Shikigami no Shiro 2 (all systems)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
BER

Post by BER »

Bill wrote:Just out of curiosity BER, do you know if the PS2 version's "No Wait" setting will eliminate all slowdown from the game?
With the US version of the game, I played with wait off for about an hour, and I noticed no slowdown at all.

Keep in mind, however, that there is slowdown on the arcade version that won't occur on the PS2 version when wait is off. One of the bullet patterns in the game that's usually easy to dodge from afar becomes suddenly hard when wait is off.

Also, I just realized that whenever the game in the Appreciate DVD slowed down, the PS2 version with wait on slowed down, too; when there's no slowdown on the DVD, there's no slowdown on the PS2 version either. It's just that when the slowdown does occur, the PS2 version slows down significantly more than on the arcade and PC versions.

I have also played the DC version for a few hours, but I don't remember what the slowdown was like...
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
BIL

Post by BIL »

BER wrote:Also, I just realized that whenever the game in the Appreciate DVD slowed down, the PS2 version with wait on slowed down, too; when there's no slowdown on the DVD, there's no slowdown on the PS2 version either. It's just that when the slowdown does occur, the PS2 version slows down significantly more than on the arcade and PC versions.
Interesting... sounds like the PS2 one's slowdown emulation is a bit off, despite being able to eliminate it entirely. I do remember it seeming entirely slowdown-free when I played it briefly, but this was years ago and I wasn't really paying attention to that (and I didn't know what this "Wait" option even did).

From what I understand the DC version is close to arcade-perfect, but has no "Wait" options at all (ie, you get slowdown whether you want it or not). I might end up sticking with the PC version I'm currently playing. I'm fond of ports with no-wait options, but usually put slowdown on for scoring competion, and having more than normal doesn't sound good. Thanks again!
BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Chibi Fumiko (PS2 ver.):
BER - 3,816,305,180 - Fumiko2 - 17,416 - All

I was bored of practice mode at work again, so I played through a full run today. And I was pleasantly surprised with the result. I stayed in practice mode for about 18 hours before trying a full run. But my stage goals for the early stages were too high for me to reach. So I spent about another 8 hours practicing mostly the later stages, so I don't need to score so high in the early stages. And the practice greatly paid off.

I'll speed on over to Roger, now.
bitkid

Re: Shikigami no Shiro 2 (all systems)

Post by bitkid »

I have seen Bernard's Shiki runs on VHS and I can attest that this man knows how to do work!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Any possibility of putting the videos somewhere to download? I already have the superplay DVD, but I'd love to watch BER play!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
BER

Post by BER »

Hehe, thanks, bitkid!
Plasmo wrote:Any possibility of putting the videos somewhere to download? I already have the superplay DVD, but I'd love to watch BER play!
Unfortunately, the VHS tapes belong to my workplace. I'd most likely be fired if I try to smuggle them out.

I have replays from the PC version, but I don't know of anyone who can encode them to a video.
BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Roger Sasuke (PS2 ver.):
BER - 4,322,916,300 - Roger2 - 18,304 - All

Roger's another tough character to use. Most of the time, I need to be at point-blank range on enemies, and that's always scary. Sure, I can retreat afterwards. But with his fast speed, I tend to run into bullets or, out of fear, keep myself too far away from bullets and enemies for the x8 multiplier.

Despite these issues, I managed to get this high of a score without losing a life. Amazing...

I'll analyze the replay tomorrow to see where I messed up, because I intend to improve this score a little more. But offhand, I messed up stage 3-2. I can usually get an x8 item count of about 1,800 before the boss, but I only wound up with about 1,100. As for the other stages, my ending x8 item count is about 200 items fewer than usual for each stage, so I didn't achieve anything astonishing.
BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Roger Sasuke (PS2 ver.):
BER - 4,486,503,530 - Roger2 - 21,449 - All

My stage 5-1 score was horrendous -- when I saw that I only got about 1,100 coins at x8 by the end of the stage trip, I was a little disheartened. But I did rather well in stages 3-1 and 3-2 (usually my other two weak-scoring stages), so the final result turned out all right.

I'm tired of all the danger that comes with Roger, so I'll stand back and snipe stuff with Fumiko now.
BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Fumiko O.V. (PS2 ver.):
BER - 3,755,652,130 - Fumiko1 - 17,409 - All

I've been practicing with Fumiko for about 25 hours, and I got bored of it, so I tried to do a full run. I nearly botched this run, too. I had two lives and five bombs going into the stage 5-1 boss's second form. I used two bombs as usual, and then I saw that the life bar for this form was about to run out. So I rushed in and planted an explosive on the boss's face so I can get some extra coins at x8. Of course, I ate a bullet instead, and I had to play it safe with the one life that I have for the rest of the run.

The lesson? Don't try to be cute and take advantage of an opportunity that you don't know how to take advantage of.

Anyway, I was figuring out whether Fumiko or Roger was harder to use for high scores. The nice thing about Fumiko is that the time bonuses make up a larger portion of her score than Roger at least. So if I get a crappy x8 coin count in a stage, it wouldn't hurt me too much. Roger has more coin-collecting potential, though, so I can't afford to mess up my shikigami attacks as much as I can do with Fumiko. And it's so easy to mess that up with him, so I don't feel like playing as him anymore.

Now I'll go back to Kuga and see whether I can bang out a quick new personal best.
BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Kohtaro Kuga (PC ver.)
BER - 4,839,878,770 - Kuga2 - 27,208 - All

It's been a long time since I tried playing a shmup after work (overtime hours, too!). I was tired, but this game perked me up. Looks like I won't get much sleep tonight, though...

I was scared of the stage 5-1 boss (still am), so I decided to suicide in stage 4-2 to get an extra bomb. But I ended up wasting it immediately afterward on some random bullet barrage. I should stop doing that.

