Gradius V

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Edge

Post by Edge »

Say Tviks,
When I was looking at the official Highscore Rankings, I was always wondering how many hours your "Edit" Record took. Did you make pauses? Did you sleep, or did you play that 16 loops at once?

Besides I don't like games wich loop unlimited times. There should be 2 Loops, the regular one and the hardcore. But when you finish the second one it should be Game Over. A Shmup is no marathon, in my opinion. For some player who really can play through the whole game without problems, it's just an endurance game.
Would you agree?

Minzoku, why don't you also add a Overall Highscore. But I think it would be better if you only take the highest record of one Player. For Tviks, it would only be the 16 loop edit mode record.
tviks

Post by tviks »

I didn't count the hours, but it has been said that one loop takes over an hour. Why do you think that I would be playing 20+ hours continuosly without pauses anyway? As far as I know, I'm a real human that eats, sleeps, goes to toilet and school. I can't quite remember but I think I did the whole run in about 4 days (thank god there wasn't a blackout). Oh well, now that I think about it, I guess it wouldn't be that extreme to play 24h nonstop, but with this kind of game you have to stay sharp to survive. Besides I guess those kind of people are mostly korean or something. :D

Some shmups don't have loops, some have 2, but Gradius has infinitely, so I guess you could consider Gradius a "marathon" game. Endurance shmupping is just one form of shmupping, just like in the sport events. Afterall, when you are playing in the arcade with coins, wouldn't you want to be able to play as long as you like, rather than being forced to stop, even if your skills would allow you to continue?
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I guess I could do that... after I wade through my taxes, though :(
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

BUHA - 1,598,970 - 1-6

Type 4
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

snap monkey - 1, 441, 380 - 1-6 - Type 4

Stage 6 feels like a marathon...
ben.shinobi

Post by ben.shinobi »

ben.shinobi - 8,733,300 - 5-1 - weapon edit (type 2)

http://benjamin.bouloch.free.fr/ben-shinobi/pass.JPG
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

snap monkey - 1, 835, 860 - 1-7 - Type 4

I wouldn't have posted again so soon, but improving my score approx. 400k in one sitting is a new one for me. :shock:

My neck still hurts from the wiplash of transitioning from stage 6 to 7. So fast!
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

It's okay, it gives me something to do... you know, since I'm not exactly improving on my OWN score lately... :(

*gears up the Vic following a hearty pancake dinner*
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

Galaxius - 3,677,360 - 2-5 - Edit

Bitch-slapped my old score by 700k. But I didn't move up on the list!
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

snap monkey - 2,033,060 - 1-7 - Type 4

Damn you stage 7!!! The boss at 7-3 is the bane of my existence. This run I only lost one life to him, but I get so nervous when I face him that I usually do something stupid or just freeze. I've been practicing him a lot, but it's gonna be a while until I can consistently survive those bouncy lazers. Oh well, I opened up through 7-6, so I can freely practice those parts now...
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

Galaxius - 4,260,530 - 2-7 - Edit

Just like the Jeffersons, I'm movin' on up!

Have to say thanks to Ben Shinobi, who put up a nice score earlier in this thread. His GV videos gave me some nice new strategies to mess with. Thanks a lot man!

Snap Monkey said-

*Damn you stage 7!!! The boss at 7-3 is the bane of my existence.*

Beacon used to scare me too. I thought the thing was the anti-christ for awhile. A good strategy for it, is to get up point-blank in its face. This way, you usually only have to dodge each laser once, as opposed to flying around in the middle of the screen, being bombarded by lasers left and right.

EDIT- Added new high score
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Sly Cherry Chunks - 1,098,380 - 1-5 - Type 2

Might as while take that no.20 spot.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

1,610,910 - 1-6 - Type 4
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

516,000 Stage 1-4 Type 1 Very Easy

"You need more practice."

STFU! <hurls controller>
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

obxStorm wrote:516,000 Stage 1-4 Type 1 Very Easy

"You need more practice."

