Hiki

Re: round 2 nemesis

Post by Hiki »

Hiki - 345,600 - 1-7
wolfman24

Post by wolfman24 »

great scores guys
rank system i always went with this http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 8&p=867933 but this is for gradius 3 not gradius/nemesis
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

I was feeling the same way at first ACSeraph, but the more I played it I can see why everyone prefers this now. You can actually recover from a death in this game, and I really feel this game rewards quick thinking and larger/faster movements cause shit can go wrong very fast and you can still sometimes manipulate a way out.

However I do like how the powerups behave in Salamander much better. I feel the options follow better, and I like that the options fire missiles right when their own are destroyed, rather than having to wait for every missile on the screen to be destroyed before firing again. I also feel Salamander's laser is better against normal enemies, with Gradius being better for bosses but bosses suck in Gradius.

Intense game, enjoying it a lot.

I don't like the stage with the clouds with hands (5? 6?). Boring music and sometimes the arms don't want to die. At least it leads to the next stage with the better "revised" theme.

Also, don't like fighting that same weak boss over and over. Just die already stop coming back.
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

tried playing it standing ...

<image removed>
Yazphier - 306500 - 1-7

I don't agree that it's that much about memorizing, Memorizing can definitly help you out at certain points, and (as the st7 example from ACSerpah) it can make certain paths alot easier. (even if I havn't got to that specific passage in a real run, no way i'm not 1-all it if i get there with a pod)
I find it more about a balance between firepower and rank control... and abusing your shield, making sure the shield get the bullet instead of you, even if it's coming from behind.
Last edited by Yazphier on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

Jaimers wrote:Haha maybe.

If you have three speedups and four options you can play with the options to form these "side cannons" on your ship that take care of all the walking ceiling and floor turrets before they enter the screen.
That should take you almost all the way through the stage although you do have to go out your way to kill some other enemies.
I do this as well, but you can also time them. I find myself going top left real quick after the 3rd one hits the screen, pop them and then back to the middle.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

ACSeraph wrote:Does anyone seriously think this is a good game? Or do we all just respect it because it was impressive for it's time?
gradius is actually the most well-designed game in the series; this or that part might be frustrating but afaik everything can be dodged and recovered from here. yes, gradius, not nemesis.

for gaiden, i don't think anyone's dissected it yet as has been done with gradius. for salamander 2, it takes the easy way out and... is easy, and is only two loops. for rebirth, i'm not sure.

as for why nemesis was chosen, it is entirely because it's the parent set, i.e. mame coercing everyone to play weird versions simply because they're "international" releases. by the way, nemesis also has changed (easier?) default extend settings.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Despatche wrote:gradius is actually the most well-designed game in the series
Personally I think V is the best

I love this series, and I recognize it's well designed, but I still find the original particularly infuriating for some reason. My current guess is that I'm trying too hard to not get hit (the Darius II method) rather than abusing the shield to literally just plow through shit. I really think that might be where my approach is wrong in this.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
JWS

Post by JWS »

=EDIT= =UPDATED FRIDAY=
(Still nothing to boast to mummy about though.)

Turned autofire on.

135,000 - JWS - 1-4

3 hours play total.
ACSeraph wrote:
Personally I think V is the best.
Interesting to know. I never got into V, much to Blinge's disdain. It just seems crazy hard in parts, the goo stage for example and 1 hour long loops? Not in my skill bracket baby.

The one question I do have about this; Horoscopes? In my shmups?
Last edited by JWS on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Slightly more effort score.

Jaimers - 685,100 - 2-5

Yay for the arm spawning right on top of me.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

ACSeraph wrote:Personally I think V is the best
the big problems with v are that it's too long just for one loop, and that the multidirectional options weren't really balanced well (tbh i'm not sure you can even balance it all very well). weird difficulty doesn't bother me as much as it should, but go ahead and throw that on there too.
JWS wrote:The one question I do have about this; Horoscopes? In my shmups?
probably the best part about (most of) this series is the ridiculously detailed name entry, yes
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Despatche wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:Personally I think V is the best

that the multidirectional options weren't really in the previous games
^Fix'd

now the complaining begins..

