righteous
lol
Battletoad

Re: Zero Gunner 2

Post by Battletoad »

Better late than never. Here is my replay:

1st Loop
2nd Loop

Like usual I must excuse for the bad quality in Sea of Cloud and other short passages, but I think it's ok for the most part.
I thought about giving my replay to someone who has better equipment, but don't know. This should do it for now.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob - 3,137,650 - 2-7 - Comanche
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Holy shit, out of nowhere it came! Congrats on reclaiming the top rank! :D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Out of nowhere my ass. :lol:
Congrats Rob for striking back, at least I had the record for 1 year it seems... I might try to get it back, but now is not the time.

How long have you been playing it again?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Over the past month. Soon after I saw your new-ish score (a little late). ;]
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Despatche - 401,050 - 1-4 - Hokum

Only posting this because it's not dead last. Somehow did this while extremely tired? Maybe when I'm not extremely tired, I can actually get through the random stages.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Late update, sorry.
Keep going and give this thread a tiny bit of life. :wink:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

This is from a while back, and I'm not actively playing, but I noticed that my score isn't actually the worst, so I'll go ahead and submit it! This game is one of my favorites that I've ever played, and I really wish that it had a practice mode, because I suck :x

LordHypnos - 456,300 - 1-5 - Comanche
Spoiler
Does anyone happen to know what the best ship for survival is? Seems like Comanche is best for scoring.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

It's probably gonna be a good idea to split or ban the Switch "port".
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Despatche wrote:It's probably gonna be a good idea to split or ban the Switch "port".
Oh wow this is getting a new release? Wouldn't have expected that. But you're totally right, it looks quite different from the Dreamcast port.
I'll accept Switch scores and split the tables if anyone wants to contribute, so please state which version you played from now on.
LordHypnos wrote:This is from a while back, and I'm not actively playing, but I noticed that my score isn't actually the worst, so I'll go ahead and submit it! This game is one of my favorites that I've ever played, and I really wish that it had a practice mode, because I suck :x

LordHypnos - 456,300 - 1-5 - Comanche
Spoiler
Does anyone happen to know what the best ship for survival is? Seems like Comanche is best for scoring.
Nice, scoreboard is updated! The lack of a practice mode is a real downer, but oh well.
If you need strategies for certain parts or bosses, try a look at my YT videos or try asking here directly. Seems I never really got to finish that Strategy Guide of mine... :( But I should be able to remember some tricks, especially for stages 5 through 7.

For scoring, I would say in the 1st loop every ship is fine if you can decently handle it.

For survival, Hokum makes life a lot easier against popcorn enemies due to the homing missiles. It also has a very intuitive special attack.

Apache has the most firepower, both for the standard shot and the special attack. With the special attack you can basically skip difficult boss parts (like last part of the stage 5 boss). On the other hand, Apache has slow movement and is more difficult against numerous enemies.

Comanche has a bit less firepower and a special attack that needs good planning and knowledge of the stage layouts to be put to best use. So for survival I'd prefer the other two ships.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Thanks for the response! What I mean though about the practice mode is that I just don't know how to learn a game when I have to start at the beginning each time. This is compounded by the randomized stages, so for the first 4 stages I can't even practice them all at a consistent difficulty level, Maybe that wouldn't be a problem, but I can't consistently make it through any more than just the first two stages. Anyway, I suppose the answer is just that it takes way longer to learn the game than if I had a stage select.

That aside, I decided to throw a few credits in messing around with the Hokum instead of the Comanche, and I found out that I actually have a higher score saved than the one I just posted, sorry about that. Also an old score:

LordHypnos - 499,500 - 1-5 - Comanche
Spoiler
1) Create Scoring System
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

LordHypnos wrote:^Thanks for the response! What I mean though about the practice mode is that I just don't know how to learn a game when I have to start at the beginning each time. This is compounded by the randomized stages, so for the first 4 stages I can't even practice them all at a consistent difficulty level, Maybe that wouldn't be a problem, but I can't consistently make it through any more than just the first two stages. Anyway, I suppose the answer is just that it takes way longer to learn the game than if I had a stage select.
That's exactly how I understood you... and how I see it, too. :)
Stages 3 can 4 can already get quite tricky, especially when they are Marine Base or Alpine Armored Train. After a while they should be less of a problem though.
I'd also have loved a practice mode. At least in the 2nd loop you can use a trick to practice the individual stages. But in the 1st loop you're screwed. The only downside for me in this game.

Scoreboard updated!
riccyjay

Post by riccyjay »

Is there a big difference in scoring between the Dreamcast version and the Switch port? I've mostly been playing on normal so far but my first couple of scores trying arcade would be enough to hit the top ten of those already posted. I'll submit one after I get a good run and hopefully see how it compares to other Switch users.
Battletoad wrote: At least in the 2nd loop you can use a trick to practice the individual stages. But in the 1st loop you're screwed. The only downside for me in this game.
What's that trick? I really need some practice on stage 7, but it's so much effort to get there and then so little chance to learn where to improve. (Those double robots at the end of the first third always get me.)
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

riccyjay wrote:Is there a big difference in scoring between the Dreamcast version and the Switch port? I've mostly been playing on normal so far but my first couple of scores trying arcade would be enough to hit the top ten of those already posted. I'll submit one after I get a good run and hopefully see how it compares to other Switch users.
Battletoad wrote: At least in the 2nd loop you can use a trick to practice the individual stages. But in the 1st loop you're screwed. The only downside for me in this game.
What's that trick? I really need some practice on stage 7, but it's so much effort to get there and then so little chance to learn where to improve. (Those double robots at the end of the first third always get me.)
Difficulty is heavily reduced on the switch port. Don't know about scoring. The two should not at all be added to the same score boards however from what I've heard of the switch port, so far. There's been some discussion in the Psikyo arcade archives thread
I can't personally compare the two since I don't have a switch.
1) Create Scoring System
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Finally

Trevor Spencer - 1,469,850 - 2.1

Hokum

Going to see if I can get a nicer run and get it recorded

https://imgur.com/a/xYrZ73L
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

a bit better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SnV7HYOAYY

Trevor Spencer - 1,508,150 - 2.1

going to keep playing for a little while longer , going to see if i can get a capture on my DC this time.
YouTube
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Very nice run, congrats on the clear, Trev! :D
Scoreboard will be updated in a minute.

And don't worry, I also needed about 2 and 1/2 months until I had my first 1CC. It simply takes a bit of time without a stage select mode.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

a bit better, think i have a nicer route through stage 6 and 7 now due to using my power-ups at different times.

https://ibb.co/T4HY32D

Trevor spencer - 1,579,000 - 2.1

Hokum
YouTube
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

That's a very nice 4th place on the board.
Congrats man, well deserved! :D
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Thanks

Id like to get 3rd place but not sure if I'm capable, the 2nd loop is brutal
YouTube
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Yep. I mostly mastered the the 2nd loop Cloud and City stages back in the day. A mistake can still always happen somehow...
And especially the Marine and Train stages have some parts that can brutally screw you.

Can you also practice the 2nd loop stages on the PCB by dying at the boss and continuing over and over to restart the stage?
That's what worked for me on the Dreamcast.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Battletoad wrote:
Can you also practice the 2nd loop stages on the PCB by dying at the boss and continuing over and over to restart the stage?
That's what worked for me on the Dreamcast.

Hi , Yes you can.

Thats what im going to try and see if i can improve. :)
YouTube
Buffi

Post by Buffi »

Apache: Buffi - 1,341,000 - 2-1

https://youtu.be/AxvGm3m9wdc