Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! (aka Mamorukun Curse!)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
CStarFlare

Re: Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!

Post by CStarFlare »

I wonder what fossa99 knows that everyone else doesn't?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

He's probably just making smart use of the castle stage at max rank. As I described here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p875486, scoring in the game is not broken, however the last stage of any run is going to be worth an inordinate amount of points due to how rank climbs through the game. The castle stage does seem to be the best overall, but every character can't make the most of it. Some, like Mayuno, will want to do other stages last.

But with a character like Fululu who has an extra-large curse field, chaining all the way through the most complex rooms in the castle stage could get you a score that high, indeed even higher as we can see on the 360 with 200 mil+ scores.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Ah, so the X360 and PS3 versions are comparable? When I saw the spread between the #1 scores I assumed not.

I'm going to have to keep this game on my radar. It's a shame I didn't include it with my last package from y Japan.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

We don't have any info that says otherwise at the moment. True, the highest 360 score is twice the highest PS3 score, but I believe this is due to the character used. On the PS3, Nowa, on 360, Fululu.

Nowa's homing bats tend to kill off a lot of good popcorn enemies before they get cursed, thus preventing you from getting stars from them. In terms of ideal scores, Nowa should be much below other characters. She's much more useful as an easy 1CC.

Incidentally, I did a run-down on the differences in the PS3 version here:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=283
I'm working on a FAQ, so I'll integrate that info later.
Mero

Post by Mero »

adversity1 wrote: I think it would be nice if we had by-character leaderboards here since each character has very different scoring potential.
OK, I'll split them now

I'll have to fire this up again at some point and try to beat my old score, haven't played it for a few years.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Mero - 16,335,140 - 4 - Fululu

I can definitely go higher than this, but I'll post this up for now. Didn't catch how much my biggest chain was but it must have been worth about 8 million, which would put it in excess of 4000 (I think).

Will try for something better soon, and maybe do a low rank 1CC with one of the other characters (to this day I still haven't cleared this game).
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Man...you get the magic back quick man, props.

Yeah Mamoru-kun is crazy hard if you jack up the rank, so most of my best scoring runs end before I can clear it. I did get to the last phase of the last boss one time on max rank, but that was harder than usual and I wound up eating dirt.

Not sure how much further I can push my Fululu score, might wind up working on some of the other characters at some point.
Mero

Post by Mero »

adversity1 wrote:Man...you get the magic back quick man, props.
Thanks, been playing this for about a week now. Took me a while to remember what I was doing but now I'm doing better than I used to.

Mero - 20,032,890 - 4 - Fululu[

This was a pretty bad run on the Castle stage with my chain breaking twice but I managed to fully chain the 3rd room (the one with spikes on the floor) and add a bit more to my chain the next room for something over 8 million.

Once your chain gets to much higher than 4000 or so your score starts going through the roof , I just need to hold it together on the castle stage.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Congrats Mero, excellent score. 8)

Did that put you in top 10 on the 360 boards?

Probably will not be beating that anytime soon, so your record is safe for now. :)

Incidentally I've just completed my Mamoru-kun guide in the strategy forum: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44837. UFO Games just quasi-announced their localization of the game, so hopefully some other players will get interested.

Will be back here again when I get a decent score with my baby Mayuno!
Mero

Post by Mero »

adversity1 wrote:Congrats Mero, excellent score. 8)
Did that put you in top 10 on the 360 boards?
Thanks! Alas I don't have the internet at my place so I don't know how my score would place on the leaderboards.

I actually played a run with Mayuno the other day when I accidently selected the wrong character, I didn't make it past the second stage :lol:.

Mero - 23,986,920 - 4 - Fululu

I did this a few hours ago, this is only really good scoring run I've had all week. This time I managed to chain most of the first 3 rooms of the castle for about 17 million, could have been higher too because I lost my chain in the first room.

May try to improve this further, or if not I'll just try to actually clear the game!
Mero

Post by Mero »

Got a new one

Mero - 33,317,320 - 4 - Fululu

^^Took this pic on my widescreen TV if you wonder why it looks clearer, I play the game on my tated CRT.

On this run I managed to give the rank a big increase by no missing the original mission, it wasn't a totally no miss run to the Castle because I stupidly lost a life on the Sprit World Gate stage but that didn't seem to effect things too much.

At the Castle this score wasn't done in 1 big chain, it was done in 2 chains because I lost it in the middle of the second room :( . Still tons of room for improvement.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Wow, big increase. Good job, Mero!

This game is a lot more fun with the Combo Timer. Here's a first mediocre score. I can only chain the right half of the sky stage. :/

Ratikal - 4,249,860 - 4 - Fululu

What route do you take Mero?
Mero

Post by Mero »

On a proper scoring run with Fululu my route is:

Prologue > Sky Garden > Sky Garden Mission > Spirit World Gate > Spirit World Gate Mission > Original Mission > Cherry Blossom Village > Cherry Blossom Village Mission > Karakuri Castle

I like to save Cherry Blossom Village until after I've done the Original Mission because it has 2 easy-to-collect extends in it (so does Spirit World Gate but that stage is a lot harder at high rank).

I don't bother with Southern Temple at all, I'm crap at chaining that stage and I can't no miss the Mission stage of it either (when the boss starts throwing all those tornadoes at you I always get hit).

If I pull off total perfection I can hit about 8 million before I reach the Castle, usually I'm about 6 or 7 depending
iconoclast

Re: Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! (aka Mamorukun Curse!

Post by iconoclast »

iconoclast - 45,901,710 - 4 - Fululu

Got this for $10 on PSN the other day. Chaining the entire castle stage seems pretty hard, but it's really satisfying to soak up thousands of gems. Very fun game.

Update:
iconoclast - 80,810,170 - 4 - Fululu

Should be able to get 100+ million if I can chain the castle without screwing up. The final area is really hard to deal with, and I usually screw up the section right before it. Need to figure out a solid strategy for that stuff.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Amazing score mate :) , glad to see you're enjoying it.

How big did you have to get your chain to score that?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Thanks. I'm not sure exactly how high my chain was, but I'm guessing it was somewhere between 10-11k because I lost it right before the three saw blades after the spike traps. That was the first time I made to the castle without a death, so the rank was about as high as I can get it (80-85 in training mode). Not sure what I can do to max it out.

New score:
iconoclast - 108,286,000 - 4 - Fululu

Still can't chain the final section of the castle. And I need to stop dying.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

iconoclast - 129,745,520 - ALL - Fululu

Died at the final section of the castle again, but at least I managed to hold my chain for a little while. Don't think I can make any significant improvements unless I can figure out how to max out the rank before entering the castle.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Great job once again! Is that the highest NA score?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Yep, by a significant margin. :P
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Just picked this one up. I don't know why I had been avoiding it. Took a few minutes to understand and get used to the game play but well worth the purchase. I feel like I beat up my joystick playing this (heh). If you are looking to fill your library and don't have this I def. recommend grabbing it for the right price. On that last wallpaper, what is the character reaching down for? :lol:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I recently got this working on RCPS3, and it works like a charm! I am so happy because I have been wanting to play this game for ages and had given up hope of any further ports.

So, despite it not being all that impressive for score, here's something to bump the thread to let everyone know it's the 2020s baby! Emulation is king!

I wish I would have gotten 2 million, and I wish I would have been able to beat the "bad end" of the game using the overpowered character, but I have played for literally less than an hour so I still don't really know how everything works.

EmperorIng - 1,989,580 - 4 - Nowa

Mero

Post by Mero »

Updated :)

That bad ending boss is really hard iirc