PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

yay, I started runs!
failed at stage 4 and 5 this time

PROMETHEUS - 233,649,090 - B-E - 1-5 - 1975
jpj

Post by jpj »

better increase your hit counter to +2000, or elf will give you shit
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
RGC

Post by RGC »

Not posting a score til I hit 100m :evil:
jpj

Post by jpj »

:shock:

i like your style :!:
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

fucking need more hits there, prometheus.
RGC

Post by RGC »

jpj wrote::shock:

i like your style :!:
No style, just pig-headedness. Probably won't see that score til 2012. :P
jpj

Post by jpj »

nah man, go for it :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Failed at stage 4 but not 5 this time. You might want to see the replay because even though the chain in stage 4 broke, I successfully chained through the 1up-canon.

PROMETHEUS - 433,011,640 - B-E - 2-1 - 2829

Replays for the 433M score
Replays for the 233M score

The replays are memory cards from the emulator, you can download them and read them with any PS2 emulator... The 233M run doesn't have all its stages recorded, the first 2 are from the previous runs I think.
jpj

Post by jpj »

tasty 8)

presumably the chain break happened on the section after the 1up cannon?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

no, before, and there were 2 of them. Then another during the horizontally moving turrets.
jpj

Post by jpj »

ah, i see. well done so far :D
CRI

Post by CRI »

5. CRI - 263,275,360 - A-E - 2-1 - 1947

broken combo with a stupide death at the beginning of stage 5.
after that i chained through the 3 midbosses and lost my chain again after the 2nd bee past the 3rd midboss.
yeah could have been more but i'm happy that i got my sonic boom back at this game.
jpj

Post by jpj »

great stuff CRI :D

welcome back, and sonic boom! :wink:
Bort

Post by Bort »

Another dreadful score from myself. Had DOJ in the EII over the easter weekend and have only put a few hours in to it. DOJ is going to join Ketsui on the 'few more steps until I can fully enjoy it' shelf.

Bort(RHS) - 16,847,440 - B-E - 1-3 - 549 Hit

Pic.
jpj

Post by jpj »

welcome aboard mate :)
not far from the first extend there.

also (and for everyone) you are able to submit scores with both ship types :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

PROMETHEUS - 449,353,550 - B-E - 1-5 - 2865

no replays for this one, deleted them unpurposely by loading a savestate :[ Loading a savestate also resets the memory card's content to what it was when the savestate was created, which is St00pid.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

PROMETHEUS wrote: no replays for this one, deleted them unpurposely by loading a savestate :[ Loading a savestate also resets the memory card's content to what it was when the savestate was created, which is St00pid.
huh?
is that a glitch or kinda? nothing similar ever happened to me?
Or do you play this via emulator?

EDIT: ok i noticed you do by scolling up
jpj

Post by jpj »

done
CRI

Post by CRI »

3. CRI - 102,873,620 - B-E - 1-5 - 1078 Hit

got this type b score on my 2nd try.
i don't like the ship speed of type b so i stick to type a.
this score is just to fill the type b tabel.
jpj

Post by jpj »

thanks CRI :D
ave

Post by ave »

Will have a go on Type B as well.. but I hate this ship. After playing Ketsui with Tiger-Schwert for quite some time I also felt pretty uncomfortable in DOJ (type-A). As if the ship was moving on a butter-impregnated ground, hellish fast and slippery.
THE ETERNAL
malik11

Post by malik11 »

I should have at least a good fifty years of life ahead of me, but this will probably remain my proudest accomplishment. XD
A contribution to the joint effort at filling the type B score table:

4. malik11 - 96,752,850 - B-L - 2-2 - 1320 Hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSTJb4uvPs
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

youtubing your replay is a nice initiative~!
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
CRI

