Holiday Season Retro Tournament - ROUND 2

Zerst

Re: Holiday Season Retro Tournament - ROUND 2

Post by Zerst »

An interesting note is that for some reason, whether or not the powerups you collect show the E icons seems to be dependent on the "Allow Continue" dip switch being on. So this will actually make a (really annoying) difference in gameplay, if you haven't already disabled it.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ed Oscuro - 176,950

Saved a state right before getting killed, but I don't think it was really caused by that, just a random bullet from my 7 o'clock position that would have been hard to notice in time for a dodge anyway. I loaded the state just to see and I only got to 187K so it's not like it broke my run or anything.

FIRST play of the day by the way. Something just clicked for me this time.

Not an impossible game by any stretch of the imagination, I think Erppo and Nimitz have gotten the hang of it.

The Terra Cresta-style unending stage layout makes hidden doodad memorization really hard, and the way of uncovering the 3000 point icons is difficult if you don't have them memorized (I still get a good number of them, but probably not as many as I should, far less than half and less than a quarter in the areas I was first playing). I don't think it matters though - survival scoring and a huge chunk of my score comes from the boss (I noticed a 30K bump over my previous score, over 100K, before the boss was even dead, and you get either 1K or 10K bonus when it dies).
system11 wrote:system11 - 71680

I just can't beat that boss.
I WAS going to say "So play it on easy like Nimitz and Erppo. :P " but then I beat it too, so here's a hint: Autofire rate 6.

I've left continue on, obviously letting that timer run out so restarts are from the game beginning. Aside from the powerup icons showing up (which is helpful) I don't think there is any other gameplay difference that would really invalidate the score. I'm not turning it off if there isn't any difference, because that would be silly.
Last edited by Ed Oscuro on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Not that I'm aware of, but keeping track of your powerups is very important for timing the invincibility for the towers, as well as knowing when to dive for number five if you're in a bad spot. Having to keep count in your head makes it harder to focus on the game. It's a significant difference, though I'd certainly rather play with them on.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Zerst wrote:Not that I'm aware of, but keeping track of your powerups is very important for timing the invincibility for the towers, as well as knowing when to dive for number five if you're in a bad spot. Having to keep count in your head makes it harder to focus on the game. It's a significant difference, though I'd certainly rather play with them on.
No difference at all for me; I didn't look at the counters once during this play. I just pick them all up so I know that the first one activates at a useless point, and the second one activates at a more useful location. With these DIP settings, survival is the key and even if you say that the powerup is a key scoring element (ha ha) I think that playing as if it isn't helped me.

I suppose I should say that it's up to the people who want to enforce this anal change to prove that it's a worthwhile difference; I don't feel like I have anything to prove. System11 can speak for himself but I suppose the reason it was selected was really just to avoid people continuing the game (as if people ever do).
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

I agree that the powerup display is clearly an unintended side effect of disabling continues (I'm not even sure why that dip switch does that). The issue is that there are stretches of the game later on where there are a TON of towers in a row, and lining up your powerups so that you get it at a certain spot can seriously boost your score. Doing so is far easier if you can just glance at where you're at instead of having to distract yourself from the game by counting.

Edit: Yeah, I just had a run where I had to make a decision whether to dive for an E or try to fight through a risky spot. I thought I had 4 but I had 3, got the E, and died.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Zerst wrote:Edit: Yeah, I just had a run where I had to make a decision whether to dive for an E or try to fight through a risky spot. I thought I had 4 but I had 3, got the E, and died.
So basically you're dying because counting to five and / or remembering what the counter said when you looked at it during a safe moment is too hard to do at the same time as paying attention to the gameplay essentials? (I could aim that argument at myself and my stupid habit of banging the savestate key "for practice" which I never get around to, so don't feel too bad.)

OH MAN THIS E DECISION IS KILLIN ME

LITERALLY

srsly dude you're doing it wrong if this is happening, game is survival based in the long run, so pay attention to survival. This is only a "problem" if you are counting powerups rather than memorizing where you are in the stage (and you can still use that stage location awareness to trigger thoughts about if you should skip one, if you find a place where it helps to hold off on taking that final E powerup until you get to the exact right place, although I am not sure this makes sense because that would mean you ultimately get fewer powerup opportunities in the same amount of play time). Memorizing where you are in the stage and what you can expect from enemies and scoring opportunities is the easiest, if not completely optimal, way to score in this game, but I bet this one's endless anyway.

I think: "hey I got a powerup, that's nice;" doesn't make me play differently though.
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

Iori Branford - 95,510

Last edited by Iori Branford on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I think: "hey I got a powerup, that's nice;" doesn't make me play differently though.
The potential for a player to instantly see they have four E and powerdive for the fifth when they get trapped or overwhelmed is an advantage. The claim that you have yet to personally utilize this advantage is not an argument for why you should have it. I don't care which settings are correct, just that everyone is on an even playing field.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Zerst wrote:The potential for a player to instantly see they have four E and powerdive for the fifth when they get trapped or overwhelmed is an advantage.
I know what you mean here, but if you are trapped, then you are making gameplay mistakes. Maybe I need to get further in to see places where it's necessary to get the powerup to survive further (terrible game design mistake if so), but I think the way you've described it makes it clear that "diving" in a panic has gotten you killed. Given that this makes the game worse by your account, I don't see why we should say the level playing field should be here.
The claim that you have yet to personally utilize this advantage is not an argument for why you should have it.
That's not what the "claim" (as part of an argument) was meant to prove; it was just a straightforward response to your concern it unbalanced the field. Likewise the only justification you've given is "it should be removed because it's not in the settings." Well duh, we know that - I am obviously not swayed by that fact as constituting a reason that this is a good change, and in truth you haven't been helped by it either. We could still have a level playing field with the setting changed. It's not good just because it's the arbitrarily chosen setting.

