double elimination round 1

Yazphier

Re: double elimination round 1

Post by Yazphier »

Alot more nicer with a big bracket
ACSeraph wrote: So basically we don't even have to play week 2, and then we are totally all kindsa fucked against Legendary Saucy in Round 3.

Game over man! Game over!

Please don't make round 2 Darius, I really want to play that game against an actual opponent :(
We had that in the old bracket, difference now thou, is that we were supposed to meet legendary saucey after another 2 rounds (sexy parodius) again (assuming we don't loose in looser bracket)

Assuming the games are played in order (as we've done until now)
you'll get to play Darius against sed kollision or sid omega (assuming you loose against legendary saucey in 19xx)
and assuming you won't loose in the looser bracket, you'll end up the rematch against legnedary saucey at earliest at round 9 (depending on how good they perform on ddpach round 8 )
or round 8 if they somehow manage to loose while playing sexy parodius... o.O, which i strongly doubt

Also, you get to play alot more while in looser brackets.. :/

GimmeClassics/Wolfman:
Edge wrote:@GimmeClassics:
You guys have been doing a good job so far...
I would agree with this, and with the brackets rewoked, it feels even better.
I understand that running it abroad alot of forums is a bit of a hassle, and that part seems to be running really smooth.
But why do you insist on having the results as images, and i cannot find a nice overview on the results (might be better now when u add it into the brackets)
if you want to handle scores in as a spreadsheet, why just no have it in a public viewable googledocs?
as for example, if i want to see the results of round 3, i have to head to page 6 in the thread, or week2 @ page 5, i the midst between normal scoresubmits etc..
maybe created a few placeholder posts in the start of the thread would had been a good idea?
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

ACSeraph wrote:Sooo... another quick suggestion. Those teams with zero as their score, why not just disqualify them and match up the teams that have a registered score? Otherwise Batrider and the loser's bracket is going to be kind of dumb for people who get matched against no-show teams.
Teams who didn't play any game in the seedings rounds haven't qualified for the elimination tournament. There are also a couple of teams who have only played one or two seeding rounds. If they also choose to not compete in the elimination tournament they will automatically leave the tournament after two weeks after having lost two rounds. So I don't want to change teams and matches again...sorry. The decision to disqualify teams should have been clear from the start of our contest anyway....

With so many contestants at different forums we can't please everyone with everything. I hope you understand this and will still enjoy playing our contest :)
ACSeraph wrote:EDIT: Also I clicked your link but I don't see where the new matchups are listed
link > please look at the image with all the hi-scores. On the right side all the "Matches and Team Hi-Scores" are being shown and right above the image we've provided a link to the "bracket-view"
ACSeraph wrote:Also we can't download the final results without joining your forum. Is there any reason you can't just copy and paste the info here?
I didn't realize you had to register to see the attached image with the final seeding round results. Sorry for that. I'll also publish this info here shortly...
Yazphier wrote: I understand that running it abroad alot of forums is a bit of a hassle, and that part seems to be running really smooth.
But why do you insist on having the results as images, and i cannot find a nice overview on the results (might be better now when u add it into the brackets)
if you want to handle scores in as a spreadsheet, why just no have it in a public viewable googledocs?
link > please look at the image in this post where you find a nice overview on the results and - not being an attached image - it's also public viewable ;) If I am right Hi-score results can't be added into the brackets at challonge.com. Wolf has created this bracket so I'll have to ask him to be sure. He won't be online for a few days though...
Yazphier wrote:as for example, if i want to see the results of round 3, i have to head to page 6 in the thread, or week2 @ page 5, i the midst between normal scoresubmits etc.. maybe created a few placeholder posts in the start of the thread would had been a good idea?
link > I have been using placeholders already at the start of my thread at GameEx. Just below "Tournament standings" ;) If you want I could also provide these links here...
wolfman24

Post by wolfman24 »

still home for now but won't be for long thanks for the kind words Yazphier, I am finding it very easy to take care of the different sites plus you guys make it easier for me to find your scores. on challonge the scores can't be added without post a winner to the bracket part but I been adding the scores here http://challonge.com/shootemup/comments.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

So is that it? 5 stages?
does it loop?
why do I get the sewer stage after the first one sometimes?

I suck and I'm lazy, that's why I didn't go after the answers.... :oops:

Kollision - 2,586,660 - ALL

trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's only 5 stages because normal course. Advanced has 7 stages.

