R-Type Final 2

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

R-Type Final 2

Post by Despatche »

aka Bydo Saga Cosmos

Currently unsure as to whether it's more or less silly than the original.
Please do not switch ships midgame. Again, let's stick to the starter ships for now. We no longer have an overt need for the Cross The Rubicon tables... yet. Dealing with DLC is going to be a headache.

There are somehow more difficulties in this game. For now, I'm sticking with Normal, R-Typer, and R-Typer 3. Those choices provide pretty good gaps in design: Normal is your default, R-Type is the hardest "standard" difficulty, and R-Typer 3 is the hardest thing available.
----------
Post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

DIFFICULTY - SHIP - ROUTE
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - MISSILE and BIT - DETAILS
ROUTE is for the three final pairs of stage 6 and 7. You select these in stage 5 with the crystals. I'm not sure what that fourth crystal does... yet.

Just use the letters for MISSILE and BIT, which you can see on the Hanger screen.

DETAILS is for which console or emulator, which region release, etc.

It's all silly and complicated, so here's an example:

Code: Select all

Normal - R-9A - Route 0
Despatche - 1,234,567 - ALL - H-R - PC (Steam)
Route 0 Route 1 Route 2 R-9F Andromalius
Route 0 Route 1 Route 2 R-Typer difficulty
R-9A Arrow-Head
Route 0 Route 1 Route 2 R-9D Shooting Star
Route 0 Route 1 R-Typer 3 difficulty
R-9A Arrow-Head
Route 0 Route 1 Route 2 R-9D Shooting Star
Route 0 Route 1
Last edited by Despatche on Thu May 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Re: R-Type Final 2

Post by EmperorIng »

Why not just have a separate entry for ships on the same line, and essentially just have difficulty-unified leaderboards? Maybe split for route if necessary. I wonder if separating the boards this much is going to make it too much of a headache for you to update 4 dozen different entries if it comes to that.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

R-Type Final (2) doesn't have a very good definition of what makes up a "line". The three starter ships also work really well as a set of playable ships in a shmup. What I really should do is take Icarus's comment that R-Typer 3 is the only really great difficulty seriously. The problem is that you have to unlock it.

The real problem is that having a billion characters and difficulties and branching paths and whatever else is not really a good thing, even if it's what people claim they want. The real problem is that Final (2) doesn't really work well as a game you keep scores for, even if people claim they want to compare.]

Hopefully basically noone will play the game, like with every other game, and I won't really have to worry about anything.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Most people going for top scores or even playing r-typer 3 casually will probably be switching ships between stages, so having a 'multiple ships' category would make sense imo and be the most populated.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

That is a shame and I really hate that the game allows that. It's just as much of a shame in the first game too. It completely defeats the purpose of having multiple ships when you can just pick the "good" ones and ignore the rest (i.e. the problem with having merged tables for any game), and it requires stupid arbitrary bans on specific ships.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

I don't know, there is more to learn in a run if you have to master multiple ships with different mechanics. Isn't that the opposite of ignoring ships? To me that's been more interesting than only piloting one ship (eg. a basic one with high firepowr). The 'good' ships you mention are probably more for cheesing a clear of the stages, not for score posting purposes. So not sure what you mean there. Different ships might be optimal for score in different stages, adding more complexity. Clearly the R-13 series is good for scoring in general but more difficult to use for clearing or getting 100% shot down than others..

What has been your own experience playing the game, you dislike using the mechanic playing through r-typer casually too? Or you enjoy different ships in different stages? The stupid ships will probably be the ultimate fighters which allow you to select any weapon / equipment combination. These are not in the game yet. Ironically the ship balance / variety might be at its best now in this early version.
Spoiler
R-TYPER 3 - MULTIPLE - 2
Zaarock - 1,411,183 - ALL - * - version 1.04, PS4(pro)

Basic no-miss run, only the first couple stages go for score properly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M09JrEoylQ
Can you find a single player doing runs of r-typer 3 with base ships, doesn't switch, and also goes for score? I don't think the stage 5 boss is even beatable with base ships. Maybe Andromalus, just barely. But you'd need a very special reason to be doing that to begin with as it's barely beatable with the upgraded version of Andromalus (Albatross, Eclipse). Since they rely on force attack a single death means your power is dead.

