Solo Shmup League #5 - Cho Ren Sha 68k (CLOSED)

Pick the game to play for SSL#6

19XX: The War Against Destiny (Capcom, 1995)
35%
Gunnail (NMK, 1992)
4%
Shienryu (Warashi, 1997)
2%
Thunder Dragon 2 (NMK, 1993)
30%
Vasara 2 (Visco, 2001)
17%
Viper Phase 1 (Seibu Kaihatsu, 1995)
11%

Total votes: 46

hanasu

Re: Solo Shmup League #5 - Cho Ren Sha 68k (now open for sco

Post by hanasu »

I'm having a problem using joytokey. No matter what I set my buttons to, button 1 is always shot, button 2 is always bomb, and button 3 is pause. I'd prefer to change them but I can't seem to make it work. The other issue is that the music and gameplay stutter, which is supposedly fixable by changing the compatibility mode of the executable. When I change it to 98/ME mod, the joytokey directionals no longer work. Has anyone gotten this to work on stick? :oops:
PedroMD

Post by PedroMD »

| SSL | 5,225,845 | Screenshot | 2-1

Fuck. Same shitty run as always, but I managed to take the last boss down with no lives, no shield and just the crappy initial shot, despite not being able to with five lives in stock some other time. Then, knowing full well that the loop added suicide bullets, I went and got myself killed to the very first one of them. It was such an incredibly stupid death it took away all the pleasure of finally getting the 1-all. I'll go punch myself in the face and try again.
1CC
RegalSin wrote:Then again, SNES was under the Nintendo regime, back when buying panties and school girl outfits was normal for a young or older man.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

| SSL | 11,046,531 | Screenshot | 3-0

Ugh. Had at least three completely unnecessary deaths fairly early on; I probably should have been able to earn a whole extra life and finish the game easily. The TLB was flashing red for God's sake.

So close, but the game just isn't clicking with me and I don't know if I want to play another two whole loops (assuming I don't fuck the next run up too).

Still I'm glad I finally gave the game a shot. It's always been on my to-do list.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
PedroMD

Post by PedroMD »

| SSL | 8,101,813 | Screenshot | 2-4

Funny how just adding suicide bullets turns the fourth boss from the easiest of the game into a complete mess. I hate suicide bullets why are they even there they don't make any sense even the name doesn't make sense.
Second loop seems to be quite manageable, though. If I learn how to no-miss the first one, maybe I can have some hope of clearing it.
1CC
RegalSin wrote:Then again, SNES was under the Nintendo regime, back when buying panties and school girl outfits was normal for a young or older man.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

hanasu wrote:I'm having a problem using joytokey. No matter what I set my buttons to, button 1 is always shot, button 2 is always bomb, and button 3 is pause. I'd prefer to change them but I can't seem to make it work. The other issue is that the music and gameplay stutter, which is supposedly fixable by changing the compatibility mode of the executable. When I change it to 98/ME mod, the joytokey directionals no longer work. Has anyone gotten this to work on stick? :oops:
For some reason, I don't think joyToKey works with this game.

I suggest trying AutoHotkey instead.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Scores on the OP have been updated.

Around half a day left for this.

I doubt I have the time to submit a half-decent score, even for my standards, unfortunately.
Erppo

Re: Solo Shmup League #5 - Cho Ren Sha 68k (12 hours left)

Post by Erppo »

One more.

| SSL | 19,009,490 | http://i.imgur.com/3p0ZGa0.png | ALL

Could have been 20M+ if I could play better.