RayCrisis (AC,PS1,PC,iOS,Android,PS4,NS)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Goompaolo9500

Re: RayCrisis (AC,PSX,PC,iOS)

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Are we supposed to be destroyed?
Goompaolo9500-DNX-5710290-WR-03-21-37%-B [B-,B-,C+]-62%-Normal iOS

Anyways, Merry Christmas, Shmups Forum!
Last edited by Goompaolo9500 on Thu May 30, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Wow, what image editing software do you use? It almost looks like in real life.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Plasmo wrote:Wow, what image editing software do you use? It almost looks like in real life.
I used PowerPoint.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Goompaolo9500 wrote:Are we supposed to be destroyed?

See more details below:

Sorry for the reply, new year celebrations and all. So happy new year all! Updated the rankings, good luck on getting that good ending!... I don't think I've even seen it yet. :roll:
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Carmen wrote:
Goompaolo9500 wrote:Are we supposed to be destroyed?

See more details below:

Sorry for the reply, new year celebrations and all. So happy new year all! Updated the rankings, good luck on getting that good ending!... I don't think I've even seen it yet. :roll:
Good ending? This may be hard for some of you but beating the final boss without any lives lost (Lives is still 3(2)) will lead to encountering Infinity. That ought to be a good ending chance. I saw some longplays about that. Thank you.

Farewell.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Goompaolo9500-DNX-6,069,820-WR-03-0-6%-B [C+,B,A]-61%-Normal iOS
Great. I got a game over when encountering Infinity. At least that was an experience. Also, based on my experience, experiencing the TLB is possible by completing the stages without losing lives except during DisHuman battle.

Farewell.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Updated! I never got to Infinity back then, I think the furthest I got was ALMOST beating Dishuman. Also I tried playing this game tonight on a whim... have entirely forgotten how to play :roll: I almost wonder with the WR-02R if it's better to just avoid getting lock-on upgrades in order to use the hyper laser more often. Also how to unlock the R-Greys again? Beating Special Mode didn't do the trick...
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

Carmen wrote:Updated! I never got to Infinity back then, I think the furthest I got was ALMOST beating Dishuman. Also I tried playing this game tonight on a whim... have entirely forgotten how to play :roll: I almost wonder with the WR-02R if it's better to just avoid getting lock-on upgrades in order to use the hyper laser more often. Also how to unlock the R-Greys again? Beating Special Mode didn't do the trick...
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/370862-rayc ... ion/cheats
Beat it in Original Mode.
Special Mode is different.

Farewell.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Been a long time lurker of this thread. It's one of my goals to finally 1cc this game since I love it so much, so I might as well post a progress update.
Granted I think there may be a little too much info to keep track of on the scoreboard. It's very intimidating!

EmperorIng - E-C - 3,482,400 - WR-01R - 12 - 33 - C+ [B- , C+ , - ] - 49% - Normal PSX
Carmen

Re: RayCrisis (AC,PS1,PC,iOS)

Post by Carmen »

Welcome aboard! Great to see interest is still strong in this game in 2020! I'm also thinking of picking up this game again soon, maybe I'll get to 1cc it myself one day (maybe :roll: ). Look forward to your new scores!
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for being diligent towards this topic all these years! Your work has not gone unappreciated. You'll surely get that 1cc if you put in the time. :D

I myself just got a new personal best, reaching Con-Human for the first time! (that I can remember, that is)
I choked as soon as the music picked up in though. Hopefully I'll make it back again!

EmperorIng - E-C - 4,568,620 - WR-01R - 6 - 43 - C+ [B , C+ , C ] - 49% - Normal PSX

Something pretty awesome happened in one of my runs. I had managed to get Encroachment down on Memory, lower than I ever had at the beginning of the stage (right after the first big carrier comes in). Then afterward, whole different enemy formations, which I never experienced, started coming! I was used to that section when Encroachment was 20% or higher, but below that it gave me a real surprise! It's so fun to have the game still surprise me after all these years.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Ahh sorry, been a busy couple of weeks. Good job on the improvement! Look forward to your upcoming scores :mrgreen:

Heh, I remember Con-Human being a beast. In fact, I don't think I ever got past it in Arcade mode. There was an attack with layered laser bursts that always got me. At least, that's what I remember from some ten years ago...

Yes the encroachment system is indeed very interesting, gives this game even more variety than it already has! Not only do you have the stages which differ depending on which order they are in, but then the patterns and enemies will be completely altered depending on encroachment, it's really quite amazing! I can't think of many other shooters which have a similar mechanic.
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

There was a recent Japanese shmup event on Twitch that featured several runs of RayCrisis (you can find those runs here). They were a great deal of fun to watch and it inspired me to dust off the ps1 copy and get a new PB! I died just as I triggered Dis-Human's second phase. I just wish I didn't fuck up and got to push myself a little farther, but a personal best is a best!

