from the PS2 controller to a joystick, and it took me a really long time to get accustomed to it. I nearly gave up trying to use the joystick or quit the game altogether because I kept crashing into stuff and thinking I'd never get good at it, lol. It was infuriating. I also had to rely a lot on memorization and credit feeding doing full runs rather than doing savestate practices (it kept messing up my memorization for other stages because I would repeat one stage for hours), but could never put together a solid run until I decided to break the bad habits and switched over to PCB. Then several years later, 221m happened.
I kind of figured Futobishi's run is the one you most likely studied, as I didn't see Clover-TAC's replay online until semi-recently. Still, you had to adapt your play style using Chain which is impressive, along with a NMNB that far into the game. You definitely had to finish the first loop with a higher score than me, for example I usually finish the first loop with about 230,000 rings, Futobishi in his run has about 50,000 more than me. My guess is you were probably a bit closer to his totals than mine.
It's hard to say how close Futobishi's and my score were, but like I said, I dropped some chains that cost me a lot of points from what I can kind of remember. Futobishi's run was the only video that had higher score that I studied extensively compared to the other video (160m run) by an unknown player that was floating around on the Hameko site before it went under. (Hameko was an old video / download site that featured a lot of hard to find superplays and stuff like that, before NicoNico showed up a few years later.)

I'm not even sure why I picked Chain, to be honest. I guess I got comfortable using Chain over Nail, and was able to compensate for Chain's slow speed. I wish I could remember why I stuck with Chain, haha.
Glad to hear you got through that rough period of your life AB, cause yeah that sucks. And you never know if you ever get that itch to play again, hell I stopped playing games completely at one point myself and just explored other hobbies/interests for a number of years. Between all that and especially work (which I truly enjoy), sometimes I wish I simply had more time! :)
Thanks! Yeah, I wish I had more time to do more things, too. Lol
STG

Post by STG »

Fascinating reading your experience with the game AB, and you certainly have a good friend to lend you his board and supergun! But man, playing this with a PS2 controller... My hands hurt just thinking about it.

But my method of practicing is the same as you, full run play and credit feeding. I've ran up the retry count to 99 so many times (and still continuing even after I hit that) just to work on practicing stages in the second loop. And yet, I'm still having a ton of fun with the game, especially seeing how far I can go with it. :D
ArrogantBastard wrote:It's hard to say how close Futobishi's and my score were, but like I said, I dropped some chains that cost me a lot of points from what I can kind of remember. Futobishi's run was the only video that had higher score that I studied extensively compared to the other video (160m run) by an unknown player that was floating around on the Hameko site before it went under. (Hameko was an old video / download site that featured a lot of hard to find superplays and stuff like that, before NicoNico showed up a few years later.)

I'm not even sure why I picked Chain, to be honest. I guess I got comfortable using Chain over Nail, and was able to compensate for Chain's slow speed. I wish I could remember why I stuck with Chain, haha.
Wow I never even heard of Hameko, interesting learning about some of the sites that were around when I took my gaming hiatus! Would be kind of neat to see that other run, just for curiosities sake! Still, the one thing about watching superplay's with this game doesn't really prepare you for all the RNG the bosses have, that, and having to ad lib play with all the return bullets.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

JP version
CloudyMusic - 15,080,660 - 1-ALL - Bolt/Nail

I've only been playing for a few days, but I'm already in love with this game.

Evidently stage 4 is my weak spot by far. Stage 5 didn't go fantastically either, but it could have been worse. I'll smooth out my routes for stages 4 and 5 for a while longer and then see if I can get into the loop!
STG

Post by STG »

Great job getting the 1-ALL Cloudy! 8)
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Thanks STG! Your streams played a big part in making me want to try this game out. I'm having a really good time!
STG

Post by STG »

Keres wrote:I'm having a really good time!
The most important part! :D Glad you dug the streams, and let me know if you have any Q's about certain sections, always happy to share any info/strats/help on the game!
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Still in hospital recovering brain surgery I'll update when I can get on a PC down the road. Sorry for delay
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Oh man, I hope you're all right! :shock:

Take all the time you need, obviously.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Can I get some assistance for the next little bit? If someone can PM me the code all formatted, I can work with that and get it posted.

THank you!
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Sure thing, I've PM'ed the updated Japanese table to you. :)

Here's an updated score while I'm at it! First time in the loop; now I need to practice it!

JP Version
CloudyMusic - 19,211,310 - 2-2 - Bolt/Nail

Stream highlight
STG

Post by STG »

Battlesmurf wrote:Still in hospital recovering brain surgery I'll update when I can get on a PC down the road. Sorry for delay
Oh man, just saw this, really hope you're feeling better Battlesmurf! No worries man, if you need help with the tables in the future please feel free to let me know as I would be happy to help, otherwise take your time and have a safe recovery! :)
Sumez

Re: Progear no Arashi HS Thread! (US/JPN) UPD FEB2017

Post by Sumez »

Made sure to follow STG - So good to see people are playing Progear on Twitch!

