Re: Raiden DX

Post by Mero »

I'm shit at this game

Expert - normal

Mero - 2,565,200 - 1-4
Mills

Post by Mills »

Considering your only one more stage away from completion, that is decent enough. keep at it.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Mills wrote:Considering your only one more stage away from completion, that is decent enough. keep at it.
Not quite, I'm playing Expert mode (the one with 9 levels) so I've still got a long way to go yet :wink:

I haven't really had much of a crack at Training or Novice yet, will do soon though
Mills

Post by Mills »

Well you know you can loop onto each mission following specific conditions during play.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Improvement

Expert/advanced

Mero - 3,250,650 - 1-5 - 1P - Normal - PS1

Sorry for not submitting my score in the correct format before, I hadn't read the OP :oops:
MJR

Post by MJR »

finally:

bravo/novice mission - normal difficulty

MJR - 5,665,630 - 2P - PS1

Image Image
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I'm playing the PCB with autofire. Is this legit for the scoreboard? BTW, how long is the training stage (in minutes)?
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
CIT

Post by CIT »

It's around 12-15 minutes long, I believe. Autofire is cool, I don't think anybody plays this game without.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

I'm new here, and I really love this game. There's a lot of really good scores on here. So here's my score.
Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 3441380 - 1-0(c) - Training (Alpha) - 1P - Arcade - Playstation
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

I'm slowly improving, so here is my new score. Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 4115160 - 1-0(c) - Training (Alpha) - 2P - Arcade - Playstation. Sorry about the quality of the pic, its my crappy camera.Image
Last edited by Furry Fox Jet Pilot on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:I'm slowly improving, so here is my new score. Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 4115160 - 1-0(c) - Training (Alpha) - 2P - Arcade - Playstation. I have a pic this time, but I don't know how to upload it.
You can try to use Photobucket, but you're gonna need an account to use it, by 'Signing Up'.

After creating one, click 'Upload Now' (the one with the green button), click 'Select Photos and Videos' (make sure you have an album first), then select the photos you want to upload, and voila. You could see your upload even when you login.

Click on the photo, then on 'share this photo', you could see the information of your photo.

Click the 'IMG code' indicated to it's right (you would see the word 'Copied') and paste it to your post.

Got it? Note again when you have a photo, copy-paste the link of it then highlight it and click the 'IMG' button shown above. This does not work for Twitpic, however.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

tinotormed wrote:
Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:I'm slowly improving, so here is my new score. Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 4115160 - 1-0(c) - Training (Alpha) - 2P - Arcade - Playstation. I have a pic this time, but I don't know how to upload it.
You can try to use Photobucket, but you're gonna need an account to use it, by 'Signing Up'.

After creating one, click 'Upload Now' (the one with the green button), click 'Select Photos and Videos' (make sure you have an album first), then select the photos you want to upload, and voila. You could see your upload even when you login.

Click on the photo, then on 'share this photo', you could see the information of your photo.

Click the 'IMG code' indicated to it's right (you would see the word 'Copied') and paste it to your post.

Got it? Note again when you have a photo, copy-paste the link of it then highlight it and click the 'IMG' button shown above. This does not work for Twitpic, however.
Thank you very much, it worked perfectly! :D
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:Thank you very much, it worked perfectly! :D
You're welcome. I always got used to both Photobucket and Twitpics.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Here is my new score. Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 4567260 - 1-0(c) - Training (Alpha) - 2P - Arcade - Playstation. I finally passed the training stage without dying and with 100% secrets, although I didn't kill enough enemies to loop it into novice. This game can be so frustrating at times.Image
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:I finally passed the training stage without dying and with 100% secrets, although I didn't kill enough enemies to loop it into novice. This game can be so frustrating at times.
You satisfied the destruction requirement, actually (99% or better). :) If you got six or seven gold pyramids and didn't die, then you must have used a bomb somewhere. No-bombing is the way to go if you want to loop into Novice.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

saucykobold wrote:
Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:I finally passed the training stage without dying and with 100% secrets, although I didn't kill enough enemies to loop it into novice. This game can be so frustrating at times.
You satisfied the destruction requirement, actually (99% or better). :) If you got six or seven gold pyramids and didn't die, then you must have used a bomb somewhere. No-bombing is the way to go if you want to loop into Novice.
I knew it had something to do with not bombing. In fact, I used a couple of bombs in some tough areas so i wouldn't die.I just couldn't help it no matter how hard i tried. :cry: By the way, I saw your playthroughs on youtube. That was so f**king amazing. It was almost inhuman. :) :o :shock: Also, if you don't mind, I have a few questions to ask you.
1)How did you get so good at this game?
2)Do you have any videos of you looping the training stage?
3)Considering the challenging nature of this game, do you think my training score is good? (I'll be posting my Novice and Expert scores sometime soon)
4)Have you ever uncovered ALL of the gold pyramids in training, and gotten over 100% secrets?
5)Do you think i will ever beat your scores?
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Here are my new scores:
Novice(Bravo)
Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 3480630 - 1-4 - Novice (Bravo) - 2P - Arcade - Playstation

Expert(Charlie)
Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 2805440 - 1-5 - Expert (Charlie) - 2P - Arcade - Playstation
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:Also, if you don't mind, I have a few questions to ask you.
1. After playing DX on and off for a good while, I devoted serious attention to it for several months. I tried to accelerate the learning process in various ways. For example, I mentally divided each level into small chunks and practiced each chunk rigorously via emulator save states. I also bought and studied a Japanese superplay. Before getting into DX, I had spent a lot of time with Raiden I and II.

2. I never got around to recording a Training video. I want to reach 2-1 and make a recording at some point (hopefully sooner rather than later). If you'd like, I could practice a bit and record a run after the shmups forum tourney ends. In the meantime, you might want to check out this run from nicovideo.jp (the player loops into Novice and Expert): 1 2 3 4

3. You're nailing most of Training's key objectives so your score is certainly more than respectable. I think not using any bombs and getting a few 50k surplus bomb bonuses would put you over 5 mil.

4. I've done it a few times. To be honest, I'm not sure what triggers the seventh gold pyramid in the home port. The method that Rando outlines in this thread doesn't always work and I haven't been able to pin down the exact requirements.

5. I think anyone could beat my DX scores given enough practice. With that said, one would probably have to put in quite a bit of time before coming close to my Training or Expert scores (they were intended to be really tough to beat, heh). My Novice score would definitely be the easiest one to approach. I didn't die or bomb in that run but I mistimed several medals.

Glad to see you've been enjoying this awesome game. :) Feel free to let me know if you're having trouble with any particular areas, I'd be happy to provide strats.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Here's a decent improvement in my scores. Emo Fox Jet Pilot - 5203680 - 1-0(c) - Training (Alpha) - 2P - Arcade - Playstation Image
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

You keep getting better and better. I like that tenacity.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

saucykobold wrote:
Feel free to let me know if you're having trouble with any particular areas, I'd be happy to provide strats.
Sorry I haven't got back to you in a while, it's because I just started school again about two months ago. On my new training score I managed to get through the whole stage without dying or bombing(finally!). I also uncovered six gold pyramids, but on the final one, I couldn't destroy in time because I went too far right to avoid enemy shots. Do you have any tips for this area? However, I am happy that I finally broke 5mil. :D , but I am so frustrated that I couldn't destroy the last gold pyramid.Thank you for the videos you gave me the links to. They helped me improve my strategies a little bit.

If you don't mind,just for fun, I would like to share with you some differences that I noticed between the original arcade version and the home port.
[*]The arcade version has better graphics and slightly different sound effects than the home port, such as the explosions from the medium-large tanks and aircraft crashing into the ground being more aggressive and loud than in the home port.
[*]On the arcade version, the explosions from some medium sized tanks(the ones with three cannons), and some naval warships have a light bluish white shockwave around the explosion, which isn't present in the home port.
[*]There is a lot more shrapnel from destroyed enemies in the arcade version.
[*]The explosion sprites from the medium-large tanks(the ones you encounter on the islands in the training stage) are bigger and more detailed in the arcade version.
[*]When you destroy the gray towers in the arcade version, blue shrapnel flies out, and in the home version, reddish-orange shrapnel flies out.
[*]When you uncover a gold pyramid in the arcade version, the shadows are longer than in the home version, making it appear taller.
[*]It seems to me that in the arcade version, the yellow cluster bombs cover a slightly wider area, last a little longer, and produce more aggressive sounds than in the home version.
[*]You probably knew this one already; in the arcade version, there are no gold pyramids in the expert missions.
[*]When you have full power M-missiles in the arcade version, they seem to have a bigger flame coming out right at the moment when they leave the jet.
[*]The arcade version seems to have better music quality and sound effects than the home port.
[*]The rarest enemy in the game is located in the training stage. It is a round tower/container? with the crystal logo on it, right before you fly over the large portion of only forest where you fight the squadron of gray aircraft. It is on the right side of the screen. right before you see the tank come out of the house. I have never seen this anywhere else in the entire game.

Also, what exactly does changing the game speed from normal to arcade do in the home port?

Do you have any idea why the home port has toned-down graphics, sound, and different sprites?

Also, what are your thoughts and opinions on the following questions? Wouldn't a sequel to Raiden DX be awesome(Raiden DX 2), or a remake with new HD graphics, but exactly the same gameplay and features?

