Weely Online Shmeet #1 (Donpachi)

landshark

Post by landshark »

Landshark - 4,343,400 - 1-4 - B Mame(US)

I hate this game.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

landshark wrote:I hate this game.
HAHAHAHA :lol:
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

TalkingOctopus - 5,314,020 - 1-5 - Type C - MAME(JPN)
I survived around 10 seconds in level 4, and I was killed by an enemy who CAME FROM BEHIND WITHOUT ANY WARNING..
This happens to me often as well. It is really annoying. Colliding into another ship is an embarassing way to die!
Most people coming from DDP to DP start with Type C (and may not even try the other ships) because it's godly in DDP... but it really is too slow in DP. Although the "role" of each of the ships is the same in each game, their specific characteristics are balanced quite differently
Yeah...I am one of those people who started on DDP and am still stuck on type C. I've played quite a bit of DonPachi, but not recently (Other than tonight to get this score).
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

DAMN! :evil: Tier III again. If one more person starts playing and places in Tier III, I can get bumped back up to Tier II. I'm not counting on it though :?
My Collection
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Tomtom - 3,933,160 - Type A - 1-4 - MAME (USA)

So close to 4 mil! Is there another extend there?

Also, the fourth level gets way more fun when you get to the giant battleship midway through. It's like a manic Truxton :)
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

Well it's not much of an improvement, but it is an improvement.

Shalashaska - 5,835,460 - 1-5 - Type C - MAME

I'm playing the US version by the way.
Shatterhand wrote: After panic bombing all the time in the 3rd boss because I had no more lives left, I survived around 10 seconds in level 4, and I was killed by an enemy who CAME FROM BEHIND WITHOUT ANY WARNING..

OOOHH, that was SO UNFAIR... crashing into ships shouldn't kill me! :)
Well the announcer did tell you to watch your tail. :wink:

Edit: Woops, didn't realize the image was so small. :?
Peace Through Violence
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Skyline - 3,745,230 - 1-4 - Type C - MAME
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

TalkingOctopus wrote: This happens to me often as well. It is really annoying. Colliding into another ship is an embarassing way to die!
More embarassing than this is colliding into a BOSS which I did twice with the 2nd boss this week... :)
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Small improvement;

freddiebamboo - 3,498,210 - 1-4 - Type A - MAME US Ver
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Can't see me making past that boss anytime soon, but got a new score;

freddiebamboo - 3,829,370 - 1-4 - Type A - MAME US Ver
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

Ah beaten by 30 points? Come on! :x :wink:
Peace Through Violence
punkfox

Post by punkfox »

Grah, I hate Stage 4.

Punkfox - 3,744,350 - 1-4 -Type A - MAME
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Ok, Donpachi now scores an important thing in my life.

For the 1st time I exploded in rage after losing 2 consecutive lives in a stupid way and seeing the game over just close to beat my own record.

When I lost the 1st life (Which wasn't all that stupid) I yelled something like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SOOOOOON OOOOOOOOOF BIIIIIIIIITCHH" , and seconds later I lost another life, which just made kick the table, throw the chair I was sitting and kick a bottle of water (Made of plastic, thank god :D) which was near of me, which ricocheted in the wall twice while yelling many profanities.

Then I looked at the screen "Continue?" , and noticed I never got so angry by playing a game. (And I rarely get angry about anything, anyone who knows me would be shocked to see me like that)

So I quit Mame and came here to tell you guys... my heart is still beating a little too fast.. :)

FUCK CAVE, I HATE YOU!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Shatterhand wrote:FUCK CAVE, I HATE YOU!
Hahaha! At least you know Cave are doing something right when a respected shmupper takes a fit of rage after dying ^_-

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In any case, my first time in the second loop (yeah, yeah, I'm a Donpachi Second Loop Virgin):

Icarus - 11,972,180 - 2-2 - Type C - MAME (JPN)

Image Image

Took the first life past the fourth boss, but had to bomb a few times to stay alive in the stage. Lost one or two lives from snipers and that large Type A-shaped battering ram in stage 5, and had an Extend spare coming into the second loop. Then lost it early with a full bomb stock, totally unprepared for the amount of suicide bullets -_-;;

Ended the run at the 2-2 boss with a bomb to spare >_<#

The amount of stuff that flies in from the bottom of the screen, or takes a potshot at you from sniping cover makes me think that Cave took more from Seibu Kaihatsu in the making of Donpachi than Toaplan.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Shatterhand wrote:FUCK CAVE, I HATE YOU!
As the saying goes, love the sinner (Cave), hate the sin (that game). ;)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

yeah, yeah.. :)

I am still a little shocked, I never reacted like that in my life before... :)

I enjoy this game, but I feel it's too cheap at certain points indeed...

I am not exactly a great shmupper, but I am not horrible either, but I just suck at games made by Cave.... DP, DDP, Esprade, Dangun Feveron.. you name it, I suck at it. Only in Guwange I am not that bad...

