Cotton Rock n' Roll (Success, AC/NSW/PS4/PC, 2021)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores

Who is the most deserving of your willow-chan?

Cotton
13%
Silk
7%
Appli
20%
Saiba Ria
27%
Vein
13%
Luffee
7%
Umihara Kawase
13%
Tacoot
No votes

Total votes: 15

EmperorIng

Cotton Rock n' Roll (Success, AC/NSW/PS4/PC, 2021)

Post by EmperorIng »

LET'SU GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Success' Online Arcade Rankings (Total and By Character)
Cotton Rock n' Roll High Scores on the Hall of Records
Forum Thread

NOTE: The villain Takuto/Tacoot is a console-exclusive bonus char (EDIT: Now available in Exa version and new arcade updates?), but Silk is currently Pre-order exclusive DLC.
According to 4gamer, Silk is just a cosmetic Swap of Cotton.

Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

CHARACTER
Name - Score - Stage - Route - Platform (specify if emulator used) - [url=]link[/url]
[/size]

Example:

Code: Select all

Kawase
EmperorIng - 2,000,000 - F - ADEF - Switch - [url=]link[/url]
Link is for video or snapshot taken of your final score. It is optional but encouraged.
Hard
Hard Mode
RANK PLAYER SCORE CHARACTER STAGE ROUTE PLATFORM ADDITIONAL IMAGE/VIDEO
1 Jonpachi 53,779,990 Ria ALL A-D-C-L-E-B-G-H Switch image
Normal
Cotton

Cotton
RANK PLAYER SCORE STAGE ROUTE PLATFORM ADDITIONAL IMAGE/VIDEO
1 M.Knight 107,970,230 ALL ABMICEGH PC Replay
2 Mero 90,429,510 ALL A-C-F-D-E-B-G-H PS4 Image
3 EmperorIng 79,672,890 ALL A-C-F-D-E-B-G-H Switch Image
Silk
Silk
Appli
Appli
1 Ratikal 253,192,440 ALL AIDEBLGH Steam Replay
2 EmperorIng 113,559,590 ALL AFCEDBGH PC Image
3 M.Knight 92,249,750 ALL AIMFBCGH PC Replay
Luffee

Luffee
1 M.Knight 140,442,220 ALL ACIDBMGH PC Replay
2 EmperorIng 115,848,570 ALL ADBEFCGH Switch Image
3 Herr Schatten 58,525,460 ALL ADBFCEGH Switch
Saiba Ria

Saiba Ria
1 M.Knight 249,884,340 ALL AKMLBNGH Steam Replay
2 maximo 106,207,490 ALL A-F-E-B-D-C-G-H Arcade Replay
3 Jonpachi 49,844,810 ALL A-D-F-L-E-B-G-H Switch image
Fine

Fine
1 M.Knight 198,810,850 ALL ADBINKGH Steam Replay
2 Mero 180,922,590 ALL AKCIDBGH PS4 Video
Kawase
Kawase
1 M.Knight 82,000,890 ALL ABCEIMGH Steam Replay
Tacoot
Tacoot
1 Mero 234,550,750 ALL A-I-C-K-D-B-G-H PS4 Video
2 M.Knight 189,907,370 ALL AKIMLBGH PC Replay
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:03 pm, edited 34 times in total.
EmperorIng

Re: Cotton Rock n' Roll Fantasy (Success, AC/NSW/PS4, 2021)

Post by EmperorIng »

A brand new arcade shmup, in 2021, with loads of options, scoring routes, and characters! Time to jump in, boys and girls! I may try to do an OVERALL board like I have done for Sisters Royale. I may also try to do a Hard Mode board, but that will only happen if there are scores to populate it (and it will be only Overall, not split by character). I haven't decided as of this posting to do so because not enough people have the game and it will be a lot of extra work to maintain the overall board. :?
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

I'll start off with my submission:

Saiba Ria/Psyvariar

maximo & 54,250,730 & ALL & A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H & Arcade & Replay

Found a way to play the arcade version so I gave the game a few credits; this is my best scoring clear so far. For most players, the Normal clear is going to be pretty easy, especially with the amount of resources you get throughout the game & some basic knowledge of the multiplier system.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Does arcade have a difficulty select system? That might make it more likely for me to get a Hard board going.

Thanks for breaking in the new board!
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

EmperorIng wrote:Does arcade have a difficulty select system? That might make it more likely for me to get a Hard board going.

Thanks for breaking in the new board!
Nope, just on the console ports from what I've seen. I would like to get the port at some point and see how the other difficulties compare.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Did some route changes, copied a few strats, and almost doubled my score.

