Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label [Arcade/X360]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
PurpleTheGuy

Re: Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label [Arcade/X360]

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

CRI wrote:hey Purple, your progress in this game is amazing. congrats man.
Thanks, CRI! :) Yeah, when I started to really play DOJBL back at spring of this year, I wanted the 2-ALL, but I had no scoring goals in-mind. At the time, I didn't think I'd ever actually really learn how to score in this game, but as I spent more time trying to 2-ALL DOJBL, learning how to chain in many parts of the game just came to me, bit by bit, and, well, before long, I found myself chaining a good amount of the game, haha. :P
CRI wrote:what is your theoretical max atm
My theoretical max... On savestate practice, if I do everything as I know it perfectly, including all those super risky strats I'd currently never dare to do in a full run, lest I want my chances to 2-ALL to drop pretty badly, I get 2.5 Billion - 2.7 Billion, but that's unrealistically perfect of course, haha. :P Realistically speaking, in terms of full runs, I can definitely reach at least 1.530+ Billion and I could perhaps maybe get as high as 2 Billion even, should I successfully pull off a 2-5 full chain.
CRI wrote:what's your goal?
My goal in DOJBL is getting the 2-ALL as it's always been, with the difference now being that I'd like to get a 2-ALL that gets over 1+ Billion (preferably at least over 1.13+ Billion, I'd say) and a 3340+ Hit chain (Preferably 3400 - 3500+ Hit chain, I'd say) to go with it. :)
CRI wrote:will you keep playing after the 2-all?
Hmm, will I keep playing after the 2-ALL... Well, DOJBL is the first single shmup game I ever spent substantial time on so far, so honestly, after I get the 2-ALL (It will also double as my 1st ever 2-ALL of any game as well), I might want to take a break from DOJBL, or DOJ in-general, since there are a number of other cave games I'd really like to try out, like Ketsui, DoDonPachi, DonPachi, DFK 1.5 & DFKBL, among others of course (I also know about DOJWL, of course, but again, I mentioned that I'm probably going to take a break from anything that has DOJ somewhere in it after I get the DOJBL 2-ALL, so DOJWL probably isn't about to be the next game I'll go to after DOJBL, lol :P), and then I'd like to try my hand in Psikyo games as well (Strikers 1999 comes to mind, in-particular), and then there's yet more games I'd like to play for sure, haha. :)

However, either way, I'd say my time in DOJBL isn't necessarily over after I get the 2-ALL, though. I'd like to do something with B-Exy in DOJBL and I'm also thinking about doing something with A-Shotia & B-Shotia as well, and I may yet decide to seriously learn to full chain both 1-3 & 1-4 and, by extension, 2-3 (the proper way) and 2-4. I've so far put off learning the full chains of those four stages (The timing's quite tough to pull off in 1-3 (I pulled off the midboss chain connect a few times, but it's not nearly consistent enough) and 1-4 (I have yet to successfully pull off the 1-up cannon chain connect)) & if I haven't learned these by the time I 2-ALL the game, then I'll definitely go learn them.
CRI wrote:would be really awesome if you stream some of your runs. your route sounds so advanced i could definitely find some tips by watching.
Well, at the moment, I don't really stream my runs, but I do at least do .inp files with the nvram on, for when I want to record them later on (If requested, I'll make videos of them and put them up), but when I do get what I want done, then yeah, I definitely will make videos of those, of course! In-fact, I made plenty of videos of my own strats for DOJBL, actually. :)
CRI wrote:sadly i can't get your inp file to work even with the nvram. it plays the replay for like 1-2min and then crashes mame for me.
Hmm, that's interesting to hear you can't get the .inp file to work even with the nvram (Have you tried this trick, where you'll start the replay, load a random save state, and then reset MAME (Shift-F3)?). At any rate, you're in for a bit of luck, since I got my run to replay properly for me, and since you wanted to see that particular run of mines, I'll definitely see what I can do for you, CRI! :) I'm familiar about how you've been playing DOJBL for a period of several years now through the posts you made here in the past, and I'd say, if anyone deserves to get the 2-ALL that hasn't got it yet w/ a high score to boot, you'd deserve it the most! So yeah, I'll help out with what I can, since I'm still very much after the 2-ALL myself (That & I studied a run or two of yours in the past, so yeah, definitely). I'll let you know, when I get that video of that particular run of mines up! :)
CRI wrote:btw: i will start doing full runs again soon and will also stream some of them.
Yeah, I'll be starting to do full runs myself soon, since things on my end irl are starting to wind down a bit now, so I'll have time to do full runs again. In-fact, while that was going on at my end, in the free time I have in-between, one of the new things I did was that I took the time to try to learn to chain parts of 1-4, and I found an easy way to chain it, courtesy of Erppo. :) While I still can't do the 1-up cannon chain connect thing right, I can now chain 1-4 up to the 1-up cannon. Never thought it would be that easy to do, haha. :P With that new improvement, in terms of chaining, my 1st loop scoring potential now reaches into the 810 - 820+ million range! :)
Last edited by PurpleTheGuy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