STFU! <hurls controller>
Sorry, all the scores here (and on most high-score threads, for that matter) are made on default "Normal" difficulty. Just return to defaults and go for it! :D
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Ghegs wrote: Just return to defaults and go for it! :D
Sorry, one half of my brain is not cooperating with the other half so it'll take a while longer before am on the score board too :p
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

WarpZone - 2,325,890 - 2-1 - Type 4
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Sorry about the delay. :| The long internet drought is finally over! :mrgreen:

Yes, obxStorm, please submit a "full defaults" score for consistency. [Good lord, I just tried to imagine tviks's score on Very Easy mode! :shock: ]
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

EDIT: new score

1,897,070 - 1-7 - Type 4
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Might as well update my score:

snap monkey - 2,230,990 - 1-7 - Type 4

Stage 7 is incredibly complex, but I'm slowly starting to unravel it. Doing tons better against Beacon, now it's the later bosses that are posing the biggest threat. Definitely need a lot more practice against the "wall boss" and the walker at the end. Then on to stage 8!
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

snap monkey - 2,400,440 - 1-8 - Type 4

Man, I totally got screwed by the onslaught of option stealers at the beginning of 1-8, lost all four of them. However, my stage 7 was quite excellent, only losing one life to the walker at the end. The 1CC is coming!
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

YES! My first 1CC has finally come.

snap monkey - 2,635,640 - 2-1 - Type 4

Died once on stage 6, three times on stage 7, a dumb death on stage 8, and the rest on the 2-1 boss. I can definitely do better, but this was quite an accomplishment for me. YES!
landshark

Post by landshark »

Nice job Snap.

That's one of the most impressive 2-1 scores I've ever seen.

Where do you milk out that many points? I know you can get some extra points in level 4 by constantly taking out the walls. And basically destroying as many enemies as you can.

But you are 400k over what I'm usually at by stage 2-1.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

landshark wrote:Nice job Snap.

Where do you milk out that many points? I know you can get some extra points in level 4 by constantly taking out the walls. And basically destroying as many enemies as you can.

Thanks, dude :D

One thing about the score is that it's really from the end of 2-1, the second core was all that was left from the boss (which is about 10x harder in the second loop, IMO). So I probably picked up I think 160k or so from that level, more or less.

As far as milking through the first loop, I don't do anything super special, other than the fact that I pretty much never miss a powerup, for the most part. I know a lot of people like to power up to have a forcefield ready and avoid other powerups until they use that shield and then repeat the process. This is a good strategy, as it's very safe, but I try to grab as many as possible and just rely on the Vic's tiny hitbox if I drop my shield. At 800 points per powerup, over the course of eight stages those bonuses can really add up to a significant part of your score. I justify it by saying it puts me that much closer to my next extend. Other than that, I just try to be as thorough as I can in destroying every possible enemy. Stuff like making sure generators are empty before destroying them and making sure you get all the "big" enemies, as they can be worth a lot of points. I sit at the front of the screen during the level 4 wall, but I hear you can get a TON of points with type 2 at that part. I'm not sure if the goop in stage 6 is worth much, but I hit as much of that as I can. And stage 7 is a freakin' goldmine, of course. All I can say is shoot anything that moves, or doesn't!
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

Do you know BGR-44 from Japan? He once scored 2.8 million at the end of 1-8 with type4. So snap is still 300k away from the "world record". :)
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I wish I didn't feel as though I have 23903250954320958 things to do... I need to try another hand at the game, myself :?
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

MSZ wrote:

Do you know BGR-44 from Japan? He once scored 2.8 million at the end of 1-8 with type4. So snap is still 300k away from the "world record". :)
I believe it. That guy is nutz.
MJR

Post by MJR »

2,023,710 1-7 type2 MJR

after 6 month break.. I get stuck on the same stage :?
Megaman36

Post by Megaman36 »

Megaman36 - 890,810 - 1-5 - Type 1
Megaman36

Post by Megaman36 »

Megaman36 - 928,700 - 1-5 - Type 1

Damn asteroid boss keeps killing me.