Finally, do you play any of these other shmups?
Raiden
Raiden 2
Raiden 3
Raiden 4(I'm curious about his one, it's the only Raiden game I have never played, because I don't have an Xbox 360; I have a PS3)
Viper Phase 1
Raiden Fighters
Raiden Fighters 2
Raiden Fighters Jet
Xeno Fighters
Xeno Fighters EX-R
Strikers 1945
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1945 III
Strikers 1945 Plus
19XX:The War Against Destiny
1941, 1942, 1943, 1944 (the whole series)
Flying Shark
Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
Area 88/UN Squadron
DonPachi
DoDonPachi
DoDonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings (the whole series)
Battle Garegga
Battle Bakraid
Ashura Blaster
Twin Cobra
Sky Soldiers
Desert War
Galaga
1945kIII
Xevious

I hope I'm not bothering you with so many questions. :)
Last edited by Furry Fox Jet Pilot on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Blackbird wrote:You keep getting better and better. I like that tenacity.
Thank you very much. :D
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Also, what exactly does changing the game speed from normal to arcade do in the home port?
tries to emulate the slowdown the arcade version gets. this doesn't work as well as you'd hope it would
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Mills

Post by Mills »

Any decent european replay/superplays of this game?
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Mills wrote:Any decent european replay/superplays of this game?
Icarus has some Training and Novice course runs at super-play.co.uk.
Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:On my new training score I managed to get through the whole stage without dying or bombing(finally!). I also uncovered six gold pyramids, but on the final one, I couldn't destroy in time because I went too far right to avoid enemy shots. Do you have any tips for this area?
Congrats on reaching 5 million!

This video shows a good practical way to destroy the sixth pyramid. At about 12:29, a big square-like vehicle and two small tanks enter the screen. You'll see the player dodge each enemy's initial attack and then uncover the pyramid. Since he has max vulcan and homing missiles, none of these three enemies live long enough to fire a second time and force him off the pyramid's hiding spot. It really helps to expose the pyramid here; if you don't, it'll be much trickier to do so in the coming seconds (there'll be a steady stream of tanks, helis, and shots to contend with).

Once the pyramid is visible, try to stay fairly close to it so that more of your spread shots and missiles connect. Use small taps to dodge shots so you don't go too far to the right. Look for safe chances to do big damage by going underneath the pyramid (or even on top of it for a moment if the opportunity presents itself). It's tough and takes practice, so don't worry if success doesn't come right away.
Do you have any idea why the home port has toned-down graphics, sound, and different sprites?
I'm guessing the technical limitations of the PS1 prevented Seibu from cramming in all of the arcade version's aesthetic niceties. Of the differences you mentioned, the music is probably the biggest one in my mind. The arcade music just sounds a lot nicer than the port's default soundtrack. Also, I love the arcade intro in which the ship rises out of the trees and blasts off.
Wouldn't a sequel to Raiden DX be awesome(Raiden DX 2), or a remake with new HD graphics, but exactly the same gameplay and features?
I love DX so I'd certainly enjoy a game that follows a similar formula. With that said, DX still offers a lot for me to explore and there are literally dozens of good older games that I haven't spent quality time with. All of these will probably keep me busy for years. While I'd welcome a sequel, it's personally not a huge deal since I already have a very full plate. :)
Finally, do you play any of these other shmups?
I like but haven't spent focused time with several of the games you listed (VP1, RF and Strikers series, Flying Shark, etc.). Would like to remedy this at some point! I've spent an embarrassing amount of time with Raiden I and II.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Does anyone know why when you start the training stage, the letters in "Entering Training Stage" are yellow, and sometimes they are green? Could it have something to do with the enemies that appear in the level?
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

I did some searching and found a relevant passage on this page:

最初に「ENTERING TRAINING STAGE」というメッセージが表示される。この文字の色は黄色の時と緑色の時がある。緑色になるのは基板の電源投入後4n-1回目のプレイ時に限る。つまり3回目、7回目、11回目、15回目・・・が緑色。しかしこれにどういう意味があるのかはいまだに不明。

After running this through Google Translate, I gather that the significance (if any) of the colored messages isn't known. You'll get the green one during the third credit after the arcade machine boots up and every fourth credit after.
burgerkingdiamond

BKD - 909,960 - 1-0 (c) - ALPHA - PCB

cleared Alpha, but I'm complete shit at getting medals. I have to put 100% concentration on just staying alive.

I'm pretty happy though, because this was a throwaway run. I played about half the round on my last life. Raiden games can be really exhilarating when you're doing well.

I finally got the best of you fucking sniper tanks!
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Congrats! Did you play on the 1P or 2P side?
burgerkingdiamond

CIT wrote:Congrats! Did you play on the 1P or 2P side?
1P. What's the difference on the 2P side? I only have 1 set of controls hooked up to my cab.
Let's Ass Kick Together!