I really wish the organizer of this tournament even played the games he's picking. Seriously.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

trap15 wrote:It's only 5 stages because normal course. Advanced has 7 stages.

I really wish the organizer of this tournament even played the games he's picking. Seriously.
Why do you make such assumptions if you don't know that's true...? I co-organize this contest with Wolfman. I just like to play and organize a nice competition and I'm really not THAT good at shmup-games. Up unitil now I haven't even played shmup-games that much and did never loop any game. So I just didn't know there were only 5 rounds. Besides that > nobody HAS to play in our contest. It's all about having fun, nothing more and nothing less.

We have published info about playing all of our games at default settings. So a kind request to all those veteran shmup-players > if there are any other things we should take in consideration besides playing the next game at default settings, please let us know !!
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Choosing the mode has about as little to do with the default settings as choosing a ship. It's just the case that there are three games in one (or four but who plays Training course).
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

As requested before. Here's a link to the seeding rounds final results.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Erppo wrote:Choosing the mode has about as little to do with the default settings as choosing a ship. It's just the case that there are three games in one (or four but who plays Training course).
This. Sure, the cursor is on Normal by default technically, but the serious scoring competition is usually for the game mode with all the levels, i.e. Advanced Course. But yeah, you should be specific, especially when this game (as well as Battle Garegga and possibly Bakraid) offer a huge number of options like guest characters, Stage Edit, etc. The rules should be as specific as possible for the games in a tourney, like "Any character selection is fine, we're playing Normal Course/Advanced Course, Stage Edit Allowed/Disallowed". Especially for games that have difficulty/course selections built into their selection screens that are different game modes and not simply settings found in the test menu (there's really not many arcade shmups that do this, but this applies to Mushi and Futari as well). Games like these often have their scoreboards for each mode separated within the game for a reason, because each one is really a different game mode, with a different score potential for each, so the score table for a Normal Course isn't directly comparable with what's possible on an Advanced Course run.

...training really sucks, that autobomb just wastes bombs unnecessarily and actually makes it more difficult!...
chum

Post by chum »

Teams of four isn't default, either
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

BareknuckleRoo wrote: This. Sure, the cursor is on Normal by default technically, but the serious scoring competition is usually for the game mode with all the levels, i.e. Advanced Course. But yeah, you should be specific, especially when this game (as well as Battle Garegga and possibly Bakraid) offer a huge number of options like guest characters, Stage Edit, etc. The rules should be as specific as possible for the games in a tourney, like "Any character selection is fine, we're playing Normal Course/Advanced Course, Stage Edit Allowed/Disallowed". Especially for games that have difficulty/course selections built into their selection screens that are different game modes and not simply settings found in the test menu (there's really not many arcade shmups that do this, but this applies to Mushi and Futari as well). Games like these often have their scoreboards for each mode separated within the game for a reason, because each one is really a different game mode, with a different score potential for each, so the score table for a Normal Course isn't directly comparable with what's possible on an Advanced Course run.

...training really sucks, that autobomb just wastes bombs unnecessarily and actually makes it more difficult!...
This is making sense. We'll try to be more specific with the next game. I'll PM Wolf which game will be played next week. Thank you.

Tournament standings have been updated > link
Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena »

Is there any rhyme or reason to getting the extra bosses to appear?
Squirrel power for the win
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The various cameo bosses all appear under specific conditions. See Icarus's really good strategy guide (what you want is the "SPECIAL BOSS APPEARANCES" section):

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=26814
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

chum wrote:Teams of four isn't default, either
hmmm.... why was i choosing 4 ships then?
I didn't do anything, got both roms in the folder, hit 5 and 1 and go....
this game is an utter mess, really, in trap15's tourney I also couldn't make this damn thing work according to his specs

I'm using shmupmame v3b BTW
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

this game is an utter mess, really, in trap15's tourney I also couldn't make this damn thing work according to his specs
Make sure you're playing with the default dip switch options. Delete the .cfg and nvram files for Batrider to fix this, or go into the game, press Tab -> Dip Switches -> Set Lives to 3 as opposed to 4.
Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:The various cameo bosses all appear under specific conditions. See Icarus's really good strategy guide (what you want is the "SPECIAL BOSS APPEARANCES" section):

Ah, thanks for the link, an interesting read! Probably against the rules for this tourney to put in the cheat that allows for selecting the extra chars, but will keep it in mind when playing from now on. Garegga planes all the way! :mrgreen:
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Sel Feena wrote:
BareknuckleRoo wrote:The various cameo bosses all appear under specific conditions. See Icarus's really good strategy guide (what you want is the "SPECIAL BOSS APPEARANCES" section):

Ah, thanks for the link, an interesting read! Probably against the rules for this tourney to put in the cheat that allows for selecting the extra chars, but will keep it in mind when playing from now on. Garegga planes all the way! :mrgreen:
I would assume all the extra select codes are allowed, because 1) they commonly are with this game, and 2) the commands are available when the game is running at the default settings.

