cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I vote zero.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Looks like a zero to me.
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Zero. No one want to fake a score of only 9 million, I hope.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Plasmo wrote:he used 8 credits
Is that true? Is the last number how many credits you use?

I can't see someone taking 8 credits to do 9 mil
zakk

Post by zakk »

freddiebamboo wrote:
Plasmo wrote:he used 8 credits
Is that true? Is the last number how many credits you use?

I can't see someone taking 8 credits to do 9 mil

The last number is the number of times you continued. And that's a zero, not an 8.
Salem Witch Trials!

Post by Salem Witch Trials! »

The score's totally real. Look in the captain's neato little example thingy. The side of the eight dents in a bunch. That's a 0 in the score.

And yah freddy, almost all shmups do the add 1 when you continue thing. Mushihimesama doesn't and I remember some other one not doing it, but in almost every one I've ever played they use the 1's place of points to show continues (cuz 1 point really doesn't matter). So a score of 3,000,001 is worse than 3,000,000 :? . For most games, at least.
Last edited by Salem Witch Trials! on Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recent 1CCs: Metal Black, Chaos Field
Getting raped by: Dangun Feveron

Things you never hear: "Please stop sucking my dick or I'll call the police!" --George Carlin
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Fixed. Yay to having a bad week.
Salem Witch Trials!

WOO-HOO DaiOuJou's coming tomorrow! I can't wait to sit down and get absolutely murdered!

Things you never hear: "Please stop sucking my dick or I'll call the police!" --George Carlin
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Salem Witch Trials! wrote:WOO-HOO DaiOuJou's coming tomorrow! I can't wait to sit down and get absolutely murdered!
i thought the exact same thing before mine arrived, it ended up killing me a bit more than i like to be killed. :)
I have no sig whatsoever.
Salem Witch Trials!

How would you compare it to Mushi's Ultra mode in terms of crazy hardness?

EDIT: Hey captain, one more post and your number of posts will be a shmup.

J5983

Post by J5983 »

J5983 - 28,442,110 - C-S - 1-6 - 223

I wish I could chain better. I imagine stage 5 must give astronomical scores.
Touhou and Rozen Maiden image board:
http://www.pooshlmer.com/wakaba/
Touhou wiki:
http://www.pooshlmer.com/touhouwiki/
sffan

Post by sffan »

New score, PS1:

sffan - 13,381,470 - B-L - Area 5 - Max Hit 123
SHOOT IT QUICKLY !
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Small improvement - Dave K. 36,543,790 316 C-S 1-6 286
Last edited by Dave_K. on Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BallsMahoney

Post by BallsMahoney »

This is one of my favorite shooters of all time, and I just got it a week ago! Really fuckin awesome.

Anyways here's my high score:

Stage 5

I will easily break the 20,000,000 barrier though let me explain:

First of all, the past 3 times I got to this boss, I have about 3 or 4 ships left, and could easily bomb him to death but instead I have tried to figure out his pattern. If I wanted to, and I may do next playthrough, I can just bomb him to death, and then next stage I will have broken 20 mil and get another ship.

But I'm not a pussy like that. I want to figure out this guys pattern. It's pissing me off because the red fire-explosion thingys take up the whole screen... I don't get it. If someone has a strategy for this boss can they share it?

ALSO - Which home version of this game is the best? PS1 or Saturn??

-edit- I used the C ship. You almost have to. If you went through the game with the A-ship you are one badass motherfucker.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

The red fire bursts are pretty simple. Be sure to not be using laser (especially if you're using C-type), it'll slow you down too much. It should be pretty obvious where the bursts are going to appear so just move left and right accordingly. It may not look like it but you can squeeze in between them once the bursts start to overlap (in most cases...sometimes you'll need to get close to the stuff on the sides).

Incidentally, if you're using the A-type you can just rest in the center of the boss and let your aura take it apart, ignoring the fire bursts altogether. You can do this with any ship I suppose, but the A-L is by far the best for it. Shot types won't add that extra aura damage that laser types do.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BallsMahoney wrote:ALSO - Which home version of this game is the best? PS1 or Saturn??
To summarize, the PS1 version looks and sounds better, but a) you have to select your ship in the options menu, b) in 2P mode both players have to use the same ship, c) by default the game moves a bit too quickly, you have to pause and turn the "wait" option on, d) there's no extra stuff at all, and e) it costs more and is harder to find. The Saturn version doesn't look or sound as good, but a) includes a slightly easier "Saturn Mode," which also gives you an extra stage (nothing too much, really, it's very easy) and allows you to fight the 2nd loop boss at the end of loop 1, and adjust combo time and other stuff, and b) doesn't require all the menu adjustments that the PS1 version does. There's also a "score attack" mode which keeps things on constant defaults, but it's not a big deal.

Both have their disadvantages, but both are good ports.
-edit- I used the C ship. You almost have to. If you went through the game with the A-ship you are one badass motherfucker.
People can do quite well with the A ship, especially the laser type...it's a bit tougher to get used to than the C type, but with a little practice you'll be able to use all 3 ships pretty well...oddly enough, my current high score is with the B Type, which most tend to avoid (though I believe the uber-Japanese player world record was done with the B Type).
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Getting better at this...