YouTube Channel | Twitter Account | Scores/1cc List on Restart Syndrome
kidpanda

Post by kidpanda »

Kidpanda - 169,423,950 - B-S 2-5 - 1340 - PCB

Made it through the hive with no issues, the winged ships that do the blue and red cross shots popped me near the end of the stage. Beat my best though.

CRI

Post by CRI »

Code: Select all

06. CRI                   1,310,901,530    A-E    2-5    2489 Hit
Spoiler
replay: https://youtu.be/i3t7kVZ6mF8

really good 2nd loop here but too many mistakes at the 1st loop denied me the 2-all.
but i'm getting there.
also thanks for the help and tips via pm purple.
kidpanda

Post by kidpanda »

Made it to Kouryuu, so it's getting there.

Kidpanda - 211,839,470 - A-S - 2-5 - 1100 - PCB
Spoiler
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hey everyone, it's been a while! :)

Sorry it took me long enough to get back here. I got this score a week ago (Some people here and elsewhere already know about this recent PB of mines a while ago), I just didn't get the time to post it here until now, so let me just drop it off here, while I still can, so that I don't decide to go putting it off yet again, lol. :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VioletHatPurple - 1,371,162,350 - A-E - 2-5 - 3399 Hit

ShmupMAME 4.2 inp file
NVRAM file

Screenshot below:
Spoiler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay, I beat Naut's score! :D

Well, to be honest, it's actually the 4th time I beat Naut's score (I first beat Naut's score back at early December 2017. I just didn't say anything about it, because that particular run was supposed to 2-ALL, but yet, it didn't (Let's just say I had a really good survival thing going on in that run, I reached the 2-5 boss w/ 5 spare lives, and, well, I got so nervous because it's the 1st time I ever did that well, survival-wise, in a full run, and I cracked certain parts of the boss on nerves, and I game over'd to Hibachi Final Attack... and she had only a little bit of health left, like, seriously :(... Needless to say, I was very sore about that run, and I refused to say anything about it... until recently, anyhow)).

Yeah, this run was also very close to being a 2-ALL, too. I reached Hibachi's Final Attack in this run, and well, I game over'd yet again, and she only had a little bit of health yet again, too... I've been getting a number of these runs lately, lol. :P

Sorry everyone, no 2-ALL from me yet, despite getting such a score. :(

A funny thing about this run: I died to something pretty stupid at the very end of the 1-4 boss (Normally, I would drop the run right then and there), but yet, since I was still in a position, to where I'll have 5 hypers for the beginning of stage 1-5, I decided to keep going with the run, since I can still at least full chain 1-5 the usual way. That, and since rank in DOJBL goes down quite a bit after you die, it also presents a unique opportunity to me, since, because the rank fell quite a bit after that bad death, it does make the game a bit easier to deal with, to where I could No Miss up to at least the 2-5 boss (I came a little close to pulling that off in this run, somewhat), so in that sense, it's worth giving it a shot, despite the bad death on 1-4.

That's about it from me for now. Well, I guess a little more effort will yet be needed to go finally 2-ALL DOJBL, so let me get back to that.