Finally, you're ignoring the most important point, which is that it's not clear yet the DIP switch commandment was meant to cause this specific change (thank you for being the first person to point it out). I think it's just a mostly useless nicety so that any screaming about how bad it is to play it conveniently is just micro-managing other peoples' playing to a silly degree, but if we are going to be micro-managed I'd rather it come from System11.

Also this:
system11 wrote:
Despatche wrote:Despatche - 69,100

using hal21j for some reason
We don't know if there are scoring differences, so probably best to use hal21.
Even in that case you notice it's not an outright ban. I don't mind taking the cheap way out in that case, but I think it's obvious that there is a decent reason to have a problem with this change (intentional or otherwise, with apologies to System11 in either case), so something better than probably would be kind of nice.
xient

Post by xient »

xient - 102990
Last edited by xient on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

Why is there discussions about looking at a counter, that is not even there if you're playing with the dip-switch setting that has been set as rules to the competition ?
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Yazphier wrote:Why is there discussions about looking at a counter, that is not even there if you're playing with the dip-switch setting that has been set as rules to the competition ?
Because
Ed Oscuro wrote:I suppose I should say that it's up to the people who want to enforce this anal change to prove that it's a worthwhile difference; I don't feel like I have anything to prove. System11 can speak for himself but I suppose the reason it was selected was really just to avoid people continuing the game (as if people ever do).

Zerst - 355,640

Zerst - 382,580
Dimahoo is a fun game.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Herr Schatten - 174,910

It seems you can destroy the killer buildings (with bombs?) while they are still "rising". I haven't been able to do this somewhat consistently, though.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Frenetic - 75,320
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jeneki - 154460

OMG that spinning red shit. :shock:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Herr Schatten wrote:It seems you can destroy the killer buildings (with bombs?) while they are still "rising". I haven't been able to do this somewhat consistently, though.
That's very helpful, thanks.

Zerst - 592,750

Zerst - 628,130
Dimahoo is a fun game.
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

DoubleThink - 218,730

Apparently pure reflex can do the trick
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

Zerst wrote:
Yazphier wrote:Why is there discussions about looking at a counter, that is not even there if you're playing with the dip-switch setting that has been set as rules to the competition ?
Because
Ed Oscuro wrote:I suppose I should say that it's up to the people who want to enforce this anal change to prove that it's a worthwhile difference; I don't feel like I have anything to prove. System11 can speak for himself but I suppose the reason it was selected was really just to avoid people continuing the game (as if people ever do).
And at the same time it's said that this "Anal" change makes a difference, even if it's not score wise, but makes it easier to keep track over when you will recieve your immortality (that, in turn, might or might not produce score depending on player). Regardless if this changes any score for whomever, i consider it foul..

Herr Schatten wrote: It seems you can destroy the killer buildings (with bombs?) while they are still "rising". I haven't been able to do this somewhat consistently, though.
nice..

a few credits (with first success of killing a building with secondary fire):
Yazphier - 136970
...then back to studyin'
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
MX7

Post by MX7 »

MX7 - 147,790
Marc

Post by Marc »

,Some crazy scores here. Mine 75,260. Getting the hang of it, and enjoying it more than I expected. Killed that boss on this go but the fucker took me out as it blew up.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
trap15

Post by trap15 »

trap15 - 139,210

Appalling. Got to second boss this time.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Zerst - 730,990
Dimahoo is a fun game.
Yazphier

Post by Yazphier »

Yazphier - 200,570

still not managed to get to the second boss :/, fairly successful in killing pyramids
.... O.o ...Image
Image Image
replays and inps
system11

Post by system11 »

system11 - 95000

At least I know how to time the pickups to beat boss 1 now, not managed to bomb a pyramid though, really tough game. PCB nearly got stomped in anger a few times.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

system11 wrote:At least I know how to time the pickups to beat boss 1 now, not managed to bomb a pyramid though, really tough game. PCB nearly got stomped in anger a few times.
For the pyramids, just fire a bomb and then immediately hold forward for a half-second. The pyramids match your ship's X position, but trigger when you cross a certain Y position. I got a feel for where a bunch of them are, but spend pretty much the entire game doing a vertical wobbling motion and launching bombs.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

And fuck, I completely forgot to play Centipede. :(
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Herr Schatten - 180,020

I don't seem to make much progress anymore. Is anyone recording replays? I'd love to see a high scoring run of this.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Yeah I have my 730k, i'll upload that and my millipede run in a bit.

Edit: INPs for both millipede and 730k hal21 -> http://www.mediafire.com/?5t8vodxij48fzt8
Played with wolfmame145, available here -> http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/
Dimahoo is a fun game.
xient

Post by xient »

xient - 138260

Thanks Zerst. That waggle method works great. Now if I could just survive.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die