Raiden DX

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
MJR

Post by MJR »

I guess I just got to let it replay again & reshoot :roll:
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

At the bottom right of the video window on YouTube are two buttons. The one on the right opens the movie for playback in fullscreen. The one on the left toggles the stretching of a movie to fit the video window. Clicking this button will un-stretch your Tate video.
MJR

Post by MJR »

incognoscente wrote:At the bottom right of the video window on YouTube are two buttons. The one on the right opens the movie for playback in fullscreen. The one on the left toggles the stretching of a movie to fit the video window. Clicking this button will un-stretch your Tate video.
Excellent, thanks!
MJR

Post by MJR »

Talk about sweet joy - I managed to topple the novice course score as well.. by 31050 points!
Since Icarus has (unfortunately) left the forum, it seems I don't have to worry about being toppled, at least for a while.

Novice - normal difficulty

MJR - 5'450'920 - 1-5(c) - P2 - PSX

I one-lifed and no-bombed myself to 1-5, then started to screw things up, but I took it easy at the boss, and made it.

I will now set out to do the only thing I really ever wanted to do: 1cc the expert course! I would have done so years ago if it was not my unhealthy obsession of getting top spot from training and novice mission.

The highscore table entry is empty, thanks to my fantastically stupid idea of trying to pause the game in highscore screen (well it works in replay..)
But you'll see the nicks MJR and CAI (CAI was used when I did not complete the mission)

CIT

Post by CIT »

Hehe, nice one! Icarus has left the forum, but I'm sure he's still lurking, so maybe he'll make a Raiden DX comeback. Better watch your back. ;)
MJR

Post by MJR »

CIT wrote:Hehe, nice one! Icarus has left the forum, but I'm sure he's still lurking, so maybe he'll make a Raiden DX comeback. Better watch your back. ;)
I'd be very happy if I could motivate him to return.. ;)

By the way, I had a training run on expert mission last night. Contrary to the PCB, you can actually get to the special stage when using continues. Speedkilling that last tank is VERY recommended, as special stage is the only one with checkpoints.

But 2nd loop happens only if you 1cc it.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Grrrr.
'
Great job, MJR. :D
MJR

Post by MJR »

and don't worry - I don't think I'll be playing this at arcade difficulty - at least not unless I get myself a PCB (not for a long while)
Pulstar

Post by Pulstar »

SFKhoa wrote:I'm trying!
So I discovered for the 3rd boss, each sniper copter thing will spawn every 7 seconds, so I need to find an effective way to quickly point blank the boss within that 7-second gap.
Maybe a silly question but are you talking about training mode here? I only ever played that about 5~10 times so my memory's a bit fuzzy on it. At first I thought you were talking about Mission Charlie..

Hello everyone I'm new here. blah.
About the highscore table, if you'll accept mine:
3046000 (Novice 1-5)
1180960 (Charlie 1-4)

As I said I never cared much for Training so I forget my score there! Don't know what it would take to prove it, I got those scores in my favourite little Hongkong arcade last year, but let me know if it's in any doubt.

By the way, am I the only person in the world who generally uses the blue laser? That plus homing missiles really work wonders. I know, you need better navigational skills if you decide to go this route, but that's just a blessing in disguise: not only do you get eradicating firepower, but you force yourself into being a better bullet dodger. It's also great for blowing the amphibious tanks and most anything else to kingdome come quickly enough that you can relax momentarily afterwards.

I admit on 1-5 on Novice I'll go with the spread shot, it's a bit too insane for me otherwise and also a bit easier around the pyramid in 1-3 so I may, but for Charlie I use blue + H missiles almost exclusively until I get to the 1-4 boss. Granted I've never been past 1-5 and got there so few times that I don't recall having a preference at that point but I digress.

By the way, nice 1-credit video. I don't know if you know, but there is a safe spot (edit: yes, in novice mode) around where you were shooting the stage 4 boss, last year I saw someone do it while waiting my turn, but sent myself to my grave trying it myself.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Never been past 1-5? Your grand space odyssey is a-waiting :)

You really should use red if you play on novice; as it enables you to wipe bigger enemies at point blank range (see strategy section) before they can react. On Charlie/Expert it's another thingy, but I still recommend red+homing+scatter bomb if you are going to survive swarms of sniper-happy enemies. 1-5 boss needs blue laser of course.

From there onwards, I've noticed that if you run low on firepower, then purple toothpaste laser is almost the only option to stay alive until you manage to build your weapon power back again. And when that happens you really need red as there are lot of small enemies doing nasty attacks at you.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Welcome, Pulstar! I've added your scores.

Please tell us what player side you played on, player-1 side or player-2 side?
Pulstar

Post by Pulstar »

MJR wrote:Never been past 1-5? Your grand space odyssey is a-waiting :)

You really should use red if you play on novice; as it enables you to wipe bigger enemies at point blank range (see strategy section) before they can react. On Charlie/Expert it's another thingy, but I still recommend red+homing+scatter bomb if you are going to survive swarms of sniper-happy enemies. 1-5 boss needs blue laser of course.