Also, yeah, again, I did not make a video of it, since it's not a 2-ALL and all, but if I get requests to make a video of it, then I'll understand and do that.
CRI wrote:really good 2nd loop here but too many mistakes at the 1st loop denied me the 2-all.
but i'm getting there.
also thanks for the help and tips via pm purple.
Hey man, I'm glad to see some of my tips helped! I saw a little bit of your most recent DOJBL video sometime ago (I haven't seen all of it yet), it's nice to see you do that 1-2 milking strat thing! :) Also, it's great to see you reached Hibachi's Final Attack! Hope you get the 2-ALL soon, CRI! :)
I'm Purple (or VioletHatPurple), the man who'll become King of the Doujin Players! Yes, I am a Touhou/Doujin Game Player!

PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

Hey again, everyone! Sorry to double post on here yet again (I know, sorry about that), but I have a major update I would like to post here! Some people here and elsewhere already know of what I did, as of very early in the morning of today, but I finally managed to get my 1st ever 2-ALL of DOJBL! It's even a new PB as well, and what an improvement it was! :D

VioletHatPurple - 1,618,647,750 - A-E - 2-ALL - 3518 Hit

Video of my 1st ever 2-ALL of DOJBL!

ShmupMAME 4.2 inp file
ShmupMAME 4.2 nvram file

Screenshot below:
Spoiler

So, yeah, this is my 1st ever 2-ALL of DOJBL, as I have mentioned! Several months (9-10 months, give-or-take) and hundreds of hours worth of playing DOJBL led to this moment! It is also, indeed, my 1st ever 2-ALL in any game ever! :D

This run had one of the the best survivals I have pulled off in a full run yet! In-fact, I actually even took the bomb bonus past the 2-3 boss, a first for me :o (Basically, in-short, I've come to understand that, should you No Miss up to the 2-3 boss's final attack without dying, it actually is worth giving it a shot to try to get past him without using a bomb, since it actually could help with your survival in the 2-4 conveyor belts, even if you end up dying against the 2-3 boss's final attack while trying to get past it without using bombs)! I dropped a lot of my chains well throughout the 2nd loop, though. That was a bit of a shame, but the survival made up for it (I carried the bomb bonus all the way up to the 2-4 conveyor belts), so that's alright. Since the survival was quite good, I can't really complain! :)

My 1st death was to the 2-4 conveyor belts, and I had two silly deaths on the stage part of 2-5, which was unfortunate. That really sucked, and when that happened, I thought the run was cooked. However, I still kept my focus, and I managed to reach the 2-5 boss with 3 spare lives. A little bit later, and then I reached Hibachi, and, well, I finally 2-ALL'd the game :D (You might notice I'm trying not to give off too many spoilers, since, yes, I did make a video of my 1st ever 2-ALL of DOJBL, naturally. The run speaks for itself, really :wink:)!

In-case anyone here ever wondered about that sort of thing, I am primarily a keyboard player when it comes to PC games in-general, MAME included. :)
Last edited by PurpleTheGuy on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

harduser

Post by harduser »

Congratulations!That‘s a nice score :D
The max hits is also great,if the run was perfectly executed maybe the score will reach 2b?
PurpleTheGuy

Post by PurpleTheGuy »

harduser wrote:Congratulations!That‘s a nice score :D
Thanks, Harduser! :)

Yeah, I totally blew my expectations away, when I got that 1st ever 2-ALL of DOJBL! In-fact, to be honest, I really exceeded my own expectations across the board, in regards to DOJBL in-general! Back when I first worked on DOJBL starting from Mar. 30th of last year, I was aiming to 2-ALL the game, but had no scoring goals in-mind, since I didn't really expect to score in DOJBL (Chaining seemed scary to me back then, since I never did it before & I heard all the horror stories about chaining in the DDP games, so I didn't know what to expect back then). Sometime in late May of last year, when I reached Hibachi's washing machine attack for the 1st time ever in a full run (That run didn't 2-ALL), my score in that one was only 290 Million and I only got a 1053 Hit chain in that one, lol. :P And now (Well, it's been several days now, but still), here I am, with my 1st ever 2-ALL with such a score that I never really ever thought I'd get, and it also hits into the 3500+ Hit chain range that's about perfect, for me anyways.

