Assault & Assault Plus [Arcade/PS1]

Kino

Assault & Assault Plus [Arcade/PS1]

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:29 am, edited 37 times in total.
Kino

Re: Assault [Arcade/PS1]

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kino

Re: Assault [Arcade/PS1]

Post by Kino »

Aquas

Re: Assault & Assault Plus [Arcade/PS1]

Post by Aquas »

Assault
Aquas - 451,400 - ALL - Arcade

Replay: https://www.twitch.tv/aquas_/v/51488726

Assault Plus
Aquas - 563,550 - ALL - Super - Arcade

Replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1AH_sNDG18

I'd be curious to know what your solution for the last stage in Assault Plus is compared to mine once you get to it. Hint: the solution I found was stupid. Also Assault Plus has what I fondly refer to as "Depressed tanks" -- tank drivers who lose the the will to fight after their first volley. It's so weird, but its a thing.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Assault
maximo- 81,300- Stage 4-Arcade

Assault Plus
maximo-73,000- Stage 4-Easy-Arcade

Popped in a few creds today. Both versions are awesome, but my keyboard setup is making the controls too cumbersome. I'd appreciate any help with better control setups; I know that the PS1 version sets up the roll and nuclear missile on the L1 and R1 triggers, although that vol. 4 of namco museum is getting to be somewhat expensive.

P.S. The soundtrack is amazing!
Kino

Post by Kino »

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably gonna get the Vol. 4 pack for my collection and see how it controls to this one, since I only have 1 arcade stick at the moment. The only romsets I've seen for Assault in MAME have the 0 seconds glitch, while Assault Plus fixes this. Anyways, here's some new scores

Assault:
maximo-139,100- Stage 5- Arcade

Assault Plus:
maximo-170,500- Stage 5- Easy- Arcade

Looks like the easy assault in Assault Plus is only 5 stages; is there any extra bonuses upon completion of that mode?
Kino

Post by Kino »

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

New scores for the week:

Assault:
maximo-233,900- Stage 7- Arcade

Assault Plus:
maximo-802,900-ALL-Easy-Arcade
maximo- 104,600- 3- Super- Arcade

Finally got past stage 5 on vanilla Assault with an extra life, but I couldn't do stage 7 on a blind run and ran out of time trying to take the missle tanks from a safe place. And plus (super) stage 3 I ran out of time at the end trying to bait out all of those missiles.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

New scores
Assault:
maximo-401,500- Stage 10- Arcade

Assault Plus:
maximo-151,800- Stage 4- Super
Kino

Post by Kino »

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Haven't made any more progress in vanilla Assault since Wed., but I did get my first no-miss on Assault Plus Easy:
Assault Plus:
maximo- 1,010,150- ALL-Easy- Arcade
Kino

Post by Kino »

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Haha, looks like you took my top spot for Plus Easy, for now!!!
Anyways, I did take no.1 somewhere else:

Assault:
maximo-472,400- Stage 10- Arcade

^ Done by using the 0 seconds glitch on the first 5 stages to give a huge boost in score; but i keep running out of lives from stage 9 ( using the assault pad is unpredictable with that one tank shooting missiles in the distance), and stage 10 ( black aircraft), so I got stuck at that 3 layer gunwall at the end. 8k more for another extend....
Last edited by maximo310 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Small gain for today:

Assault: maximo- 501,500- Stage 11 -Arcade

I did some more research on the mame romsets, and I think the only the old version of assault is dumped into MAME at the moment ( and treated as the parent file). Especially since it seems there are "old" and "new" records recorded, two different soundtracks ( second one is the same as the first, but the sound is more balanced and was on the Namco Video Game Grafttiti Vol 3. soundtrack ) which would mean that the PS1 version is based off of the " new version" romset, since the Namco Museum series appear to be straight arcade ports.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

First clear!
Assault: maximo- 550,800- ALL-Arcade
( exactly 1 month after I started learning this game)
Assault Plus:
maximo- 285,800- Stage 6- Super
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Glad that you guys are playing Assault. It really is a wonderful game, isn't it?

Grats on the clear, maximo310! And good luck on Super Assault!

Interesting about the old and new romsets, a different soundtrack for New set? That's certainly something. I should really pick this up off of PSN where it's readily available for purchase on the Namco Museum Vol. 3 I believe.

Score isn't interesting to me yet in this game, but I think I will try it out, soon enough :).
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Aquas wrote:Glad that you guys are playing Assault. It really is a wonderful game, isn't it?

Grats on the clear, maximo310! And good luck on Super Assault!

Interesting about the old and new romsets, a different soundtrack for New set? That's certainly something. I should really pick this up off of PSN where it's readily available for purchase on the Namco Museum Vol. 3 I believe.

Score isn't interesting to me yet in this game, but I think I will try it out, soon enough :).
Thanks Aquas!!