Post by CRI »

am i allowed to post here without a hat? :wink:

here is the replay from my 263 mill run:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GORSPKG1

stage 3 is not my best at this run and at stage 4 i was not really playing for score.
after the first bomb use at st. 5 i tryed to go for the one live remaining bonus.
but right befor the boss i used a bomb and hold the bomb button to long.
so i activate a hyper item right befor the boss. :lol: :roll:

have fun with the replay and plz feedback. :)

btw: i will try to get a better image-quality at my next replay.
jpj

Post by jpj »

okay, i download VLC and watch this replay, but i don't know if i should make a comment until i see you in a top hat :wink:

stage 1, there are some bits you make more difficult than necessary, like the first large turret. it's easier when lasering to move across to the right and destroy the tanks, then move back to centre to kill the turret, and then take out the tanks and bee to the left. and maybe you could activate your first hyper a bit sooner. but if you have no problems with your techniques, it's not really an issue :) you collect the last bee the easier method, which i do the same :) nice style on stage 1 boss too (i should really make a route to start stage 2 with 4 hypers as well :oops: )

stage 2, no comments, very nice :D i don't know if maybe you would like my style for stage 2 boss, which is to laser at the top of the screen, sitting on top of him. and then as he fires first bullets, activate hyper. you will be invincible for some seconds, and chain counter goes very high very quickly, although slightly more difficult

stage 3, when lasering the first large ship, get used to how long he takes to die (this is different depending on if you are full power, or you lose a life on stage 2 boss), and as soon as he dies, go to C shot, to keep the chain. and after midboss, when you activate hyper, you can use C shot sitting in bottom-right, before sweeping into the middle and use laser. minor point, but makes it easier. the part where you lose the chain towards the end, you need to hold laser while in hyper mode, and slowly move into the centre. there will be two enemies leaving the screen to the upper right, use the C shot :) then laser and continue the chain. for the boss, more risky (hey, this is my style!), but i hyper straight away. his last pattern is very tricky, and if you need a bomb to get through it, if you start with 1 hyper 1 bomb and empty gauge, it is better. because if you survive for a long time and don't use hyper, you may die and lose the hyper (like your replay), use hyper (and maybe the bomb also) for surviving his last patterns, but it is a slight waste. best is to hyper at the start i think. if you think you might die, you can bomb, and maybe also suicide, to start stage 4 with a hyper. or if you survive his first few attacks, you will generate enough hyper gauge for another hyper, then bomb his last pattern (this is how i do it anyway :oops: )

stage 4, nice chain at the start considering you have no hypers :) where you lose the chain at 143 hits.. what you need to do is after destroying that turret at the left, release the laser. tanks will be moving left to right. tap C shot in the middle of the screen to kill him, and then straight away go to laser, and uncover *two* bees. the one in front of you, and also the one that is just coming on to the screen. as one happens straight after the other, it gives you enough time to move your laser to the turret at the right to continue the chain :) nice job on making the transition after the wall :) when destroying the enemies after though, you need to *tap* C button, and try to kill them as slowly as possible. then kill two large ships at the left, uncover the bee, and activate hyper. then immediately hold C at left of screen, and with some luck, the chain will continue into diagonal platforms sections (although this whole area is very tricky). no comments about 1up cannon, i hate that bit :x although section after, you could have hypered earlier. trouble is, on first cannon on horizontal rail, you need to do tap A technique 2 or 3 times to connet the chain :roll: great job on the first form of stage 4 boss :D i hate the pattern with swirling blue bullets :evil: hyper was a bit early, but you got the tight pattern of rotating turrets on second form straight away, so it's all good :)

stage 5, i felt really bad at the first death there. cruel game :( the bit straight after with the three tanks that come out, after the second, release laser and C shot all small tanks, then laser last big tank on right, then release laser. small point, but slightly easier :) midboss, you do technique i try so many times and fail, by using late hyper. i am jealous! :P sometimes, it is better to hyper just as he starts to come towards you at the bottom (actually i don't know, i fuck it up either way :roll: ). if you can do it consistent with the late hyper, i would say stick with that as it makes the honey combs slightly easier. the section before the 2nd midboss, you are in the middle of the screen just before the end. is slightly easier to make all sweeps, and herd the enemies (in case you accidentally kill too many with C shot). but it worked for you, so maybe not an issue :) some bad luck with enemies on the second half of the stage (they just didn't want to die!) which caused some difficulty. you make some great improvised dodging here also :D and also very nice on stage 5 boss's last pattern :D

no comments about 2-1. i never have even practiced this stage yet :oops: (just hold C and dodge! :lol: )

i am sure i say many things which you already know about, but that it is my impressions. video quality is okay and fine for watching :) and i am totally sure with some better luck on stage 5, you beat this score easily! :D so goodluck, i can see more big scores from CRI in the future :!:

now where is your top hat? 8)
malik11

Post by malik11 »

@CRI: I'm really in no position to dispense criticism, especially considering your score. But, I think I can impart some advice involving technical information.

My one piece of advice is primarily about the first two stages. As jpj said, you activate the first hyper a little late. My concern with this is specifically that you should try to avoid having to pick up golden bees while you are in a hyper-ed state. Your hyper meter will increase much more if you collect the bees while not in a hyper-ed state. The same applies to your strategy after the midboss in stage two. I think you could benefit from collecting all the bees on screen just before activating your hypers.

As for compliments, in your survival skill I saw similarities to myself, until stage five--when you became a super-demon of ultra-dodging prowess. Personally, I don't know how you all fare so well in the honey comb section. I have only just very recently reached a point where I can almost survive that portion. Does this come naturally to you players, or did you have to work hard at it?
jpj

Post by jpj »

honey-comb is a bitch.

last night, i had +200m going into stage 5, starting with two hypers. did the midboss, and continued the chain (as this is the bit i make the most mistakes/bad luck on, i was getting excited). and then bocked out on the honeycombs anyways :roll: you need to have a clear route planned through it, but those "needle" blue bullets (like the bullets of stage 2 boss) are a pain. and sometimes you just get a really nasty "spread" that are difficult to get through. a lot of it is moving up the screen and bullet-herding though :)
jpj

Post by jpj »

this is what i like - a whole page of top hat awesomeness! 8)
and in a DOJ thread as well :!: ... :D
CRI

Post by CRI »

thx for the awesome feedback jpj! :)
that was exactly the kind of feedback i was hoping for. :D
midboss, you do technique i try so many times and fail, by using late hyper. i am jealous!
if i don't die at that midboss and hold the combo till he starts his 1st pattern again i'm 100% sure chain conecting will work.
just make sure you are not in the middle of the screen.
once he start his 1st patter again look at what he is doing.

if he is on the left and stay there just activate hyper and point blank him.
hold the laser untill he die and when the chain is conectet change to c button.
just make sure you on the left of the screen and not in the middle.

if he is on the left and start to move to the right hold your laser a bit longer and activate your hyper and point blank once he pass the middle of the screen.
after that same as above but just with the right side.

if everything fail and the midboss start his 2nd pattern on the right side of the screen don't panic. (i mean the part were you can't get the bee that easy if you fail)
if that happen just hold your combo till he is on the left were he is covering the bee.
now activate hyper and get the bee. (this will also do aura damage)
because of the aura damage he die faster and i think more popcorn enemy appear when he die.
because of that conecting the cain will be more easy.
just hold laser till it conect and change to c.
i only had to use this plan b like 3 or 4 times but success was 100%.
also i think with that plan b it dosent matter were you stand at the screen when the boss die.

hope that helped a bit.

will post more latter.
i'm a sucker at writing in english so this post took me like what?
20 min. :oops:

EDIT:
am i allowed to post here without a hat?
fixed
now where is your top hat?
and done. :)
CRI

Post by CRI »

malik11 wrote:@CRI: I'm really in no position to dispense criticism, especially considering your score. But, I think I can impart some advice involving technical information.
any feedback is welcome.
especially if it's usefull like yours. :)

i will try to hyper earlier at st. 1 and collect the 3 bee's at the end of st. 2 (were i uesed hyper at my video) without hyper mode.
maybe that will give me another hyper item at this point.
the section before the 2nd midboss, you are in the middle of the screen just before the end. is slightly easier to make all sweeps, and herd the enemies (in case you accidentally kill too many with C shot).
will sure try that.
what you see in the replay at this part is more improvise chaining.
no comments about 2-1. i never have even practiced this stage yet (just hold C and dodge! )
even if i rarely make the loop i think i will start practise that.
it really don't look to hard to chain. (more to stay alive)
so if you get that stage down you get to the boss with one bomb in stock and maybe even a hyper.
2-all here i come. :lol:

if you prefer to talk about that in the strategy thread let me know.