The common ship if locked to a single choice in r-typer 3 is Leo 2 which is extremely strong. A credit locked to that ship would be more simple/boring than a scoring run using different ships to match each stage, taking more risks where they can and only using cheesy ships when necessary (eg. stage 5 boss) rather than all the time.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Haven't got it yet... But my guess would be that every stage is beatable with every ship (harder or easier, but beatable). Otherwise the game needs to be rebalanced.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
DEL

Post by DEL »

Got it today. Surprisingly lying on the shelves of a mainstream store :o
Will start attacking when I'm finished with EX+ (which will be a while).
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

I only do single ship runs and and I also will go for the base ships, when I get stuck in one difficulty. But I've only gone through bydo so far. Dont't like the ship switching and I guess its harder to beat the whole game with one, because every ship has some weaker spots.

Is the R9 Arrowhead a too bad choice for the stage 5 boss? In Bydo I rely mostly on the red beams and I guess the arrowhead one is not so bad. But I haven't tried so far^^
xorthen

Post by xorthen »

You must be really good if you can beat this on anything higher than practice. Even regular R Type Final I could beat on Bydo.
Currently Playing:Astebreed,Crimzon Clover, Valhellio
Steven

Post by Steven »

First, somehow. Why does nobody play this? It's good.

Normal - R-9A - Route 4.0 -> 5.0 -> 7.2
Steven - 810,902 - ALL - H1-RA - Steam Deck OLED (Steam version 2.0.1)
Spoiler
No miss on Steam Deck. Not really sure how to get screenshots off of this thing and onto my normal computer, so a bad picture of the thing itself will have to do until I figure it out.

This game has had some additional stuff added to it since this thread was made. Now there are multiple stage 4s and multiple stage 5s and you go to them the same way you go to the various stage 6 and 7 routes. 4.1 is insanely difficult and forces you to go 5.1. Going to 4.1 or 5.1 also locks you into the 7.1 route.

Final 3 Evolved is also here and has its own exclusive course. No alternate stages for that, but most likely very few people care about any version of this game enough to want to post scores for it. I did no miss that a long time ago, but I used the R-101 Grand Finale, so yeah.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Oh right, I keep forgetting they keep updating this game in weird ways that make it impossible to track properly. I regret ever opening this thread. This is everything I complain about with Darius stage branching, but cranked up to 20.

If anyone actually wants this thread, they can have it. Fuck this. I appreciate you submitting something though, thank you.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I somehow doubt that anyone will track scores for this game because it's a mess. At the same time I don't think it matters because practically nobody is going to play this game anyway, which makes me sad because this game is good and cool.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Is nobody playing it? Possibly just not for score.
I had lost my motivation because of the extreme difficulty spike at the stage 2 Boss with R-Typer difficulty (if you dont want to play the most powerful ships I dont want to play bacause they break much of the level design). And the more balanced Bydo difficulty isnt tracked here. It was alike in R-Type Final 1. The stage 4 Boss was the extreme difficult spike with bydo difficulty I didnt wanted to adjust to.
ryu

Post by ryu »

If there weren't the Giga Wavecannon and ultimate ships I'd suggest to maintain a single table that allows every ship and swapping. Everyone could play whatever they wanted and it would add some strategizing for figuring out the best setups for scoring.

As is the game is just broken.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I would not be surprised if the best setup for scoring that isn't an ultimate fighter with Leo II parts and the Giga Wave Cannon is the Leo II itself. That thing is ridiculously good and I can't think of many reasons to use any other ships in most situations. The only exception, besides the ultimate fighters, is the Sweet Luna, which is extremely useful on stage 4.0.