As for Gradius1/nemesis? It has broken my brain. i cannot spend my precious weekend time playing something I'm beginning to hate. I'm convinced the middle of final stage recovery is god damn impossible, the rare times I get that far. It seems like getting more than one option or a laser is just signing your own death warrant on every stage after 1.
What really irks me is that after this tournament (which i appreciate, even though i'm bitching!), I'll probably come back to Gradius through sheer bloody mindedness, i can't bear to play for this long and not clear this fucking torturous game.

Jaimers: I'd love to see a replay of you playing this if you don't mind recording one, you can upload it after this round if you wanna stay competitive or w/e. It'd be cool to get some insight from someone at your level.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Blinge wrote:Jaimers: I'd love to see a replay of you playing this if you don't mind recording one, you can upload it after this round if you wanna stay competitive or w/e. It'd be cool to get some insight from someone at your level.
I've got an inp of the run for shmupmame 4.2 that you can playback if you want to see the run.
It's kind of a hilarious trainwreck though as I'm smashing into every wall there is.

Also I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen:

Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Eaglet - 367,000 - 2-1
Wow! The loop makes recovery so much harder what with suicide bullets and slow ship speed.
At least i looped... :P
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

saucykobold - 893,200 - 3-3

GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

Tournament standings have been updated > link
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Blinge wrote:
Despatche wrote:that the multidirectional options weren't really in the previous games
^Fix'd
uh, no. the multidirectional options really weren't balanced well against everything else in gradius v. i'm not at all biased; the formation options in gradius iii sfc weren't balanced well either, if that helps. please go at least watch a good run of it before throwing your patterns at me.

...but hey, considering you find gradius here to be "torturous", i'm not surprised you'd go for the boring "you just can't deal with change" bandwagon.
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Jaimers - 817,600 - 2-7

chaindying 6 times in a row is fun.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Despatche wrote: the multidirectional options really weren't balanced well against everything else in gradius v.
What are you saying, they make the game too easy? The trade off is vs bosses, the other option types are far better for bosses.

Blinge - 304,100 - 1-7

Well I hit that score almost a week ago on a lucky run and haven't been able to improve it. I dunno whether i'll come back to this game at all now, I did some silly things while raging yesterday..

Uhh what's the easiest way to play an .inp file back?
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

Time left for your round 2 hi-score submission > link
wolfman24

Post by wolfman24 »

Blinge wrote:Uhh what's the easiest way to play an .inp file back?
the way i usually playback .inp is in wolf mame plus .106 but i think the .inp has to be played back in the program they were played in like mame plus .106 inp might not work in other versions of mame that allows play backs
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

figured it out now, but cheers mate
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Kollision - 306,600 - 1-7

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Kollision wrote:Kollision - 306,600 - 1-7
Ouch beat me by just 200 points D:

Nice job!

I finally managed to clear last night, but my score was actually worse, didn't even break 300k.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

I can't figure a consistent strat for end of 2-2 (right before boss), might not be able to improve:

Score: 439,900 (2-2)
Run: Here (whenever twitch decides its ready D:)

Feels like I practiced the rest of the second loop for nothing since I keep dieing at 2-2 lol.

I either have to

1. Get lucky first time when powered up.
2. Get lucky recovering and make it to the pre-boss with low powerups/rank. Most of the time what happens is in the screenshot :(.

I also need to start milking stage 6 boss. Hope I have time for a few more runs tomorrow.
ExedExes

Post by ExedExes »

ExedExes - 302,400 - 1-7
NICE FIGHT!
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

Last credit for this week

Yazphier - 344500 - 1-7

replay
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
GimmeClassics

Post by GimmeClassics »

Time left for your round 2 hi-score submission > link
JWS

Post by JWS »

Jaimers wrote: It's kind of a hilarious trainwreck though as I'm smashing into every wall there is.
Thanks so much for uploading that Jaimers, that was really inspiring to watch, even if it was just a throw away cred. Its pretty cool to be playing in the same competition as guys at your level.

Kind of sad I couldn't make it to the last stage, I find stage 4 such a road block, even though I know what needs to be done to get through it. Guess I'll have to leave it here. I've really enjoyed this game though, much more than expected.

JWS 187,000 1-4

Image Image
Edge

Post by Edge »

Slight improvement to my score from day 1. Too bad I couldn't find the time to play some more this week. I'd like to see how far I could get into loop 2, as the second loop is pretty brutal. :)

Edge - 420'900 - 2-1

Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Slightly improved final score;
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]