Re: Hellfire

Post by saucykobold »

Hellfire arcade (checkpoint version)
saucykobold - 387,490 - 1P - 3-28 - Mame
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

Hellfire arcade (2-player version)
Imhotep - 344,500 - 1P - 4-14 - PCB (autofire)
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
MJR

Post by MJR »

482'300 4-30

I have survived the boss on some continued plays, so there was a good chance, but i blew it by reaching for 1-up too soon and getting killed. After that it was a steady downhill.

Well, next time..
DEL

Post by DEL »

Glad to see you're still playing it MJR.

I assume you're staying at the top of the screen and using 4-way diagonal laser for the mid part of ST4 (volcanoes etc). Keep the 4 way for the Boss and just dodge in the middle of the screen. There's no fast way to take the Boss down. Just hold out for as long as you can and the 4 blocks will go down.
I 1CC'd a loop on the 1Player version with checkpoints a couple of years ago. I had trouble with the last stage of the first loop. I was pretty much wired-in when I managed to reach the Last Boss of the 2nd loop and can't believe I made a stupid mistake on the Last Boss and failed to get the 2-ALL.
I used a continue one time on another credit to see what happens at the completion of the 2nd loop. The 2nd Loop Last Boss gave me something like 800,000 or 900,000 and the game ended, no 3rd loop. So I should have persisted and got the 2-ALL and got 2.24mil or 2.34mil and left it there :?
MJR

Post by MJR »

DEL wrote:Glad to see you're still playing it MJR.

I assume you're staying at the top of the screen and using 4-way diagonal laser for the mid part of ST4 (volcanoes etc). Keep the 4 way for the Boss and just dodge in the middle of the screen. There's no fast way to take the Boss down. Just hold out for as long as you can and the 4 blocks will go down.
I 1CC'd a loop on the 1Player version with checkpoints a couple of years ago. I had trouble with the last stage of the first loop. I was pretty much wired-in when I managed to reach the Last Boss of the 2nd loop and can't believe I made a stupid mistake on the Last Boss and failed to get the 2-ALL.
I used a continue one time on another credit to see what happens at the completion of the 2nd loop. The 2nd Loop Last Boss gave me something like 800,000 or 900,000 and the game ended, no 3rd loop. So I should have persisted and got the 2-ALL and got 2.24mil or 2.34mil and left it there :?
Thanks for the hints :)
Yes, dusted the board up, and lo, it does not reboot itself now - meaning I can practise :)
I actually can go through stage 4 boss without getting hit, when playing on continues, but I have managed to screw up until that point. Since I have 2P-version, it means that I have to continue playing with no firepower.

About how I play stage 4 when volcanoes come: most of the time I stay at the left edge and shoot forwards. When the volcanoes come to the left, I move to right and shoot behind. It works perfectly, but sometimes I get killed if I reach too soon for the 1UP-bonus which usually spawns at this point.

I'd love to 1cc this and Truxton (another toaplan shooter I love) one day..
DEL

Post by DEL »

MJR wrote;
Since I have 2P-version, it means that I have to continue playing with no firepower.
That's totally fine. The game was designed for recovery from any point. Plus the 2P version is better for ST2-1. Death on the final part of ST2-1 on the 1P checkpoint version (which I now have) is extremely difficult to recover from, whereas the respawning of the 2P version carries you through.

As for ST4 Volcanoes section - use whatever works for you, but I found that diagonal 4 way starting from the top middle and circling down and round when necessary is a good way.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Finally got through the rotating heads on 1cc.
Del - what I meant with volcanoes were the mountains that rise from the sea in middle of stage four.

At that point, you usually get 1up-token floating at you.

561'450 5-26
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Despatche - 668,020 - Stage 1-3 - Easy - Yes

This game is hard.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
UGO

Post by UGO »

Genesis version :
Yea Right / 1.077.530 / Round 1-4 / Rapid On.
Hard / 1.646.100 / Round 1-6 / Rapid On.

I don't know if the Yea Right mode is available in the japanese version.

Edit Hard : 1.764.420 / Round 1-6 / Rapid On.

Edit Easy : 3.012.460 / Round 2-3 / Rapid On.
L-Dis, Gaiares, Battle Squadron... Go replay : http://www.dailymotion.com/UGO--Runs--- ... oId=xensqt
MJR

Post by MJR »

UGO wrote:Genesis version :
Hard / 1.646.100 / Round 1-6 / Rapid On.

I don't know if the Yea Right mode is available in the japanese version.

Edit Hard : 1.764.420 / Round 1-6 / Rapid On.

Edit Easy : 3.012.460 / Round 2-3 / Rapid On.

I had the megadrive (EU) version and did not even know that there was 'yea right'-difficulty. That's kinda brilliant.

But please clarify what you mean with "edit hard"? Sorry, but it has been reeally long time since I played megadrive version (20 years I think)
UGO

Post by UGO »

In EU and US versions you can play in the Yea Right mode :
Go to the options screen and wait one minute with the cursor placed on Hard.

"Edit Hard"... I had simply edited my post with a new score. I didn't want to make a double post.

So my scores are :
Hard / 1.764.420 / Round 1-6 / Rapid On.
Easy / 3.012.460 / Round 2-3 / Rapid On.
L-Dis, Gaiares, Battle Squadron... Go replay : http://www.dailymotion.com/UGO--Runs--- ... oId=xensqt
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The Japanese version doesn't seem to have it, at least not with that code.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
UGO

Post by UGO »

I had also noticed that in the japanese version :
- Sounds of the weapon are more high. And the music is less.
- The number of continues is not the same.

Maybe others things are different in this version.
I wonder about loops and about scoring.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Updated; I've now split up the difficulty tables for the megadrive/genesis version.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Might as well post my pathetic Easy score then:

Mega Drive - Easy
Battletoad - 1,145,280 - 1-4 - Rapid: Yes
Despatche wrote:The Japanese version doesn't seem to have it, at least not with that code.
PlasmaBlooD once told me that the Japanese version doesn't have the Yeah Right mode at all.
UGO

Post by UGO »

UP :
Hard / 2.732.920 / Round 2-4 / Rapid On.
Easy / 3.113.150 / Round 2-4 / Rapid On.

Yea Right / 1.099.210 / Round 1-4 / Rapid On.
DEL

Post by DEL »

MJR - RE: PCB Score.
Can you correct my earlier error - in my score listing. It wasn't final loop. It was death at Last Boss of Loop 2. The WR suggests traditional Toaplan infinite loops, allowing for Counter Stop score 10,000,000+. WR being a death in Loop 8.
My score is exact. All that needs changing is the description of the death point.

Cheers,

DEL
MJR

Post by MJR »

DEL wrote:MJR - RE: PCB Score.
Can you correct my earlier error - in my score listing. It wasn't final loop. It was death at Last Boss of Loop 2. The WR suggests traditional Toaplan infinite loops, allowing for Counter Stop score 10,000,000+. WR being a death in Loop 8.
My score is exact. All that needs changing is the description of the death point.

Cheers,

DEL
How do you count the area in arcade version? I could not find reference for it, and coin op version notoriously gives the info only after you enter the highscore table.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Eh, why the fuck not. It's not like I'll ever win this game anyway... (Seriously, why are the hardest bosses all in stage 3?!)

EDIT: One last try.
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
MJR

Post by MJR »

Updated; I had to shorten your nick a bit for the table. Hope you don't mind.

I am starting to feel tempted to have a go myself on this game soon..
DEL

Post by DEL »

MJR - My distance is not loop 8 - that's the World Record. My distance is a stupid death on the Last Boss of the 2nd loop. I forget how many stages there are per loop - 6 or 7, so its a 2-6 or 2-7.

Cheers,

DEL
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

I found an old easy record on MD in the thegenetforum

PlasmaBlooD 4,627,520 3-4 Yes
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

Mega Drive(jap) Hellfire (jap) Easy

PlasmaBlooD 6,688,840 4-4 Yes

The Bullets are from Hell in Round 4
UGO

Post by UGO »

Very Strong !

I didn't know that the game had a fourth loop.
But this japanese version is different.

In the Pal version instructions booklet it is noticed there are three rounds... But I wonder because there is also noticed that the subweapon doesn't affect bosses. But it affects bosses.

Or maybe there are three loops with a new difficulty and then loops are infinite with the same fourth difficulty...

The Easy second loop is already more difficult than the Yea Right first loop...
And the Hard second loop already became a little crazy...
MJR

Post by MJR »

Updated!

OK guys that's it, I think I'm going to have a go at this as well.

DEL,
my question originally regarding the stage was that the PCB counts levels differently than in genesis/megadrive version, in a sense that first digit [x] is area, while the second [xx] is subarea.

If you were in the last boss, I have no idea what the number of that subarea is supposed to be.
I died in stage 5-26, that does not mean 5th loop, it was simply stage 5 with subarea 26.

And if you were in loop 2, I have absolutely no idea how the arcade version is supposed to count on there. Is stage 1 there a stage 8 like in R-type?

I guess I just have to boot up the PCB (or mame version), credit feed, and do some research.
UGO

Post by UGO »

My new scores :
Yea Right / 1.572.710 / Round 1-6 / Rapid On.
Easy / 3.161.120 / Round 2-6 / Rapid On. Third loop was very near.
Played on US version.
MJR

Post by MJR »

updated!

I did have a go at the megadrive version too (easy, 1,080,410, 1-4), but I think I'll go for the arcade version next..

It was interesting to play it, last time was somewhere in 1992 I think.. that's almost 20 years from now!
DEL

Post by DEL »

MJR wrote;
DEL,
my question originally regarding the stage was that the PCB counts levels differently than in genesis/megadrive version, in a sense that first digit [x] is area, while the second [xx] is subarea.

If you were in the last boss, I have no idea what the number of that subarea is supposed to be.
I died in stage 5-26, that does not mean 5th loop, it was simply stage 5 with subarea 26.

And if you were in loop 2, I have absolutely no idea how the arcade version is supposed to count on there. Is stage 1 there a stage 8 like in R-type?

I guess I just have to boot up the PCB (or mame version), credit feed, and do some research.
That would be a good idea and perhaps the only way to be sure. I only made sure to write down the exact score at the time.
Kollision

Re:

Post by Kollision »

New score for the MD version (Hard)

1,571,840 - Kollision - 2-1 -Yes

MJR

Post by MJR »

Updated; sorry for the delay, it's been bit hectic lately.

I think I should fire this up in my cabinet again. Would love to try the PC-Engine version as well.