BTW, I could add the new scores, but I don't know how Ramus will divide the Tiers now, so I'll let him do it. Obviously Icarus goes to Tier 1, but I think the other 2 players there should stay there (At this point it's clear the 3 different levels of players here :D)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

I think this puts me in 2nd place of tier 3:

Shatterhand - 4,007,260 - Type B - 1-4 - Mame

Killed the 2nd boss without dying for the 1st time! (I have more trouble with him than with level 3 boss)

Do people manage to focus on chaining in level 1-4 ? I focus that in level 1 and 2, and in some parts of 3, but level 4 is crazy! I was justing shooting like crazy... of course I end up chaining by luck...

And how many points do people manage to do in level 1? My best is around the 730,000 points (Which was exactly at that hi-score run)

I wish I had an arcade stick to play this... I am playing it on keyboard... my only other option is a PS2 dualshock with a PS2-USB adapter, which just doesn't feel right (And strangely, sometimes I am TAPPING the button and I fire the LASER! Am I *that* fast? :) )

Like I said, I'll wait Ramus to update the table for now...
Last edited by Shatterhand on Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Shatterhand wrote:Do people manage to focus on chaining in level 1-4 ? I focus that in level 1 and 2, and in some parts of 3, but level 4 is crazy! I was justing shooting like crazy... of course I end up chaining by luck...
There are several 50-70HIT chains in stage4, but they are pretty tricky to do, and I've only ever managed them with Type C. There is also a large 120HIT+ near the end of the stage, and it involves quickly destroying those three large ships - the ones that fill the screen with missiles - so that the last wave of drones is activated. Again, I've found it easier to chain with Type C, and only with a fully powered Type C at that.

Starting to get pretty consistent with chaining in the first three stages. I can finish stage1 with 1.1mil, stage2 with 2.8mil and stage3 with 5.1mil. I'd so dearly love to No Bomb the first loop, just to get a shot at the 5mil Bomb Capacity Bonus in the second loop.

Not likely though, with the stage4 boss being a major obstacle -_-;;
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

So you are making around 800,000 points more than me by the end of level 2, heh.

In my best run I had 2 mil at the end of stage 2... I still didn't notice how many points I have in the end of stage 3, as I am usually too much full of adrenaline to look at my score, hehe :)
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Shatterhand wrote:And how many points do people manage to do in level 1? My best is around the 730,000 points (Which was exactly at that hi-score run)
I'm currently averaging 86x,xxx by the end of 1-1 using Type A during better runs. Never seen any DP superplays or anything...Er, edit:
Icarus wrote:I can finish stage1 with 1.1mil
Shit man, demonstration please?
Last edited by crithit5000 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
now tighter than your sister
punkfox

Post by punkfox »

Okay, I did a little better this time....so close to 4 million....

Punkfox - 3,976,970 - 1-4 - Type A - MAME
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Damn, I was in Tier II for about 5 minutes, now I'm near the bottom of Tier III. All hopes of being a top player so I might win a prize and save some money are quickly deminishing :lol:
My Collection
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Hey mate, I dunno what other people think, but I think NTSC-J should be in Tier 1... he obviously is not at the same level of the other people in tier 2, and this would make possible for other people trying to be at the top spot of tier 2.

Bah, everyone can score better than me :) . I'll give up playing for score and I'll just try to survive :)
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Agreed, the 5 mil point difference between him and Tomtom is jarring. It's obvious he's a league ahead of the tier 2 players.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Okay, if you guys really want him there that badly. I was going to wait for a few more people to join before I bumped him up there, but I guess it really doesn't matter.
My Collection
landshark

Post by landshark »

Still don't find this game to be much fun ... but love the competition.

Landshark - 6,650,180 - C - Mame(US)

I usually have about 480,000 at the end of stage 1 (after bonuses and killing the boss etc...)
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Um, actually, my high score is a little under 4 million, not 6. Just...thought I'd point that out.

*cries*

I do usually get 6-700,000 by the end of stage 1, though :)
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

landshark wrote:I usually have about 480,000 at the end of stage 1 (after bonuses and killing the boss etc...)
If I don't screw up badly, I have over 500,000 going into the stage 1 boss (when the "WARNING" sign appears) Fully half of this score comes from chaining the tanks, powerup carriers, buildings and hidden stars right before the boss. I can do a 42 chain here regularly, and I'm sure a higher and much more lucrative chain is possible (especially if I figure out how to incorporate the large tank that kicks off this section into the chain)

I just recently noticed a single star off to the right of the first group of "bush turrets" in the stage (where the first item carrier is) I'm sure there's some way to use this star to extend a chain--either from the initial helicopters to the bushes and powerup carrier, or from the bushes and carrier to the next group of helicopters and tanks...
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

crithit5000 wrote:
Icarus wrote:I can finish stage1 with 1.1mil
Shit man, demonstration please?
This one's close enough.

>> Player: Icarus // Stage 1, Type C, 1.09mil total pointgain (XVID - 38MB)

I think about 65HIT+ at the end of stage1 is possible (my best is 55HIT), as I think I've figured out how to add the six small tanks and the large tank into the chain. Just need to develop a consistent route for Type C to take.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

No new high, but...

1.1 mil on stage one is mine! :twisted: