Re: Sengoku Ace, Blaede and Cannon *New thread*

Post by professor ganson »

Way to go, saucykobold!
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Thanks, all.

Loop 1, loop 2
Hagane wrote:Are you going to try to improve your score or will you just leave it at an ALL?
I'd like to raise my score a bit. I can think of a few relatively simple ways of doing so--destroy more boss parts, leech some bosses and Kaen's orbs, find a good way to collect the 1-5 coin clusters, etc.
Battletoad wrote:This looks like one of the heavier Psikyo loops.
I'm guessing that Sengoku Blade is one of the harder Psikyo 2-ALLs if you're not using Aine, whose melee attack and bomb put him head and shoulders above most of the cast. For fun, compare TAD's 2-4 boss fight at 6:04 of this video with my, uh, highly tactical approach.
NTSC-J wrote:The only Psikyo games that remain to be beaten are Strikers 1945 Plus and Sol Divide. Anyone up for either of those fantastic games?
I've been slowly going through Psikyo's games in rough order of release as a sort of geeky shmup project. Who knows, I might enjoy Sol Divide enough to go for a clear somewhere down the line. I haven't played or even seen the game in action yet; can't be as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, right?
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Sol Divide is unfortunately pretty bad, mainly due to how big your character is. Looks cool though.

What's next for you? Strikers 1945? Mills could use the competition.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Damn, that video was great. Not sure I'd like Sengoku Blade much (bosses don't look that fun), but your rank-controlled play was really tense and amazing. I had no idea old Psikyo games had patterns change so much on high rank.

It's selfish of me, but might I suggest Dragon Blaze? It's a fantastic game, and not nearly enough people play it.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Play it, I'm sure that you'll like this game if you like Dragon Blaze. Basics from DB still apply here and is overall very fun, even if not quite as perfect as Psikyo's magnum opus. There are just so many ways to approach the game, every character so unique. Bosses depend on which character you use. They can end very fast (either way) if you use Katana / Ain and don't want to milk them, or take longer with most other characters.

Come on, Blade deserves more comp.

Saucy: from watching the first video, you can get some more points with little effort

- At temple stage, you can milk the orb sub boss a bit more, he does four waves of missiles for 3,000 extra points
- The fox mask of the second sub-boss is worth 10,000 IIRC, and it goes down in a single charge shot
- The spinning thinghies of the boss are worth 400 a piece, and you can kill more item carriers thanks to Aine's piercing shot. At 1-1 and 1-2 it's easy to pull off, but it can get tricky at 1-3

If you get air stage, reset. It's easy, but it gives much less points than the other three, around 110.000 ~ 120.000, whereas temple can give 155.000 in 1-2 and 1-3 (thanks to the extra potheads), forest can give as much as 180.000 (exploiting the respawning cannonmen - you can get up to five, pretty hard to do at 1-3 though - and then killing the enemies just before the sub-boss as fast as possible) and water around 160.000.

Milking Kaen is not as hard with Aine as with other characters, just kill every wave as soon as it comes out with a charge shot, aim over Kaen's head to avoid harming her.

For 1-5 you might want to use the rank control strat in the Katana replay I posted, it's better for Aine and Katana than the one I told you before (in TAD's run). It's easier and it allows you to get four cannonmen, for an extra 10,000. That vid also shows a good way to get the coins from the hands. Killing the second hand fast gives you two extra potheads for up to 9,000 extra points.

Nice method for getting the coins from the horses at 1-6! I'm gonna steal that one :D

All that should be easy for you and will give you extra points fast. Great run! I wish I could no-bomb the first loop like you.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Thanks for the tips, Hagane. Several weeks ago, I tried to learn the rank control method for 1-5 but found it to be rather tricky and delicate, more so than the route I used in the Youtube vid. I'll give it another try though. Everything else you mentioned should be pretty easy to incorporate.
NTSC-J wrote:What's next for you? Strikers 1945? Mills could use the competition.
RNGmaster wrote:It's selfish of me, but might I suggest Dragon Blaze? It's a fantastic game, and not nearly enough people play it.
After Blade, I think I'll go for a fairly quick 1-ALL in the first Strikers and then play II for several weeks. I'll definitely sit down with DB at some point (probably next year).
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Sengoku Blade
766,600 - Battletoad - 1-7 - Koyori - PS2

Haven't made it to stage 7 in other Psikyo games anywhere near that fast. Either Blade is easier than expected or the practice from the other games pays off so well. :)
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Updated!!!