The new version soundtrack is more like they rebalanced the various sound channels, since I remember an interview where S.Hosoe said that their System 2 sound drivers were incomplete during the game's development. The main difference is that the PCM is more overpowering in the original " old" version, while the "new" version ( which is what the version in Namco Museum Vol.4 is based on ) let you hear more of the FM sound in the music and sound effects.

The scoring is defenitely something you should check out, especially since the " old" version can net you considerable bonuses with the "00" seconds glitch, and it probably added at least 60k extra to my score. I'm planning on writing up a strategy guide or something to showcase some of my scoring tips, since the game ( even moreso with Assault Plus) throws so much at you. Assault Plus also gives a crapton of score for remaining lives at the end too.
Kino

Post by Kino »

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

It's true that I made some assumptions about that, I think more research is needed before making conclusions on this stuff.
I don't think the new revision of arcade Assault is available to play on MAME either; I'll see if I can find any videos for that version.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Two new PB's for today:

Assault:
maximo-573,500- ALL- Arcade Vid ( in potato quality, whoops) : https://youtu.be/5Ro9Ub7uAIs or http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vn542

and
Assault Plus:
maximo- 1,014,150- Easy-ALL

And yes, i'm using a keyboard for this with EDSF and IJKL for my sticks. I'm trying to work out a trade with someone for a ps1 analog controller ( scph 1110), but its falling apart due to no reponse on his end.
Kino

Post by Kino »

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Thanks, I think I could probably push the score a bit more, but I was a bit worried about my lives at the end there, since I had a few unexpected deaths. I could probably get over 600k if I continue to work on improving my score ( which would give me another extend).
I'm not too knowledgeable about the SPCH 1110 , but this guide might help: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=594613

I just realized that the Kunio Okawara ( based on characters designed by in credits) was the principal mech designer for the original Mobile Suit Gundam and a bunch of other super robot shows. I thought that was pretty cool that the guy who designed the original Gundam had quite a hand in this game.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Didn't get much time last week to practice Assault Plus at all, but did get a new PB for reg Assault:

Assault:
maximo-630,400-ALL- Arcade ( http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wnax9)
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Assault Plus:

maximo-563,350- Stage 9- Super- https://www.twitch.tv/ggmaximo/v/95220877

So I made a new PB, but I realized I was just 200 points from Aquas' score. A cleaner beginning would defenitely help my run, and get me to stage 10; still don't know how I'm gonna beat that.

Edit:
Assault Plus:
maximo- 594,550- Stage 9- Super

Post the bottom one. Can provide screenshot for proof if needed.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Some new stuff:

Assault Plus:
maximo-659,150- Stage 10- Super- Arcade

i really should have had a clear run, but wasn't able to pull it off due to getting snipped earlier on

Assault:
maximo- 671,200- ALL- Arcade

Both runs are here: https://www.twitch.tv/ggmaximo/v/96226208 ( 10/21 stream)

Also got this earlier in the week, and might be of interest if there is ever a need for a region split

Assault (Japan)
maximo- 620,900- ALL- Arcade

^ Not much different here besides easier stages 1-3, and a much tougher stage 7 w/ armored tanks.
Kino

Post by Kino »

maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Kino wrote:
maximo310 wrote: ^ Not much different here besides easier stages 1-3, and a much tougher stage 7 w/ armored tanks.
Ah. Good to know it wasn't just my imagination that they had less HP in the world arcade version.

If you're looking to push it all the way with vanilla Assault, check out this milking strat for stage 5. I didn't notice it myself until just the other day, lol. The minitank blocks respawn indefinitely, so if you have the confidence, you can milk them until you have no extra lives left, then head to the end of the stage when it starts getting down to the wire. The guy in the vid doesn't spend any extra lives on this, but pulls off almost 800K regardless. I'd imagine this strat alone isn't enough to break the WR, but it would almost assuredly get you into the ballpark.

Also, not to be a stickler or anything... but I did notice you using frameskip alot in your video. I'm unsure what this site's rules are for using frameskip, but I do know they've disqualified scores for pausing. Granted, you're not gaining any serious advantage by using it (other then dramatically lessening the fatigue from waiting for the timer to tick down)... nonetheless, I feel I should discourage it in the future.
Yep, it also applies to those missile tanks as well; they have more hp as well in that version as well.

I watched that run which formed the basis of my 670k run w/o some of the risker strats, but with that tip, I could probably get a score over the western record ( especially since he isn't using defaults, his time and lives are at difficulty C, not B due to inaccurate info from some dude on Twin Galaxies). I'm not sure how the world record is 1 mil+; is there any video of that superplay?
And I usually use that frameskip for stage 1 and stage 5, but I can totally skip that and just wait it out legitly. I guess my twitch viewers might get really bored from the waiting, but I'll follow your advice when I post my newer scores. Thankfully, Assault Plus runs should be fine since they fixed the time glitch in that version too.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.