Giga Wing

crithit5000

Re: Giga Wing (The third coming)

Post by crithit5000 »

Battletoad wrote:Stage 6 is one serious bastard, but can seemingly become easier with practise. Except for the bulletspraying pattern of the right wing and the center part (after the right wing is destroyed) as well as the pattern with the ring-shaped bullets shot by the cube. These are really :shock:

Indeed, with enough practice, 6 is a walk in the park...except for the cube part. If I die or bomb on stage 6, it's always on the cube.
Battletoad wrote:EDIT: By the way why does stanski's score have a "7" at the end? I looked up his old posting, he really wrote is that way. Must be a typing error though, he can´t have achieved such a score with 7 continues... ;)

Thanks for pointing this out, I agree it's probably just a random mistake. Scoreboard updated.
now tighter than your sister
Paradigm
Banned User

Post by Paradigm »

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here.

Whenever I try to play Giga Wing on MAME (either US or Jap version) I just get a black screen with this message on screen:

OUT OF RANGE
H: 29.7k V: 59.9

All other shmups I've tried on MAME work fine, can anyone help?

*Edit - Mars Matrix is the only other MAME ROM that does the same thing.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Third_strike 134'1242'4446'8780 Ruby ALL
Two bombs in stage 4, then I sucked in bomb bonus.
At least I got the 1LC and did one good stage 7 almost couter stoped the multiplier (it was 48,834,683).

Whenever I try to play Giga Wing on MAME (either US or Jap version) I just get a black screen with this message on screen:

OUT OF RANGE

OUT OF RANGE

Maybe any with roms.

Cool!
Cool!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Paradigm wrote:Just wondering if anyone can help me out here.

OUT OF RANGE

Don´t know... Have you already tried different Mame versions?
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 19'9540'5035'2900 - 6 - Isha - DC

Better scoring, at least 12 million multiplier this time, but I died too soon in stage 6 with still one bomb in stock.
The main thing that pisses me off... I accidentally pressed Start after my last death and so I couldn´t enter my initials. What the hell :evil:
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Nice, cool indeed :D !
With 12 you would can almost double you score after past the stage 6.
Play for beat the proper best multiplier is very fun, try this maybe you like.
See in my last run I have not one great improvement in score but I manage got one 31M multiplier after o stage 5 boss, I get happy more because the multiplier than the score. Well found any thing for get happy is my main strategy in any game I play. When all fails I get happy because I could dodge one determined pattern, or because memorize determined part of game, or because did well in at least one stage, or … anything. Is necessary do this or I would stop play in one week.
Cool!
Last edited by third_strike on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

third_strike wrote:Nice, cool indeed :D !
With 12 you would can almost double you score after past the stage 6.
Hm sounds nice, I gotta keep playing then. ;)
third_strike wrote:Play for beat the proper best multiplier is very fun, try this maybe you like.
See in my last run I have not one great improvement in score but I manage got one 31M multiplier after o stage 5 boss, I get happy more because the multiplier than the score. Well found any thing for get happy is my main strategy in any game I play. When all fails I get happy because I could dodge one determined pattern, or because memorize determined part of game, or because did well in at least one stage, or … anything. Is necessary do this or I would stop play in one week.
Yeah sometimes I take it a bit too serious and get frustrated too fast. I tend to forget what hard work shooters are and expect too much of myself. But just sometimes, most of the time I´m also having great fun with this awesome game, even on the slightly crappy runs.

Since I´m playing with Isha (I simply don´t want to miss the homing missiles), I think I won´t get superhigh multipliers. But raising it piece by piece worked out well till now and was fun of its own. The air carrier boss for example is still not perfect, so there´s still room for improvements. But Isha is cool anyway, not just because being a fighting nun and her cool ship, but it gives me an additional goal: to attain the best Isha score on the board. No way to achieve that with Ruby... ^^
third_strike wrote:Keep on moving Batt!
Cool!
Yeah, continue having some Giga fun, too! :D

Yesterday I felt like I should unlock the stage 7 Score Attack by changing the options for Arcade Mode. Worked out and I played some tries, but really crappy, so I don´t post a score yet. Just have to bother crithit5000 once more as I once again managed to break my promises.
Battletoad wrote:My updated Score Attacks, done for now except stage 5 and 6 which I´ll keep practicing.
:oops:
Sorry pal, just felt like playing some more in each stage... At least the visual appearance should now be better, because I´ve done all Score Attack highscores with Isha. ;)
But I´m finally at the point where I don´t see further considerable improvements coming or the necessity to practise the first 4 stages anymore, at least not in Score Attack mode.

Stage 1
Battletoad - 115'3611'4219'0570 - Isha
Stage 2
Battletoad - 107'0926'5571'6100 - Isha
Stage 3
Battletoad - 25'7797'0142'8640 - Isha

Stage 5
Battletoad - 59'5974'5897'9010 - Isha
Stage 6
Battletoad - 90'8390'5587'4760 - Isha
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Sucked in stage 7 this time.
Third_strike 143'2743'8900'4720 Ruby ALL
it gives me an additional goal: to attain the best Isha score on the board.
Then good luck in this goal.
Cool!
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Battletoad wrote:Just have to bother crithit5000 once more as I once again managed to break my promises.
I'm getting quite used to my daily routine of waking up and opening my email to see "Topic reply notification" at least once and then have it be you or third_strike posting a new score.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Posting scores often is definitely nothing to apologize for, but should be commended. :) Oh crap, now crithit5000 is gonna check this thread for false alarm, someone post a score. :P

third_strike has over tripled my score, and I was apparently top 10 here before he knocked me out, lol. Exponential scoring, blah blah, still funny.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Enhasa wrote:Oh crap, now crithit5000 is gonna check this thread for false alarm, someone post a score.
Too late, you're all getting written up for this malarkey plus a day of suspension. Any further funny business will lead to termination.
Enhasa wrote:Posting scores often is definitely nothing to apologize for, but should be commended.
Doesn't bother me at all, actually. I like to see everyone's progress, I just like playing Mr. Grumpy Internet Guy. Or Mr. Internet Troll, on occasion.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

crithit5000 wrote:Doesn't bother me at all, actually. I like to see everyone's progress, I just like playing Mr. Grumpy Internet Guy. Or Mr. Internet Troll, on occasion.
Oh, I wasn't implying that it bothered you, that was just to Battletoad. 8)

Hoho I tripped your thread notification again see what I did there!

Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Enhasa wrote:Hoho I tripped your thread notification again see what I did there!
You´re a bloody bastard! ;)
And don´t worry, I post scores whenever I want to... the topic owner should decide how often he actually wants to update.

crithit5000, please just change stage 6 Score Attack to Isha, that´s it for today. :P
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

D'oh, I keep forgetting to check your character. And just for fun, I'm going to play as Isha today and see what I get...
crithit5000

Re: Giga Wing

Post by crithit5000 »

crithit5000 - 6'8550'7048'6910 - Isha - Stage 4

My goof-off session with Isha went terribly today; only 6 trillion by stage 4. I'm currently sick to death of playing Ruby, and I can't seem to get a run together with her even though I know I can break 100 trillion. So I'm changing my Giga Wing gameplan to see if I can rock someone else for a bit, just to get a change...I guess. Will I surpass my old score of 72 trillion with Ruby? I'm thinking a slightly positive maybe. Hmmm...
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

If you're gonna switch, I'd go with Stuck since he has the highest potential, but mostly because he's badass and really fun to use. Well, Isha is even more badass, and really all the characters are minus the main dude, but hey.

A little while after we played this in STGT, I too tried a goof-off run with Isha instead of Ruby, and I only had like 10-12 trillion stage 6 myself. I was playing Mars Matrix for score a couple months ago, so I think I might play this one next. MM turns you into a full-grown bullet eatin' man's man, so I was thinking maybe some of that could transfer over. Plus this game doesn't have bullshit enemy chaining!

ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Paradigm wrote:OUT OF RANGE
That looks like an error message from your monitor. Go to the properties for the affected games and tell MAME to use a different resolution or refresh rate.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Enhasa wrote:If you're gonna switch, I'd go with Stuck since he has the highest potential, but mostly because he's badass and really fun to use. Well, Isha is even more badass, and really all the characters are minus the main dude, but hey.
Yeah Sinnosuke sucks... the others are all great. Just Stuck is too difficult for me, at least at the moment. Maybe I´ll try him later, but for now I´ll focus on Isha.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

8) The multiplier counter stop:
But I sucked in bomb use and don't beat my score.
I will get very busy in real life in next 10 days, but I will try play this if I found one free time.
Cool!
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 20'5996'3608'7130 - 6 - Isha - DC

Not too much better, but I can see the light at the horizon... In this run I died once in early stage 2. A missile hit me, didn´t see it because of my own homing missiles. :lol:
But in the end quite equal run, because I forced myself not to bomb from that point on (starting to bomb again in stage 5). In Score Attack I need just 3 bombs most of the time to get through stage 5, but in the main game it´s more like 5 bombs.

On another run, I finished the stage 6 boss off with the first life of my second credit. I´m really close... just need a few hundred more tries to reach stage 7. :roll: ;)
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Changed for Stuck 2 days ago and it is really hard for use. I will use this post for note my progress. ( :oops: I relly like see my progress).

Code: Select all

Third_strike        72'8961'7657'6470   Stuck   Stage 7 (Sun Dec 13, 2009)
Third_strike        83'8004'0913'4540   Stuck   ALL     (Wed Dec 16, 2009)
Third_strike       109'5119'0571'4540   Stuck   Stage 7 (Sat Dec 19, 2009)
Third_strike       115'xxxx'xxxx'xxxx   Stuck   ALL     (Wed Dec 30, 2009)
Third_strike       127'1355'1796'0780   Stuck   ALL     (Sun Jan 03, 2010)
Third_strike       137'3912'7850'9230   Stuck   ALL     (Sun Jan 03, 2010)
Third_strike       152'5956'8970'5500   Stuck   ALL     (Wed Jan 06, 2010)
Third_strike       157'6333'1460'7030   Stuck   ALL     (Wed Jan 13, 2010)
Third_strike       162'2733'8896'9180   Stuck   ALL     (Wed Jan 13, 2010)
Third_strike       175'4398'7504'4020   Stuck   ALL     (Thu Jan 14, 2010)
Third_strike       177'0652'2969'3440   Stuck   ALL     (Wed Jan 20, 2010)
Third_strike       178'4117'6882'1250   Stuck   ALL     (Thu Jan 21, 2010)
Third_strike       182'4145'8843'0220   Stuck   ALL     (Thu Jan 21, 2010)
Third_strike       187'6935'2714'7830   Stuck   ALL     (Sun Jan 24, 2010)
Third_strike       191'0324'4517'4120   Stuck   ALL     (Fri Jan 29, 2010)
Third_strike       198'0317'2201'7270   Stuck   ALL     (Mon Feb 01, 2010)
Third_strike       203'2247'3953'9870   Stuck   ALL     (Sat Feb 06, 2010)
Cool!
Last edited by third_strike on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Battletoad - 21'9805'2790'6750 - 6 - Isha - DC

Some days old already and not a real improvement, but I didn´t play very much GW lately, definitely needed a pause. In some days I can try it on a bigger TV which might help to reach stage 7. Then I´ll also play more intensively again.
By the way, the numbers of the ranks went a bit crazy in the Arcade table. ;)
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Score updated, my doofus counting error fixed.

Quicky request: Anyone know of any Sinnosuke or Isha replays (video or input) that clear the game? Mainly just to round the list of videos, really.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Don´t know, but if I have the patience and skill (not so sure for both ^^) that it takes to finish Giga Wing, I´ll definitely switch over to Mame and record an input file. Well wait, I´ll switch over to Mame sooner or later anyways because it´s easier there to finish the game... So I might be your Isha man.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

third_strike wrote:
crithit5000 wrote: Quicky request: Anyone know of any Sinnosuke or Isha replays (video or input) that clear the game? Mainly just to round the list of videos, really.
Finally the busy days is over.
I Can do the INP, but I will bomb like one crazy ond the score will be low.
Cool!
Isha Inp final score is 66'3142'5098'6150 - ALL wolfmame 106
http://rapidshare.com/files/325973028/S ... a.rar.html
I only can say Isha's hit box is really hard for figure, then I was in safe way for All this.
Cool!
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Well done, third_strike. I'm going to go ahead and link that, and if you don't mind in a few days I'll try to get it into video form and get it up on Youtube.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

How can you make a video from an inp file? Other possibilities than Fraps?
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

crithit5000 wrote:if you don't mind in a few days I'll try to get it into video form and get it up on Youtube.
I can try do a better Inp if you want, only give me 3 days, would be nice get one more digit with Isha for replay.
Cool!
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Battletoad wrote:How can you make a video from an inp file? Other possibilities than Fraps?
Yeah, using a screen recorder like Fraps is one way and probably the worst way. Some versions of MAME32 let you record a raw avi file, which was how I did some of my various videos (EK-MAME, to be exact). Since this is WolfMAME and doesn't have this feature, I'm doing a little research into how it could be done.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

crithit5000 wrote:Some versions of MAME32 let you record a raw avi file, which was how I did some of my various videos (EK-MAME, to be exact).
Ah yeah, but this can only be done during the actual gameplay and not during a replay, right? The game had serious lags when I tried this with MameUI 0.135u2