Battle Bakraid

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Cheers lads :D

@Smraedis - Yeah, 20mil is what I'm looking for - if everything came together then I'd get it, but it would be more down to luck than knowledge right now. I've chained well on seaside a couple of times now, but never after a good naval and I usually get into a suicide frenzy which ends up killing me because I forget to pick up extends...

My axebeak is too random (either 1, 2 or 4mil) and the naval stage still needs some work, I always break the chain before the 3 turrets and submarine section - I'm not really 100% on how to tackle that part TBH (not joining the 2 chains, but the actual second half of the level). I'll need to do a bit of replay watching again. Your ancient 20mil replay has been very useful BTW.

If I get the 20, I'll go balls deep into Axebeak/Flame Viper practice, which I've been putting off because it's simply rather annoying to learn. Also, my knowledge of the 10mil milk is poor, can all ships do the Axebeak 10mil?

EDIT: Slightly higher input (wolf0.99) I made today, 14.8million which ends at the cloud boss rush here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3S6UI5GT

Littered with mistakes, a very poor decision to grab an extend on naval which broke my chain being one of the worst, along with cocking up the entire first half of seaside. Made it past stage 3 though, which seems to be quite a rare occurance for me at the moment...
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I believe you can do it, it takes me many many tries to get anywhere still...
On Axebeak, I used to only try to get 4 million (by using the charge shot when the boss does the missile attack.. then aura the cockpit) but this is dropping 6 million straight away. I can do 10 million with Blade Owl, I guess almost all ships can do the 10 million, but some are slower than others it seems.
Since I started playing the game again, this was the first thing I learned to do, it also helps the entry into the naval stage (and doing well at the end of the naval stage will give a good entry into the next stage)

Chaining naval is what it's all about (well until I reach 35-40 million) even if you drop the chain at the 3 turrets, you don't lose a great amount of score if you try to start the chain again... but you can run out of lives.

I want to do the 50,000x64x2 on the naval boss.. as then I'll almost be at my target ;) however, this is really a game that I would not like to play in an arcade.
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Smraedis - 35,897,750 - Flame Viper [C] - Stage 6 (SE)
Image Image

Erm yeah.. before I say anything, I am going to blame this on my neighbours, who are having some really stupid argument and are distracting me... I hope they read this :lol:

But a lot went right this run, I am playing far more safe.. with far more success. I dropped the chain in the middle of the Naval stage (before the 3 turrets) and started it again, chaining all the way past the first form of the boss.
Played really well in the rest of the game, and almost beat the record in this run.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Smraedis wrote:chaining all the way past the first form of the boss.
:shock: Well done! That adds a massive amount extra on your score.

I'm getting 12-14mil constantly, so you need to record one of these runs soon, cause I need some inspiration buddy :wink:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I felt inspired already. Not a great score, but I got lucky off axebreak. :wink:

Dave_K. - 11 178 860 - Saber Tiger [C] - Stage 6 - Advanced Course (SE)

My score is #3 on the pic below below. #1 & #2 spot on there is Rastan78's from our long since past raizing-fest shmupmeet.

Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Got the record

Smraedis - 37,502,280 - Flame Viper [C] - Stage 5 (SE)
Image Image
Oh and I recorded it!
So you can all see a full chain on the Naval stage.
The Seaside stage was a complete comedy of errors, where everything just didn't happen... the same with the Desert stage too, but only 2.5 million more to go... easy :P
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Got the record
You got the record days ago with breaking 28mill?

Congrats anyway! When will you move on to advanced?
And a replay would be sweeeet.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Oh I mean the advanced record :D
I guess I can go onto it now, I prefer normal because I don't have to concentrate on Axebeak's attacks when on normal :P
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Well done!

And good job recording it, takes a lot of patience to stare at that rom check screen everytime you restart :wink:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

freddiebamboo wrote:And good job recording it, takes a lot of patience to stare at that rom check screen everytime you restart :wink:
You must be thinking Garegga, as Bakraid's rank does not carry over to the next game (at least as far I knew).
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

It's not because of rank, it's because he's recording an inp.

BTW great job Smraedis! :wink:
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

It only took me 9 recorded plays to get that score yesterday though, so I can't complain much.
I guess I'll try to beak the advanced top score too, which shouldn't be too hard with how I am going. I just don't like the rank you get, after scoring so well on the Naval stage. I can see myself full chaining the stage, and then getting hit on the Naval boss, before any of the extends arrive...
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Whatever!

Advanced Course
Smraedis - 36,735,030 - Flame Viper [C] - Stage 7 (SE)
Image Image

Run is recorded... I think the best part in the run is where I grab an extend at the end of the Desert stage, by going through the gaps in the bullets of the last enemies.
Chained Naval untill the boss.. I couldn't suicide before it, because the extend hadn't dropped in time.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Yeah another first :P

Advanced Course
Smraedis - 37,318,900 - Flame Viper [C] - Stage 6 (SE)
Image Image

Not too happy with this run, I prolly won't be happy until I get 40, and then I know I could get 45 or even more...
Recorded the run again, full chain Naval.. but only got one of the 50kX64 on the boss. Would have been 40 million if I got the other one.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Three updates:

I've only got some chaining going on in the first two stages, the rest is all medaling and survival. I had up to four lives in this Advanced run and tried to muscle my way through it. Then 3 bosses into stage 6 the missiles were coming in so fast in a row that I couldn't shoot them down fast enough even with forward options! :cry:

Dave_K. - 12 390 280 - Saber Tiger [C] - ALL - Normal (SE)
Dave_K. - 12 416 350 - Saber Tiger [C] - Stage 6 - Advanced (SE)
Dave_K. - 9 335 260 - Saber Tiger [C] - Gigamanta - Boss

Image Image Image
Last edited by Dave_K. on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I put this back in the cab and I'm reminded why I like this game so much. Haven't caught my old high score yet but managed to full chain the Desert stage for the first time.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Switched to flame viper and made it past Gigamanta in this run, then died stupidly on Gollum.

I find it strange that nobody has cleared Boss or Advanced course yet in this HS thread. I know everyone is concentrating on scores, but wouldn't you want the clear first, or is the rank just to difficult in these modes?

Dave_K. - 10 832 250 - Flame Viper [C] - Gollum - Boss

pieslice

Post by pieslice »

pieslice - 4 961 040 - Hammer Shark (A) - 6 - Normal
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ltc - 7 605 690 - Buster Lizard (A) - ALL- Normal

I ESC'd with automatical reflex after I took the screencap on 'complete' and credits rolled :shock:. Does the game reward you with points for clear/lives in the end?
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

LtC wrote:Ltc - 7 605 690 - Buster Lizard (A) - ALL- Normal

I ESC'd with automatical reflex after I took the screencap on 'complete' and credits rolled :shock:. Does the game reward you with points for clear/lives in the end?
No, I don't think so. The only actual bonus is the points you get from destroying the last boss.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I'll nudge my score a little higher. I'm so inconsistent in this game. If I could put together everything in one solid run, I'd be around 25 million. I still can't chain the bosses (except axebeak) for shit though.

Acid King - 19,424,570 - Flame Viper [A] - Stage 5 - (SE)
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Advanced Course
Smraedis - 39,247,920 - Flame Viper [C] - Stage 5 (SE)

Boss Only Course
Smraedis - 13,463,200 - Blade Owl [C] - Stage 8 (Vampire)

Image Image

Was messing around on that 39m run.. and now when I try to beat it, I get nowhere :D
In responce to Acid King's post above.. my maximum score is a lot higher than what I can score too... the game just really pushes you to make too many mistakes, and mess your scoring up. And I am finally getting tired of it ;)

The boss only mode has made me able to dodge Kraken's final pattern without bombing ;) also I no miss no bombed Gigamanta (yes, so I dodged that impossible part twice)
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I've been playing it on and off for the past few years and eventually I get sick of it and put in something else. Then I go back to it after a few months or so and have another magic moment where I realize how great the game is and why I like it so much. Once you understand how chaining works and you can pull a few extends out of Axebeak, the game really opens up. You can pretty much chain on the fly and improvise your way through big sections of stage. But so much can happen that just fucking ruins your plans, like missing a suicide attempt or not leaving enough bullets on screen to have anything to run into, or dropping an extend, that it gets real frustrating when you are trying to play with any kind of consistency. The game alternately fascinates and repulses me.
twalden

Post by twalden »

twalden - 8 847 130 - Solid Ray - [A] - Stage 5 (SE)

I'm all over the place scoring wise. Hopefully everything will come together in a single game one day.

Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale-2.934,560-Normal Course-Lightning Wolf-All-Mame

Shitty score but a 1cc yay!
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
croikle

Post by croikle »

Normal Course
croikle - 21,590,810 - Flame Viper [C] - Stage 6
I really wanted to improve this a bit more and get the ALL, but I haven't had much time to play recently, so I'm putting this up now. With more practice and deciding on a SE route, this should be quite beatable. It would certainly make my day to beat Icarus :) .... but that may be another 30 runs of waiting through Axebeak's attacks only to make some mistake in Stage 2 or whatever.

Also, reppie noticed that entries 23 and 24 should be switched to maintain sorting.
croikle

Post by croikle »

Good enough for tonight :D
Normal Course
croikle - 35,266,880 - Flame Viper [C] - Stage 5 (SE)
ImageImage
Using the lives from Axebeak to milk the Railroad boss can get you ~8M. Highly recommended.

There are still places to improve, and a really good run might beat this by a lot, but I'm happy. Will still probably try to get the last 2M to #1, though.

Oh yeah, I still need to get the 1cc sometime :oops:...
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

:lol:
just go for a fun run easy 1cc.. got to be better than milking bosses for hours .
congrats on the crazy score!
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Congrats!
croikle wrote: Using the lives from Axebeak to milk the Railroad boss can get you ~8M. Highly recommended.
Yeah, I need to implement this into a run here, I can do it, but I just try to score high in the other stages instead.
croikle wrote:There are still places to improve, and a really good run might beat this by a lot, but I'm happy. Will still probably try to get the last 2M to #1, though.
I feel the same here too, the amounts I can score on each stage, are not showing in my scores.
Good luck on trying to beat my score too ^^
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

GSP - 2608880 - Flame Viper (C) - Stage 3 (Seaside), Advanced course
Got owned in front of 1up T_T
Me & my previous records