EmperorIng - E-C - 5,046,220 - WR-01R - 10 - 46 - B- [B , B- , C ] - 55% - Normal PSX

You see that? Died right during the first phase's death animation! What a bummer. Still, feels good to go back to this game!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Double post, but this is exciting, because I managed my first-ever clear of Special Mode! I had choked a lot to Infinity many times years past, but all my arcade practice made me want to give a shot at this with my 'improved' skills. Luckily I cleared on my last life. I was sure I was a goner. What a great arrange mode. Awesome color palette, new tunes, new enemy placements make it feel drastically different from arcade. It also has extends which gives it more of a forgiving edge than the Arcade mode.

EmperorIng - E-C - 67,946,940 - WR-01R - 0.0000 - 67 - n/a - 1 - Normal PSX

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Hey, sorry for the late reply; nice stuff! Congrats on the Special Mode clear! Yeah, it is a very fun addition and it's great to see Taito wanted to show home users some love when porting the game over :D I'm sure you'll be able to improve on your scores before long! I need to get back into this game too... been too long!
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

https://youtu.be/6c6aENClBWA

PS1 Original Mode
maximo-10,223,810 - WR-01R - 50-45-C+[C +, C, C] - 70% - Normal PSX

This run is my 4th 1cc of the game. I chose to play on PS1 because the Dis-Human glitch in MAME still isn't fixed ( when dis-human does his big laser attack on his second phase, the game freezes and soft resets). Mainly picked the map out of boss familiarity & stage layout so that I could be ok resource-wise against Infinity. I'll probably try to improving my chaining at some point in the future.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Nice! Also very cool codename! :3 WR-01R has a lot of potential for scoring so look forward to more entries from you!
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Carmen

Re: RayCrisis (AC,PS1,PC,iOS... PS4 and NS soon!)

Post by Carmen »

In celebration of procuring a preorder of the upcoming Ray'z Arcade set, I decided to pop in RayCrisis... despite not remembering what to do, I somehow managed to get a new PB in Special Mode. I somehow got two of those x2 gems to materialise, maybe that was it? Still felt like I was playing poorly, so much so that I didn't bother to jot down the details after the run finished, all I remembered was that I only had one life left :roll: I will try again one of these days...

Meanwhile the Original score update is also from a while back... I want to redo both of these so I can at least get some more info jotted down...

Carmen / CS / 114 488 730 / WR-02R / ?.???? / ?? / n/a / 1 / PS1

Carmen / CS / 10 501 870 / WR-02R / ? / ? / ? |? ,? ,? | / ? / PS1

"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
EmperorIng

Re: RayCrisis (AC,PS1,PC,iOS,Android... PS4 and NS soon!)

Post by EmperorIng »

You are going to love not having 1 second to write down your info in the new Ray boxset man. I have been doing nothing but playing RayCrisis since it arrived at my doorstep!

And finally I fulfilled a long-held dream of mine, which is actually 1cc'ing the damn game! Despite all these years, I never clinched it till now. It must be because unlike the previous 7+ years I never had good practice tools (like save-states to actually lab out/route difficult parts of the game). It's been a real learning experience but I am happy to finally add my full clear score to the table!

This was down to the wire, I no-missed up until a dumb mistake during the stage 3 Emotion boss, Sem-Slut (lol), and while I did Dis-Human more or less perfectly, I choked and a real stupid death during Infinity's laser spam attack (with the yellow orbs). I usually consider Infinity to be a 1-death mandatory boss, but I had managed to keep pressure on the core while it went off-plane during its final phase and killed it with my bomb. Phew, I was nervous! I hope I can find a way (or someone) to record my switch replay... It'd be nice for posterity. It's either that or wait for the inevitable steam port a year from now :mrgreen:

edit: the video of my run is here!

EmperorIng - EC - 11,915,640 - WR-01R - 6 - 4 - A [A , A , A ] - 60% - AC (NS)

I really wonder what Yamazaki did to get the extra 3 million.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carmen

Re: RayCrisis (AC,PS1,PC,iOS,Android... PS4 and NS soon!)

Post by Carmen »

Oh wow, nice! Congrats on the 1cc! I can understand what it feels like - a Raycrisis 1cc is something I would love to accomplish in my lifetime. Last time I was messing around I kept side-walled by the Dis-human trifork laser barrage... I tried looking for tips on the Japanese interwebs (and the guidebook) hoping that there was a safe spot, but it seems like the only way to deal with it is to 'git good' :roll:

How is the Ray'z box set? Mines is still waiting in the Tenso warehouse, so aside from the R-Gear DLC (which was interesting to try), I haven't gotten a chance to see what it's like for myself. I'm excited to compare the AC version with the PS port for myself!