Saiba Ria/Psyvariar

maximo & 106,207,490 & ALL & A-F-E-B-D-C-G-H & Arcade & Replay

Some key tips for those looking to increase your score:
- Sometimes it's worth dropping a bomb at the beginning of the stage just to get your multipler up
- Stage B ( Riverside) has many easy opportunities to level up/ get x99 multipler. It's probably better to do this stage as your 4th-6th choice.
- Stage C has a midboss and boss that allow you to get immediate level ups with this character if you use the lv up shield to damage them.
- The laser beams shot by the cyclops (B), Stage C boss, and stage D columns/snakes, give a ton of medals when you bomb.
-Stage E (Twilight) has hammerhead sharks & a midboss which shouldn't be destroyed immediately; let them shoot out bullets so that you can get more medals
- Stage G has a spaceship midboss. If you destroy the main core, more enemies will spawn and allow you to level up and max medals. The boss for this stage gives some decent score, although it seems impossible to kill it before it self-destructs in this version.
- The last boss (stage H) second phase gives a stupid amount of score if you can destroy the missiles at max multipler for about 3.5 cycles.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

By the way maximo, have you played the original AC version on emulation? Apparently difficulty only affects the starting rank meter (which is hidden by default in arcade). Normal is 2000 rank on console. If you have played the emulated arcade version, are you able to see what the default starting rank is?

Score has been added! Love that I have some replays to copy-monkey. :mrgreen: But truth be told I might be starting using Cotton, then Appli and Kawase.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I finally got the port the other day and I am so stoked to dive into this game. Forgive the low score, I am just figuring things out. :P

EmperorIng & 54,250,730 & F & A-B-E-F & Switch & Image

Pearl on discord tells me to play F right away, not because of its scoring potential, but because on high rank the stage is quite nightmarish. It's a lot harder than I expected it to be in the middle of the game, that's for sure. I also lost lives due to unexpectedly fast bullets, and the environment crushing me a few times as the camera zoomed around.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Got to the penultimate stage the other night, I have a long way to go with scoring. But man is this game a blast. The stages are so energetic and it's addicting keeping up with the chaos and trying to get bells to fill the screen all the time.

Cotton

EmperorIng & 39,515,200 & G & A-D-C-B-E-F-G & Switch & Image

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Made it to the last boss, but couldn't quite seal the deal. Hopefully soon!

Cotton

EmperorIng & 62,443,760 & H & A-C-B-F-D-E-G-H & Switch & Image

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Finally got the 1cc! I am disappointed that I timed out the final boss, and that I didn't get a clean 80 million... But since this was really down to the wire and my last life (this final boss is rough!), I am glad I pulled off the clear.

I get C and F out of the way first, I find those two bosses the most annoying to deal with. The snail in C has loads of health and the snake boss in F has almost no opportunity to score or milk so you are encouraged to just bomb it to death and get it over with. Especially at low rank where there's a lesser chance of the second snake showing up.

The Wool bossfight in E always seems to kill me at the start of the fight when she spawns a bat literally right on top of me. Fuggin' bullshit.

Cotton

EmperorIng & 79,672,890 & ALL & A-C-F-D-E-B-G-H & Switch & Image

Now I want to move on to trying the other characters. Right now Appli and Vein seem to be the most fun to play as based on my testing. Scoring with Appli is so easy, lol.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

First score attempt to get this ball rolling. Still experimenting with the characters, but so far I like Luffee best. Slowing down during special and the narrow main shot seem like acceptable tradeoffs for unlimited specials.

Luffee
Herr Schatten & 8,393,440 & C & AEC & Switch
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice! The slow speed was a little too much for me. Luffee is not as frustrating as Kawase, who makes me insanely mad as I play her. There are three levels of charging, and a full blast is a pretty big laser which should be important for milking bullets. Bombs are useful in a pinch in order to quickly increase the multiplier especially when there aren't a lot of enemies on-screen.

Another 1cc, this time with Appli! She is very fun to play as, probably more so than Cotton. Love that Cotton 2 throw, this time far less wonky (kinda?).

EmperorIng & 104,022,420 & ALL & A-I-F-E-D-B-G-H & Switch & Image

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Luffee
Herr Schatten & 14,995,180 & B & AECFB & Switch

Concentrating on survival right now while learning the stages and only trying to score where I feel sufficiently confident.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I've been torturing myself playing only in handheld mode since release, and have been continually missing the clear by just a hair. Tonight, I finally sat down at the gaming monitor with the HRAP V and blazed right to the end with 5+ lives left as the final tea cups fell. Still have a LOT to learn, and I think I'm going over to Hard mode now, but this was a nice little win for a random Tuesday night.

Ria on Normal

Jonpachi & 49,844,810 & ALL & A-D-F-L-E-B-G-H & Switch

Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Luffee
Herr Schatten & 28,033,190 & H & ADCBEFGH & Switch

I arrived at the final boss with no lives left, but with more than a dozen bombs in tow. I happily bombed through most of the trickier patterns and got the boss down to just an inch of his health. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite beat him. Should only be a matter of time now, though.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Luffee
Herr Schatten & 39,858,010 & H & ADCBEFGH & Switch

Got the final boss down to literally (!) just a pixel of his health this time. Very frustrating.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

You'll get it. Try using one of those many bombs you have saved up on the attack where the boss shoots millions of missiles at you. That missile spam is basically free extends if you know what to do.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Here is some friendly competition to motivate you to clear. 8)

EmperorIng & 115,848,570 & ALL & ADBFCEGH & Switch & Image

Based on what you've been saying I surmise you are not making the most of your laser attack. At full charge it lasts a long time and can really not only decimate bosses but give you loads of bells if you know how to use it. I recorded this bit with the final boss, see how I use my fully charged laser to nullify its attacks and reap a huge reward from its missile attack?

Also, if you don't have time or space to set up a proper laser when there are lots of enemies onscreen, use one of those bombs you carry around and build your multiplier up. You want your multiplier to be at x99 for just about the entire stage when applicable.

If you keep that in mind you will be swimming in lives and have an easy out for the clear!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Wow! :shock: Great work.

Thanks for the video. I definitely need to learn how to use the longer laser more strategically. I tend to forget to immediately recharge it after use. Most of the time I just use the laser in short bursts.

Do you happen to have good strategies for the second midboss of stage B (the flying whale thing) and the twin snake boss of F? I seem to be unable to get past them without bombing or dying or both. The midboss of F is also a bit hit and miss for me.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Happy to offer some tips!

Yeah, a lot of boss phases give you time to charge your laser (like the griffon boss' second phase). A lot of the time I just use short burst fire to keep the multiplier up and clear a path, but a few stage transitions allow you to get a charge going (like during the spaceship midboss).

For the B midboss, you have to make sure you start in the middle of the screen as he comes on because all too often I get hit by his wall of shots on top and bottom. From there it's just using short lasers to keep the bullet count low, and larger ones during a big spam. You want to kill him quickly to get the waves of bonus enemies for your multiplier so if he's not dead after a single cycle I tend to just use a bomb to finish him off.

F boss I dunno. You can charge a level 3 laser in between his appearances. Then I bomb for the the rest. The three sword things midboss are really just stronger enemies, so charge a laser and/or bomb, you want them dead quickly to get more normal enemies to farm for bells.

I honestly have trouble killing the bosses, after two or so stages, most of the time they just time out and leave the screen.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Are we lumping Normal and Hard together?

Ria on Hard

Jonpachi & 53,779,990 & ALL & A-D-C-L-E-B-G-H & Switch

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Uh, no I am not. I haven't gotten any hard score submissions, except for yours. I mean lol, why would I combine them?

Congratulations on the clear though! I haven't even touched Hard mode. as far as I can tell, Hard sets the beginning rank at 4000 instead of 2000.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ha, ok. Didn't know I was so alone in the mode. I still clearly have no idea how to score well though. 30 mil of that is from the last full level and the final boss area, while the rest is just me grazing what I can and hoping for the best. :)
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Luffee
Herr Schatten & 58,525,460 & ALL & ADBFCEGH & Switch

Finally got the clear. I don't know if it's because I tried a different stage order, but this time I got through really well, and, not least thanks to your helpful tips, I beat the final boss comfortably with 5 lives and a couple of bombs to spare.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Finally got a chance to open this up last night after it's just been sitting for a couple weeks and got a credit-feed run in. Would love to actually keep with this, so posting to keep myself accountable instead of just wasting my life on survival games. Is Cotton's hitbox her head, btw?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Every character's hitbox is located near the middle of the body and is portrayed as a faint heart. It's hard to see, and usually more visible when holding down the shot button for a charged magic attack (or being behind some scenery like in the pyramid stage). There's an option to make the hitbox visible but it doesn't seem to do much more than the above - it's pretty faint all around.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ah okay, thanks. I did see that in the options, but I thought it was turned on by default. My TV is probably way too far away.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mero

Post by Mero »

Cotton, Normal

Mero & 90,429,510 & ALL & A-C-F-D-E-B-G-H & PS4 & Image

Only played with Cotton so far, my plan was to get the clear with her and then check the other characters so I'll get on that soon. Good game, I certainly like it better than Reboot.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice going Mero! I agree, it's a much more satisfying game to play for score than Reboot and overall a fantastic experience. I want to jump back into it eventually; I'm just too consumed by playing Giga Wing 2 at the moment :mrgreen: I'm waiting for the steam port to really push myself.