shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:31 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Rolling Gunner / Over Power [Mebius - PC/Switch]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 pm 

Thanks! Sorry I missed it.

Man, that final boss at ~40 rank just looks wild. It's hard to tell how you're supposed to squeeze through some of those walls without having a bit of a hope and a prayer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:27 pm 

I'm trying to play Overpower with just my keyboard. I press the shot change key to switch to fighter mode, but when I hold down the shoot key it switches to gunner mode. I tried holding down the shot change key with the shoot key, but that did not work either.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. Any ideas?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:27 pm 

There is no rapid fire button in Overpower. If you're playing with digital controls, you need to tap/hold to transition from one to the other. It appears to assume the default way you'll play it is going to be with a twin-stick setup where the right stick is used for rapid fire and then you hold a button to use the focus shot. Overpower can be played with a traditional arcade stick but controlling the gunpod is a lot trickier because it doesn't latch in place when transitioning from mashing shot to holding shot like it does in the standard version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:05 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
There is no rapid fire button in Overpower. If you're playing with digital controls, you need to tap/hold to transition from one to the other. It appears to assume the default way you'll play it is going to be with a twin-stick setup where the right stick is used for rapid fire and then you hold a button to use the focus shot. Overpower can be played with a traditional arcade stick but controlling the gunpod is a lot trickier because it doesn't latch in place when transitioning from mashing shot to holding shot like it does in the standard version.

Ok, thanks for confirming I was not missing anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 am 

Original
Satis - 5,815,144,020 - TRUE ALL - RS - PC - pic

Pretty poor scoring on Stage 6 but got to clear for the first time so ended up being a significant pb regardless

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:02 pm 

Congratulations man!! What a big increase and gg on the clear! I'll add this when I am back at a computer tomorrow.

I was playing last night and raging the whole time, trying (and failing) to pull off some of your strategies in your replay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:19 pm 

Satis wrote:
Original
Satis - 5,815,144,020 - TRUE ALL - RS - PC - pic

Pretty poor scoring on Stage 6 but got to clear for the first time so ended up being a significant pb regardless

What a great score! Hope you get to 6+ billion at the Shmup Slam IV (7B? 8B? no pressure! :mrgreen:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:07 pm 

FINALLY! it's nothing compared to the scores above but I at least was finally able to get past stages 3 and 4... even with a totally stupid and avoidable death in stage 3. First time ever making it to stage 5. In a very frustrating manner, I died by nervously ramming a bullet right before the S5 midboss began its attack. This is also the first time I managed to get the 1UP on the stage 4 midboss, which is what saved my ass considering I was on 0 lives when I got to the midbosses themselves.

Here's a little video snippet of my dumb luck and dumber dodging skills 8)

Yeah yeah, rank and score are total shite but I'm pleased.

Original
EmperorIng - 235,054,350 - 5 MBOSS - RS - Switch - pic

I don't know what I am doing wrong to not pull off the stage 1 boss milk. Is it something with the Switch port? I really doubt that... Whenever I activate the second hyper I can't seem to have it end quickly enough to scoop up the medals and refill my meter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:20 am 

Nice! On your way to the 1CC :D

I doubt there's any difference on the Switch version in that regard. Have you seen my run? I do it at the bottom (seemed more consistent for me) and managed to get over 200M on the first stage that way.

You may be filling the red gauge too much? Either that or aren't waiting until it's over to move to the right and collect the rest of the medals?

(I used the RX though...)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:29 pm 

I explained to Ing already elsewhere but the milks are much tougher with RS because of the big medal collection radius, it basically just means that there'll be less remaining medals once the limit is over so it's a tougher recharge. RX is in the middle of the road as far as collection radius goes so it's a nice mix between speed and collection, RA is very slow but also very tiny collection in comparison.

On the plus side it does mean RS medal collection on the milks is automatically pretty optimized, I think I can get 240m on stage 1 if I ever do a full milk but I tend to mess up (or just get rng'd?) near the end.
Currently the best I got on stage 1 is 220m with rank 15. The higher rank near the end tends to make the recharges a bit too crazy because the bullet speed is too high, not enough bullets on the right side of the screen.

Same deal with the other milks, I don't do the stage 3 boss final milk ever because at the rank I'm at it's not possible to do it, at least with RS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:36 pm 

I was experimenting with the RX last night (nothing to show for it, yet). Maybe I should try the RA but that might be playing with fire. Macro dodging is already tight with the RX. The positioning must be super tight with the RS to keep your red meter low enough to actually scoop up medals for the next recharge. I guess practice mode grind is in my future. 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:31 pm 

Feels pretty stupid to make a new post just for this but uploaded the video of the clear and I don't think anyone would ever see it if I just edited it in.

I came up with new routes yesterday worth about 600m spread out over stage 3 and 4 so hopefully I can reach 7b before shmup slam rolls around. My stage bests put me at 7.2 or so already so shouldn't be too horrible?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:15 pm 

Check out this massive score from Stage 3 score attack:

https://youtu.be/UgoIUju13nw

Is this mode arcade only?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:45 am 

Satis wrote:
Feels pretty stupid to make a new post just for this but uploaded the video of the clear and I don't think anyone would ever see it if I just edited it in.

I came up with new routes yesterday worth about 600m spread out over stage 3 and 4 so hopefully I can reach 7b before shmup slam rolls around. My stage bests put me at 7.2 or so already so shouldn't be too horrible?

Don't feel stupid about it! I am glad when people post new updates or have new things to share, and it's easier for me to keep track of what to add... AND it bumps the thread! Everyone is a winner.

I have been pretty gratified watching your vids, especially this one. Earlier today I finally got 2 cycles of the milk on the stage 1 boss, finally starting to figure out what it was I was doing wrong and how I need to position myself. Surviving stage 3 is still pretty dicey (or rather, going into stage 4 with more than one life).

I must say it's pretty clever how you push the stage 5 boss partially offscreen in order to reduce the amount of time dealing with its aggravating final phase.

Rastan78 wrote:
Check out this massive score from Stage 3 score attack:

https://youtu.be/UgoIUju13nw

Is this mode arcade only?

This looks like it is exclusive to the arcade release. Pretty cool they have it though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:53 pm 

Original
Satis - 7,151,790,210 - TRUE ALL - RS - PC - pic

Insane run from start to finish and what a finish it was. I entered the TLB with 3 lives and 1 bomb and cleared with 2 lives and 3 bomb, very close to no-missing the TLB which would be really incredible to say the least.

My sum of bests is like 7.5b, it shouldn't really be possible to get this close to your theoretical limit..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:00 pm 

That score is crazy. Well done.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:17 pm 

Hello from Shmup.com :)

Mode Over Power original
Doudinou - 10.274.200.410 - TRUE ALL - RA - SWITCH

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=21/28/buf4.jpeg

Mode Original casual
Doudinou - 214.605.930 - TRUE ALL - RA - SWITCH

https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=21/28/pkgh.jpeg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:51 am 

Congratulations! Great seeing how active the board is and how some crazy some of the scores are.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5