I think Blaede have the easier first loop on psikyo games. The big problem at the first loop is the 1-5 stage at higher rank.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Sengoku Blade
1,905,200 - saucykobold - ALL - Aine - MAME

Sengoku Ace
751,200 - saucykobold - 2-1 - Kenomaru - MAME
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Sengoku Blade
835,600 - Battletoad - 1-7 - Koyori - PS2

Last boss. Can't even say that I've mastered anything from stage 5 on, I'm partly just bomb-spamming my way through. Practice runs next.
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Updated!!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Sengoku Blade
880,600 - Battletoad - 1-7 - Koyori - PS2

Almost there. Wouldn't have been deserved though. Trying to master the boss fights (and last stages) is really frustrating so far. God damn popcorn enemies are so annoying. Some patterns are kind of weird, too.
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Sengoku Ace
1,549,200 - saucykobold - ALL - Aine - MAME

Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Congratz for this score.

Updated!!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad wrote:Haven't made it to stage 7 in other Psikyo games anywhere near that fast. Either Blade is easier than expected or the practice from the other games pays off so well. :)
Still no 1CC in Blade. I might take this statement back... Some of the enemy and pattern combinations are pure hell. :lol:
I should have a deeper look at the superplay DVD to get safer strategies. And to understand certain patterns in the first place.

Sengoku Ace
590,600 - Battletoad - 1-7 - Gennai - PS2
Mills

Post by Mills »

NTSC-J wrote:Sol Divide is unfortunately pretty bad, mainly due to how big your character is. Looks cool though.

What's next for you? Strikers 1945? Mills could use the competition.
My 2 loop strategy is not much different from Saucykobold's youtube replay, except i shot down alot enemies 2nd loop. If Del had sorted out his supergun ages ago. I probably would at least post a superplay for Strikers1945, Tengai, Samurai Aces.
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Updated!!!

Are sengoku ace port for playstatiojn 2 playable? I never see it.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Seems fine with me. I would guess it's (near) perfect, haven't played the Arcade version much though and I'm not too picky about slight graphical deteriorations or whatever. The port has no slowdown either. I recall this one heavy, but not game-changing slowdown in MAME when the floor falls down in stage 6.

EDIT: And it supports tate not to forget.
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

I love see "Tateds Tvs". I do my Dragon blaze score on a 14 inches tated tv :D .
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Psikyo_Ball wrote:I love see "Tateds Tvs". I do my Dragon blaze score on a 14 inches tated tv :D .
Are you still working on DB?
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Nopes, im working on metal slug x and Super street fighter 2 turbo. I leave shumps for a bit
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

1,845,800 - Hagane - 2-6 - Katana - MAME

Daaaamn, I finished 2-5 with two lives and a bomb, died stupidly right at the beginning of 2-6 and then died again right away trying to get my power up back... could have got to 2-7 at least.
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Go go go!!!
Updated!!!
AeroCityMayor

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Hagane wrote:Image

1,845,800 - Hagane - 2-6 - Katana - MAME
Great score d00d - congrats!

Hagane wrote:... and then died again right away trying to get my power up back...
If I had a penny for every time that happened me in a Psikyo shooter I'd have £5.84

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

Ralph.
Entity formerly known as alien_mame!
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

Very nice! I think I'll be surrendering the top spot in the near future. :)
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Closer...

1,925,700 - Hagane - 2-6 - Katana - MAME

Did this a week or so ago but only now have the chance to post it since my PC crashed a while after I played this run. Reached the blue demon midboss with one life and zero bombs (messed up at the 2-5 boss), got nervous cause I was near saucy's score and died shortly after the houses/archers.
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Great score!!!. Updated!!
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Small improvement

1,967,400 - Hagane - 2-6 - Katana - MAME
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Sengoku Blade - 873,300 - blackoak - 2-1 - Aine - PCB

Sorry, I didn't take a picture. :\ Missed so many coins, could have been much higher...! Also, playing with Aine and his super powerful bomb feels like cheating. 2nd loop seems really fun, like a whole new game... I struggled just to get to the 2-1 boss. I might try to make a mame savestate if the input lag isn't bad. Or does the Saturn or PS2 have a level select for practice?
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

Updated!!

I dont play sengoku blade on saturn. I test it on playstation 2 and it have a "practice mode".

New score for me:

1,024,200 - Psikyo_ball - 2-1- Junis - MAME