AWJ- 14,606,200 - B-L - 1-5 - 114
BallsMahoney

Post by BallsMahoney »

BulletMagnet wrote:
BallsMahoney wrote:ALSO - Which home version of this game is the best? PS1 or Saturn??
To summarize, the PS1 version looks and sounds better, but a) you have to select your ship in the options menu, b) in 2P mode both players have to use the same ship, c) by default the game moves a bit too quickly, you have to pause and turn the "wait" option on, d) there's no extra stuff at all, and e) it costs more and is harder to find. The Saturn version doesn't look or sound as good, but a) includes a slightly easier "Saturn Mode," which also gives you an extra stage (nothing too much, really, it's very easy) and allows you to fight the 2nd loop boss at the end of loop 1, and adjust combo time and other stuff, and b) doesn't require all the menu adjustments that the PS1 version does. There's also a "score attack" mode which keeps things on constant defaults, but it's not a big deal.

Both have their disadvantages, but both are good ports.
People can do quite well with the A ship, especially the laser type...it's a bit tougher to get used to than the C type, but with a little practice you'll be able to use all 3 ships pretty well...oddly enough, my current high score is with the B Type, which most tend to avoid (though I believe the uber-Japanese player world record was done with the B Type).
That seems odd that the PS version would look and sound better. Can you be more specific on what exactly the visual and sound differences are? Is there slowdown/missing animation in the Saturn version etc.?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The main graphical differences (that I've noticed) is that on the Saturn version some things look pixelated, most notably the explosions and laser graphics, while on the PS this doesn't seem to be a problem. Also on the Saturn version the music will sometimes cut out a bit early, before a stage ends. The one oddball sound thing in the PS1 version is that the sound effect that happens when you collect a star bonus item seems to have been changed a bit. Maybe others have noticed more than I have, but those are the things that were most obvious to me...I recall some people saying that the Saturn version had more slowdown, but if there is more it isn't very much.
BallsMahoney

Post by BallsMahoney »

BulletMagnet wrote:The main graphical differences (that I've noticed) is that on the Saturn version some things look pixelated, most notably the explosions and laser graphics, while on the PS this doesn't seem to be a problem. Also on the Saturn version the music will sometimes cut out a bit early, before a stage ends. The one oddball sound thing in the PS1 version is that the sound effect that happens when you collect a star bonus item seems to have been changed a bit. Maybe others have noticed more than I have, but those are the things that were most obvious to me...I recall some people saying that the Saturn version had more slowdown, but if there is more it isn't very much.
I've read reviews that state the graphics were improved in areas such as the backrounds and lazer effects ... and that slowdown was actually removed. The thing about pixelated explosions though everyone is consistent on that.

Maybe they thought they would mode 7 if you will the explosion effects and that's why they appear pixellated? Seems strange to me...

Reason I ask is because my sister is in Japan and I had her pick me up a copy. She got me the Saturn one (along with Soukyogurentai for only 14(!) dollars. So I guess I'll get to do my own arcade/ss comparison.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER - 21,426,840 - A-S - 1-6 - 146 - Saturn
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Cowboy-NOA - 36,078,610 - C-S - 1-ALL - 260
bah such a bad score and why am i even posting this??! i dont like this game....
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Woohoo! Finally! My first Cave 1CC (first loop anyway). No missed the stage 6 boss with 1 ship in reserve, ran out of bombs during the last pattern and could not believe I was successfully dodging that thing to the end. Was denied the 2nd loop, but I'll be back soon enough.

Dave K. 39,193,150 C-S 1-ALL 242 (PCB)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

You know, seeing as this thing is one of my favorite shooters, I really do need to post a score for it, even though it's awful, heh heh.

BulletMagnet - 25,593,520 - B-L - 1-6 - 148
Edge

Post by Edge »

Last week I returned to that game and finally kept practising chaining Level 2. After some hours experimenting with save states in Mame, I now know a way to chain through the entire level (no beautiful chain, but who cares).

Here is my new score: (offcourse without using save states)

41'846'660 / Lvl.6 / C-S / 466 Hit / Mame

I am really bad at chaining, so I tried to focus mainly on maximum bomb bonus. I think I should try practising chaining in Level 4, this would boost my scores quite a bit.
Salem Witch Trials!

Edge, the max bomb bonus really is extremely useful. If you get all the bombs and don't die up to the level 6 boss you have like 80,000,000 even if you barely had any chain at all. Focusing on max bomb bonus will also force you to be able to do most of the game without bombing or dying. And then you can learn chaining later on if ya feel like it. But yeah, good to see someone else uses the same strategy I do

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm down with that...the only reason my above score even got as high as it did was because I managed to get up to the stage 3 boss without bombing or dying: most of my next few scores down are around 10 million less. If you can't chain, go for the bomb bonus; not dying or bombing is probably something you were already aiming for anyways, heh heh.
Edge

Post by Edge »

@SWT, (JTW?) Yeah. I too think this strategy is very good. My strategy for that run was to get to Stage 4 boss without bombing. Becuase I am not that good beating, him I decided to use all my bombs to increase Boss Hit and then use suicide in the beginning of Stage 5. To get maximum bomb bonus again.

But now I have practised stage 4 boss and stage 5, so i am gonna aim for a maximum bomb run till boss 5. This is gonna be hard, but not impossible. And on stage 5, i always chain just by surviving long enough without bombing.

Besides slight improvement today:

Edge / 41'907'800 / C-S / 1-5 / 390 / Mame
Edge

Post by Edge »

Had a good run today. But I feel like I could do better... if I keep trying. :)

Here is my new score:

Edge / 52'631'000 / C-S / 1-6 / 370 / Mame

Finally start to get better on Stage 6, was able to increase my score another 10 million there. :)
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Updated.