round 3 flying shark

Blinge

Re: round 3 flying shark

Post by Blinge »

ACSeraph wrote:
sweep left, sweep right, sweep left, sweep right, sweep left...

(-_-) zzz

OH FUCK DODGE! Σ(゜ロ゜;)
Haha this made me laugh, so true..

probably my last but see how i feel tommorrow
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Blinge wrote:
Aleksei wrote:yuk chain dying
Haha damn son, I chain died aswell; from that exact checkpoint in my best run so far. Such an anticlimax after reaching the loop eh?
I know, right? I mean, I know what I supposed to do, but ev-e-ry time they manage to clip me @ a slightly different angle.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Ugh, I've been putting this game off all week. Just killed an hour on it but I honestly don't have the patience to get into the loop. I work to much to be sacrificing my valuable free time to it.

We were just playing this for the lulz right? I mean, I don't hate this game per se, the atmosphere and graphics are great, but I don't see anything good about it at all gameplay wise. It feels like it could have potentially been really good if only the plane was fast enough to actually dodge, but it isn't so literally 99% of the game is just sweeping and if you deviate even slightly you are dead because again: you aren't fast enough to legitimately dodge things. It seems like the entire game is watching the rhythm of the enemy shots to know when to change sweeping directions. You just keep sweeping and pray you don't accidentally trap yourself in a corner, because no amount of shmup dexterity is going to get you out. Literally that's it aside from the bomb spammable boss fights.

I mean really, did any of you actually enjoy this game? I think it's time we retired this one.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

ACSeraph wrote:It seems like the entire game is watching the rhythm of the enemy shots to know when to change sweeping directions.
It is. The game also becomes extremely easy after you figure out the correct moments to do that everywhere, since the execution itself is nothing but moving in a line. The loops don't do much to that since you can beat every one of them with the exact same set of moves.
ExedExes

Post by ExedExes »

ExedExes - 427,280 - 77

NICE FIGHT!
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Holy fuck do i hate this game.

Eaglet - 404,660 - Area 76
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Erppo wrote:The loops don't do much to that since you can beat every one of them with the exact same set of moves.
Except you can't. A lot of the parts of the loop can be dodged the same/similarly, but there are some key points where you need a different strategy or you're going to get whacked.

You actually can do lots of spot dodging, it's just not very easy due to the ship speed. Most of the game comes down to memorization and timing.
Eaglet wrote:Holy fuck do i hate this game.
No taste :P
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

trap15 wrote:
Erppo wrote:The loops don't do much to that since you can beat every one of them with the exact same set of moves.
Except you can't. A lot of the parts of the loop can be dodged the same/similarly, but there are some key points where you need a different strategy or you're going to get whacked.
I might have believed this if I hadn't no-missed three loops with the exact same route.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Well I guess you're just the übermensch then.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

I really wanted to get 1 mil, but I'm too tired and inconsistent to improve it today :D.

Score: 929,360
Run: http://www.twitch.tv/legend_hoa/c/3619969

I shouldn't have went for that 1up in 1-5, run would have probably been better lol.

Yea you can mostly use the same strats for the loops. Too bad my strats aren't good.
JWS

Post by JWS »

Seriously think Flatulent Eagle would have been a more appropriate title for this game.

JWS - 294,510 - 1-3
ACSeraph wrote:I honestly don't have the patience to get into the loop. I work to much to be sacrificing my valuable free time to it.
I know that feeling man... These 5:30am starts...
ACSeraph wrote: It feels like it could have potentially been really good if only the plane was fast enough to actually dodge
I really agree, I think the potential for dodging would be much greater if the speed was only a tiny bit higher. Isn't dodging and making narrow escapes far more fun that just sitting in the right-ish area? Also I think the amount of "atmosphere" in this game is debatable.
In its defense I did like the animation of the planes and tanks, the runways are also a cool narrative tool.

Anyway, what do I know? I couldn't clear it.
Image Image
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT
A couple of hours left...and the double elimination part of our tournament will start !!

General info:

* The 8 highest seeded teams will get a bye for elimination round / week 1
* Only the top 24 ranked teams will qualify for the double elimination tournament
* the elimination part of our tournament has 4 brackets of teams. With one loss you will go into the loser's bracket where you will have to fight your way back.
* we will publish when and which game a team has to play each round / week. This depends on your rank after the seeding rounds and whether or not staying in the winners bracket or having to fight your way back in the loser's bracket.

Elimination - Winners round 1
This coming week teams ranked # 9 untill # 24 will play "Elimination - winners round 1"

Game = Armed Police Batrider (Japan, B version)
ROMset = batriderj

You will have to install both ROMSet batrider and batriderj to be able to play ROMset batriderj !!

Matches Bracket 1
A. Team ranked # 16 vs Team ranked # 20
B. Team ranked # 12 vs Team ranked # 24

Matches Bracket 2
A. Team ranked # 15 vs Team ranked # 19
B. Team ranked # 11 vs Team ranked # 23

Matches Bracket 3
A. Team ranked # 14 vs Team ranked # 18
B. Team ranked # 10 vs Team ranked # 22

Matches Bracket 4
A. Team ranked # 13 vs Team ranked # 17
B. Team ranked # 9 vs Team ranked # 21

Tournament standings have been updated > link

@ Legendary H. and JWS > your scores will be part of the next update
Last edited by GimmeClassics on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edge

Post by Edge »

ACSeraph wrote: It feels like it could have potentially been really good if only the plane was fast enough to actually dodge, but it isn't so literally 99% of the game is just sweeping and if you deviate even slightly you are dead because again: you aren't fast enough to legitimately dodge things. It seems like the entire game is watching the rhythm of the enemy shots to know when to change sweeping directions. You just keep sweeping and pray you don't accidentally trap yourself in a corner, because no amount of shmup dexterity is going to get you out. Literally that's it aside from the bomb spammable boss fights.
I totally agree with your description of the gamepaly. The gameplay is quite old-fashioned and feels a bit outdated. But I think it still works and is fun. Despite it's simple approach it is still challenging enough for me.

