ZeroRanger (Final Boss)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Stevens

Re: ZeroRanger (Final Boss)

Post by Stevens »

Haven't played in two weeks, but my first credit got me a little closer. Ms. Garra ended my journey after a hard fought battle.
Spoiler
My lord, I have come for you.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Normal (Green-Orange?) - Type-B (I-IV-VI)
EmperorIng - 689,654 - 2-4
[DISREGARD; NEW SCORE BELOW]

Score is getting better, but for fuck's sake I am taking so many hits on 2-2 and 2-3. It's handicapping me to get to the TLB with only 1 or 2 hits. Given my luck my final 1cc will be less than this fucking score.

EDIT: Improvement over the last one. Maybe 700K is possible. I lose way too many lives on the fucking train in 2-3. It's just aggravating. I at least managed to get to the boss with four health, but that only got me halfway.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

WHOO. Damn, despite feeling sleep creep in on me, and having to restart st1 out of obsessive compulsion 4 times in a row (a stray hit killing my useless chain), I FINALLY 1CC'd ZERORANGER!
Spoiler
BUMP ME UP A SLOT BABY.

Normal (Green-Orange) - Type-B (I-IV-VI)
EmperorIng - 787,404 - ALL

My score was really helped by the fact that my overload chain after the Ar-Typo boss maintained itself and I was able to rack up a nice x86 combo on most of the spider mechs in the tunnels. Completely-by-luck, but I'll take it!

Given that I totally messed up my attempt last night (final boss down to almost no health, and I slip up and die on the drill attack), I was more than enough worried that this would go similarly. The train in 2-3 started to take its toll but I managed to worm my way out with the drill and fight the boss with 5 health and no-miss. This meant 7 health for the final boss. Despite fucking up the orb absorption, I was able to use the charge shot to crowd control and sneak past that phase.

The charge shot (IV) on Type-B has mostly situational uses, but being able to stop boss attacks, move around, and do continuous damage was enough to let me use it to force my way through harder sections - 1-3's ZeroRanger fight, 1-4's floating heads, 1-4 boss, etc. While the lockon seems to be the one for scoring potential, survival I feel favors IV's more meaty power.

I feel like I got lucky with the final boss. I managed to not take hits on its large Hand attack and Backshot attack, which usually corner me. By the end I got cocky enough to go in for the drill before triggering the final phase, heart pumping loudly (now that I was in the clear!). I -almost- made it out of the escape tunnel with bonus health, but towards the end it was just too much.

I've put about 3 dozen hours total in this game, and I'm glad I took the time to learn and practice it. The 'story' mode is what drew me in and made me really love the game (I wish I could play that again* despite 'lore' reasons arguing against it), but it's been a fun one to practice for the clear, even with all my aggravated griping. This is the first shmup this year (since the trp-stgt!) I took the time to practice all the way to the end, and is easily my favorite new shmup release for 2018.

*without, you know, wiping my data
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Awesome. Congrats man! Nice score too.

I'm still a bit of a ways myself from the clear. I've been playing only one or two credits the last few weeks - not enough to get much better, but enough not to get worse. I've made 2-4, but need to get more consistent with Despair.
My lord, I have come for you.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The only downside to practicing 2-4 is that if you do it from the stage-select screen, the rank is lowered - when you get there on a full run the speed and bullet amount of all the attacks are significantly higher. It's better than nothing, though. I ground 2-4 practice several times before I felt a -midge- more confident. However, the biggest insurance for the fight is getting there with enough hits to tank it. That just means getting through 2-2 and 2-3 without making mistakes. :wink:

Thanks, too! If you're still on Green-Orange mode, you're in for a big treat after TLB!
Dinir

Post by Dinir »

Green Orange - Type-C
Dinir - 626,715 - ALL - 2018/10/02
Spoiler
Show Type-C some love!
Prinny

Post by Prinny »

ZeroRanger - Normal - Type-B (I-IV-VI)
Prinny - 935,127 - ALL - 2018/12/22

Screenshot
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice score, Prinny! You must have kept up a good chain going in the second loop. I'm not great at keeping a 128x, as my score shows. Where do you think you made the most gains?
Dinir wrote: Show Type-C some love!
Agreed, though scrubs like me will always gravitate towards the easier ship :mrgreen: I've seen some marvelous stuff with Tybe-C's charge attack though, absorbing bullets and annihilating enemies with the laser. I'm no good at it (yet).
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

