Gyruss. NES version.

zaphod

Gyruss. NES version.

Post by zaphod »

Pick either control a or control b, your choise. No 30 lives code (yes this game has one)

This is a very manic version of Gyruss, much different form the original. Think of it as Gyruss 90 and you'll enjoy it a LOT.

You must post score and stage number. You must reach stage 21 or higher to even get on the board. (this will force you to use skillz nd not point scabing on the easy stages. :) )

I'll start with this score. WIll return witha better one. I forget if the game loops or not.

Zaphod 628,000 Stage 35

Watch out for the solar snails in stage 9-11! They are MEAN

Code: Select all

MSZ     2,255,400            Stage   3-23 
Shiftace   795400            Stage   1-39 
Zaphod    759,550            Stage   1-39
RFP       721,100            Stage   1-38

Last edited by zaphod on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

795400, stage 1-39

I used to play Gyruss a bit, it does loop (so I think putting a "1-" on front of first loop stages is a good idea). I don't have an NES right now, so I had to emulate this. Be aware that there is a widely available ROM that doesn't work in some emulators, it may have been hacked to work in Nesticle or something.

It took me a couple plays to remember how nasty the game is about point-blanking. And the boss fight at Jupiter is just painful. It's not hard, if you're patient, but I'm not patient.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Gyrus NEVER pointblanks you!

1) ships coming on from edge of screen cannot hurt you with collisions until they've left your circular track
2) normal that are within 1.5 shiplengths of yoo or so will not fire. any ship farther away can and will. You can dodge. If you think a ship point blanked you it's NOT SO. it's another ship's shot that came from farther away and went thru the ones nearby.
3) all other enemies fire in very well-defined circumstances. and they never get too close to dodge.

Yes, the point black safe distance is fairly small, but it's ALWAYS sufficient, and shots are very predictable in this game.

There are cheap shots the game throws at you, but point blanking is NOT an issue.

Cheap spots in the game are

1) Pluto's boss. you can get trapped and die if you are unlucky. Fortunately it's pretty eeearly in the game.
2) those solar snails between pluto and uranus. These take two shots to kill and if you don't get right on top of them (with two very close together double cannon shots) they can go crazy on you and dance all the way across the screen at warp speed to kill you.
3) well, that's it really, though the solar flare stage (38) is very nasty, and is borderline cheap.

Nothing else in the game is cheap. (including, but not limited to, binoculars, amoebas, mine layes, armored ships that always get their shot off before they die.)
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

My big complaint about close-range shots is that when I'm trying to kill a line of ships for points, about half of them or less will manage to shoot, and it's not obvious to me which 2 or 3 of them are going to fire, and therefore exactly when I need to nudge out of the way. And with the amount of crap immediately in front of the ship when that's happening, I tend to not see the bullets, sometimes at all.

The snails are manageable, even with the shell blown off. They always move from the center to the edge and back, just with wide zig-zags thrown in, so you really only need to avoid them for a couple critical seconds. Go to the opposite side of the screen as they get close, then come back and shoot at them as they retreat. Not hard unless there's 3 or more of them.

The homing suns didn't bother me any...
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Odd. I have no trouble predicting the shots. But if you ar ehaving trouble just do a few small nudges, and they will have a much harder time tracking your ship. you stay still in front of them, they shoot at you.

A simple experiment will prove the predictability of shots.

First level. Destroy each formation at it's first turn point. When you destroy the fourth formation, the sattelites that appear will get off one shot just before you blast the last one, and you WILL be able to dodge it and still nail the last ship before you move. It happens the same way every time.

On the other hand i've had a solar snail go out to near te edge, dart about 45 degrees around, dart in a little bit, going another 90 egrees, then reverse course back towards the edge again and kill me when i was on the other side. and i just played aain and got cheezed by the pluto boss. it just wouldn't move in towards the center until it killed me twice!
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

2,255,400 3-23 control type A

The boss fights after loop 1 are nasty...I lost 5 remaining lives in 3-23 alone.(Mars boss)

EDIT: So I played the total of 101 stages.(39 + 39 + 23)
Limbrooke

Re: Gyruss. NES version.

Post by Limbrooke »

Gyruss (NTSC-U/C - Control A)

Code: Select all

RFP    721,100            Stage   1-38
Was giving it a go and pardon losing a huge chunk of lives on the Stage 19 boss (the two-armed bastard) I managed travel pretty far. I've seen the loop before and can agree the bosses can get pretty loco.

zaphod: by solar snails, do you mean those enemies that transform into some hairy buggers and begin moving much faster upon approach to the foreground?
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

yes those are the ones I mean. they are PUNKS.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 2,933,650 - 5-7

Aw, nuts. Wanted to get three millions, but it was not to be. Oh well.

Remembered this game to be good, was delighted to see it being great. Such a fun, twitchy game, it never gets boring at any single point. You can play without dying for a long period of time or you can lose several lives in a row if you're not careful, excellent design. I'm still terrible at getting the bonus at the chance rounds, I got it a single time during the entire run, it's depressing. Had to get to 4-5 to even reach MSZ's score. Was playing quite well otherwise, though, before I started to get tired. Bosses on subsequent loops are no joke, indeed.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

By request, here's a new thread. You can submit arcade version scores there too.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!