Vasara and Vasara 2

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Dave_K. wrote: Clearly you can finish the entire game just using the charge attack, and without firing a single shot!
To really score, this is what you have to do :( But I'm not really complaining.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yes, folks, your eyes do NOT deceive you: the guy who runs this topic actually still plays these games! ;)

Vasara:

BulletMagnet - 539,100 - 4 - 97 - Saika

Vasara 2 (Easy):

BulletMagnet - 2,397,900 - 4 - 82 - Sandayu

After having also played Cyvern recently (for some reason I always feel compelled to compare the two), methinks I definitely like the Vasaras better...probably in large part because I find the Vasaras' bullets a good deal easier to see (though not ideally so). Wonder if I'm alone on that...
pugeta

Post by pugeta »

i suck in the fourth boss well my score is
488,620 -4- -90- Sanada
wahahaha u just got PWN3D!!!!!!!!!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Assuming that score was for the first Vasara, scores have been updated. ;)

Almost got 10 separate people on the Vasara scoreboard... :)
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Do either of these games have console releases? What are they like? Thanks!
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Nope, no console releases for either game. PCB or emulation only. And you'd probably enjoy both of them, as they both are a lot like Psikyo's games...only with no actual shooting (if you're playing for score, that is).
now tighter than your sister
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Too bad. I guess someday I'm going to have to learn to emu. Thanks, crithit.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

crithit5000 wrote:And you'd probably enjoy both of them, as they both are a lot like Psikyo's games...only with no actual shooting (if you're playing for score, that is).
Hmm, I'm not sure I 100 percent agree with the "Psikyo" comment...most of the bullets are a similar orange color, but gameplay-wise I wouldn't put it as close to Psikyo as I might something else...I tend to consider Psikyo games as memorizers disguised as manics, since you need a lot of memorization to get through, because your hitbox usually isn't too small and lots of shots are far too fast to dodge (or bomb) if you don't know they're coming. Vasara gives you a bit more "breathing room" with the ability to swat bullets away, not to mention a smaller hitbox. Obviously there's still SOME memorization involved, but not as much as Psikyo's stuff, imo.

But yeah, unfortunately neither of the games ever made it home...a Vasara Deluxe Pack would be a dream come true for me, heh heh.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Well, I meant Psikyo-like in the ways you didn't mention (not counting the orange bullets)...stuff like how the power-up/bomb icons move and give bonuses for collecting ones at full power, waiting for gold to flash white for an extra bonus, bosses that change form 3 or 4 times a fight...stuff like that. Hell, some of the popcorn drone formations remind me a lot of Gunbird for some reason...>shrugs<...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

crithit5000 wrote:waiting for gold to flash white for an extra bonus, bosses that change form 3 or 4 times a fight...
Do the points vary by those means? To be perfectly honest I never even noticed...I'll hafta keep my eyes open for it next time. If it does exist as such, then it's definitely inspired by Psikyo's stuff, they're the only shmups I can think of who've included such a system (other than the Vasaras, of course).
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Proof of the gold thing-

It might be hard to tell, but the first image is 500 off of randomly grabbing the gold and the second image is 6000...I'm not sure if that's maximum or not.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Strike that...there's two kinds of gold piles. Large and small. The small ones dump out 500 points with no flash, and give 3000 on a flash. The 6000 ones are from the larger piles, and I believe that's from the flash...not sure, I'll have to study a input replay or something.

Oh, and-

crithit5000 - 567,330 - 4 - 105 - Saika

I swear I'll add to the Vasara 2 board, damnit. :oops:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll definitely have to keep that in mind next time I play. :) Score updated, too.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

A small improvement for Vasara:

Tar-Palantir - 1,045,950 - Stage 6 - 172 - Magoichi
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Vasara:
crithit5000 - 600,600 - 4 - Saika - 102

And finally, Vasara 2 (hard)

crithit5000 - 3,053,950 - 3 - 71 - Sandayu
BBH

Post by BBH »

Vasara 2, Easy Mode:
BBH - 8,141,400 - 6 - 138 - Sandayu

seconds away from beating the last boss :(
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

BBH wrote:Vasara 2, Easy Mode:

OK.. can you give me some advice on beating Takegawa Kazumasu (the stage 4 boss)? I always go to pieces at him.
BBH

Post by BBH »

Tar-Palantir wrote:
BBH wrote:Vasara 2, Easy Mode:

OK.. can you give me some advice on beating Takegawa Kazumasu (the stage 4 boss)? I always go to pieces at him.
well, that score came from a MAME recording I did about 6 months ago, so the game isn't entirely fresh in my mind... but of course I did re-watch it, so anyways.