If I recall correctly the per-stage score bonus between S and A is pretty significant, so I imagine that's where Yamazaki snagged those extra points.
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
EmperorIng

Re: RayCrisis (AC,PS1,PC,iOS,Android,PS4,NS)

Post by EmperorIng »

A buddy of mine was kind enough to record my replay for me, so I am glad to share it for people to look and and perhaps learn from! Maybe you'll get some hints with Dis-Human from it. By and large once I figured out how to deal with the black-hole attack, the boss fight wasn't so bad anymore. But you have to keep the pressure up. Infinity is way harder for me, just a lot more can go wrong, especially with the long thin lasers. I managed to clear on my last life here, but I was fully expecting to die, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2hUKvDqo-s
Carmen wrote: How is the Ray'z box set? Mines is still waiting in the Tenso warehouse, so aside from the R-Gear DLC (which was interesting to try), I haven't gotten a chance to see what it's like for myself. I'm excited to compare the AC version with the PS port for myself!
The boxset is excellent. Everything plays so smoothly, even on the switch (so it will be even better on PS4, if that's your console). Being able to set up savestates, skip the annoying player log-in and code entries, etc. were all crucial to actually, finally learning the game and getting the clear. Trust me, when you set up that save state and just practice that tri-laser attack for a half hour or so, it won't cause you any problems anymore. Well, except once in a while :wink:

I need to watch some S-rank videos to see how big the score difference is. I figure you have to really route your Round Divider as well for maximum benefit. Me I always use my round divider in the same specific spots that I show above, mostly (aside from a panic bomb in stage 3 boss lol).
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Sorry for the late reply. The recording looks nice, I'll have to check it out in more detail.

Not that I knew what I was doing back 20 years ago, but I do remember purposely choosing easier stages so I could get the higher grades since the point difference was pretty substantial. Though I imagine good players can get a high rank on any stage...

Also, last but not least, my copy finally arrived! Of course, the box is excellent (though I really did not need to get the crystal+record version in hindsight... err). I'm especially digging the strategy guide, according to it the direction Dis-human's trifork lasers come from depends on whether the hundred-value point in your score is odd or even :shock: It'll be fun to read the rest and see what other tech is hidden in these games. Naturally, while I did give Rayforce and Raystorm a spin, I see myself spending the majority of my time with Crisis. I had a hard time putting it down when I put in the disc just to try everything. I couldn't have imagined ever playing the arcade version (I saw a cab once at Hey in Tokyo and for some silly reason I passed up playing it). I'll tell you, seeing the bosses with their rings and, most importantly, not having to load between parts, felt more amazing than it probably should have :lol:
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

So this isn't an actual update... since I didn't beat my score, but I finally managed to finish off Dis-human in the AC run (and the first time in... how many years has it been now? 17?). And... Infinity didn't happen. After some digging around, I learned that in the AC version, Infinity doesn't appear until after reaching the Normal End once. :roll:

Also, supposedly a big part of the difficulty in the AC version is *tied to your total overall progress*. Meaning, reaching the ending and clearing all maps means that the game will be more difficult on that player file. :shock: I am still not sure how to process this information.

Also, the Dis-human laser pattern I was getting was MUCH easier than what I've seen in the PS1 version. ( link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkDz82IzbGo ) The pattern I would always get would always be the one that happens during the 100% encroachment battle, when the game hits full rank. I'm going to have to mess around with the PS1 version a bit more and see what's going on...

I am learning a ton about the game so hopefully I'll be able to contribute some new scores. In addition to the guide that comes with the Ray'z set, this website is a treasure trove of knowledge: https://van-gluon.github.io/Leslie-Remake/
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Does the guidebook with the Japanese Ray'z set have English translation? I know that our very own blackoak said he was doing the translation but wasn't sure it'd be there for the Japan release.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Sadly, no, the guidebook is Japanese only. I had held out hope because the Darius book was dual-language!
The Ray'z artbook/history book is dual language, at least.

However the most important thing to probably keep in mind in the guide book are the point values of enemies, because that will help determine what amount you get from lock-on bonuses. Someone with an english copy does need to elucidate how exactly the Hyper Laser/Round Divider bonuses are awarded, however.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Well, from what I skimmed the guide (and the website I linked above), there wasn't any info on how the bonuses are calculated. However, the PS1 "Perfect Program Official Edition" book does have the formula written... though I'm not sure how much it'll help you...

"Bomb Bonus (the result of "√" is always a whole number)
Total enemy point value × [ ( √ Number of enemy bullets absorbed × 256 ) + 16 ] ÷ 16 = Bonus awarded"

"Hyper Laser Bonus (same as above)
Total enemy point value × Number of locks × ( √ Number of enemies destroyed × 10 ) = Bonus awarded"

(The final formula is how much Encroachment decreases for using a Hyper Laser"

Ahem... not sure how much that'll help you. I've been routing the Round Dividers to destroy the bosses as quickly as possible to get Encroachment down... am almost nailing down a reliable "S" rank finish on stage 1. The difference between "A" and "S" is half a million, so seems really worth it. Though I don't think the current stage order I have in mind is at all optimal (Emotion to Memory to Consciousness)... just the bosses I have an easier time with ><. Right now I'm trying to see if I can figure out how I was reaching Dis-human with 8.5 million like I was back when I was grinding the PS1 game... despite the fact that he seems much easier in the AC version, I still have a mental block that is preventing me from thinking I can reliably beat him :lol:

Honestly, the included guidebook is probably only an OK at best resource for score runs (I guess we can't expect much given that it's three games in less than 50 pages). I didn't find all too much useful information I haven't gained from just playing a lot of Raycrisis over the years aside from some details on the enemy patterns (the thing about the Dis-human laser attack was mind-blowing, though supposedly a Japanese player had discovered it a while back.) But if you do have something in mind you want to see translated I'll do my best to help ^^

Haven't had this much fun playing a shooter in so many years, it's quite refreshing!
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Keep at it! I noticed that the PS1 version is quite different in enemy patterns and rank than the arcade version available now - the stages in Arcade seem harder while PS1 seems easier, but the reverse is true for DisHuman, whose rank is jacked up way higher on PS1 versus arcade (this is probably to compensate for the lax TLB requirements). Watch that video I posted earlier, learning that spamming laser makes the black-hole attack shorter is particularly helpful, and you only need to dodge the trifork lasers twice (and the first time it's almost 0 difficulty).
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Oh yeah, I've definitely been referring to your run for tips on that fight, destroying the left arm seems to be the clutch strat. And, I think you're definitely right about the difficulty differences between the AC and PS1 version. I was doing some save-state practice just now and I was just kind of befuddled at how much tamer the Dis-human fight seemed. Like I said, I want to mess around with the PS1 version and see exactly what the deal is, but I think you're right, the rank seems jacked all the way up on that encounter. Maybe I'm being naïve, but I expect we'll get the PS1 version of this and Raystorm in a future update (like what happened with the Darius Cozmic Revelation) and hopefully if the M2 gadgets are incorporated we can see just exactly what is going on. I do also look forward to the return of Special Mode :P
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
Yamazaki!

Post by Yamazaki! »

Hi, looking forward to picking this up on Switch soon :)
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

!!! :D Can't wait until you pick it up! It'll be like old times again! :D Shame that the PS4 and NS versions don't share leaderboards.

I was messing around with the PS1 version and it actually seems more faithful to the AC than I suspected. But, there are differences, so I'm debating whether or not to separate the high score lists... I was hoping to not have to do that since Raycrisis isn't exactly the most popular game out there (I still don't understand why so many players just don't "get" this game :( ) Enemy formations seem to be the same but the behaviour can vary, as can when they appear -- I think? Honestly they're pretty close, so it can be hard to tell sometimes. I also don't want to end up in a situation where we have an individual scoreboard for each port when only like, four of us are even playing this game.

Or maybe something interesting would be that players can submit multiple entries for both PS1 and AC, with whichever score is higher being the one that is counted in the ranking, while the other one is there for reference sake? I personally am fond of this idea...

That said while I feel I'll be spending most of my time on the AC version now, the PS1 port is still pretty fun! I had a hard time putting it down.

EDIT: Table updated, this is kind of what I had in mind. The PS1 port (and by extension the PC port, from what I'm reading?) is close enough to be a guideline for what's possible in AC, but it's just doing things seems a little different (having to destroy enemy chains a bit faster, having to consider bullets where they weren't any before, different dodge times on certain attack patterns). So, I don't want to rule it out entirely. Maybe in the future if enough people transition to AC, we can consider creating separate boards, but... at least on the PS4 the leaderboards don't seem to be terribly active, so not sure that'll ever happen :roll:

But in the meantime, feel free to submit scores for both! It is fun going from one to the other and experiencing the slightly different feel; even though it isn't a perfect replica, I really think the PS1 (& PC) port has held up really well! I certainly look forward to attempting to beat my PS1 score (and Yamazaki's :lol: ) after I feel like I get a decent enough run on AC.

EDIT EDIT: Also, I just realised I had Yamazaki's handle spelled incorrectly this whole time. I really wonder how that happened considering that was also my KOF main. Promptly fixed (after almost two decades). :lol:
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策