NebulasRay

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

NebulasRay

Post by Despatche »

Too many topics in one day, but I thought I'd get these out before I forget for another year.

3 lives, extend at 150000, Medium difficulty. Be careful when using old versions of MAME, such as ShmupMAME.
----------
Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

NAME - SCORE - AREA - PLAYER SIDE - AUTOFIRE - DETAILS
The "DETAILS" section should be used to indicate which console/emulator version or which release/romset you may have used. Specifically, note whether you played World or Japan.

Code: Select all

1. Third_strike - 2,710,430 - ALL  - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)
 2. maximo       -   412,510 -  3   - ?? - ??? - MAME v0.172 (World)
Last edited by Despatche on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
maximo310

Re: NebulasRay [Arcade]

Post by maximo310 »

maximo-412,510- 3- MAME 0.172 ( World, NR2)

I wish I could enjoy this game more, but it feels like the graphics are the only part that stand out ( for its time). There's way too much screen wobble and picking up too many speed ups makes it a hassle to control your speed. It also takes quite a while to recover from a death.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Basically, Tatsujin. Which is what it's kinda going for anyway, really.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

I also noticed that there's quite a bit of setpieces that are heavily inspired by Rayforce( which came out earlier that year). But the gameplay does feel dated in comparison to similar games that came out around the time period.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 2,116,540 - ALL - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Video

I was so free to add your usual fields for player side and autofire. I don't know if playing as P2 makes a difference, but it sure makes a world of difference to play with autofire. Also note that this is an ALL as opposed to an ALL! or something like that; the game recognizes your clear as you can see by the picture, but I didn't manage to beat the silly extra stage and can't be bothered to do so. This score is rather solid since I didn't lose a life during the main game (which is worth a lot) whereas beating the Special Stage does absolutely nothing for your score, really. It's also remarkably stupid.

Anyway, from all the complaints I've read about this game on the forum, I was expecting something horrendous, turns out this game is good. Not great, some of the later bosses prove to be a massive fly in the ointment (check out that amazing barrage from the fourth boss that leaves you no option but to bomb), but nonetheless far above average, I've played much, much, much worse. No idea why it has such a bad reputation, there is no good reason for that as far as I can tell.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Whoa. Yeah, this was one of my earlier topics and I didn't really think about player side at the time.

Yeah, autofire is ridiculous in this game. Should I split for that? Might as well, this early on...

I've heard "meh for a 1994 game" but never outright terrible. Where did you hear all this?
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I'm not going to point fingers, but if you use the search function you'll find apodictic critiques ranging from "unplayable mess" to scrolling that "made me wanna barf" to Nebulas Ray being a "crappy VP1 clone" (!) all the way to an unadorned "no good". Seems rather harsh if you ask me.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

This is all news to me, just like when I discovered that the forum didn't hate R-Type as they said they did for years.

Thank you for doing the research for me.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Damn, congrats on the clear!

I guess there was no screen wobble after all; I probably just never got used to the max speed of the ship even after doing a few runs to stg 5 a month or two ago.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Third_strike - 1,833,210- ALL - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)
I remember the first time I had contact with this game. It was in November last year after seeing a image of the second boss in a youtube thumbnail. I tested the game at time and found it very unplayable. Now,a year later and a little more experienced, I tested it again and here I am playing it and having a lot of fun. What a growth in mind guys. The challenge here is to control the ship at high speed and with a very strange controls. Your tool? More knowledge of the game equals fewer unnecessary movements and less relying on reaction. In other words, run the game ahead in your mind
Notes:
Died in stage 5 and time outed last boss in purpose because I don't know how deal with yours last phase. It will take some time to learn this and extra stage. I did not get extra stage too.
This game have power down.
Last boss last phase is the hell random.
This game is superb in music, graphics and designer of stage and enemies.

Update:
Third_strike - 2,269,780 - ALL - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)
Notes:
Once again I failed to kill the last boss, but this time I tried.
Mistakes in all places.
The power down is time based, rather than ammo based.
You are invincible for a short time after picking up a speed or power item.
Random factor is high in which power or special item will come first, this is where will need take movement risks out of your plan.

Update:
Third_strike - 2,358,720 - ALL - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)
Finally I could play again. Run was not this good, but I was able to kill last boss, I didn't last so long in bonus stage. I Need learn this stage now.

Upfate:
Third_strike - 2,523,950 - ALL - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)

Lost a life in stage 2, killed last boss and had a lot of luck in bonus stage.
Meriscan

Post by Meriscan »

The speed at which you're getting these PB's is always impressive. Glad to see someone on this forum really pushing this game!
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Thanks! indeed I like it slow and steady :)
Btw, I got this earlier:
Third_strike - 2,600,170 - ALL - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)
This would be a good run If I did not get death in last boss at very last of the fight. I was very very luck in extra stage and even beated the boss there for the first time.

Update:
Third_strike - 2,710,430- ALL - 1P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Japan)
Enough for me!
Mistake was don't kill 3rd boss because got time outed. Bombeb the last boss last phase seven times :lol:. I hate this thing!

Note:
You get invencible for a short time after picking up a F, G, H or D item too.
RNG can complicate things a lot in this game