ZeroRanger - Green orange
M.Knight - 717,584 - 2-4 - Type B (I-IV-VI)
Spoiler
Recording here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqoxtH2btqw

I feel like I am near the end, what with the foreboding atmosphere and all that. I am currently stuck against a boss that
Spoiler
throws sets of orbs you have to quickly destroy to advance.
While I more or less know what I have to do, it's a bit hard not to make mistakes after a 45min run. But just like any other ZeroRanger obstacle, it is never as unsurmountable as it seems, so I am confident.

And congratulations EmperorIng for the clear! :D
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks! The final part where there were 6 orbs was a big hurdle for a while. Erppo's video shows you can absorb all 6 at the cost of one life. This is the strategy I settled on - you just have to do it fast with good positioning. Good luck!
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Yup, I was told about this strategy and it seems to be the most efficient one (as long as you have a spare life of course! :lol: ) but I struggle even earlier, with a lower amount of orbs. Because I get in a rush to destroy them before they disappear, I tend to do stupid stuff like getting close to the orbs to use the flamethrower or the drill and getting hit in the process. I'll have to adjust my attack style to take them out from a distance, until the final set comes up.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
the1truepickaxe

Post by the1truepickaxe »

This game references a lot of shmups, but it is the spiritual successor only to radiant silvergun. It even references how the final fight turns into a psychadellic clusterfuck with pure dodging.
Spoiler
I mean the one where it erases your save if you die
Last edited by the1truepickaxe on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

Green Orange - Type-B (I-IV-VI)
WarpZone - 644,205 - ALL - 2018/10/02
Spoiler
Haven't even tried Type-C yet... savoring the game :D
CRI

Post by CRI »

let me join this thread :)

Green Orange - Type-B (I-III-VI)
CRI - 801,601 - ALL - 2018/12/22

replay: https://youtu.be/hJ6LKUtJVm0
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Welcome. Another ALL is always acceptable.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Here's a little score update :

ZeroRanger - Green Orange
M.Knight - 737,125 - 2-4 - Type B (I-IV-VI)
Spoiler
Recording : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VDsAplDijA

I cleared the orb boss phase this time but my run ended against the next boss.
x91

Post by x91 »

ZeroRanger - Normal/Green Orange

x91 - 847,827 - 2-ALL - Type-C (I-III-VI)

and

x91 - 836,687 - 2-ALL - Type-B (I-III-VI)

A lot of mistakes and many bad/unfinished patterns, but considering them as first 1ccs with both ships I'm quite content.

I'm done with this game, for now :wink: Perhaps will revisit it after I did some real progress in Ketsui

The replay videos are here: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av40517642, uploading Type-C video and it should be ready by tomorrow.
The newer version of Chinese Leaderboard is here! Check it out :>
andrew_F-91

Post by andrew_F-91 »

Type B II-III-V 1-3

Died just before finishing off the boss.
zoydo

Post by zoydo »

Green Orange
zoydo - 209.777 - Stage 1-4 - Type-B (I-III-VI)
TOB
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Ugh, I've got to finally add the weapons and I'm not looking forward to it...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Dinir

Post by Dinir »

Green Orange - Type-C
Dinir - 779,351 - ALL - 2019/01/13
Spoiler
Achieved at the first day of March.
Uh... was not as exciting as when I got my first 1cc. :(

My goal was >800K and All SE-bonuses, didn't reach either...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

nonetheless, a great improvement! Look forward to catching the video to see how you handle the trains on 2-3. :mrgreen:
Dinir

Post by Dinir »

You can do this cool thing in both Stage 3. And you can even keep your multiplier if you're keep shooting while doing this.
I couldn't do that in this run. I got a hit while not being able to do that. :(
I felt very bad playing the train section.
Zaxdar

Post by Zaxdar »

ZeroRanger - Green Orange - Type B

Zaxdar - 352500 - 2-2

Nahar

Post by Nahar »

Green Orange - Type-B
Nahar - 584853 - ALL - 4 February 2023