Just saying but generally, the simplictiy of classic shmups has something appealing to me. Despite their flaws, which they obviously have. Especially when you have not so much free time at your disposal, simplistic games work very well. I mean, you can pick them easily up and intuitively learn them on the fly. There is no need for complex strategy guides or weird scoring tricks to be applied. So I keep coming back at these games more often than I do with some modern shmups. Because I feel like when they overdo it with their complex scoring, it takes too long to get used to the game again and sometimes I lose the feeling of just winging it and. On the downside though, simplistic shmups become more easily repetitive.

ACSeraph wrote:I mean really, did any of you actually enjoy this game? I think it's time we retired this one.
I dind't spend a lot of time playing this week. But I can say, that I had fun playing this game. Even if I hate getting trapped in the corner. Or that moment when I changed direction and realize 'oh no, that was too early' forced to watch the bullet hitting me. Knowing that I can't do anything, no matter wich direction I'd try to escape. That's pretty frustrating and the game would definitely be more fun with a smaller hitbox, to get out of these situations. But anyway, that's still mid 80s.
Last edited by Edge on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Oh, and I made a new score:

Edge - 648'510 - Area 116 (1-5)

Died on the beach of doom, right before the end of the first loop... -_-

dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Dunpeal2064 - 540,960 - 89
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Image Image
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

submitting a score before I forget

Yazphier - 474,030 - 79

will make a few more attempts I guess..
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Eaglet - 1,036,350 - 172

Holy shit practiced a bit and made it to the loop.
Started out easy enough, chain died about 6-7 lives at the middle of stage 3 but somehow made it through.
Recovery is a real bitch when tanks fire at you when you're almost on top of them and all you have is the pea shooter. :|

edit: this game is all about keeping your shot power, swaying from one bottom edge of the screen to the other while bombing if you feel that you're about to get trapped.
Keeping in mind the cheap shit spawning behind you of course. Fuck you if you decide to change direction in the middle of a sweep. Instadeath.
So dull. :|
Image Image
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Despatche - 478,340 - 83

i just don't understand how someone can get it yet completely miss it at the same time.

dodging is dodging; i don't know where you get the idea that more technically demanding dodging is somehow not dodging at all.
Isn't dodging and making narrow escapes far more fun that just sitting in the right-ish area?
the latter is all dodging ever. the former is all dodging ever before you realize what that all-dodging-ever actually is.

"outdated" doesn't actually mean anything, especially not with game design concepts. either it was always bad, or it was never bad; outdated isn't even an inbetween, it's a completely incompatible concept from bizarro world.

the problem with this game is not that it requires you to be "perfect" all the time; that's admirable, though i don't entirely agree with the exact way it was done (mind, i don't see that as a "flaw"). no, the real problem is good old checkpoint milking and the implications thereof.

it's funny how hishouzame and the people who like it are supposed to be in the boring zone when we have two pages of people who seemingly struggle to struggle to wake up. it's also funny how i specifically want slightly faster speed and an improved main shot; no, not to fix some "flaw", but because i'm a wuss and would want to give all you other wusses a helping hand, because that's what this really comes down to.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

The difference that i see with way that you play this game and actual dodging is that dodging is an action made in real time as a reaction to for an example a bullet heading your way.
That is not possible to do at all times in this game because of the huge hitbox and slow ship speed.
If you're positioned incorrectly some bullets become undodgable - especially at higher loops.
A typical example of this is if you're sitting in the middle of the screen and a sniper tank appears from one of your sides.
With high bullet speed you're not gonna be able to dodge that bullet but need to fire a pre-planned bomb.
That is not a direct reaction to a situation and as such is not what I'd consider dodging.

For the record - this is my personal opinion and might not be entirely correct. I'd need more time with the game to determine that.
Image Image
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

A few contestants have submitted their hi-scores after our round 3 - deadline. I will add those scores to our tournament standings as we have allowed this before in previous rounds. We kindly ask you though to no longer submit round 3 hi-scores ;)

NOTE: submissions in the elimination rounds will only be accepted when submitted BEFORE the deadline !!
JWS

Post by JWS »

Despatche wrote: the latter is all dodging ever. the former is all dodging ever before you realize what that all-dodging-ever actually is.
While I agree with you on a semantic level, I feel there is a clear difference between moving away from a bullet pattern and passively sitting in an area of the screen because you know it is a safe spot. Please note I'm speaking generally here.

-edit- Eaglet perfectly described what I meant in my previous post.

I understand this game has an older style of difficulty and I accept that. It would just be nice to be able to fiddle with my plane a bit during the down time, it feels too slow and risky to do that currently.
Everyone likes a fiddle.
Despatche wrote: it's funny how hishouzame and the people who like it are supposed to be in the boring zone when we have two pages of people who seemingly struggle to struggle to wake up.

Whatever floats your boat, I wish I could enjoy it more.
Despatche wrote:i'm a wuss and would want to give all you other wusses a helping hand, because that's what this really comes down to.
Ha ha, nice to meet you.
I also love Ghost Babel.
Image Image
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

Matches Elimination Round 1 > link
Seeding Round 3 final results > link
Tournament standings > link