From there onwards, I've noticed that if you run low on firepower, then purple toothpaste laser is almost the only option to stay alive until you manage to build your weapon power back again. And when that happens you really need red as there are lot of small enemies doing nasty attacks at you.
I know, I know... I'd love to blast off into outer space, but leave it to me to screw up something simple when all is going well... I don't know if the machine was actually on hard the way 99% of arcade games are in Hongkong (the timer is also sped where possible, ex. fighting games), both as a means of getting people off the machines faster to increase potential intake, but I'm still assuming that was just me cracking under pressure, and sometimes playing badly. And spending half my "practice" time with Raiden Fighters Jet at another arcade a 5 min. walk away :D

I'll dig around for the strategy section then. I guess it makes sense to use the spread shot since reading this thread, I was able to confirm my idea of what the GUTS rating was actually for. Still, it's a different feeling of satisfaction playing a mission like 1-4 on Charlie with the blue laser + homing missiles and erasing everything that comes your way. In a way, the faster you kill the heavily-armoured enemies, the fewer bullet showers they reign down on you, so the less one need navigate around them.

Funny thing about the 1-5 boss, I have NEVER seen anyone use blue on it! Not even on the brief clip I have of the Insanity DVD, mind you that's obviously mission Charlie. In fact half the people I would see get there would be boring, just sit in one of the upper corners and wait for the boss to fly away, which it does after I think around 2 minutes. There was only one guy who would ever always take it on, but he was a wizard, getting 5~6 million+ every go.

CIT: Thanks! I was playing on the 1P side. I'd love to carry on if I can get to the local machine mentioned in another thread.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Pulstar wrote:
SFKhoa wrote:I'm trying!
So I discovered for the 3rd boss, each sniper copter thing will spawn every 7 seconds, so I need to find an effective way to quickly point blank the boss within that 7-second gap.
Maybe a silly question but are you talking about training mode here? I only ever played that about 5~10 times so my memory's a bit fuzzy on it. At first I thought you were talking about Mission Charlie..
Stage 3 = Boat boss of Bravo Mission.
DarkMoon

Post by DarkMoon »

sorry for being off topic, but is Raiden 2 or DX emulated in Mame yet?
CIT

Post by CIT »

Nope, but both games got released for Playstation.
DarkMoon

Post by DarkMoon »

CIT wrote:Nope, but both games got released for Playstation.
Yea, I have both, The Raiden Project and Raiden DX on PSX. Thanks though :)
MJR

Post by MJR »

Having played the PCB to death I can say with confidence that the PSX version is one of the best coinop conversions I've ever seen.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

cigsthecat - 5,096,350 - 1-5(c) - 1P - Arcade - Playstation

Did pretty well until I screwed up the last boss something fierce.
"The art director is always listed as the art director in their games. The programmer is always listed as the programmer."
CIT

Post by CIT »

Not bad young man. Not bad indeed! :D
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Oh goddamnit.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

For Novice Course/Normal difficulty.

cigsthecat - 5,648,950 - 1-5 - 1P - Novice - PSX

No clear, I choked on the last boss's final form.
"The art director is always listed as the art director in their games. The programmer is always listed as the programmer."
CIT

Post by CIT »

Congrats! You're really tearing through this game! :)

Out of courtesy for the other players it would be nice of you to also post a photo of the ranking menu when you get a #1 score. :wink:
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Thanks, I will post a photo soon but I need to find my camera cable.

Also you have me listed twice on each table.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Congrats Cigs, seems you gave me something to do.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Too bad the arcade I go to doesn't have the RDX PCB anymore. :(
ktg

Post by ktg »

Playstation

Arcade Training
ktg - 838,970 - 1-0 - 2P

Arcade Novice
ktg - 1,732,440 - 1-1 - 2P

Just got this game. Played about an hour so far. I figure I'll stick with Arcade until I hit a wall.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Stage "1-1" doesn't seem right. :wink:
ktg

Post by ktg »

Didn't really seem right to me either. Basically screwing around, checking out the game, lost all my lives in the first stage. The end of play bonus was well over a million. Probably not too fair. I'll post an improvement soon.
ktg

Post by ktg »

Playstation

Arcade Training
ktg - 1,060,420 - 1-0 - 2P

Arcade Novice
ktg - 1,809,930 - 1-3 - 2P

Nice little improvement in Training, moves me up a couple ranks.
On Novice, normally I wouldn't post such a small improvement that doesn't move me up in the rankings, but it's a more accurate score. Got about halfway into stage 3 and the end bonus was only around half a million.
ktg

Post by ktg »

Playstation

Arcade Training
ktg - 1,797,070 - 1-0 - 2P

Another good bump in training. I keep getting killed trying to get the third gold pyramid. Almost cleared it this time though. Hopefully I'll be able to put in a good session this weekend.