I should say, you're among those who helped along me the way, since it was from your 1.066 Billion DOJBL 2-ALL video that I learned how to optimize my 1-2 full chain, to where I often get 2400+ Hit in 1-2, so thank you for that, Harduser! I appreciate that! :)
harduser wrote:The max hits is also great
Thanks!

When I first learned how to full chain 1-5 back at early September, I made quite sure that I knew how to pull this off consistently and savestate practiced it often and all the time, to where I optimized my 1-5 full chain a number of times, to where I finally get into the 3400 - 3500+ Hit range often and all the time, and basically, for every full run I did, when I reach 1-5, I always have to have that 1-5 full chain, since I quite like getting in the 3400 - 3500+ Hit range! I don't always get it in full runs, though, so if I didn't get it, I just restart the run. Yeah, I just really wanted the 1-5 full chain everytime I do full runs in DOJBL. :)

I have to say, though: I've always wanted to reach into the 3700+ Hit range for stage 1-5, but yet, no matter how many times I watch LYX's replay & WY's replay and go to practice it in savestates, I always end up coming just short of it, so I end up being rather stumped on how to get that high of a hit range. :? I sort of get the idea when I watch their replays, though. I suspect the secret behind LYX and WY getting into the 3700 - 3800+ Hit range in stage 1-5 has to be at the beginning of stage 1-5, but I haven't figured out where exactly in the beginning of stage 1-5 is the sweet spot that will get me to that hit range, so, hmm. I'd still really love to get into that hit range sometime, though, so maybe one day, I'll get there! :)
harduser wrote:if the run was perfectly executed maybe the score will reach 2b?
Yeah, my 1st ever DOJBL 2-ALL had the potential to reach 2+ Billion, particularly since that run features me taking the bomb bonus past stage 2-3 and keeping it all the way up to the conveyor belts section of stage 2-4 (My 1st death was over at that section in my 2-ALL run). However, there were 3 mistakes that stopped me from getting 2+ Billion in my 1st ever 2-ALL of DOJBL.

The 1st one was that I had a chain break at the early part of stage 2-2, with the 2nd one being that I had another chain break somewhere at stage 2-3. It's unfortunate those 2 things happened, since I had savestate practiced those 2 a lot, to where I often full chain those 2 stages in full runs. I'd say at least about 200 Million worth of potential score was lost, due to those 2 mistakes.

The 3rd one was me dying to the 1st midboss of stage 2-5. As I was explaining to CRI earlier, that one was a real misfortune, since I savestate practiced that particular area a lot, and in a number of full runs I did, I was able to get it right, but in this one, I didn't, so that was a misfortune, and thus, it killed any chance of getting to 2+ Billion or at least getting near it, as that represented a large loss of potential score.

Still though, I quite like how my 1st ever 2-ALL of DOJBL turned out, especially since it took several months to finally get it! Despite those mistakes and at least a couple other mistakes, it all worked out in the end! :)

Nowadays, I've taken a bit of a break from DOJBL, and I'm starting to work on other games now. My time with DOJBL isn't necessarily over, though (I'd still want to get 2+ Billion and perhaps higher in due time, but yet, at the same time, I like to play other games now, since I've played just DOJBL straight for several months. Since I finally got the 2-ALL in it, there's been a number of other games I've been meaning to play for some time now that I really like to get to). I still do play DOJBL every now and then, since I actually don't want to forget what I learned in DOJBL, especially since I got some future plans in-mind that would ask me to maintain my knowledge in DOJBL (i.e. I might maybe want to play DOJWL sometime soon in the near future). Perhaps now might be a good time for me to go finally really learn the 1-3 & 1-4 full chain and execute it consistently, as well as the 2-4 full chain! :)

Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Feedbacker - 1,150,528,650 - A-E - 2-5 - 2697 Hit
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

iconoclast - 2,880,415,190 - B-E - 2-ALL - 3529 Hit (ShmupMAME 4.2)
https://twitter.com/iconoclast575/statu ... 6043520002
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Congrats!