I don't think I had much trouble with the first form of the boss (with the lobster claws). Just keep using charge attacks. For the second form, ditch the charge attack and just start firing normally to do damage instead. The attack pattern where it covers one side of the screen with orange bullets while simulatneously sending off groups of three purple bullets looks a bit scary, but all you have to do is stay on one side dodging the purple bullets, and once the sea of orange bullets ceases on one side, get over there since it'll then start covering the other half with orange bullets. It then fires a large spread of bullets, go to either the bottom left or right corner and use your charge attack to clear out the orange bullets, the purple bullets are slow enough to easily dodge. Of course the worst part of this boss is the attack it does when it's almost dead, where it covers the entire screen with bullets. I don't know if there's any safe spot here (the top of the screen, maybe?), so all I can say is that you should really try to save at least one "bomb" so you can survive that last attack and hopefully kill him with it. Just keep your finger on the bomb button once his orb turns red, because then his killer attack is coming soon.

I don't know if that helped any but that's about all the advice I can give without knowing which specific part of the boss was troubling you :P I tend to have more problems with the 3rd boss than the 4th boss, go figure.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Thanks then :) The tricky part is when he switches between the left-and-right bullet sweeps to the more general bullet spread and (of course) the final attack. I was trying to charge-attack him for the first and that often messed up my timing for when he switches attacks.

I can try and return the favour...what part of the stage 3 boss is tricky for you? I don't attempt any charge attacks with him, and I found it important to stay off-center from the boss; the bullet attacks from his arms then don't meet exactly where you were (I will see if I have a pic for that). For his spear attack, staying at the corner works. When he 'opens out' to look like a butterfly, the only nasty attack are the four homing shots tipped with the purple bullets. Otherwise charge attacks can take care of his final form (a bomb can help)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Vasara - PCB

233,350 2-58 Maeda
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yay! 10 different score contenders for Vasara! :) Though, of course, we'll eagerly take more! :D
Brian

Post by Brian »

Vasara - PCB

304,760 3-82 Maeda
Brian

Post by Brian »

One more score for today. I just got this PCB from Kemical and have been really into it.

Vasara - PCB

363,880 4-90 Maeda
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

For future scores, please submit them in the format listed in the first post of this thread, so they're a bit easier to transfer to the "official" list. Otherwise, keep 'em coming, glad you're enjoying the game. :)
DeSangre

Post by DeSangre »

6. DeSangre - 524,190 - 4 - ??? - Maeda

Is maeda the slow character right?
Sorry for not writing down the prestige kills, hope to update that pretty soon :)
This is actually one of my fave shmups of all time, and I only discovered it now :(
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

DeSangre wrote:Is maeda the slow character right?
IIRC he's the slowest of the three, yeah...the guy with the spear, right?
DeSangre

Post by DeSangre »

Yes, I find him so much better than the sword guy! And usually I like faster characters... Oh well, I'll give the girl a try later.
DeSangre

Post by DeSangre »

DeSangre - 550,240 - 4 - ??? - Maeda

ARGH forgot again to check the prestige kills!

Anyway it's incredible how my games ar efull of stupid deaths:
this game is a good example:

I'm at the 4th boss, finally I got there with 2 lives in stock, ok. I lose a life stupidly but kinda fairly.

Then I get the vasara and my brain goes like "AHA! I'll shoot the vasara attack and I'll put him out! He can't hit me while I fire it!"

He "couldn't" if it weren't for its laser attack which my brain totally forgot :D
DeSangre

Post by DeSangre »

DeSangre - 637,830 - 5 - ??? - Maeda

Sigh, please have mercy.
The next time I don't post the prestige kills I allow you not to accept my score.

:D

So close to third place :(
Got too fearful in stage 5, but was lucky enough to get a 35,000 points vasara attack there.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hee hee, not a huge deal. But IIRC the prestige kills are listed right alongside your score, stage reached, etc. on the HS list, so you should be able to just check there if you want to know the number of those.