I'll put up my embarrassing replay when I feel like it. I still intend to improve this score by the end of this week, though.
BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Kohtaro Kuga (PC ver.):
BER - 4,897,611,030 - Kuga2 - 28,179 - All

Got this this morning. The lowlight of this run was that I lost seven lives...

I'll keep plugging away at this...
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

You're 5th now, good going! :)
I like chocolate milk

BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Kohtaro Kuga (PC ver.):
BER - 4,972,611,410 - Kuga2 - 29,106 - All

This is the run I wanted. The score's not over five billion, but I'll take it for now. Here's the replay for the PC version:

http://shmups.com/beepreying/bbs/kuga_4 ... 270636.dat

I don't know where I'll go from here. I took up this game, because I could play the PS2 version at work during the weekdays (I'm usually too tired to play at home after work). Plus I could see how the Arcadia record holders got their scores, so that eliminated pretty much all other PS2 shmups. But my work contract is about to expire, so I want to rethink what shmup I want to play from here.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Replay saved and I will watch it in home.
I still guess you would can hit 5 billions before retirement, since you have great experience whit this game. :D
Cool!
BER

Post by BER »

Normal Game, Kim de John (PS2 ver.):
BER - 5,136,972,310 - Kim2 - 28,244 - All

Yeay, I beat Rando's score...

This run was unexpected, actually. It's been so long since I did a full run. I wanted to do so on the PC version at home, so to prepare for that, I played on the PS2 version at work (my contract was renewed again!). But after getting this result, I'm better off getting a good night's rest and going back into practice mode. Good night...
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

:shock: Cool!
BER

Post by BER »

Meanwhile, on the Shikigami front...

Normal Game, Kim de John (PS2 ver.):
BER - 5,242,866,430 - Kim2 - 29,774 - All

Nothing surprising here. Just all that practice finally coming together. Next up is Hyuga and his bag of tricks.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Decided to completely redesign the opening post, because BER is too awesome. Hope you like it and keep these excellent scores coming please. :wink:
BTW you have 5/8 of the first places now!
I like chocolate milk

TLB

Post by TLB »

Man, seeing BER rape this shit really makes me want to get competitive at scoring this game :)
xris

Post by xris »

Normal-ps2
xris-2,254,059,600-Kim2-2434-All
I think I can still do a little better, 5-1 went really crazy on me, barely made it through on this run. Rank, maybe?
xris

Post by xris »

Really wanted this to be for an All, but I just got a few saturn shmips. So, yeah..
xris-1,984,881,110-Sayo1-3056-5-2
Choked on one of the easiest final bosses ever, lame.
I'll come back to this score
clp

Post by clp »

Normal- (pc ver.)
clp-3,396,785,610-Kim2-9118-All

M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Arcade Mode (GC)
M.Knight - 3,557,507,690 - Sayo2 - 14,684 - 5-2
So pissed off at dying at the very last attack. I had one last bomb and tried to use it to get over with the run but it didn't trigger for some reason.

Extreme Mode (GC)
M.Knight - 1,878,041,230 - Kuga1 - 9,847 - 3-2
Playing with Kuga on the regular Arcade mode makes scoring a bit too easy but in extreme mode, it is cool to see how far you can go with him.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Arcade Mode (GC)
M.Knight - 3,696,319,830 - Sayo1 - 14,642 - ALL

I cleared it this time! :D
Maybe I should try to include boss milking in my future runs, but it is very risky and extends are not as frequent as in Shiki 3.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Prinny

Post by Prinny »

Normal (PS2):
Prinny - 3,452,273,930 - Sayo1 - 12,916 - ALL

Screenshot

Spent about a week relearning and optimizing my stage routes. Managed to not screw up this run too badly.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Arcade Kuga
M.Knight - 3,749,868,440 - Kuga1 -17,723 - ALL (PC)
Spoiler
Arcade Sayo
M.Knight - 3,696,319,830 - Sayo1 - 14,642 - ALL (GC)

Arcade Kim
M.Knight - 2,060,260,840 - Kim2 - 8,634 - 3-2 (GC)

Arcade Niigi G.B.
M.Knight - 2,232,434,770 - Niigi1 - 4,312 - ALL (PC)
Spoiler
Mishi

Post by Mishi »

Well I got my first clear on this so I'm excited. Gonna keep on working on this still though and see how far past 3B I can get, but wanted to share anyways. :)

Mishi - 2,964,384,360 - Fumiko1 - 9674 - ALL

Play Guilty Gear
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Nice to see some love for this series lately, keep on!
Mishi

Post by Mishi »

Yes, these Shikigami games have become my favorite.

I decided to try finding some replays for this game to help see what I'm missing with how much score other can still get, but I haven't found anything for Fumiko. I did find a good Sayo one though , and it looks like stage 2 boss final phase is worth a lot with how many disks he shoots out. Seems difficult to kill them with Fumiko though, setting up both the tension shot and reticle perfectly...

Do you get more coins for clearing more layers at once on the puzzle cube boss? That would seem the easiest way for now to consistently boost score then if I plan that out.
Play Guilty Gear
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Mishi wrote:Yes, these Shikigami games have become my favorite.

I decided to try finding some replays for this game to help see what I'm missing with how much score other can still get, but I haven't found anything for Fumiko. I did find a good Sayo one though , and it looks like stage 2 boss final phase is worth a lot with how many disks he shoots out. Seems difficult to kill them with Fumiko though, setting up both the tension shot and reticle perfectly...

Do you get more coins for clearing more layers at once on the puzzle cube boss? That would seem the easiest way for now to consistently boost score then if I plan that out.
From that I remember you do. You can ask for replays in discord, pretty sure which someone can help you there.