You probably might want to post a video for such a score.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

iconoclast - 2,960,469,360 - B-E - 2-ALL - 3566 Hit (ShmupMAME 4.2)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ-dUUUUwAAppgk.jpg

edit: got a better score
iconoclast - 2,983,362,000 - B-E - 2-ALL - 3564 Hit (ShmupMAME 4.2)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaeH12vVQAAhEps.jpg

I wanted 3 billion at first, but it looks like the final score in Arcadia was 3,097,782,550. Beating that seems like a good long term goal to aim for. Also, I'd love to know how the WR progressed from 2.433b in the 2004.02.15 Arcadia, if anyone has that info or knows where I could find it. I wish they'd add more archives to that site.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

iconoclast - 3,044,123,660 - B-E - 2-ALL - 3637 Hit (ShmupMAME 4.2)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbmM6bmV0AADKST.jpg

Broke the 3B barrier (›´ω`‹ )

I think the next step is start taking more risks in 2-5. Goodbye, my safe pattern.
CRI

Post by CRI »

back from the dead for some more doj
small improvement but still... 2 places up for me :)

CRI - 1,341,254,930 - A-E - 2-5 - 3071 Hit
Spoiler
congrats iconoclast on that awesome score
3b is such a big number
amazing work
hope there will be a replay once you are done with the game
i wanna see your strats :)
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Small improvement

Erppo - 2,605,390,560 - A-E - ALL - 3534 Hit
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

oh yes Erppo you beat me!! :D
GG
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Congrats Erppo!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Huge congrats! What a rush that must've been! Next stop, 3bil?
I like chocolate milk

Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Thanks. At this rate it's 4 more summers in Hey though.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Ikr, arcades are simply unfair. They push you so hard. If I could play in a proper arcade again, my scores would just explode.
I like chocolate milk

Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Feedbacker - 1,255,194,520 - A-E - 2-5 - 3219 Hit
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

sky-13 - 77,536,810 - B-S - 1-ALL - 1291 Hit PCB

1CC’ed this gem of a game a few months back!

Crazy how much more I enjoy BL over WL, occasionally I’d switch over to WL and it just seems over all a slower experience.

I might have to try and crack into the 2nd Loop!
WARNING: no refuge
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Feedbacker - 1,476,287,280 - A-E - 2-5 - 3106 Hit
FireWalkWithMe

Post by FireWalkWithMe »

Hey guys,
Is there a place where i could find strategy ressources about the game ? like a bee map or anything else ?
My brother bought me a PGM slot with DDPDOJBL so it's about time to learn the game seriously.
You runs are very inspiring but seem way too hard even trying to ghost you only for the first 15 seconds of 1-1 ahah.
Do you think it's better to directly learn how to chain or just pushing the 1CC in pure survival for this game ?
Thank you very much and keep going', it always impress me how dedicated you are in order to reach these heights of skills and knowledge.
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

Daringspino34 - 262.797.420 - A-S -Stage 1-5 Boss - 2474 Hits
Link replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJQLg9B0aL4
1-All is so close though.
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

My new PB in the quest to 2-All with Shotia.
Daringspino34 - 731.916.070 - A-S -Stage 2-4 - 2060 Hits
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwv8erEOgvY&t=835s
DaringSpino34

Post by DaringSpino34 »

My new PB!!!
Daringspino34 - 1.118.192.720 - A-S -Stage 2-5 Boss - 3341 Hits
Video link: https://youtu.be/jIwTq8ehjKQ
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Really awesome work you've made DaringSpino, especially since a lot of folks tend to write off Shotia as not worth a players' time if they want to 2ALL the game. You're almost there!
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Congrats Spino!!
Lags

Post by Lags »

DaringSpino34 wrote:My new PB!!!
Daringspino34 - 1.118.192.720 - A-S -Stage 2-5 Boss - 3341 Hits
Video link: https://youtu.be/jIwTq8ehjKQ
Nice progress Spino, how long have you been playing DOJ BL??