I haven't messed with this game since I got it 7 years ago. I love the game, but always considered it too tough to me. There's something about the fast horizontal danmaku patterns that makes it really difficult for me to grasp the routes through them, even when they are not particularly dense. Seeing people regularly getting 2-ALL clears is baffling to me, as I never was able to even get the 1-ALL back when I originally picked it up. And NMNB'ing the game up until 2-5? Yeah, well...
Will try to catch you live and be sure pick up some tricks :mrgreen:
STG

Post by STG »

Sumez wrote:Made sure to follow STG - So good to see people are playing Progear on Twitch!

I haven't messed with this game since I got it 7 years ago. I love the game, but always considered it too tough to me. There's something about the fast horizontal danmaku patterns that makes it really difficult for me to grasp the routes through them, even when they are not particularly dense. Seeing people regularly getting 2-ALL clears is baffling to me, as I never was able to even get the 1-ALL back when I originally picked it up. And NMNB'ing the game up until 2-5? Yeah, well...
Will try to catch you live and be sure pick up some tricks :mrgreen:
Thanks Sumez! Yeah there's been a few of us streaming this one on twitch recently besides myself: CloudyMusic, Extruderx (who just got a 1-ALL, watched his replay last night) and Solunas.

And absolutely, I'm planning on streaming Progear tonight as long as everything goes well after work today, so feel free to stop on by! :D
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

WIP 12 years ago.
There is an Asia Version of Progear.

Is MAME allowed?
In-Game bootup:

Color-Country-Difficulty

Red-US-2
White-JP-4
Yellow-Asia-8
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
ArrogantBastard

Use Japan ROM if you're going to post scores for Japan table, otherwise use USA ROM.

Changing the difficulty setting in boot menu will not make the game play exactly the same as JP or USA ROMs.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

ArrogantBastard wrote:Use Japan ROM if you're going to post scores for Japan table, otherwise use USA ROM.

Changing the difficulty setting in boot menu will not make the game play exactly the same as JP or USA ROMs.
Understood. Bettered set to default settings on boot menu.
If I am going to post a score in this topic, I might play it on Difficulty 2 if US,4 if JP.
Thanks.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

US - Stevens - 15,606,100 - Bolt - Nail - 1 ALL

My lord, I have come for you.
Battlesmurf

Re: Progear no Arashi HS Thread! (US/JPN) UPD Nov 2017

Post by Battlesmurf »

STG wrote:
Battlesmurf wrote:Still in hospital recovering brain surgery I'll update when I can get on a PC down the road. Sorry for delay
Oh man, just saw this, really hope you're feeling better Battlesmurf! No worries man, if you need help with the tables in the future please feel free to let me know as I would be happy to help, otherwise take your time and have a safe recovery! :)
Sorry about the delayed response!

Yeah, brain tumor. Was a pretty crappy surgery. Working on getting better. Sorry I left this board for so long. Wasn't the easiest to stay focused.

What's STG's twitch channel?

Arrogant Bastard is correct- use the JPN or USA rom.

Thread update in progress
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Battlesmurf wrote:What's STG's twitch channel?
http://www.twitch.tv/gunnerstg/
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Battlesmurf wrote:Snip
Jeez. I also missed that post. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
My lord, I have come for you.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Re: Progear no Arashi HS Thread! (US/JPN) UPD Nov2017

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

US - Palazzo - 13,075,850 - Bolt / Nail - 1-5

Got my first clear in the game right after, but that run had a lower score.
sky-13

Re: Progear no Arashi HS Thread! (US/JPN) UPD Nov2017

Post by sky-13 »

Japanese Version/PCB
sky-13 - 15,388,200 - 1-5 - Ring - Nail

Finally achieved my 1CC in Progear a few months ago! I was basically shaking while I was brining down Volvox.
WARNING: no refuge
Battlesmurf

Re: Progear no Arashi HS Thread! (US/JPN) UPD Jan2018

Post by Battlesmurf »

Updated. Board is a little bit of a mess. I'll figure out a better way to do formatting and such shortly.

Thanks for the pm. Keep up the good work fellas!
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
CanadianJoke

Post by CanadianJoke »

67,377,820 - Ring/Nail 2-4

This was on a JP board.

wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

US Version
winteR - 45,110,650 - 2-4 - Ring/Rivet

--- 1 death on 1-4
--- entered loop with x5 (i.e. 6 lives including current one)
--- 3 lives lost on 2-3 (stage portion)
--- remaining 3 lives lost on 2-4 beginning
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

US Version
winteR - 52,209,220 - 2-4 - Ring/Rivet

--- 1 death on 2-2 boss
--- 1 death on 2-3 boss
--- 7 lives lost on 2-4 stage
--- last life lost on 2-4 boss

My current goal is just to get to 2-5 (rather than score). But posting this as a consolation of sort since this is about 7 or 8 times the similar pattern occurs (one of the two below).
---- I manage to reach 2-4 stage with many lives and lost most or all of them on stage
---- I reach 2-4 with 4 or 5 lives and manage to clear in first few attempts (but don't have enough lives for the boss). At least one time I lost the last life fraction of a second before the 2-4 boss would have been defeated.

I will continue playing till I get to 2-5.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

US Version
winteR - 51,166,860 - 2-5 - Ring/Rivet

--- 1 death on 1-5 stage
--- 1 death on 2-2 stage
--- 1 death on 2-3 boss
--- 2 deaths on 2-4 stage
--- 1 death on 2-4 boss
--- remaining 3 lives lost on 2-5 stage early