Battle Garegga weekend hi-score contest ENDED/AWARD CEREMONY

dark

Battle Garegga weekend hi-score contest ENDED/AWARD CEREMONY

Post by dark »

I woke up feeling like holding a competitive hi score contest on extremely short notice. Here are my rules:

1) The game of choice is Battle Garegga, you may choose what region/variation to play and what emulator (or real hardware) to play it on, including the sega saturn port
2) You may only use one credit for your score-entry play (this is on the honor system since I can't think of any way to verify this)
3) No using save states, or slow motion settings in an emulator or stuff like that - just play it normal like you're at an arcade with one coin (honor system)
4) If you do not like how well you did, then you may start over from the beginning of the game with one credit again (so basically, no continuing, but you can take more than one try before the cutoff date of the contest - see below)
5) You will send me a screenshot or photographic proof of your hi-score via PM on this forum
6) I will no longer accept screenshots/photographic proof after midnight on Sunday 11/17
7) I will post the scores of entrants in this thread and we can see how we stack up against each other! The winner also wins the coveted "championship belt" (ooh mysterious, what is this? We will see!)

In short - you have today and tomorrow (11/16, 11/17) to play Battle Garegga with one credit, and send me proof of your hi score via PM. I will post the scores for users that I received after the contest closes and award the coveted championship belt.

Ready set go!
Last edited by dark on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zerst

Re: Battle Garegga weekend hi-score contest! 11/16, 11/17 on

Post by Zerst »

Good day. While such enthusiasm can certainly be appreciated, there is currently a competition going on in this forum. I would encourage you to reconsider your timing and show some respect to a tournament already in progress run by one of your fellow shmups forum members. Perhaps you can put that enthusiasm towards scoring well in the highly enjoyable game being played this week.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48133
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
dark

Post by dark »

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. That said, it seems a little unusual to me personally that there would only be one contest allowed at a time on the forums, especially if that limits the game selection to one game for a certain time duration. I don't personally consider multiple contests on different games, with different contest criteria, that happen to be in the same forum to be disrespectful at all. But no matter, In keeping with the forum's tradition, I guess... consider this contest closed for now.

EDIT - re-opened. Decided it was silly to close this when there is interest and it is fun and not disrespectful. See comments below this post.
Last edited by dark on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Too bad, had a good credit going. Died with B,9 at the sixth boss.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Pretty sure "only one competition at any one time" is not a forum tradition nor a rule. Not everybody has joined the ongoing tournament, and maybe some who have would still enjoy the diversion. I see no reason for such a restriction.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

There's nothing wrong with more than one contest, but I'm not sure that spur-of-the-moment events are the ideal way to run contests. And a weekend isn't really long enough for anyone to pick the game up and learn it if they haven't already.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
dark

Post by dark »

For me personally, the point was just to have some fun. The spur of the moment aspect, and the time pressure of two days was deliberate, and for me, part of the silliness and challenge experience. With this contest at least, the point isn't to learn the game, the point is to have some fun and feel the intensity. If a handful of the experienced players on this board entered this contest, my score would not even be near the top - I can usually only get to level 3 on one credit... but feeling the pressure based on the time restriction and the competitive atmosphere makes it more fun than just booting up mame and playing by myself.

Contest re-opened. Send hi score proof by midnight Sunday. Who will win the mysterious weekend contest championship belt??? :wink:
chempop

Re: Battle Garegga weekend hi-score contest! RE-OPENED

Post by chempop »

I made plenty of errors but actually managed to the stage 6 boss after not having played in a while. aprox 7.7 mil, Gain ABC
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
dark

Post by dark »

Very good score (actually its about 10x what my current 1c record is :) ) I need photographic proof as per the contest rules if you want to be considered in the running for the mysterious championship belt 8)
chempop

Post by chempop »

It wasn't high enough to get saved on my scoreboard. Playing the saturn port.
Not sure I can give it another go and take a photo before the continue countdown.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
dark

Post by dark »

The scores are coming in! Thread will be updated with results tomorrow after I'm home from work.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

What the heck - I need to give Garegga some more time.

CSF - 4798080 - Gain (ABC) - Stage 4

Do you need me to PM it to you too?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
dark

Post by dark »

I'll take that. Just didn't want the thread to be cluttered with screenshots - and if everyone posted in the thread, then there would be no suspense for the awarding of the mysterious championship belt. 8)
dark

Post by dark »

Posting of scores slightly postponed while I have a query for an entrant who probably won't see it until tomorrow! The tension!
dark

Post by dark »

And now the moment you've all been waiting for!

The following are the entrants who submitted photographic proof of their scores, ranked in order of highest score to lowest score.

1. Plasmo - 10,431,710 (played on an arcade cabinet)
2. Ciox - 5,718,480 (played via emulator)
3. CStarFlare - 4,798,080 (played via emulator)
4. Dark - 724,460 (played via emulator)

Honorable mention to Chempop who mentions he scored ~7.7 m (Sega Saturn port) but was unable to provide photographic proof.

Congratulations Plasmo!!! I hereby bestow upon you the Weekend Hi-Score Contest #1 Championship Belt!!!!!

Stay tuned for the next exciting weekend contest with more chances to win exciting mysterious prizes that are not necessarily championship belts? We will see!