Of course this is just my thoughts on it, I don't know what the tournament holders actually think.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sel Feena wrote:Ah, thanks for the link, an interesting read! Probably against the rules for this tourney to put in the cheat that allows for selecting the extra chars, but will keep it in mind when playing from now on. Garegga planes all the way! :mrgreen:
Unless the tourney rules specifically state no extra/guest characters, you should assume they're allowed. There's no reason not to allow them (it's not like they're seriously overpowered compared to the standard characters) and using the extra characters if anything makes things tougher as you'll likely face extra bosses from their respective games. I'm pretty sure there's arcades in Japan that have the settings enabled for players, so why not use them? Stage edit's the only thing that's sometimes not allowed (I think it's disallowed in the score threads here), but again, that's really up to the tourney organizers. I have no idea if messing with stage edit allows for serious differences in score potential or not.

Garegga has Mahou characters in it too, but I think that needs to be enabled via a code each time you play. Again, nobody considers using them cheating or unfair, they're not grossly unbalanced or anything compared to the standard planes.
Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena »

^ No, I get that; when I've used the random team option and ended up with Mahou/Garegga characters they've never felt overpowered. But still, unless there's official approval from GimmeClassics or Wolfman I'll refrain from putting the code in, just to be safe. :) I mean, to my mind it is kind of a cheat, as it allows you to do something you normally couldn't i.e. get a specific team consistently without relying on chance.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:[Batrider] it's not like they're seriously overpowered compared to the standard characters
BareknuckleRoo wrote:[Garegga] they're not grossly unbalanced or anything compared to the standard planes.
Wrong and wrong. The guest characters are pretty much the only characters used in both games because they're significantly better than the default characters which are mostly shit.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

True, they're mostly better, but I'd still say they're more balanced than something like the secret ship in Strikers 1945 III is. That thing is a much better example of absurd brokenness compared to the 'normal' ships. The high score thread for Garegga's actually got a decent mix of good scores for both the Mahou characters (Gain and Miya), though the Golden Bat's definitely the most popular of the standard choices.

Gain's is pretty crazy cause he's got that pierce shot and that bomb that seems to be great for scoring with.
chum

Post by chum »

trap15 wrote:
BareknuckleRoo wrote:[Batrider] it's not like they're seriously overpowered compared to the standard characters
BareknuckleRoo wrote:[Garegga] they're not grossly unbalanced or anything compared to the standard planes.
Wrong and wrong. The guest characters are pretty much the only characters used in both games because they're significantly better than the default characters which are mostly shit.
In Batrider most of the characters, period, aren't worth using. The Batrider characters are not worse than the guest ones... Strawman, Maria and Shorty are all very strong.
wolfman24

Post by wolfman24 »

I played batrider before just always in normal mode, should have post more info for the game like guest ships, used advanced mode, and etc
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

wolfman, please disregard my scores for Batrider
I'll try to post a valid score before the deadline expires today
ExedExes

Post by ExedExes »

ExedExes - 2,545,940
NICE FIGHT!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Hrmm ... so 8 hours to go and no scores from either team in Match B ... what does that potentially mean for us in the 2nd round??

I see there is at least 1 score in each of the other matchups, so there will be 7 winners matched up against the 8 teams that had a bye ... doh
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Dunpeal2064 - 2,750,620
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

Kollision wrote:wolfman, please disregard my scores for Batrider
I'll try to post a valid score before the deadline expires today
Guest ships are allowed ! Wolfman agreed upon this per this post.
So your latest score is allowed and part of the tournament standings !

We'll try to be more specific with the upcoming games ;)

Tournament standings have been updated > link
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I believe he DQ'd his score because he had an extra ship, not because he used secret characters.
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

Kollision wrote: this game is an utter mess, really, in trap15's tourney I also couldn't make this damn thing work according to his specs

I'm using shmupmame v3b BTW
i suggest u try to reset the dipswitches completely (should be saved in a cfg file somewhere).. as if i remember right, we messed with the difficulty too (making rank increase faster?)
edit: difficulty at easy and timer increased..
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps